PDA

View Full Version : Daily Commute Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

jr98664
02-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Can you believe it? 500 posts on this topic.

Anyway, I was cycling to school on Wednesday morning along one of my usual routes. On Wednesday, school starts 30 minutes later, and I was very glad to finally have the sun out for my morning commute. Unfortunately, this sun only served to make clear the glass and gravel still left over in the bike lanes on NE 136th Ave from the winter storm. Normally the city would have had this swept immediately, but I've been waiting weeks since reporting the problem, and everything is still supposedly on a backlog.

Now, I've mentioned this location before. Here's a map for reference (http://tinyurl.com/4pqsdp). This was the location that an Evergreen High School student was killed on his bike by another student who swerved into the bike lane. Here's an article about it (http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2007/06/update_driver_victim_in_fatal.html).

I have to turn left at Mill Plain anyway, and I've never really liked that curve. With the bike lanes still filthy with glass and gravel, I have no qualms about simply taking the right-hand lane. I'm sitting to take a left turn at the light when a middle-aged man in a white contractor's van rolls down his window and starts yelling at me. He starts yelling at how I need to use the bike lane, "because that's what it's there for" and so I mention that I have the legal right to take the lane even with a bike lane (unlike Oregon's law). Then he essentially gives me a death threat when he tells me that I'm going to get killed for not riding in the bike lane. And I fire back something to the effect of "Yeah, right in the spot where that high schooler got killed while riding in the bike lane. I'll get right on that."

Haven_kd7yct
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Haha! Nice snappy comeback, JR! :) :) :)

K'Tesh
02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
You mentioned a high schooler hit and killed in a bike lane... I'm concerned...
I haven't heard anything about Kristopher Miles in some time... I'm hoping that he's healing well.

God Bless
K'Tesh

M Cook
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I almost hit a skunk yesterday morning. There's at least one that hangs around the springwater trail early in the morning. Watch out.

K'Tesh
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I almost hit a skunk yesterday morning. There's at least one that hangs around the springwater trail early in the morning. Watch out.

That Stinks! Hope it didn't spray!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

jr98664
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
You mentioned a high schooler hit and killed in a bike lane... I'm concerned...
I haven't heard anything about Kristopher Miles in some time... I'm hoping that he's healing well.

God Bless
K'Tesh

To be honest, I don't know much about the high schooler that was killed on 136th Ave. It occurred shortly before I actively began cycling. My curiosity was piqued when I saw saw the sign that is visible in Google Maps Street View (http://tinyurl.com/4pqsdp).

I did some searching and came up with this article (http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnaews/2007/06/update_driver_victim_in_fatal.html) from the Oregonian and this one (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/7806087.html) from KOMO in Seattle. There were a few more, but the links seem to have gone dead.

I ride this stretch of 136th twice every single day, and I've never really liked the bike lanes. In most places, they are barely over four feet, and that's being generous and including the lane line. Heading northbound, there is even one bend opposite the one where Daniel Jackson was struck where the bike lane narrows to just over three feet. Even worse, cars cut over in in taking the curve all of the time. So much so, in fact, that earlier this summer the bike lane line was completely rubbed off. During the fall, they repainted the lines after some repaving work, and left that section at only three feet wide. I contacted the city about fixing that, along with the fact that the bike lane is to the right of a right turn only lane at Mill Plain, but they said that it would be cost preventative to grind the paint off of the road to change it. Hopefully they can at least get it done next time they repaint it.

I've also been waiting for NE 9th Street to get connected behind the WinCo Foods up the street, as this would improve my commute and keep me off of 136th. It's been in the works for a good while, and there are currently only about 275 feet between road sections, but I was told by a friend who works up the street that due to budget constraints, the project would not be going through at all. What really miffs me though is the fact that to get across this gap, it requires traveling 1.3 miles by going up to NE 18th Street, or a full 2.3 miles by going all of the way south to Mill Plain Boulevard. I would really be happy with just a sidewalk through here, as it's a real damper for pedestrian connectivity. How would you feel if you lived a block away from a grocery store, but it took a 25-minute-long walk to get there?

As for Kris Miles, he looks to be slowly improving according to the updates on his website: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/krismiles

M Cook
02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I actually grazed a skunk this morning. He ran right in my way. I lifted my legs up and let him rub down the right side of the bike. Didn't spray me, but geez. This is getting silly.

K'Tesh
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
When I heard today that Hwy 217 had been turned into an ice rink down by SW Greenburg, I thought I should avoid it. So, I decided I'd try the WES again... Nope... it's full with a whopping two bikes already loaded.

Since things are not as bad as I thought I decided I'd ride in. I thought about Fanno Creek Trail, but then I looked at Hwy 217 and it was a parking lot. I went out on Hwy 217, and safely passed nearly every vehicle out there. It was odd not having the cars passing me (but I liked it).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Psyfalcon
02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
No real problems today. Some slush, I was slower than normal.

Got some unneccesary honking while getting on 99w. Sorry, "bridges may freeze before roadway." I do not intend to fly onto a sheet of ice, I'll go slow, thank you.

I also got a lot of honking on Terwilliger last week.... bike route... nice. Really.

dan hawk
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, only half of a commute today. My wife was able to drop me off downtown on her way to another destination. I actually got off a little early so it was still daylight the whole way home from the US Bancorp tower to home near the Adventist hospital.

For some reason it seemed even colder than it was...and it took me a couple hours to warm up after I got home. It rained the whole time and when I got home I looked and the temp. was 38 degrees.

This is my first week at this new office, so I kinda poked along and tried a couple different route choices. Right around 7 miles each way.

Dan

Bent Bloke
02-13-2009, 07:45 AM
I normally see a dozen or so bikers by the time I get to the Hawthorne Bridge (about 8.5 miles to that point) during my 6:00 am commute, but today: Not. A. Single. Bike.

I saw no other bikes until I got to 6th & Madison. I thought I was in some sort of sci-fi movie where all the people disappear. Except there were still cars and pedestrians, of course.

biciclero
02-13-2009, 10:57 AM
To the Person who followed me down Millikan Way, from Hall to Schottky on Thursday night, 2/12/09 at around 7-ish:

I was the dude with the yellow reflective sash, PB red blinky, and big oval reflectors on my panniers. Maybe you will read this, maybe not:

Thank you for being a knowledgeable and respectful rider! Thank you for using a headlight. Thanks for not pulling up beside me at stops, or attempting to pass me by blowing stops! Thank you for waiting while I stopped for that pedestrian who was crossing the street at Watson. Thanks for following me into the lane to avoid/pass the right-turning traffic at Cedar Hills.

I hope I signaled adequately to let you know what I was up to, and I hope I didn't hold you up too much. Sincerely--your conduct is greatly appreciated!

K'Tesh
02-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I spent the weekend, prepairing for the Worst Day Ride, volunteering for it, and then happened across the Winter Olympics.

I had fun, and didn't see any mishaps... However, at the turn (onto the sidewalk (NE 54th and Sandy) by the Bike Gallery rest stop, I noticed that there was one of those bike eating storm drains. I called that one in, but I'm not certain that I'm getting the response that I have been in the past... None of the ones on N. Interstate that I called in weeks ago were dealt with.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/3290727280_1659b32035.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157605640010375/)
NE 54th Ave and Sandy

If you feel that those drains are a hazard... CALL THEM IN!!! (503) 823 1700, perhaps even calling that last one in too.

Didn't see much of the MBWO, and couldn't take any pictures, my battery flatted out during the WDYR.

Rode home up and over the West Hills on both Saturday and Sunday, and ended up with 93 miles for the weekend (which is 150 Km, which nicely coincides with the age of our fine state here...) Happy Birthday Oregon! And Many More! :D

Flatted on the last 1/2 mile on the way home, so I had to walk that part. Today, I'm feeling a bit drained, but not in any pain or really stiff, so that's a good sign.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

jr98664
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Today I was riding in my normal area around the Firstenberg Center in Vancouver. And what did I see for the first time in 2009? Another cyclist that was obviously commuting. :D

It was a beautiful day, and it's only a matter of time before the fair-weather cyclists come out for 2009. Everyone have their bike bells at the ready?

hemp22
02-19-2009, 08:24 AM
similar experience this morning - i'm almost always alone on my commute, but spent a good long chunk of it in a group of 3 this morning. the nice weather does make 'em come out of the woodwork...

boneshaker
02-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Bloody cold in Beaverton today. It always surprises me how much colder it is than Portland. I almost busted out the balacava this morning, but I wasn't in the ninja mood.

vja4Him
02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Today it was raining .... I kept waiting for the rain to let up, so I could go out for a ride. I finally couldn't wait any longer, and just took off into the rain! Got lucky today though. The rain turned into a heavy sprinkle for the entire commute. Then just when I got back home, the sky opened up and we had torrential rain for a couple hours!!

I had just cleaned my bike really good twice in the past week too!!! Now I have to clean it all over again ....

K'Tesh
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Tried to commute in today, it started sprinkling by mile 2, raining by mile 3, and I was forced to use TriMet for the last 3 1/2 miles... I don't like getting cotton clothes wet.

Headed off to a family dinner tonight (had a lot of fun with my Mom, Sister, Brother-in-Law, and the Nieces), and ODOT hasn't yet cleared the gravel on 99W. TriMet to the rescue (again)...

NUTZ, I'd rather have ridden the bike, but I don't need repeats of last week, and wet pavement doesn't help a whole lot.

Oh, well... I'm just shy of 1000 Miles for the YTD. I'll just have to make up the lost training with the Wii Fit.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
As I was leaving my office the other day, waiting to make a right turn from the parking lot into a bike lane, I slowed, looked left for cars and bikes, looked right for peds (limited sight distance) and even for bikes going the wrong way in the bike lane. Started to pull out when I saw there was a lady riding the wrong way on the sidewalk. Almost fell over trying to stop again to avoid a collision. She mumbled "excuse me" as she passed in front of me; I couldn't think of what to say quickly enough. Like so many times, I think of what to say long after it will do any good. The frustrating part is she probably thinks I am the one who messed up by not paying more attention (which is partly true, but still).

dan hawk
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
On my new normal commute I've encountered the same situation for the past 3 days. At the East Bound intersection of 11th & Hawthorne, there is a liquor store on the right hand side. the last parking spot at the intersection seems to always be empty and I've been cut off the last 3 days in a row by some fool cutting across a car lane and then the bike lane for that spot. I almost smacked right into a 7 series BMW today as it happened. The rest of the commute is beautiful...I don't even mind the return through SW 3rd and Madison and South bound on 5th st downtown!

The last couple mornings were Cccccold!

Dan

jr98664
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Hopefully the fog cleared for you guys before you had to get out on your bike. During my commute at 7 am, however, visibility was between around five blocks at best, and sometimes as bad as only one or two blocks.

My commute is just over four miles long one-way, and in those fifteen to twenty minutes that I was riding, at least three or four cars nearly hit me. Each one didn't have their lights on. Just imagine being followed by a grey Prius for a couple of blocks when they don't have their lights on. They're completely invisible when you check over your shoulder.

I never thought I would say it, but now that the sun is coming up before 7 am, I am really starting to miss riding to school in the dark. When it was dark, at least you could be sure that everyone had their lights on.

floppyears
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Today it was raining .... I kept waiting for the rain to let up, so I could go out for a ride. I finally couldn't wait any longer, and just took off into the rain! Got lucky today though. The rain turned into a heavy sprinkle for the entire commute. Then just when I got back home, the sky opened up and we had torrential rain for a couple hours!!

I had just cleaned my bike really good twice in the past week too!!! Now I have to clean it all over again ....

Yeah, I sometimes get compulsive about riding my bike. I don't usually mind riding on the rain because I have a pair of good jackets and pants for the rain.

K'Tesh
03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
It is with GREAT JOY, I can report that the gravel from December's storm has finally been swept up!

Now if the weather will only cooperate and keep ODOT from putting more gravel out...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

bubbaPDX
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Billy in Easy Rider (1969): "What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about."

Here's a big "air quotes" THANKS to the two humorless 30-somethings -- otherwise properly outfitted -- blithely blowing the signals on SW 3rd and SW Morrison this morning as the rest of us sheep (on bicycles and in cars) sit at the lights.

What a comforting thought that, perhaps, motorists will associate their behavior with me -- and, accordingly, show less courtesy or (oh boy) more aggression.

Oh, and lest I neglect to mention, let's not forget the same variety stampeding across the Hawthorne Bridge in the evening, crawling up our butts even as pedestrian traffic thickens in the warming weather.

It's all about the freedom, man.

K'Tesh
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Perhaps you've noticed, I've been awfully quiet lately...

My workplace is now enforcing it's no surfing the web (blogging, personnal emailing, etc) policy.

I haven't been disiplined or anything, but I don't want to be either.

I'm still using my cell's minutes during free time to advocate for better conditions (especially on the Tigard Hall/Railroad crossing, Fanno Creek Trail, 99W Hwy, and anywhere else I'm finding things that can be fixed).

Anyway, I've been busy, and after work and riding, I'm not left with lots of time... but I'm still out there and active.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3328442157_fc3fbcb0c3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/3328442157/in/set-72157614806392270)
photo by J. Maus

That branch WAS at face level on Terwilliger, but a Ranger model Swiss Army Knife and some sweat equity, and it's not a problem now.

On another subject, I'm now able to ride from Goose Hollow up to the Zoo without putting my foot down. Yay!!!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

bp071117
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM
That branch WAS at face level on Terwilliger, but a Ranger model Swiss Army Knife and some sweat equity, and it's not a problem now.

Ouch! Was it recent? I didn't notice it on my commute yesterday. Was it in the north bound or south bound lane?

K'Tesh
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Ouch! Was it recent? I didn't notice it on my commute yesterday. Was it in the north bound or south bound lane?

bp,

It was last Tuesday night. We were heading from the Tuesday night get together at the Lucky Lab in SW, heading downhill into Pdx.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

jr98664
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
As I was riding home from the Alice Awards on Saturday, rain and snow was predicted. Thankfully, it didn't start to rain until I was back in Vancouver, although it sure did pour. Then, just a few blocks from home, it turned into a much more pleasant snow.

Today, on my way to school, it snowed again. Then on my way home, it was a bit on the windy side, but otherwise completely fine. As I turn to the west for my final half mile, the wind shifts and starts gusting from the west. Out of nowhere, it begins to hail so fiercely that I have to come close to fully covering my face. Even with my cycling cap and glove covering my face, it was still a bit of a pain.

Short of a motorcycle helmet, does anyone have any suggestions of hail-proofing your face?

Psyfalcon
03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
1. Telecommute, or get sick, as required.

2. Was it hail or sleet? Hail forms in convective, thunderstorm type clouds. Sleet is frozen rain.

bp071117
03-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Short of a motorcycle helmet, does anyone have any suggestions of hail-proofing your face?

For the BB size stuff I encountered yesterday my visor and balaclava worked fine. For the big stuff I just find shelter until it passes.

t27
03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Can you immagine what someone from the midwest must think when we bother to mention BB sized hail and sanding gravel on the road. Sanding gravel is nothing compared to drifts of snow and hail isn't hail until it dents cars and smashes crops. I remember hiding in a culvert in Colorado from golf balls falling out of the sky only to start worrying about flash floods. I can't remember sanding gravel ever being picked up and piles remained all summer.

I didn't ride because of weather once this winter, but didn't drive a couple of days either. Life is good.

bubbaPDX
03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I didn't ride because of weather once this winter, but didn't drive a couple of days either. Life is good.

Amen to that. I smiled at the snow pellets yesterday, warmed by thoughts of not being in upstate New York or New England. I'm finding the weather here... interesting. But not punishing.

2nd cause for celebration: we sold our (redundant) 2nd car this past weekend and, for the first time in 15 years, we are now a One Car Household!

Not a Car-Free Household, but moving in the right direction!

Schrauf
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Glad to see this thread is going strong - I started it about 15 months ago!

I am currently living in Spokane while my wife is in physical therapy school. Hope to be back in Portland in about two years.

Motorists are surprisingly relatively friendly to cyclists here in Spokane, but the roads are another story. It think the roads are the worst possible I have ever seen, third world countries excluded. A mountain bike is mandatory if you want to ride quickly and not zigzag around potholes. This is what the lowest tax rates in the region will get you!

At least most of the snow is gone. The December storms (80 inches in three weeks) left snow berms four feet high and roads at about 60% of normal width. Until very recently. Needless to say winter cyclists are in the middle of the traffic mix whether they want to be or not.

The weather is almost back to bearable, although this morning my face almost froze off during my three mile ride down the hill into downtown. The temperature was five. Degrees.

Studded tires have been invaluable! Useless in more than five inches of snow, but that amount of snow all at once is rare.

Even worse than snow is the constant potassium chloride they spray on the roads so motorists can zip along at full speed and not have to worry about ice. Several rides in that crap, and well, picture your gears and cables clogged with a layer of a waxy, sticky, greasy, honey-like toe jam. Yummy.

Can't wait to get back to Portland...

biciclero
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Got called a "queer" for the umpteenth time on my way home last night. It was yelled from a truck going the opposite direction. Amusing.

jr98664
03-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Got called a "queer" for the umpteenth time on my way home last night. It was yelled from a truck going the opposite direction. Amusing.

I was sitting at the light on NE Thurston Way at SR 500 right by the Vancouver mall on Wednesday evening on my way home from a nice, long ride. A car pulls up two lanes away, and I can hear the guys inside snickering, also throwing out a similar insult. I turn to tell them that I can hear them, only to notice that it's a small car crammed full with four or five guys all dressed in no more than shorts and wife-beaters. I'm just saying.

t27
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Isn't it amusing how the guy sitting on his oversized backside with his belly rolled over his belt calls out insults about the machismo of the guy in great shape riding up the hill. Do they call out similar insults to women on bikes?

And, is "queer" still an insult? Or, does it just mean you know how to dress sharp? Is that just another strereotype?

I do get at least as many encouraging comments as insults from motorists these days.

I was once startled by excited shouting from a car. When I caught up with them, they turned out to be Columbians expressing their cultural enthusiasm for bikes, sport, and life in general.

Richard Seton
03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Well, I can't resist this one. I had a car load of what looked like college age girls pass me yesterday afternoon on SW Broadway. One of them leaned out the window and yelled "nice biker buns" at me.

They probably didn't realize that I'm older than their fathers!

lynnef
03-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, I can't resist this one. I had a car load of what looked like college age girls pass me yesterday afternoon on SW Broadway. One of them leaned out the window and yelled "nice biker buns" at me.

They probably didn't realize that I'm older than their fathers!

Ditto for teen boys, where, yes, I'm older than their mothers! Curl up and DIE!

t27
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Special shade of red-

That was the color of the girls faces when I caught them at the next light and reminded them to mind their manners in my best schoolmaster tone.

K'Tesh
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
@ Schrauf

As I said before, I wish I had thought of it before you did... ;)

Rubberside Down!

floppyears
03-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Wow you guys must be in awesome shape. How far can you guys get in a single ride?

K'Tesh
03-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Wow you guys must be in awesome shape. How far can you guys get in a single ride?

I stand in at almost 5' 11", weigh in at 313lbs (yes, you read that right... a BMI of 40+), and can ride a hundred miles in 13 hours. Last thursday, I rode with ZPL, and it came out to be a little over 40+ miles (http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=269943&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=7781780) (about 6 before work, 36 after), with a 5200+ foot elevation gain, and still managed to get out of bed and ride to work on Friday.

I am now proud to say I can ride up and over the west hills (twice in a single day) under my own power, and keep my feet off the ground. :cool:

My shape? Barrel... ;)
K'Tesh

lynnef
03-14-2009, 05:31 PM

My longest in a 24 hour period (it was a 24 hour ride) is 230 miles. I think I got 30 minutes of sleep somewere in there.

STP in a Day twice.

15 months in a row doing at least a 200km.

Not fast, but very persistent.

For the record, I'm a girl.

vincentpaul
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
When I finished my winter bike rebuild project, Porter, I thought it looked so good that I'd keep it pristine as possible and only ride it on nice days. Well, last night I was changing the chain, cassette and shift cables on my commuter bike, Dutch. Took the derailleur off to clean, and the cable guide on it cracked when I dropped it onto the concrete floor of my shop. Such poor luck, all but the edge of my shop is carpeted and of course it bounced off the work bench and hit the concrete three feet away! Well, I thought, I've got several spare derailleurs and shifters laying around, I'll just swap out. The I realized that all the spare rear derailleurs are Shimano, and all the rear shifters are incompatible SRAM models! I actually considered riding it without a derailleur. Figured I could just bring an old bent spoke and stop to lift the chain up to lower gears on the big hill (Bull Mountain). My wife wandered into the shop and I explained to her what had happened and what I was going to do because I didn't want to ride the "new" bike. She smilled at me, shook her head, and said: "Life's too short, it's not going to last forever, and wouldn't you rather ride a nice bike in the rain than an old creaky one?" Such wisdom. It was a nice ride in the rain today.

Haven_kd7yct
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM

I wouldn't say "awesome shape", but riding does tend to help the phyique.

I did 67 miles in a single ride last year, several 40s and lots of 20s and 30s. My commute is 5-8 miles depending on route, with hills.

I'm aiming for a full century this year at some point, whether it's a supported ride or just out and about on my own.

Sometimes, it's not about the shape of your shape, it's about how long you can be in the saddle. :)

t27
03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Sometimes, it's not about the shape of your shape, it's about how long you can be in the saddle.

While I know that I can go out and ride 100 miles or more, I find that anything over about 80 miles starts to feel like a long day. My favorite rides typically involve 40 to 60 miles and a long lunch break.

The best shape is the shape you need to enjoy doing what you want to do.

jr98664
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
While I know that I can go out and ride 100 miles or more, I find that anything over about 80 miles starts to feel like a long day. My favorite rides typically involve 40 to 60 miles and a long lunch break.
I'm 6'2" and 168 pounds at the age of 17, and probably about as fit as I'll ever be. I've gone over 100 miles in one ride. Heck, I even made a 15-minute-long film of it. Regardless, however, I'm just about in line with t27, not because of any level of physical fitness, but more of the common psychological one. For the average cyclist (not a racer) 100 miles amounts to quite a long time spent atop the saddle. My first century took a very peaceful seven-plus hours—or nearly an entire work day.

Looking at my rides from the past year, there seems to be some pretty obvious stratification.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6879/picture2kic.png
It becomes pretty obvious how long my daily commute is, for one.

lynnef
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
after some distance, your mental conditioning is your strength. If your body is having little whining conversations like "this isn't fun. I'm wet. I'm cold. Wonder if someone will pick me up.", it helps to remember, as in the Nike commercial, that it isn't a democracy :)

And carry extra socks and gloves :)

True hypothermia is sufficient reason to abandon a ride. Otherwise, it really doesn't occur to me. I could be having an awful time, but it won't always be like that.

I do realize that the kind of riding I do for fun is outlier stuff.

vincentpaul
03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
after some distance, your mental conditioning is your strength. If your body is having little whining conversations like "this isn't fun. I'm wet. I'm cold. Wonder if someone will pick me up.", it helps to remember, as in the Nike commercial, that it isn't a democracy :)

And carry extra socks and gloves :)

True hypothermia is sufficient reason to abandon a ride. Otherwise, it really doesn't occur to me. I could be having an awful time, but it won't always be like that.

I do realize that the kind of riding I do for fun is outlier stuff.

On my Sunday (distance) rides at this time of year I often bring along my alcohol stove, a package of Ramen noodles, some tea or instant coffee and a few sugar laden snacks. A little 3' square of tyvek for a tarp to sit on and I'm all set for a little roadside warm up.

And I've been known to submit to the will of the majority on a blustery morn. One of the conditions of my kids' use of my car is that they have to be willing to provide sag services on Sunday mornings. : )

lynnef
03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
very civilized. I have a thermos of hot gatorade and tea, and figure it isn't usually more than 20 miles between towns with convenience stores - stopping to heat water eats into time that I need to make the next control.

Randonneuring (http://www.rusa.org)

vincentpaul
03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
very civilized. I have a thermos of hot gatorade and tea, and figure it isn't usually more than 20 miles between towns with convenience stores - stopping to heat water eats into time that I need to make the next control.

Randonneuring (http://www.rusa.org)

I often just head out my door of a Sunday morning and over towards back roads in the near coast range area. It's nice to just take a seat on the side of the road in the forest and take a break. I often work single track trails along Highway 6 into the rides, and its especially nice to stop along the way in the middle of a forest trail.

You'll have to tell me more about local randonneuring events sometime. I was talking to some co-workers the other day about which distance events we'll be participating in together this year. We do a lot of Sunday rides together "during the season" because with 4 kids at home it's often quite difficult for me to pull off all-day events group events which are almost always on Saturdays. I really enjoy unsupported riding much more than the large group centuries that they like to participate in.

lynnef
03-19-2009, 10:00 AM
for local rando events, go here:
http://www.orrandonneurs.org/

Next brevet is March 28. I'll be missing it, but there are lots of others participating. One hopes the weather will not be as epic as last year:
http://lynnerides.blogspot.com/2008/04/birkie-200km-preride-report.html

Bent Bloke
03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I flatted on my morning commute today, even using 'puncture-resistant' tires. Whatever it was (I heard something lodge in the tire, make a ticking noise with each revolution, then it dropped out), it was sharp and strong enough to puncture a kevlar-belted tire. I was westbound on Division, picked up the object around I-205 where there is still construction going on for MAX. I pulled over with the flat just after 92nd.

I want to thank the biker who stopped to ask if I had everything I needed (I did). Always nice to know there are good samaritans out there.

vincentpaul
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Spent some time reading up on randonneuring last night and this morning. I'm not sure I understand the point of tracking time and control points in a non-competitive event. The British web sites were pretty blunt that it was non-competitive only in the sense that it is illegal to race without proper permits and the penalties are huge for doing so, which meant that riders were "on their honor" to not race. Wink, wink. Basically, they explicitly stated that times were kept because the whole non-competitive thing was just a subterfuge to avoid paying fines for racing.

I completed all my centuries in under 6 1/2 hours last year, so it's not the expected pace that bugs me, its the whole concept of recording times and requiring checks. That to me would just a recipe for stress, which I avoid at all costs while biking, given that just about everything else in my life requires some type of competitiveness. I guess I'll have to think of another word to describe what I like to do, which is basically to get on my bike and take long rides. Optimally with friends, but always just for the enjoyment of the ride itself, which requires no measurement of either time or distance (but usually involving large quantities of both), and I do often choose to follow a specific course that I'd like to, but won't necessarily, complete.

All that said, I really like the courses set out on the local website that you referred me to, and its clear that a lot of work goes into preparing them and researching appropriate routes for unsupported riding. I'll probably get involved by offering to serve as a volunteer so I can "pay it back."

lynnef
03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Believe me, it isn't racing! You'll notice that the constant pace you need to keep to finish within the time limit is about 15kph. Results are posted in alphabetical order. Rando rides are pass-fail; no points for finishing faster. As one who is generally at the end, I appreciate that :) The controls are there, for other reasons, to make sure you don't shortcut the course.

I won't say there isn't a group of "fast boys" up front, but, as the Seattle International Randonneurs (http://seattlerandonneur.org/) site says "it is a large tent, with room for all types of riding"

Controls are no big deal - you get a receipt and a signature, and you are on your way. Or you sit around and drink your chocolate milk and eat your Fritos. I'd say give a brevet a try; you might find you enjoy it!

vincentpaul
03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Believe me, it isn't racing! You'll notice that the constant pace you need to keep to finish within the time limit is about 15kph. Results are posted in alphabetical order. Rando rides are pass-fail; no points for finishing faster. As one who is generally at the end, I appreciate that :) The controls are there, for other reasons, to make sure you don't shortcut the course.

I won't say there isn't a group of "fast boys" up front, but, as the Seattle International Randonneurs (http://seattlerandonneur.org/) site says "it is a large tent, with room for all types of riding"

Controls are no big deal - you get a receipt and a signature, and you are on your way. Or you sit around and drink your chocolate milk and eat your Fritos. I'd say give a brevet a try; you might find you enjoy it!

Any chance I could tag along sometime?

lynnef
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Any chance I could tag along sometime?

You'd probably drop me like a rock :)

I'm not actually RIDING another local brevet until the 400km; missing the 200 (darn), and organizing the 300km with buddy Cecil, so we'll do the worker's ride beforehand. I won't need to ride a permanent for awhile, because the scheduled events will fill in.

I'd say keep an eye on the schedule; new events get added from time to time.

You can join OrRando and ride permanents; if you get on the OrRando mailing list (signup here (http://www.orrandonneurs.org/about.html)); you'll see emails when folks are planning to ride a permanent. You've got to commit at least a week in advance (mail reg form and $5 fee to Susan).

But I'll keep you in mind if something comes up.

K'Tesh
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
This morning had a nice little commute into work. I rode Hwy 217 with no problems (except for all the gravel). No real "finds" other than an extension for a ratchet.

Riding off to Sherwood this evening, perhaps even home if the conditions stay nice.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

boneshaker
04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Ahhh what a glorious commute this morning. Even wore the 3/4 pants instead of the rain-gear. Life is good.

Haven_kd7yct
04-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Yep, gorgeous morning today. Traffic wasn't even that bad, it didn't take me as long as it usually does to get to work-- okay, 5 minutes less, but hey! 5 minutes is 5 minutes! :)

Looking forward to my ride home tonight!

brock
04-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Got to love these little teasers for the good weather to come. I can't wait, it seems like this winter has been just as wet but a bunch colder this year.

K'Tesh
04-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I was running late, so I had to take an alternate method in today... but I've got news about that ;)

Gonna have to wait until after the Beaverton Bike Advisory Meeting tonight to hear what I've got to tell you...

Anticipation is making me wait...
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
After all that Good news, I was a bit wound-up to sleep well... So, I headed out early to take some pictures of an ODOT sign that is missplaced. As I did, I noticed that Better Days Coffee was open (It's always closed when I normally go by), so I advised them of their obligation to clear the sidewalk. The barista told me that the property is owned by Hi Hat's owners.

I noticed that there was a groundscrewmember in Hi Hat's parking lot, so I rolled up on him and advised him of the need to clear the sidewalk. He thanked me for the info, and got right on it! :D

I took a few pics, that I'll upload tonight.

See Something? SAY SOMETHING!
K'Tesh

vja4Him
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Worked on my Surly Long Haul Trucker this morning. The bar-end shifters were hitting my knees, so I rotated the bars quite a bit. Had to strip off the wrapping. Then I had to adjust the brakes and interrupters.

Raised the seat 1/4 inch, and moved the seat back about 1/2 inch. Turned my Bar XTender around, and moved the AirZound to the top of the Bar XTender.

Removed one of the water bottle cages, and zip-tied it to the right rear rack. Still have to go out for another test ride to see if everything is adjusted correctly.

Ordered new tape from Performance -- Forté Classic Cork Tape, dark blue, to match my blue Arkel Big Bar Bag! Still waiting for my Ortlieb panniers (also blue).

http://vj4him.blogspot.com/

beelnite
04-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I couldn't resist after forcing myself to take it easy yesterday on the commute... in anticipation of today, my official "hit it hard" day.

Essentially this is the day I ride as fast and as hard as I possibly can or want to at the moment - obeying all traffic laws of course!

BODLY popped off the fenders.

Yeah I live on the edge.:)

Took Burnside proper from SE 108th and just caught the tail end of a Max induced green across 102nd. Oh... it's on!

Now it's a warm up ride to 82nd with a few minor sloping rolls. And a solid 3 block sharp downslope.

I believe a year round adult commuter - maybe 250-300 miles a month -could easily hit 16-18 mph and with some effort 20+ until you reach 76th. At this point the bike route advises a right turn so you can turn left and ride parallel.

Take the route and you avoid a De Ronde de Oestre Portlandia caliber slope - but praise be - it's only 2.5 blocks long! Comon! Have some fun. Traffic is light.

Bang - if you STAY on B you are at the top of the hill. About 95% of the distance between the top and SE 41st is solid downslope.

You are in the right lane and motorists hate this lane before 7 a.m. and even shortly after since parking is allowed and TriMet is rolling. They just don't care that you are there because...

If you hit all the greens - wow that same adult commuter could probably hit about 24-27 mph with moderate effort.

30 mph is doable.

Depends on the bike of course.

You get the idea.

I had a good safe thrill ride early this morning and didn't bother nuthin' but my hairdo.:D

hemp22
04-09-2009, 08:29 AM
It's refreshing to see someone so excited about just going to work in the morning :)
I don't think I ever feel like that when I'm driving to work.

The nice thing about the commuting so far this week has been the company - going strong in a group of 3-4 bikes most of the time, instead of my usual lonesome ride in the afternoon.

M Cook
04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I had a pedal strike yesterday on the way home. It jarred my spine enough that I bruised my tailbone. Well I hope it's a bruise. Sitting or doing anything comes with pain today.

t27
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Saw a dog crossing the road - wait that’s not a dog.

I stopped and watched a coyote stalking a squirrel on the clipped lawns of inner suburbia. I saw it make a halfhearted run at the squirrel who escaped up the tree. The coyote ran up the lower branches of the tree and was last seen standing in the tree.

I would have missed this entire drama if I had been stuck in my car.

boneshaker
04-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Saw a dog crossing the road - wait that’s not a dog.

I stopped and watched a coyote stalking a squirrel on the clipped lawns of inner suburbia. I saw it make a halfhearted run at the squirrel who escaped up the tree. The coyote ran up the lower branches of the tree and was last seen standing in the tree.

I would have missed this entire drama if I had been stuck in my car.

Wow, cool story t27.

I enjoyed dodging the worms this morning. A little different from you I guess.

flying_dutchman
04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
With the storm in the morning and anticipating clear weather in the afternoon, I am hoping my round trip commute will have tail winds in both directions.

jr98664
04-17-2009, 06:15 PM
During my morning commute of about 4 miles, it was pouring the entire time. Probably the heaviest rain that I've ever had on my way to school in the morning. To make things worse, I was running late, so it wasn't like I could wait it out. Even in my thick wool knickers, I was soaked through in only a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, it took almost three hours to dry properly. Thankfully my Nau Succinctshell kept me 100% dry up top. I can't say my new water bottle mud flaps did the same for my shoes.

K'Tesh
04-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Rode Hwy 217 in to work today... With the exceptions of the on/offramps, It's still (mostly) clear of debris as it was swept recently. Surprisingly, fast ride, either I'm a stronger rider than I think, or I had a nice tailwind.

Spotted one of the members of the Beaverton BAC riding North today... Nice to see I'm not the only rider of the Freeway.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Yesterday, I thought I saw thumbtacks scattered along the w-bound shoulder of W. Union Rd. just west of Bethany Blvd. I was too into scooting up that little bit of a hill for it to register right away, but today on my way home I'll go slower to see for sure and get them off the road if they are what I think they are. I didn't get anything in my tires, but that may be due to my hyper-paranoia regarding sharp-looking things in the road; I weave pretty well...

biciclero
04-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Yesterday, I thought I saw thumbtacks scattered along the w-bound shoulder of W. Union Rd. just west of Bethany Blvd.

Heh. Quoting myself.

Anyway, it was thumbtacks that I saw in the road the other day; I stopped to pick them up yesterday and found that all (there were about 20) the points were bent over, so they wouldn't have been too much of a tire threat, but it sure does freak one out to see what appears to be a field of sharp objects in one's path...

jr98664
04-28-2009, 11:07 PM
There's always something about the rain in the morning. It was pretty heavy around 7:15 am, but I stayed almost completely dry everywhere but my nice and warm wool socks. Regardless, they still stayed so warm that I never really noticed that they were wet.

As for the ride itself: There's something about the rain that makes drivers tend to get out of your way. I had absolutely no problem taking the entire right-hand lane of Mill Plain for a couple of miles. Despite the deep ruts filled with water, not a single car came close enough to splash me.

The responses from friends and other motorists on days like today are divided into two categories:

You're completely crazy, and I am going to stay out of your way on the road. OR,
You're completely crazy, and I respect the fact that you rode today.

There's something about the rain that seems to make you ride faster too. I actually just rode my commute the fastest I've ever ridden it. 7.85 miles in 27:41 for an average speed of over 17 mph. That's not something even I can do every day. xD

K'Tesh
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
There's always something about the rain in the morning. It was pretty heavy around 7:15 am, but I stayed almost completely dry everywhere but my nice and warm wool socks. Regardless, they still stayed so warm that I never really noticed that they were wet.

Nothing quite as nice as a pair of nice soft, still warm from the dryer, wool socks on a cold morning...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Had a somewhat close call this morning. Had just left my own street, having turned onto one of the main roads in my area. Was headed downhill to a stop light about a quarter mile away. About halfway down, on the right-hand side of the road, there is an apartment complex driveway. As I turned from my own street, I saw that there was a lady ahead of me walking along the sidewalk (I was in the street), going my same direction, approaching the apt. driveway. I also saw that there was a lady in a metallic teal Honda waiting to turn out of the driveway. For some reason, this put me on alert--possibly because I imagined that the lady walking may have been hiding me from the waiting driver.

Sure enough, as I got close to the driveway, going probably ~20 (based on gearing, pedal RPM, and past observations while passing police radar vans...I've got to get one of them newfangled speedo-whatchamacallits) the driver pulls out of the driveway directly in front of me. Without some serious braking (which I was sort of planning on, anyway) I would have hit her rear quarter-panel. I could tell she saw me after she started to pull out, because she did the "Eeek" shrug while glancing my way. I'm glad she at least kept going, since if she had stopped (like so many do, when they suddenly realize I am there) right in my path, it would have been painful.

I wonder if I had run into her and been injured, would it have been deemed my fault for "speeding"? The speed limit on this particular street is at least 35.

boneshaker
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
For the 2nd time this week I was belittled and cursed and screamed at for riding my bike in a completely safe and legal manner. This time it was because I was too close to the line. While in the bike lane, according to this motorist, I was still too close to the line and it was all he could do to not hit and kill me with his ginormous pickup truck.

This was at 6am on Broadway coming off the bridge into downtown. I pulled up next to him at the light to see why he honked his horn at me but didn't say anything because he was just screaming at me. He wasn't listening so talking wouldn't have done me any good.

I don't mind discussing these types of situations with fellow motorists (2 wheels or 4), but why does the conversation always have to immediately escallate to a shouting match? At 6 am I want a cup of coffee, not an argument.

K'Tesh
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Had a somewhat close call this morning. Had just left my own street, having turned onto one of the main roads in my area. Was headed downhill to a stop light about a quarter mile away. About halfway down, on the right-hand side of the road, there is an apartment complex driveway. As I turned from my own street, I saw that there was a lady ahead of me walking along the sidewalk (I was in the street), going my same direction, approaching the apt. driveway. I also saw that there was a lady in a metallic teal Honda waiting to turn out of the driveway. For some reason, this put me on alert--possibly because I imagined that the lady walking may have been hiding me from the waiting driver.

Sure enough, as I got close to the driveway, going probably ~20 (based on gearing, pedal RPM, and past observations while passing police radar vans...I've got to get one of them newfangled speedo-whatchamacallits) the driver pulls out of the driveway directly in front of me. Without some serious braking (which I was sort of planning on, anyway) I would have hit her rear quarter-panel. I could tell she saw me after she started to pull out, because she did the "Eeek" shrug while glancing my way. I'm glad she at least kept going, since if she had stopped (like so many do, when they suddenly realize I am there) right in my path, it would have been painful.

I wonder if I had run into her and been injured, would it have been deemed my fault for "speeding"? The speed limit on this particular street is at least 35.

Must be all the pollen or something that is making drivers particularly bad lately...

Today I had a scatalogical scare today... I turned out of my apartment's North parking lot, headed south on the sidewalk (not too fast), and nearly got taken out by speedracer's sister driving the green car coming out of my apartment's South parking lot.

She did hit the brakes hard, and so did I, but I think that both of us were scared (me more so).

Psyfalcon
04-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Going west on BH.

I know this kid saw me, he waited until I was too close to brake fast enough, hit the gas, and then the brake real fast. Seemed rather pleased with himself as I squeeked by.

K'Tesh
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
The bike had a fine dusting of yellow the other morning... and I'm already feeling it's effects... Oh the wonders of (achoo) spring ;)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Bent Bloke
05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Tailwind all the way. Yeehaw! Fast ride in.

The smells of spring and flower petals swirling around like nature's confetti ... doesn't get much better than that!

bubbaPDX
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Breakthrough week... finally made eye contact with the very dour-looking Walking Woman on my route. Gave her a big smile. Next day: eye contact again. Gave her a big smile. Today: she cracked a smile herself!

Spring!

beelnite
05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Tailwind all the way. Yeehaw! Fast ride in.

The smells of spring and flower petals swirling around like nature's confetti ... doesn't get much better than that!

Oh man, was that awesome or what? Yeah we complain from outer east about the wind, but that's just coming home!

Felt so good and so fast decided to ride Burnside all the way in. Flyin! Wheels just hummin, felt like Lance with minimal effort. Fun.

Ah man, but now we gotta ride home...

Haven_kd7yct
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Ugh.

Knees feel icky. Legs feel tired, but I haven't been on the bike since last week!! Was it the lawn mowing-weeding-large branch dragging yard work? Too many days in a row biking?

I'll take it easy on the way home. Hopefully it will be easy. :)

jr98664
05-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm very glad that the 20 mph wind was behind me on my way home. I took the longer of two possible routes home, and ended up averaging over 18 mph as I was heading due west almost the entire time. It's an odd feeling when you have to slow your peddling to keep under the 25 mph speed limit. :cool:

vincentpaul
05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Ah, the bittersweet sting of hail and sleet striking the face on a 30 mph downhill; if I'm going to get hail in the face I'd rather do it on a bike.

K'Tesh
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Found myself on a bus last night heading over to help my Mom move some furniture... Then she drove me home... Then this morning the WES...

I must be getting old, 'cause this rain is a real damper on my riding...

Next thing you know, I'll be going to bed at 9pm ;)
K'Tesh

biciclero
05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Had a semi-close call again this morning. There was a tree removal grew setting up on my street and they had large vehicles parked on both sides of the street, effectively making it one lane. I probably should have started dinging my bell earlier, since I saw a couple of workmen getting things from the trucks--one guy on each side of the street. As I entered the "gauntlet", the guy on my right steps in front of me to cross the street (he didn't look, and obviously didn't hear me coming). I did an "emergency slow" and managed to get a couple dings of the bell in, at which point he noticed me and stopped as his co-worker let out a "whoa-ho-ho!" and I continued on after missing him by inches.

I didn't know whether to feel bad because I failed to yield to a pedestrian, or cheesed off because the guy had "suddenly left a curb or other place of safety and moved into the path of a vehicle (me) that was so close as to constitute an immediate hazard," and was also not in any marked or unmarked crosswalk.

My afterthoughts were that I should have predicted this better--I did get that "funny feeling" when I first saw the two workers--and either rung my bell sooner or just slowed way down and let things happen. Also, when I realized things were getting too close, I probably should have used my voice instead of trying to fumble for my bell while also trying to stop--a holdover from driving, I guess, where the horn is the only audible means of external communication.

Oh well, lesson learned and hopefully no harm done. Always trust the Spider Sense.

K'Tesh
05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
in the last 28 hours, put ~50 miles under my butt... Rode out to the Pre-Cycle Oregon lecture on nutrition, streatching and injury prevention, then "took the long way home".

However since I needed to get some stuff done last night, I cheated and used the MAX to get from Goose Hollow to the Zoo. Got home by 11pm (finally).

Having some problems with the flickr uploader (Virtual Memory's too low) so I didn't get a chance to upload my images.

This morning, two nice drivers... Yesterday had another one (but that's a different thread)...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Drifts of cottonwood were all over SW Lombard (near SW 5th) in Beaverton this morning...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/3583040399_ec821e1d36.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/3583040399)

A storm drain on the corner there was half full of it...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3583855942_7029812905.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/3583855942)

Got to work and immediatly started sneezing, and one of my eyes is really swollen.

I HATE ALLERGY SEASON!!!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
05-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Comfortable temps, not too difficult... only thing that took offense to our riding was the bugs out by the Expo Center...

Total trip (cut short due to maintenance issue) about 38 miles.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

(btw, this is my 1700th post)

beelnite
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I saved some poor guy in a black Toyota from having to live with my untimely death today. This stuff is almost too routine to report in near miss - and actually there was no chance of my demise.

I knew he didn't see me. So I hard braked and stopped. Boy were his eyes wide when he finally did see me. I gave him a nod and let him know, hey, it happens. I'm watching out for YOU.

No yelling, no fingers, just "Whew's".

K'Tesh
06-04-2009, 04:43 PM
There's no place like home...

Damn... I'm still at work... a pretty strong wind is blowing and it knocked over my bike (locked to the tree). As if all the pollen wasn't enough, now the air is "dusty" too.

Ride Carefully Out there... and look out for anybody on broomsticks.
K'Tesh

Bent Bloke
06-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Hope everyone made it home safely yesterday. Lots of stuff flying through the air. I had to deal with strong, swirling winds for about the last 1.5 miles of my commute. Very dusty. I made it home about 5 minutes before the rain started.

brock
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
That was nuts yesterday. I was taking a certification exam at PCC when the power went out. Beaverton is not a fun place to ride when the traffic lights aren't working. Add in the wind and all the debris on the road... Thank goodness for the Max ride into downtown ;)

flying_dutchman
06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I was on the Hawthron Bridge during the first gust of the pre storm dust squall. When I saw a cloud of mist scudding across the surface of the river I pulled over to the rail and stopped. It was pretty hairy.

In Ladds Edition, a falling branch (not large) hit me in the face.

Crazy!

K'Tesh
06-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Got an early start this morning, and rode the Fanno Creek Trail.

Spring this year is certainly in full swing. Roses/Blackberries/trees all growing in and over the trail are keeping me and my pruning shears busy.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

beelnite
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I tried it today. It was really tough for me. I'm sure some of you understand implicitly the inner struggle I faced.

But I did it.

I rode slowly.

No kidding. It was really kinda cool.

Oh I didn't crawl - just set a limit- made a vow with myself beforehand:

"I shall not exceed 14mph today. I will not spin frantically. I will limit sweat as much as is humanly possible in mild 70+ degree weather."

Why? Some people advocate doing so... Google it: "slow ride, bicycle"... so I figured I'd try it. I sorta like to push it when I ride, attack hills, take advantage of descents and winds, etc.

I really enjoy riding for speed and endurance. A lot.

But I liked this slow ride thing too - riding slow has it's own merits.

Warning: I did find myself slipping into extreme courtesy mode to the point of stopping on SE Ankeny - the hill off SE 7th - for a pedestrian waiting to cross at a side-street intersection. The side streets had STOPs, I didn't - but the pedestrian sorta owns the intersection right...?

I also inadvertently forced two cyclists on both sides of the intersection to wait for me to get the heck out of the way while I waited for the person to cross. Hey... they were gonna go anyway I think...

I apologized. They took it well.

I figure I have added to my repetoire of riding styles.

hemp22
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
summer is really showing signs of life - my normal commute is by myself - today at one point I was in a group of 6.

as for riding slow - i try that occasionally, but man it's tough to curb my competitive nature when people pass me. sometimes I ride my Mtn bike w/ knobby tires just so I have an excuse to go slow. But what I really ought to do is change out the freewheel on my single-speed so I have just one super-easy gear ratio and have no choice but to take my time and enjoy the ride. I suppose anyone can do this on any bike though - just get into an easy gear, and don't allow yourself to shift.

t27
06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a solution to the need to hammer and the desire to go slow. How about up a 12% grade where you can hammer all you want and still go slow.

I do it every day on my way home. Good thing it is not on my way to work. I think I need lower gears on my Nexus 8. My knees are starting to complain.

K'Tesh
06-17-2009, 09:37 AM
A few months ago, I met Peter, and convinced him to try riding Hwy 217 for once. We rode together and I lost track of him, until the WES started running, and he and I occasionally would meet on it (typically when my allergies were bad, or the weather was less than favorable).

Today, I was feeling up to riding into work (allergies are still causing problems), and spotted him up on the WES platform. I asked him if he wanted to try 217 again, and I was suprised when he said sure.

Nice ride but a bit noisy, so we exited early and got into Tigard via Greenburg.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I rode to work on Monday, the long way, feeling pretty good.

That lasted until about 10:30 or so in the morning, when I noticed I was having a sore throat.

By lunchtime, I was really tired, and my throat was killing me.

By 2:30, I knew riding home was going to be out of the question. I was wiped out, stuffed up, completely miserable. So I called my SOP for a ride home.

Yesterday, I had a seminar-- and had the worst sinus headache, pressure, congestion. And a small fever. I went anyway, but left early and went home to sleep.

Now I'm all miserable, drugged up, congested, stuffy. Gr!!! Sinus attack!! Summer colds SUCK!!!

K'Tesh
06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
In a beautiful, a beautiful balloon...

As I was heading into work today, I turned from SW Lombard onto 11th in Beaverton, and spotted a hot air balloon directly infront of me. It was decending and moving fast, so I didn't get a chance to photograph it.

Anyway, it was neat to see.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
OK, I actually drove to work this morning, but along my way I witnessed a driver accelerate to blow a two-way stop at speed because he wanted to pull out from a side street in front of me, rather than wait 1.8 seconds to pull into the huge gap behind me. Not a California roll; full stop sign disregard sashimi.

K'Tesh
06-18-2009, 10:51 PM
In a beautiful, a beautiful balloon...

As I was heading into work today, I turned from SW Lombard onto 11th in Beaverton, and spotted a hot air balloon directly infront of me. It was decending and moving fast, so I didn't get a chance to photograph it.

Anyway, it was neat to see.

Turns out that the balloon I saw was in the process of crash landing (I didn't witness that) in the parking lot of Michael's on the other side of Hwy 217.

According to KPTY, it landed on top of a minivan there, with no injuries and minimal damage.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
06-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Today was a bit of a hybrid commute into work... Part was on Hwy 217, then I exited and hit the Fanno Creek Trail.

From the area of Scholls, to Tiedaman, I encountered a lot of slugs trying to cross the trail, and although I managed to avoid them, it looked like several were the victims of early morning joggers.... Ick.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Use caution today, Tigard and Tualatin riders!

The annual Tigard Festival of Balloons starts today. Expect lots of stupid traffic. By which I mean, stupid drivers.

(Not me, even though I drove today-- can't breath very well due to this stupid cough/sinus thing!)

K'Tesh
06-22-2009, 10:22 AM
A motorist put his schedual ahead of my personal safety and failed to yield to me in an unmarked crosswalk. :mad:

He received one of my rare one finger salutes as he sped by. Too bad a cop didn't see it happen. I would have enjoyed seeing him getting pulled over.

Grumble... grumble... grumble...
K'Tesh

beelnite
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Ouch.

It's been about 20 years since my last endo. But today my number came up.

Totally my fault - running late, stressing and eating an apple - look, eating's OK on a ride, right? But maybe not in an urban environment. Too many unexpected surprises. I made a bad choice and what's worse - I knew it and accepted the risk.

Burnside - West Bound Bike Lane - Gateway. The MAX comes around a corner to cross Burnside. There's a stoplight. As I cross the crosswalk stripe the light turns yellow. No problem right?

Well I got spooked. You have to cross the intersection, cross a sidewalk AND cross the tracks. But the train appeared pretty quickly around that blind turn. I'm pretty sure I had time to cross and clear, but instinct took over.

I jammed those breaks and yes I dropped my stupid effen apple core, but wasn't ready on the seat to compensate for the hard stop.... and when you REALLY want to stop - you have the most control using the front brakes.

FLIP. And for the first time in my riding history I actually hit my head-- and I ruined my helmet. Yeah - I wore my helmet. Again, urban environment.

Otherwise, I don't think I'd be writing a daily commute story. I also think I would have ruined my face.

So I'm picking my bad self up and the MAX actually begins to stop?!?!? Yeah. Weird. I mean it wasn't really even close and I'm nowhere near the track - I'm on the other side on the sidewalk, but the driver shuts it down anyway.

I get up wave, I'm OK - point up at the stoplight and mouth "YEL-LOW" like a moron... turn and wave I'm OK to the cars and the cyclist behind me... and...

The MAX blares it's horn.

Was that a tribute or just a really, really, really late reaction? I dunno.

Today's Ride: Sore shoulder, abrasions, agonizing road rash (scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed...), wounded pride and some work to do on the bike (my NEW seat!!! gaaaaah.)

My Planet Bike Cateye Headlamp snapped off... but snapped right back on. Chewed up, but still works. Cool.

My jersey? Not even torn. A double layer Nike dry fit. Good stuff. My shoulder is still scrapped however - my skin may have forever become one with the jersey...

I give thanks to the bike gods.

K'Tesh
07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
While on my final approach into work today, I spotted a cute (and appropriate) bumpersticker:

If Ignorance is Bliss,
Why aren't more people happy?

Ain't that the truth?
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I've been really tired at night lately... Projects, training, volunteering, fretting, and work have really taken a lot more hours that I have in a day. I decided to take a nap last night, and woke up around 4am this morning. I'm awake and trying to plan tonight's picnic timing with the much needed watering of my Mom's plants while she out of town.

So, I hopped on the bike and got something to eat, and had enough time to bike from Beaverton to Sherwood and water her plants. This will free up a lot of time tonight, and who knows, I might be able to wake up at my usual time (6:30am).

On 99W, I did spot a doe just off the side of the road. As I approached, she made for the Tualatin river (and away from the highway).

In all, a nice morning ride.
K'tesh

K'Tesh
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Over the weekend, I rode several times out to Sherwood to take care of my Mom's plants, and I had a couple of close encounters with deer, a nice buck up on 175th (heading for Roy Rogers), and a doe on 99W .

Fortunatly though I saw the southern end of a northbound skunk, he and I left each other alone. Whew!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Great ride in this morning; I hit the Fanno Creek Trail over off Tiedeman, then went over 99W at Johnson/Main St and decided to brave the "other" part of the Fanno Creek Trail, where all the scary homeless men usually congregate. (This is the part of the Trail that goes from Main St to Hall Blvd). (Yes, I know, it's not nice to stereotype, but those guys really do scare me. That's why I don't ride the trails by myself.)

Well, apparently, things have changed down there. The City has cut back the brush (or was that you, K'tesh? :D) and have apparently encouraged the homeless people to find somewhere else to hang out (at least this morning).

I saw a couple of people walking, enjoying the morning. Lots of birds, lots of bird song.

It was nice to not ride in traffic for a little bit! :) I was relaxed and smiling when I hit up Hall towards Durham Rd. Piece of cake.

K'Tesh
07-21-2009, 09:15 AM
... The City has cut back the brush (or was that you, K'tesh? :D)

It was both the city, and me ;)

I got the stuff hanging over the path (behind A-Boy), they got the rest.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Took a route today that stretched my 8 mile commute into about 12. Always nice to go a different way for a change of scenery. I did get passed on the right at a stop sign by a guy who apparently thinks stopping is for losers. I've thought of getting a sticker/sign to put on the back of my bike that says something like, "WARNING: THIS VEHICLE MAKES COMPLETE STOPS".:D

Besides trying to signal a stop most times, I don't know what else to do.

Haven_kd7yct
07-23-2009, 09:14 AM
This morning I decided to take it easy on the way in by taking the downhill route to work-- so called because the start of it is all more or less downhill, for about a mile. :) The other routes I take all start off going uphill.

Anyways, I'm going along enjoying the cool weather this morning and start the downhill portion only to see a pretty doe standing in the middle of the road, in the middle of the hill.

Well, I slowed down. I've had enough encounters with deer to know that they will invariably change their minds about what direction they want to go if you approach to fast. :)

She decided the road was not a great place to be so she wandered up a driveway and, from a standstill, hopped over a 6-foot chain link fence into the back yard.

Very cool.

And then, I got to ride a little bit with a postal worker riding to the Main St post office, and I also saw lots of cyclists going down Hall and Durham and Bridgeport Rd. It's a great day for riding!

beelnite
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I did get passed on the right at a stop sign by a guy who apparently thinks stopping is for losers.

It's my latest pet peeve too Bici. Even if another rider does stop while I'm waiting- usually it's right in my line of site. Some riders seem to think we're all slow dumb arses who can't navigate an intersection - I think they're sending a message:

"I am superior - I have much better reflexes than anyone. I can see through people. These people are stopped because they are slow and stupid cows."

And more than half the time we're stopped because... well... because there is a motor vehicle coming - or a pedestrian is crossing. Duh. To me this is similar behavior to the people in their cars who change lanes so they can blow through the crosswalk and pass the vehicle that's stopped for the lady with the stroller.

I just think it adds to the chaos and adds to the risk at intersections if cyclists jump their turn - or all attempt to crowd up to the stop line like some start to a BMX race. Single file is best during the commute - though not always possible. I'd accept someone placing their front wheel no further than my foot if riding up on me.

Whizzers: I'm already in front and can see best... leave me alone! There's time to pass when we're all safely through.

K'Tesh
07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
The song mentions 93 degrees... oh, how I wish it was that cool (in my apartment :mad:)

I rode last night home... I had a 1 liter Dasani water bottle in the cage frozen solid with a little water at the top.

Exactly 45 minutes later, I had a 1 liter Dasani water bottle in a cage with liquid water.

Damn it's HOT!!!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
08-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Riding off to Sherwood (for another or Mom's HCM (Home Cooked Meals)) when I thought I detected a wobble in the rear wheel of Henry. Not a whole bunch I could do about it then, and since I was halfway there, I pressed on with plans to visit my LBS on Tuesday.

When I got to the Tualatin River Bridge, I noticed a repetitive sound. You know, the one that tells you that you've got something stuck to your tire. So, I dismounted, and looked over the tire.

Stapled again. :mad:

Call Mom for a pickup, and after dinner, she took me home. (Note to self: leave spare tube with Mom)

Home, I swapped out the tube w/a used one, and plans on patching the old tube later. Then went to bed.

This morning, running late, and I find that the bike's flat again :mad:

Made me take the WES to get to work, and I had been planning on doing some after work riding tonight (Meteor Shower Tonight! (Estimates ~200/Hour)).

Now, I'm going to need to patch two tubes, and have the bike looked over for the wobble (if it proves to be the wheel), and spend time trying to watch a meteor shower.

Oh, didn't have time to switch shoes, so I've got the bike shoes on w/my platform pedals. (The Horror!)

Hope things are rolling smoother for you
K'Tesh

Bent Bloke
08-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Not a bikey topic, unless you decide to bike to a location with good sky views.

The Perseid Meteor Shower has actually been going on for a few weeks. Tonight is the peak, but there will still be plenty of meteors for days to come. The weather forecast is not looking good for the next few days, but try on the weekend -- you should be rewarded with some nice shooting stars.

This website (http://cleardarksky.com/c/PortORkey.html) will give you a good indication of predicted sky conditions. You might get lucky for the first couple of hours after midnight tonight, or you might get rained on.

Take a blanket or something to lay on, and warm clothes. You'll get chilled just laying there. Best technique: lay on your back in an open area, and keep your eyes open.

Somewhere along Marine Drive would be pretty good. If you face the river, you won't have bright lights affecting your vision. You will also be looking away from the moon. Moonrise is after midnight Friday ...

dawndol
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I saw a cool thing on the way home: Shady, low traffic, neighborhood street, a fellow on his bike giving his girlfriend a speed boost. She had only one leg and was in a wheelchair, he had one hand on the arm rest. They were both having a great time. Very cool to see two different two wheeled vehicles playing!

Haven_kd7yct
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
So I was riding home last night from work, and things were going pretty good. We had a minor traffic jam in the bike lane on Hall (as in, there were 3 bikes and one skateboarder in orange), which wasn't a big deal and isn't the fail I'm referring to.

So I hit the post office on Main St in Tigard and head out Tigard St (having to pass the same skateboarder again) to head up Tiedeman and the hill on Fonner.

Well, now that we're getting pretty close to school, apparently there's a lot of stuff happening at Fowler Middle School these days.

The bike lane on Tiedeman (there's only one) was FULL of parked cars, starting about where the speed 20 sign, all the way up to the driveway of the school parking lot-- the lot which was 2/3 empty. There were quite a few cars parked on the other side of Tiedman as well, on the non-bike-lane side, stretching from almost the intersection with Walnut around the corner to Katherine St-- that's quite a lot of cars!

So I had to take the lane. Since it's posted 25mph on Tiedman, and I'm pushing 15mph, and I wasn't going to be taking the lane for very long, one would think it would not be a big deal, no? No. Some jack-hole decides to cross a double yellow into oncoming traffic to pass me, only to turn right immediately in front of me to turn onto Walnut. Can't wait literally 2 seconds, eh?

Whatever. I gotta call my friends in Tigard PD and let them know there's a bunch of easy money waiting for them in the bike lane on Tiedeman.

Oh, and my good deed for yesterday: I swept away a lot of glass at the end of Findlay Rd by my work after the neighbor's landscaping crew used their blowers to spread it all over Findlay-- including sidewalks. There's a clear path down the middle 2/3 of the road, but the far sides of the road and the sidewalks still have a lot of glass. I'll try to get out there today sometime and sweep some more.

Grant
10-01-2009, 07:49 AM
I ride in from outer SW, taking HWY 99/Barbur almost the whole way in, and getting to work by 6am. Yesterday I saw four riders heading in the opposite direction and one rider behind me heading in to Portland. Today I saw no one.

I have to figure it's the bike commute challenge. I hope that at least some of participants discovered/rediscovered the joys of riding and will continue with it, though from this mornings experience it doesn't seem like it's going to be a lot of them.

biciclero
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Maybe this should go in the "Close Calls" thread: had to take evasive action on my way in this morning, heading SB on Watson, in Beaverton. For those unfamiliar, Watson is a two-lane one-way SB with a bike lane on the right side. I had just crossed Farmington and was moving over into the bike lane, when I saw a van in front of me with a right turn signal on. Since there was an opening, I just moved out of the bike lane and fell in behind him. Since there was a further opening in the leftmost lane, and I was eventually going to want to turn left, I moved over into the leftmost lane (I know, illegal since there is a perfectly good bike lane on the right). That's not the exciting part; it just explains what I was doing in the left lane.

So I am keeping up with traffic fairly well, pretty much just using the whole left lane, since there is nobody behind me--there is just a big, red pickup slightly ahead and to my right, in the RIGHT lane. I am actually gaining on this pickup slightly, and was probably only a few feet behind him (remember, I am in the LEFT lane and he is in the RIGHT lane), when I see his left turn signal come on and he starts to drift over toward me. My first thought was that he wanted to change lanes, so I slowed slightly, attempting to match his speed, thinking I would just let him move into the left lane ahead of me. Problem was, he slowed much more dramatically than I expected, because what he was really doing was turning into a driveway on the LEFT, but making this turn from the RIGHT lane. This resulted in a grand, sweeping left hook. Anyway, I think he saw me at the last second, because he seemed to stop, although he was now blocking the entire left lane. So I had to dodge up onto the sidewalk to avoid hitting this pickup or the parked cars just beyond the driveway. I zipped over onto the sidewalk, and then re-entered the street at the next corner (thank goodness there was a curb cut there). I didn't feel like being confrontational, so I just continued on my way.

setha
10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm somewhat sore and I have a bit of road rash. The on-call doctor at my doctor's office said that since I could put weight on it and move my leg, that my right hip is probably OK, even though I landed on it, my right knee and my right elbow. So she didn't think I had to go to the emergency room. But she'd like me to come their office today anyway.

What happened? The right crank arm broke in two. It didn't like that I was standing on it trying to accelerate the bicycle from a stop after the light turned green. After it broke I had nothing to stand on. I lost my balance and went down on my right side. I may have been going all of 2 miles per hour. This happened in the middle lane, westbound Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, at Oleson. I was preparing to move into the left lane to make the left turn onto southwest-bound Scholls. Fortunately the nice lady in the SUV behind me stopped and did not run me over. Even though it was in no way her fault she stopped, made sure I was OK, and even gave me a ride home. She said that her husband is riding his bicycle to work.

If it works, the pictures of the broken crank arm are attached.

--Seth

beelnite
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Test of year-round cyclocommuter fortitude for E. Portland and outer SE riders today. Wind. Swirling but mostly in your face.

The ride into downtown this morning was freakin' awesome with enough tailwind to "own" E. Burnside without breaking a sweat. Left TriMet in the dust. Ran out of gears. Colder than anticipated.

The ride East - all wind. Strong gusts in your face on E. Burnside.

Bent Bloke
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Yay for tailwinds, boo for headwinds.

Beelnite, I thought of you yesterday on the way home, pushing into that wind. I was remembering your quote from the Outer SE get-together: “some people complain about hills, but the wind is what makes me think, what the heck am I doing out here on a bike!?” :D

Good to see you back posting!

biciclero
10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
“some people complain about hills, but the wind is what makes me think, what the heck am I doing out here on a bike!?”
--beelnite

I agree. I would much rather pedal uphill all day than against a headwind. Maybe it's because gravity is pretty much guaranteed to pay you back with a downhill eventually, but wind is too capricious. Wind is apt to blow in your face for 10 miles, and then change direction or die down when you turn around to go the other way. Plus gravity hardly ever pulls you sideways (ok, it does, but it is more predictable!)

Oldguyonabike
10-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Left home Sunday morning knowing the weather was changing and it might be my last chance to go up Larch Mtn before snow rolls in. Hadn't been up there by bike before and it was on my list for the "summer".
I had 3 layers on thinking I would shed them along the way as the day warmed up. Wore thin gloves over my fingerless bike gloves. Shorts.
My first clue should have been around mile 10 up the Larch Mtn Rd when I noticed I was not sweating. In fact, I was a little cold. Toes & fingers were numb. Temp on top in the sunshine was, maybe, high 30's with 20mph winds. I'm traipsing round in bike gear and all the car people have heavy coats, wool hats and gloves and complaining of the cold. Beautiful views of all mountains that I did not hang around long to enjoy.
Toes never thawed. Fingers did somewhat when I figured I had to get home somehow and I'd better go.
OMG! Within the first 3 miles my fingers were so frozen I had to look at my hands and will them to close against the brakes. Never in my life had I wanted a 14 mile downhill through the forest to end. My whole body was chattering and numb by the time I rolled into the Corbett Market for coffee and warmth. I thawed and got below the thermacline somewhere around Sandy and, thankfully, the east winds were in my favor and blew me down Marine Drive toward home.
Next time I dress for the occassion! If you are hoping for one more ride up there take way more weather protection than you think you'll need from the warm perspective of your garage!

t27
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
This morning I was riding to work on what should be a quiet residential street when a silver BMW convertible passed me rather close at a high rate of speed. I signaled (palm down up and down motion) for them to slow down. They proceeded to stop and the lady driving told me to get on the sidewalk and her husband was a cop and was going to beat my a$$. I last saw her talking on her phone to her cop husband. Maybe we shouldn’t question the entitlement of driving too fast, but it is my neighborhood and my neighbor’s children on their way to school.

I reported the incident to the sheriff’s office who was going to pay her a visit. The deputy who took my information was very supportive. On the outside chance that she wasn’t lying about the “cop husband” they would turn it over to the appropriate agency for internal review.

I probably should not include details since the police are investigating. However, I will post any developments for your entertainment value.

Thanks for the venting

K'Tesh
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM
You may, or may not know, that I was laid off back in late August from my job as a travel agent. That, and C/O 2009 was the reason I kinda went quiet for a few weeks.

Last week, I landed a job, as tech support for a computer platform. In a weird twist of fate it's the same work for the same platform that I did 12 years ago.

My new commute is 4.5 miles longer (one way) than my old one, and due to TriMet's schedual, either I'm going to have to leave before the first bus to get to work on time, or miss the last bus of the night if I'm on the PM schedual (which I am on currently).

Looks like my commute has just jumped from 12 miles r/t to 21 miles r/t.

Look Out Jr... 2010 and I might be chasing you a lot closer in the mileage challenge.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

jr98664
11-14-2009, 12:56 AM
(Street View (http://tinyurl.com/y9rkamj))

On Wednesday a little bit after 6:00 pm, I was cycling back towards Cascade Park in Vancouver from the Ridgefield area. I was cycling southbound in the right lane on NE 117th Ave (SR 503) without much issue. Cars are generally doing the speed limit of 50 or above, and I'm taking enough of the lane that most are passing at a marginally safe distance. I'm approaching the light NE 119th St (It's the first one for 30 blocks, or 1.5 miles) when a car full of reckless teenagers shout the supposedly obligatory 'get on the sidewalk' as they race past. Now, I would never consider riding on the sidewalk, especially on such a high-speed road in that dark of conditions, even with my 600 lumen headlight, so I never gave it a second thought.

Just as I pull up behind their car waiting at the stoplight, I glance over and notice that, due to the construction of the WinCo Foods on the old site of Bowyer's Par-3 Golf Course, the only thing on the other side of the curb was dirt—this very sidewalk to which they had been referring had been completely torn up. Get on the what, exactly?

For anyone interested, here's an article about the closing of the golf course opened in 1960:
http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/the_little_course_that_could_wont_anymore
Here's one about the WinCo location itself and the surrounding development:
http://columbian.com/article/20090507/BIZ01/705079956

biciclero
11-16-2009, 09:30 AM
"...a car full of reckless teenagers shout the supposedly obligatory 'get on the sidewalk' as they race past."

Car-head is funny. Not usually ha-ha funny, but you know. I don't think most drivers who wish cyclists would stay on "The Sidewalk"--whether they yell it or not--have any particular sidewalk in mind. They either assume there are sidewalks everywhere, or have an attitude that says, "hey, if there's no street, I can't drive there, so if there's no sidewalk, you shouldn't be walking/riding there!" The bottom line is that what they really mean is just, "get out of my way!" In your case, though, it may simply be that among teenagers there is a wide range of maturity levels, and this group just wanted to yell something.;)

bubbaPDX
11-19-2009, 08:33 AM
... I would have taken a picture of the giant pile of horse crap on the path in front of OMSI this morning.

hemp22
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM
1) the batteries in my Superflash tail-lights are basically useless after 30 minutes at 20 degrees.
2) Fill your water bottle with warm water if you want to still be able to drink out of it after 30 minutes at 20 degrees.

it was good to still see a few other folks out this morning.

K'Tesh
12-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I rode...

Doctor said if I'm lucky, I'll get to keep the toes. ;)

Stay Warm (Ride FASTER!)
K'Tesh

bubbaPDX
12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Our building management dials back the heat on the weekends.

Made for a brisk Monday morning, on the bike and at the desk.

But hey, any day I get to ride in is a good day. :D

Psyfalcon
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I overdressed.

I like this weather. Better than rain any day (although snow is better still.)

K'Tesh
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I rode home tonight, and my poor toes HURT! Two layers of socks (one wool, one cotton) and the loose shoes were not enough to keep my poor toes warm.

Every step is an adventure in pain.

BTW the WES was running 20 minutes late when I thought about packing it in and catching it from Tigard.

Stay Warm Out There!
K'Tesh

t27
12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
It wasn't too cold for me this morning, I was all bundled up and looking forward to the ride, but My Nexus 8 hub that I have always liked, thought it was too cold to shift. Oh-well I can ride single speed. Opps - one brake thought it was too cold to work. Not waiting for the other one to give out, I will regroup for tomorrow.

Years ago at 20 below I noticed that the snow was no longer slick and riding was just fine, until my freewheel decided to trully free wheel and I was left with a push bike. All the better to stay warm.

bubbaPDX
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
... and here I was layered up like the Michelin Man with a down jacket under the rain jacket, and rain pants over the jeans and longjohns. Ended up a bit overheated. Beats the alternative, I guess.

Will try the new balaclava tomorrow (15 deg F?). Mmm, some baclava would be good, too. :)

bubbaPDX
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Breathing through a balaclava perforated mouth covering is a lot like having a mild asthma attack, particularly on the hill climbs. A feeling like I'm never quite catching a full breath. So I slid the nose opening over my piehole instead. Much better!

biciclero
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a neoprene face mask that has (had) those little perforations in it. I had to connect a few dots and cut out larger holes because I couldn't breathe through it. The inside of it really gets steamed up, too--and it makes for some pretty loud wind noise--but it sure keeps the frostbite away...

rpc
12-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Been having the same tail light issues as Hemp & same cold toe issues as K'Tesh those last few days. A $15 pair of toe warmers from rei really helped with that one though.

hemp22
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
yeah, my superflashes did a little better after putting brand new batteries in them yesterday, but they had still dimmed some by the time i got into work (where it was 8 F).

For a balaclava, I just have a thin Under Armour one - same one that I use under my helmet skiing. I always start with it covering my mouth, but it quickly gets too hot & hard to breathe, so I end up with it pulled down just below my mouth, just covering my chin & neck, and that keeps me warm enough while I'm moving.

Also determined that wearing ski goggles in the morning helps keep the eyeballs from freezing much better than just clear lens glasses.

bubbaPDX
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Back to our regularly-scheduled programming! What a welcome switch from morning temps in the teens.

jr98664
12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Back to our regularly-scheduled programming! What a welcome switch from morning temps in the teens.

Now, I was born in Portland, and I've lived here my entire life, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I much prefer temperatures that are barely freezing with no precipitation to what we had on Tuesday. Assuming you dress properly for the chill, there should be no problem. Even in rain gear, you can still get soaked on a day like yesterday's. Let's just say that I'm not very likely to have another 50-mile commute this week.

Throw in ice though, and it's an entirely different story.

bubbaPDX
12-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Now, I was born in Portland, and I've lived here my entire life, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I much prefer temperatures that are barely freezing with no precipitation to what we had on Tuesday. Assuming you dress properly for the chill, there should be no problem. Even in rain gear, you can still get soaked on a day like yesterday's. Let's just say that I'm not very likely to have another 50-mile commute this week.

Throw in ice though, and it's an entirely different story.

Guess it's my English extraction, and the relative shortness of my commute (10 miles round-trip). I just don't mind the rain... or the mild temps and green landscape that come with it. :)

Lived on the Gulf Coast (Louisiana, Texas) where everything goes cold and brown. Lived in upstate New York and New England where it gets buried in snow for 6-8 months (memories of 4AM wake-up plus snowblower plus -20 deg F). This is a pretty gentle climate here.

Of course, ask me how I feel about the rain in another year or so.

jr98664
12-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Today I was blessed with a relatively dry ride in. At the very least, there was no water coming from above. I was getting wetter just from rain gear itself. On my way home, everything looked just clear enough to not don my rain jacket. This held true until the very last quarter mile of my commute. As we all probably know, if I had worn my rain gear, it likely wouldn't have rained on me, right?

Psyfalcon
12-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Eh, I wore my raingear out into a slight drizzle this morning, and with a tailwind! Just as I reached the point where turning around for the MAX is a bad idea, it opened up on me. Nearly drowned in a couple puddles.

20F and dry please.

Oldguyonabike
12-24-2009, 11:27 AM
The "frog" (freezing fog) this morning delivered me to work this morning with a completely frozen beard and ice on my gloves and jacket. It wasn't uncomfortable, really. Just amazed at how the mositure is the air so close to freezing will actually do that when you add a little wind chill to the mix.

K'Tesh
12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Had fun, and a few scary moments riding home last night. Where I could get into fresh (untrod) snow, it was fun. The more footprints/tiretracks, the worse the ride was.

I thought about taking Hwy 217, and in hindsight I probably would have had a better ride on 217, but the glass I dodged the other day made me a little wary, so I headed for the Fanno Creek Trail.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/4227939122_20b79bc429.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157622974614329/)

Slushyside Down!
K'Tesh

flying_dutchman
12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
A pair of deer were walking along the railroad tracks last evening adjacent to the Oaks Bottom lagoon. Pretty nice to see :D

K'Tesh
01-14-2010, 09:36 AM
A little bit of Hwy 217, a little bit of street riding, and some trail thrown in for fun... Even found one of those little claw things that you use to pick up small parts that drop into tight spaces.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Rode in today,

I hate headwinds, and there were lots of debris from the evening's storms.

I did manage to pull off a guerilla paint circle in Tigard to flag a core sample that knocked my wheel out of true though.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4282075258_586c9f27e6.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2661/4282073002_e2c5472eb6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157623103394043/)

K'Tesh
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Once I hit SW Hall today, I stayed on it until I got to Durham. Noisy, and there were some issues I had with the bike lane over near Washington Square.

But I got to work on time.

Anybody else riding these days?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

flying_dutchman
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Today I was frustrated by an incompetent cyclist. His skill and strength may have been surperior, he may even have been brilliant, but he had no idea what was going on around him. He was wearing I-Pod ear buds and could not hear my close and repeated ringing that he pull over and let a 56 year old clydsdale pass. People with ear buds who can't be aware of of their surroundings are hazards to us all.

OK rant over

K'Tesh
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Saw about fifty waves of Canadian geese flying over me as I left for work this morning.

I suspect my mileage is gonna jump real soon

Psyfalcon
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Took a plastic bag to my rear derailleur on BH and Lombard... (shopping center). It appears totaled. It also pretzled my rear fender when it went and tangled with one of the stays.

That is one advantage of the automobile. A plastic bag usually does not cause major damage.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs458.ash1/25194_608344615420_6904109_36366018_6733913_n.jpg

flying_dutchman
03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Took a plastic bag to my rear derailleur on BH and Lombard... (shopping center). It appears totaled. It also pretzled my rear fender when it went and tangled with one of the stays.

That sux. Next time run over a paper bag

It reminds me of a time I was mt. biking in Hawaii, and so much mud built up on the chain that it rippe the derailer right out of the drop out.

K'Tesh
03-15-2010, 08:41 AM
On my commute this morning, ran into one of our lurking members. It was fun riding with him for a little bit.

Adieu
K'Tesh

setha
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I was pleasantly surprised the other day to see the bike lane at Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway at Bertha was recoated with the new-style green thermoplastic. Now if only the sign which instructed cars to yield to bikes in the blue bike lane matched.

--Seth

setha
05-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I saw the crew putting up the matching sign this morning, at BH and Bertha. I said "thank you" as I rode past.

--Seth

eastside mike
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
A quiet ride thru the scenic gorge near Bridal viel.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc219/walkingfloor198/324-1.jpg

Spiffy
05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
A quiet ride thru the scenic gorge near Bridal viel.

wow, I wish my commute was that beautiful...

it's only that nice if I take a scenic detour on the Springwater Trail...

bubbaPDX
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Timo (and Emily, usually there but absent today), for the Friday coffee and pastry and conversation atop the Morrison Bridge.

bubbaPDX
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Coming up SW Morrison this morning. Stop with the MAX at SW 3rd. Hear impatient "beep-beep" behind me.

Yes, the red light holds while the MAX proceeds through the intersection, then turns green when it clears the intersection.

Yes, vehicle traffic traveling in the same direction as the MAX could jump the red light, with minimal risk of colliding with cross traffic/pedestrians. I've seen plenty of cyclists do it.

No, I'm not going to do that.

bubbaPDX
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I was rolling down SE Division Place toward the river and OMSI when a gentleman in a Toyota minivan calls to me, "BE CAREFUL!"

He's gesturing back toward SE Caruthers, near McCoy Millwork and Portland Opera. Sure enough, there's an unmarked police car (grey Mustang GT) and an officer ticketing a cyclist who (presumably) rolled the stop sign at 4th and Caruthers.

Two cyclists in front of me blithely roll the stop sign anyway.

Thanks, Van Man, for the heads-up!

Spiffy
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
speaking of rolling a stop...

wednesday night coming down through ladds we got on SE 21st coming down to clinton to make a left... the bike in front of us rolled the stop sign making a left, pissing off a van coming the other way that had stopped and had the right of way...

we stopped, there were some people around but nobody crossing anywhere... we start to take off and somebody that had been standing there the entire time finally steps off the sidewalk startling us both...

apparently the person crossing had assumed we weren't going to stop either so they didn't cross the street when they normally would have in the half block it took us to get there after stop-roller guy went through... since they didn't cross when they had plenty of opportunity we thought they were just hanging out (maybe smoking or waiting for a friend) and weren't going to cross...

I see this all the time!

people are so used to bikers breaking the law that they compensate their actions to assume that all bikers are going to break the law... then when we actually obey the law there's a mini little cluster f_ck because the other people screwed up the timing of things...

bubbaPDX
07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Sure enough, there's an unmarked police car (grey Mustang GT) and an officer ticketing a cyclist who (presumably) rolled the stop sign at 4th and Caruthers.

After two years on this route, I notice for the first time this morning that there's also a stop sign at SE Division Place and SE 4th Ave... just spitting distance from the intersection described above. Whether it's new or is usually obscured by produce trucks parked there, I don't know. But I've long been rolling that intersection, checking for bike traffic from the Springwater and the occasional Ross Island concrete truck as I cross the RR tracks onto SE 4th.

Would be like shooting fish in a barrel for our friend in the grey, unmarked Mustang.

beelnite
07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Most annoying when you and other cyclists are waiting at the intersection - in some semblance of pecking order - and roll-stopper just cruizes on by (right or left - does it matter?) into the field of vision - into traffic.

Cuz you know - the rest of us are just dim-witted morons - we need roll-stopper to get out there and let us know it's NOT safe to cross. Watching him/her almost get flattened really confirms that for the rest of us waiting to clip or strap in and get a move on...

And we will - and most of us will solemnly ride past roll-stopper with nary a sidelong glance - teeth set.

Yeah we'll get moving as soon as roll-stopper is done jumping the line, blocking our field of vision in an already chaotic intersection, flipping-off the driver that nearly killed them and then clearing the intersection while the rest of us roll eyes and wait...

...of course... brilliant.

No profiles here- roll-stopper is young, old, male, female, lycra, cutoff, business suit for sure.

beelnite
07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I sorta took a guy to task for being in the bike lane this morning… ON HAWTHORNE BRIDGE

Well he was on an electric motor scooter – like NO PEDALS – I just think that’s wrong, I don’t care if there’s some technicality that lets them in the bike lane because they can’t exceed some speed limit or something.

Plus the bike lane... turns into a SIDEWALK over the bridge.

If it’s speed dependent - whatever trigger lets this crap in the bike lane– I think it should be 10 mph TOPS.

But this guy could easily do 25 mph feet planted. I know because he passed me and I rode up on him to share my perspective-- speedometer.

Well I am an ass - you guys know this- so I got in front of him in the bike lane as we crossed Hawthorne Bridge and I made that idiot go 15 mph. There’s freakin pedestrians – 25 on an electric scooter?!?! On the effen sidewalk!?!!

“I just don’t like it! What are you handicapped? Is that an Oscar? No! You are just lazy. And technically you are on the sidewalk now.”

“Look it up on Google.” He says.

“The internet! Oh sure! No dude – it’s wrong and you know it. You should be out there – in the road. I know you can handle it.”

Gah – well then we get on Naito and finally, finally after I’ve been begging him to take the lane since 7th Ave. – he finally takes the lane and roars by…

“Now see! Doesn’t that feel better!?!? That’s where you belong man!”

He turned up Taylor and then turned into his expensive parking garage.

Just like a motorcycle.

I wonder if he uses the bike rack or pays for a space? Maybe he puts it in the trunk of his 5si?

q`Tzal
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Gotta get working on that pocket EMP device.
Not just good for ending loud, obnoxious or disgustingly biological cell phone calls on transit,
it would also bring electric bikes to a stop.

I've had an idea for an EMP device that fits the caliber of a paint ball gun, uses that stick industrial snot adhesive that comes in junk mail that could be used by police to avoid car chases. Mount it in the front of the cop car. Fire and forget but not for long: the police officer should be able to leisurely walk over to where the criminal's auto has stumbled to a stop.

Heck, the TASER XREP "self-contained, wireless electronic control device (ECD), that deploys from a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun" is more than half the solution. The other half is not to shock for human muscles but to overload the vehicle's computer. The body, or frame, of every auto I've heard of is the ground path, is connected to the CPU or vehicle control unit(s). Instead of wasting energy flooding every frequency simply overload the common processor clock frequencies: if you burn out the CPU clock the entire data management structure should collapse. Driver loses ignition, fuel injection and the engine shuts down. Now they are a pedestrian.

scoot
07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
I sorta took a guy to task for being in the bike lane this morning… ON HAWTHORNE BRIDGE

Well he was on an electric motor scooter – like NO PEDALS – I just think that’s wrong, I don’t care if there’s some technicality that lets them in the bike lane because they can’t exceed some speed limit or something.

Plus the bike lane... turns into a SIDEWALK over the bridge.

I saw a guy on a gas-powered scooter, more like what we called a "mini bike" when I was a kid, riding in the lane with cars downtown until he got to an intersection where he turned into a crosswalk, crossed with the peds (riding this thing) and up onto the sidewalk. Then he just motored on down the sidewalk. I was amazed. It was as loud as a lawnmower and he had to have been going 15 mph on the ped-filled sidewalk. A couple of hours later, I saw him in another part of downtown, still blasting along on a sidewalk.

I don't think even the haterest haters would've blamed his kind of stupid on bikes.

setha
08-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Thursday morning I flatted, Beaverton Hillsdale Highway, 4100 block, eastbound. I even got the pop-psssss sound on the helmet cam. I put up the video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcV8xzKVPBc). I knew it was a glass flat because the crunchy sound I heard right before the pop. I'm not sure that crunch made it onto the video, though. I did pull a hunk of glass out of the tire later that day. This is yet another thing the 2011 legislature could do: enhance the bottle bill. I say 25 cent bottle deposits. This is in addition to banning distracted driving, of course (see JM's post on the bp main board from 8/20/2010 about that issue.)

malkad
08-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I regularly cross the Hawthorne Bridge from downtown to the east side. I've seen either panhandlers or street vendors/musicians and the like positioned on the median where motorists are stopped and waiting to merge onto the bridge. As you may know, cyclists must cross in front motorists at this stop sign. It bothers me that because of the position of these street vendors, a driver may become distracted and not be aware of oncoming cyclists. Are there not laws that govern where people may or may not beg/solicit? To what government agency can someone report such a concern?

Bent Bloke
08-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Regarding the Hawthorne issue, I've always felt the curb-cut should be moved 6 feet to the east. The problem isn't just the panhandlers (the trumpet guy is a Portland icon), it's that cars trying to merge on to the bridge have poor sight lines. They all have to creep forward and encroach on the bike lane curb-cut in order to get to a spot where they can see bridge approach.

K'Tesh
08-23-2010, 08:08 PM
This is yet another thing the 2011 legislature could do: enhance the bottle bill. I say 25 cent bottle deposits. This is in addition to banning distracted driving, of course (see JM's post on the bp main board from 8/20/2010 about that issue.)

I say, up cans and plastic bottles (including non-carbonated beverages) to a dime, and I FULLY support your idea for 25˘/glass bottle containers (to include wine).

malkad
08-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Good point about the curb cut. There should be a greater distance between the stop sign and the cycle lane. Despite all the inherent challenges, though, I love cycling in Portland!

bubbaPDX
09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
To the woman in the green Honda Element who pantomimed shooting me with a pistol as I stopped at a stop sign in the Brooklyn neighborhood and signaled a right turn:

Good morning!

http://www.ss.esp.br/cgi-bin/imprensa/CONTADOR(65).jpg

bikewonder
10-07-2010, 10:16 AM
To all the people that ride down the NW ramp of the Hawthorne Bridge onto the Waterfront:

The ramp is two way traffic. Check out the signs at the bottom of the ramp. Plus there is a sign at the top that says one way traffic only - which is the direction into downtown. I have tried to get Multnomah County to put a sign at the top of the bridge to inform users that the ramp is two way. It is a great commute route to get into downtown.

http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=132&d=1286471385

Hoping to get people to stop giving me dirty looks and telling I am going the wrong way,
Janis

Psyfalcon
10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
The Northwest ramp? Going westbound you can go straight and into downtown on SW Main, or exit to the waterfront.

Are you saying you are going UP the ramp? To where?

Climb the ramp to go up Main?

Spiffy
10-07-2010, 03:59 PM
bikewonder, you're reading the sign wrong... don't worry, it's a very poorly designed sign...

it says that bikes on the path in front of you are westbound only... so when you go up the ramp to the east you're going the wrong way...

it should be a simple No Bikes sign...

as Psyfalcon states, there's nowhere to go once you get up there other than west down to Main, which would have been easier to get to by just crossing the street at the crosswalk before you went up that ramp the wrong way... unless you walk your bike across the north side of the bridge to the east bank...

bikewonder
10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Spiffy, I am not going the wrong way - thank you very much. And personally I think it is a great way to get into downtown. Crossing at the sidewalk only gets me to Naito - unless you want me to ride illegally on the sidewalk.

Next time you are at the ramp read the signs at the top of the ramp/bridge and at the bottom. Your comment that the sign is telling me that people are going west is ridiculous.
"it says that bikes on the path in front of you are westbound only... so when you go up the ramp to the east you're going the wrong way..." why would they put up a sign to tell me that the bikes in front of me are going westbound and yet the sign points up the ramp and the sign at the top tells me one way - to downtown.

I am not asking you if you like my choice of commute routes - I am telling you that the ramp is two way and that people need to understand that when they are riding down it.

Spiffy
10-08-2010, 08:14 AM
is this the ramp you're talking about? (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4636+SE+99th+Ave,+Portland,+Multnomah,+Orego n+97266&ll=45.514425,-122.673825&spn=0.000731,0.000827&t=k&z=20)

bikewonder
10-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Yep that is the ramp. Climb up it and then do a u-turn to head downtown.

scoot
10-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't think you're ever going to stop people giving you dirty looks and telling you you're going the wrong way. What you're doing may be technically a-okay, but it surely looks weird to people coming off the bridge. I see someone riding the wrong way down the middle of one-way street almost every day, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone were crossing the bridge on the wrong side, oblivious, but it would piss me off because it would be putting everyone else in danger. So just the possibility that you're about to ride head-on the wrong way across the bridge would be enough to freak people into speaking to/scowling at you.

Spiffy
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM
got yelled at by a cyclist today for the first time... not really sure why...

I think he yelled at me to stay out of the middle of the road and to get into the bike lane...

however I had just moved out of the bike lane to pass him, and since I was making a left I just continued over to the middle lane and as I was making my left he starting yelling at me and called me an azzhole before disappearing...

this was in Milwaukie on Lake Road, 6400 block or so heading SE passing Unified Grocers...

beelnite
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Flatted! Once again... a construction staple. The last 4 flats have come from these nasty, ubiquitos heavy duty staples. They're everywhere!!!

And they have these sharp, pointy teeth, they're usually broken - somtimes "L" shaped just perfect for getting run over and popping up through your layers of kevlar and rubber...

Down with construction staples! It's time to raise awareness! :)

bubbaPDX
10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
A woman in a pickup truck on SE 17th waved me down specifically to thank me for my headlight. It was about 5PM yesterday, and and my light was in flash mode (my default daytime practice). She said she saw me from a long way off.

It's nice to be noticed, quite literally. :D

[p.s., I'm headed into my third winter with my Exposure (http://www.exposurelights.com/) headlight, and am totally happy with it]

K'Tesh
10-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Picked out a screw from my rear tire about a mile from the Greenburg exit from 217. It wasted the rear tire :mad:

setha
11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I can deal with the rain coming down out of the sky. I can deal with some of the puddles. But the puddles that have a clogged storm drain at the bottom are just annoying. I know that City of Portland wants us to call in the clogged drains. But many of these drains are somewhere along Barbur, or Capitol, or BH highway, with no nearby addresses or cross streets.

<begin rant>
Here's a suggestion for anyone from the City who might be reading this. How about you get one of those storm drain vacuum trucks that I sometimes see Clean Water Services using out here in Washington County, and just drive it around. When you see a clogged storm drain, vacuum it out. Actually, just stop when you see any storm drain because many of the ones that are not clogged seem to be partially or mostly full of leaves.

And its time to get the street sweepers rolling, too.

And don't cry to me about budget. If the City wants to be a Platinum Level Bicycle Friendly Community, then you find the money to get the streets swept and the storm drains cleared out so that bicyclists can keep riding. And don't just tell me to take the lane. Barbur, Capitol and BH are all 30 - 40 mph speed limit streets with motor vehicle traffic that goes even faster than that.
<end rant>

setha
11-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Good news: it looks like the city got street sweepers out on Capitol between Barbur and Terwilliger. There are still some leaves left, but way fewer than there were. Here's what it looked like, back on 11/18/2010:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5288/5213881191_b98c4d6796.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5213881191/)

Bad news: now it looks like a downed tree is blocking the bike lane, near the same location. Here's what it looked like, afternoon of 11/27/2010:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/5213766975_5f30214709.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5213766975/)

and

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5213813385_95d4970ae1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5213813385/)

I did call the PDX 24 hour maintenance number, who said they would refer it to Forestry.

It looks like someone cleared the motor vehicle lane, but did not bother to clear the bike lane. I also wrote an email to Mayor Adams, with cc's to Rob Sadowski at the BTA, Jonathan Maus of bikeportland.org, and Andy Clarke of the LAB. Leaving the bike lane blocked doesn't seem very "platinum-y" to me. And this isn't the first time someone has done a sloppy job removing tree debris on this part of Capitol. I said so in my email.

I also sent them a follow-up email with the following picture, showing tree debris blocking Capitol, from last fall, September 2009:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5213956251_5f7b921c78.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5213956251/)

(While the picture from 11/27/2010 was not from a commuting bicycle ride, the picture from September 2009 was from my commute home. And this location is on my commute route. So I posted it under the "Daily Commute" thread.)

setha
11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I also found this (see pictures below) on my ride over my commute route on 11/27/2010:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5216189261_2c8c9d7b38.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5216189261/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5041/5216189255_72c3b45841.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5216189255/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5201/5216189263_2cdd75407a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5216189263/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5216189267_03e26d7a22.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5216189267/)

I think that the large piece is a fargment of a tire chain. Note the ringlets that hang off this fragment. The arrows point to a metal ringlets, which looks just like other ringlets that are still attached to the tire chain fragment. The last time we had a snow event in Portland, I picked out ringlets from two flat tires that looked similar to the one you see here. Taken 11/27/2010, on Barbur between Hamilton and Capitol, Portland, Oregon. These are still pictures from my helmet camera.

Anyone know if this is part of a tire chain, and if it is the type that Tri-met uses?

Update: I went to Tri-Met's web page and filled out their form with this information, and asked them if this is from one of their tire chains, whether they had considered the flat tire hazard to bicyclists and even motor vehicles, and if they had considered using a different type of chain.

Update 12/8/2010: Tri-Met wrote to me and said that it looks like it is from the chains they use on their buses. They also said that they are looking into better chains. Also they have Insta-Chains which are always on the bus and deploy as needed. (I'm guessing that this is the same chain system that I see on school buses, but I could be wrong.) I wrote them back and said that the sooner they can change to a different chain, the better.

setha
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I saw this on my non-commute ride of my usual commute route, yesterday, 11/27/2010, about 3:30PM:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5203/5217092748_62699a22cb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5217092748/)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5217167252_75342a15f3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5217167252/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5048/5217167258_6660d94d7d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5217167258/)

It's bad enough that road construction crews use the bike lane for "Road Construction Ahead" sign placement. But when there's no road construction happening, how about moving the signs onto the side of the road, and off of the bike lane? They managed to do the right thing with the 3rd sign (see the arrow in the 3rd photo,) why not the first 2?

These pictures are stills from my helmet cam, from Scholls Ferry Road, westbound, between Montclair and just past Nicol, in unincorporated Washington County, Oregon, about 3:30PM 11/27/2010.

setha
11-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I was pleased to see that the tree limbs and leaves had been removed from the bike lane on Capitol this evening, on my ride home. I also got a follow-up email from Natalie Sept of the Mayor's office on this. I sent Ms. Sept a reply thanking her for getting the problem fixed. I cc'd the people to whom I had sent the earlier email with the complaint.

setha
12-15-2010, 01:29 AM
I've complained to Tri-Met about this before: vehicles parked in the bike lane while a worker maintains a bus stop, while there is sufficient off-street parking right nearby that Tri-Met could use, but won't, since it is on private property. In this case, in the first shot near Beaverton-Hillsdale and SW 39th, the van parks straddling the bike lane and the sidewalk, where it could have just as easily parked in a driveway a few feet further away. You can see the driveway, sort of, off to the right in the first picture. It parked around the corner on Bertha Blvd. in the last shot of the set at a later bus stop on BH. Tri-Met has said they don't like to use private parking. It seems to me that since the bus stop benefits the nearby property owner, that an occasional Tri-Met vehicle parked in an available parking space on the property would not be over burdensome.

I suppose that I am going to have to follow K'Tesh's example (see his other thread on grates.). Instead of just noting it here, I'm going to have to put it in an email to Tri-Met and the BTA.

These are still pictures captured from helmet cam video, 12/15/2010, about 8:40AM, Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, Portland, OR.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5262568079_2ec2acf77e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5262568079/)
trimet_vehicle_in_bikelane_bh_39th_near_driveway (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5262568079/) by pdxcommuter (http://www.flickr.com/people/49622638@N00/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5249/5262568107_f981b76458.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5262568107/)
trimet_vehicle_pulling_away_near_bh_39th (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5262568107/) by pdxcommuter (http://www.flickr.com/people/49622638@N00/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5262568089_2448477f3d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5262568089/)
trimet_vehicle_sidestreet_bh_bertha (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5262568089/) by pdxcommuter (http://www.flickr.com/people/49622638@N00/), on Flickr

biciclero
01-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Yesterday: driving to work, avg. speed along highway portion of commute: 12mph
Today: riding to work, avg. speed for entire trip: 16mph

It's only too bad I can't take a direct route to work when I ride...

beelnite
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Hopefully the "socked in" air feeling lifts tomorrow. Some people feel it some don't. We had an inversion this week trapping the air and causing pollution levels to rise. The National Weather Service forecast said a good chance we'd get better air circulation with storm fronts coming in.

dmc
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM
I went down pretty hard the other day. My tires (100psi) slipped out from under me as I was slightly (very slightly) banking a turn. As soon as I felt my tires lose traction everything went into slow motion. I had just enough time to plan my fall. I went with the wreck and rolled through it a couple times with my bike.

I am so thankful I was wearing the amount of clothes I was. I'm so happy I was wearing gloves, helmet and two long sleeve shirts. My elbows and hands escaped most of the violence. The only real injury was to my left knee. The pavement sanded through my jeans and took off a few layers of skin.

I'm a young man and I pride myself on knowing how to fall good (years of childhood experience). If this were to happen to an elderly cyclist, the outcome could have been much different.

The area I want to make an awareness of is the south side of the I-14 Pedestrian crossing in Vancouver. The pavement is relatively new and without defections in the surface layer that makes it extremely slippery. I've had big issues with this area in the past roller blading with my girlfriend.

There was a young man about my age that came from a distance to make sure I was ok. Although it was a little embarrassing, it was extremely comforting to know that he came to make sure I was ok.

As a newcomer to this sport/activity/lifestyle I have learned a valuable lesson the other day. Just because the sun is shining and the pavement looks dry doesn't mean its not slick.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7867/bikeslip.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4373/bikeslipzoom.jpg

Just wanted to take some time to make an awareness about my unfortunate luck in the hopes of at least preventing one spill.

Alan
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, dmc, I ride through there occasionally; love Maya Lin's bridge. Sorry about your spill; glad that you survived it well.

The pavement sanded through my jeans and took off a few layers of skin.

I recall a test run by some motorcycle magazine many years back. They sewed up pads of various materials, filled them with cakes of chalk to the same weight, and attached them (one at a time) to an arm hanging off the back of a vehicle that would swing down when they pulled a release. They had some device on the end of the arm, next to the pad of test material, to mark exactly where the pad hit the road. The chalk, of course, marked where the material wore through. I forget the speed they ran the tests at but it wasn't real fast, 40 or 50mph is my recollection. They were mostly looking at the then-new synthetic m/c riding-suit fabrics and how they compared to good leathers (they performed well) but they tested some "designer" leather and denim, too, since lots of riders wear those. Jeans fared the worst, by far. Again I don't remember the exact numbers, but basically the rider's skin was on the road an instant after the jeans touched the surface, just a few feet. Better than bare skin, but not a lot better.

180mm_DaN
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I've been riding in North Portland for 15 years, and I can't remember seeing so many bad-weather riders. I usually commute home after 7pm and this Autumn and Winter I've been surprised not being alone at braving the elements when it's pouring rain or 30 degrees... impressed

Oldguyonabike
01-28-2011, 09:43 AM
What's going on out there? My morning commute from Mt tabor to Clackamas Town Center on the 205 bike path is nearly always a solitary one. The occassional meth head on an unlit BMX not withstanding. But this morning! At 6:30 AM south of Johnson Creek there were FOUR red blinky lights. A FIFTH bike came down Sunnyside and met us at the light. Who'd a thought?

Spiffy
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
What's going on out there? My morning commute from Mt tabor to Clackamas Town Center on the 205 bike path is nearly always a solitary one. The occassional meth head on an unlit BMX not withstanding. But this morning! At 6:30 AM south of Johnson Creek there were FOUR red blinky lights. A FIFTH bike came down Sunnyside and met us at the light. Who'd a thought?

I'm one of the ones you're not seeing anymore... just been wussing out with all the cold and wet... just don't have the energy lately, but that's also due to other life factors...

one good side effect is that there's less glass on the trail with less people using it...

Oldguyonabike
01-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Had to sweep some up yesterday. There's still some under Johnson Creek overpass I've been meaning to get to. So be aware as you go under there. maybe I'll get at it on the way home tonight. Its a scarey place to stand and sweep because that S curve is blind to riders from both directions.
I had hoped that the beer bottles would stay inside for the winter, but not to be.

Praxillea
01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
What is with the block of ice on the path in the mornings on 205 path just north of the Springwater? I haven't figured out why that keeps showing up occasionally but careful of it.

Thursday morning it was broken apart into several big chunks that is hard to see at 6:30 in the a.m.

K'Tesh
02-02-2011, 12:12 AM
(But dang it cold)

Took some pictures of the Fanno Creek Trail
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/5409446379_d302f9da3a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/5409446379/)

I saw that the mountain was out (no photos). ;)

Praxillea
02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
The ice was back on the 205 path this morning, lots of it! I stopped and took some photos and kicked most of it off to the side of the path. It had frozen to the path so if you hit it on a bike it would be like hitting a solid rock embedded into the ground, took a while to break it free.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/MsArcturus/IMAG0165.jpg These are the ice blocks on the side of the 205 path just north of the Springwater intersection. I kicked most of the broken pieces off the path, the bigger one is about the size of my foot and solid! Just watch out for them if you go through here. They aren't an every day occurrence. I started noticing them last fall, didn't see much this winter and last week I started noticing them again.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/MsArcturus/IMAG0164.jpg this picture is the ice in the nearby cul-de-sac where I think kids might be putting them out? these had a circle drawn around them (10ft diameter?) with an X in the center where the ice was. The bigger piece is the size of a 5lb sack of flour. Frozen solid to the ground.

Just wanted to get this out so nobody gets hurt.

Oldguyonabike
02-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for kicking them aside. They were there last night ~5:30 on the way home and I negligently went around them then and this morning. Too cold - gotta keep moving... So weird. I did also notice a block of ice and smaller broken pieces in the cul-de-sac. Since you got off and scoped it out, any clue where they are coming from or why there would be random chunks of ice laying around?

Praxillea
02-02-2011, 09:27 AM
My guess is just some kids playing around filling their parents freezer full of ice. This is the same intersection where "death" was painted 3x on the bike path, since then painted over with black paint. Not sure what that powder is below the blocks on the first picture, but it has been showing up as well there.

slowneasy
02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, dmc, I ride through there occasionally; love Maya Lin's bridge. Sorry about your spill; glad that you survived it well.

I recall a test run by some motorcycle magazine many years back. They sewed up pads of various materials, filled them with cakes of chalk to the same weight, and attached them (one at a time) to an arm hanging off the back of a vehicle that would swing down when they pulled a release. They had some device on the end of the arm, next to the pad of test material, to mark exactly where the pad hit the road. The chalk, of course, marked where the material wore through. I forget the speed they ran the tests at but it wasn't real fast, 40 or 50mph is my recollection. They were mostly looking at the then-new synthetic m/c riding-suit fabrics and how they compared to good leathers (they performed well) but they tested some "designer" leather and denim, too, since lots of riders wear those. Jeans fared the worst, by far. Again I don't remember the exact numbers, but basically the rider's skin was on the road an instant after the jeans touched the surface, just a few feet. Better than bare skin, but not a lot better.

Here are the results, a link hopefully. just scroll down the article and the first part lists the materials and testing methods. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/faqs/2809-abrasion-test-cycle-sept-1988-a.html

Alan
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Here are the results, a link hopefully. just scroll down the article and the first part lists the materials and testing methods. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/faqs/2809-abrasion-test-cycle-sept-1988-a.html

Thanks! That's about the right date, could very well be the same article I read. That thread also links to another thread (http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/riding-gear/63580-tear-abrasion-strength-clothing.html) with some more recent tests.

Spiffy
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Next time you are at the ramp read the signs at the top of the ramp/bridge and at the bottom. Your comment that the sign is telling me that people are going west is ridiculous.
"it says that bikes on the path in front of you are westbound only... so when you go up the ramp to the east you're going the wrong way..." why would they put up a sign to tell me that the bikes in front of me are going westbound and yet the sign points up the ramp and the sign at the top tells me one way - to downtown.

I am not asking you if you like my choice of commute routes - I am telling you that the ramp is two way and that people need to understand that when they are riding down it.

I finally got around to taking that ramp and checked all the signs...

you already knew that you're right... (: sorry for doubting you...

the only reason now that I can find for people thinking it's 1-way is that there's a yellow line on the west side of the sidewalk... we're generally told to stay to the right of yellow lines, and so riding up that ramp makes me uneasy... I have no idea why that line is there... I'm thinking it's to keep people from rolling off the curb and onto the defunct ramp to nowhere...

I'm thinking it needs some striping to keep the uphill people from getting plowed by commuters bombing down the ramp not paying attention... or make it 1-way and you'll have to cross Naito...

K'Tesh
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Today I did my first up and over (Beaverton to PDX) commute to get to school. Froze my nose and toes, but it felt good to get moving again. Now if I could only afford to do Cycle Oregon (http://www.cycleoregon.com) again. A 3000ft elevation gain? Bring IT ON!!! :D

http://www.cycleoregon.com/_uploads/elevation-day06.gif
http://www.cycleoregon.com/_uploads/day6.gif (http://www.cycleoregon.com/week-ride/route/day6/)

Oldguyonabike
02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Incredibly, going home last night on the 205 path I came across 8 riders heading north with me and 6 heading south. After riding solo all winter with no other blinkies around it was great to see riders out again. Nothing like a crisp, sunny day for getting the dust of the wheels.

Oh, and thanks to Al who I met at the intersection of the Springwater and 205 path. At 6:00 AM he was sweeping up a mess of broken glass with a hand broom he carries. A carry a broom, too, so we made quicker job of clearing that out together.

There's some kind of badness going on at that intersection. See the notes above about the ice blocks. And "Death" graffitied on to one of the signs. This glass seemed intentional. Very small shards scattered evenly over a large area exactly in the intersection.

dmc
02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Today I set a personal record distance of 37 miles. The rain came off and on during my ride. I was mostly wet from the warm sweat, which felt really good. I was wet today but warm. My nose was a huge problem.... lol. My nose was running the whole bike ride. Reminded me of those cold winter walks to grade school. I'm definitely bringing tissue on my next long bike ride.

Nothing had my adrenaline pumping today except my fast decline down Blandford Dr. Call me a newbie or what you will, but anytime I'm going over 30mph my senses are like a wild cheetah. lol!! All the cars I encountered on foreign roads without bike lanes passed me with an extremely generous amount of room. I have come to realize that a lot of drivers in Vancouver give you the right-of-way even if they are legally entitled to it. It can create some confusion and most of the time I don't feel like hassling with it so I just shrug, smile and go.

Today was a wake up call. We have had such amazing weather lately that I spent a lot of time worrying about what to wear. My dress attire proved accurate to the conditions.

Today was a fun day. I went to a lot of places I have never been before. I live up here by choice. The rain will never deter me from anything.

dmc
02-26-2011, 12:51 AM
I road about 25 miles today. Today was the first day I had to wear a beenie under my helmet. I'm a very warm person by nature but the beenie had to happen.

Tear drops peeled away from my bare eyes on a couple downhill routes today. My wet nose was a big issue today. MUST BRING TISSUE NEXT RIDE. lol....

I road through some snow and ice on my 700c. Kept a straight line and didnt brake or turn. No problems.

Most amazing sunshine today. <3

Haven_kd7yct
03-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Back in the saddle again!

And I'm so happy about it. I saw several other cyclists this morning, which was nice. I took the short route in to work today, since it is the first time I've been on the bike this year. But still.... I feel good.

dmc
03-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Rainy and Windy forcast (kgw.com/weather/) for today (3/10/11). GOOD! After three days of being off the saddle due to replacements I'm gonna get so wet today! w00t.

Friday (3/11/11) is suppose to be ample sunshine.

Looking forward to doing at least 20mi each day.

Good luck, Have fun

nuada
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM
..SE 41st at Hawthorne, north side of the intersection, found after 8 p.m. (I didn't know how to start a new thread so I figure it would be seen if I posted here.)

K'Tesh
03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Last night, I was coming home from picking up another bucket for the PBOT shop-by-bike program, when I was momentarily blinded by that single lightning bolt that hit Beaverton around 9:30pm. After the flash cleared, I thought that the power went out, the world was so much dimmer, but I could clearly see that the lights were on.

DAAAMMMMNNN! I had just been around where it apparently struck (Home Depot) not that long before it hit.

biciclero
03-18-2011, 09:21 AM
I actually drove to work today, but at one point, I found myself waiting behind a few cars at a red light at an intersection where I wanted to--and was signaling to--turn right. I noted as I was waiting that there was a pedestrian waiting to cross the street that I was turning onto. My light turned green, the ped signal turned to "walk", and when I got to the intersection, I stopped to wait for the pedestrian to clear my destination lane + 1. The guy behind me immediately started honking at me.

Just goes to show one doesn't need to be on a bike to get honked at for operating legally and safely.

Beltdriver58
03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Just moved to NW PDX from Pittsburgh. Will be commuting to SE daily via Hawthorne bridge. A little intimidated by the amount of traffic here. Can anyone suggest a route to ride this weekend to get me more comfortable with things; preferably a longer loop to help me get my legs back while also training my cycling/traffic etiquette. Any suggestions on scenic fun routes also appreciated.

Alan
03-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Just moved to NW PDX from Pittsburgh. Will be commuting to SE daily via Hawthorne bridge. A little intimidated by the amount of traffic here. Can anyone suggest a route to ride this weekend to get me more comfortable with things; preferably a longer loop to help me get my legs back while also training my cycling/traffic etiquette. Any suggestions on scenic fun routes also appreciated.

Over in the "Ride/Event Announcements (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)" forum there's a ride tomorrow around the Alameda neighborhood, "Awesome Architecture." It's a very easy ride but you could stretch it out by riding to it from NW, and then any other touring you want on the return.

Also in that forum, K'Tesh recently posted about a 100-miler in "Study Hard... Ride Harder.." thread. His route went all around the metro area, from westside to east, north across to Vancouver, and back on the Springwater in SE (if I recall correctly). He had a link to a route map but I'm not finding it right now...K'tesh?

City of Portland has some maps of bike routes online, here (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34809).

I hear Hawthorne bike lanes can get a bit crowded at rush hour, so just relax and pace with the rest of the pack and it shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to BikePortland!

Beltdriver58
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Alan,
Thanks for the info. That link to the bicycles routes looks like it's going to be really useful. I'll probably for tomorrow just map a loop around the city and see where I get lost.
Cheers

beelnite
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
He surprised me. The big rig 18 wheeler on Stark street this morning approaching the 205 interchange.

He saw me - I'm lit up like a Christmas tree in front of him and we only had a few feet to go before he needed to turn but rather than wait the two seconds needed to let me clear he just brought that truck and trailer 6 inches from my face and squeezed me.

Wow. Felt pretty effen premeditated. No I didn't get jack off the truck - Safeway truck... 6:45 a.m. Stark and 205. That's all I got.

Kinda freaked - and I ride a lot and describe myself as confident.

But it just wasn't my day... then there was the delivery driver roaring through the bike route off SE Salmon... on his cell phone. The SQUEEZE again...

He squeezed by with his foot on the gas - left maybe 3 feet... better than the Semi... still... so he could STOP at the red light so I could sit beside him and politely ask him why it was so necessary to pass in order to stop less than 1/2 a block later? Really? We sat there 2 minutes. I'm a great and comprehensive MIME.

He didn't even hang up. Then the light turns green - he squeezes us again (I'm with other cyclists again) foot on gas... AND TURNS LEFT half a block later...

Why is it so necessary to pass on the bike routes with little room and while accelerating? I just don't get it. On your phone?

Got the digits on that one. Sorry bud. Calling you in. In response to the cliche question "How's my driving?" Well. It sucks.

beelnite
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Alan,
I'll probably for tomorrow just map a loop around the city and see where I get lost.

Welcome Beltdriver58!

Can I be a bit of a Nanny (Ninny?) and politely ask that you brush up on some of our "codes of proper conduct" whilst integrating into a really cool method of commuting?

Oh you're fine, yes the rules of the road- it's the little things we like to see and some of us try and edumacate cyclists on - little courtesies like - on the Hawthorne - give the pedestrians room - and let them know you're coming. Don't sweat the person demanding you move to let them go 25 mph inches away from defenseless pedestrians.

Oh always pass Left when safe to do so! That's a nice one. Oh just the usual stuff - we wax eloquent in the forum!

There... civic duty - I just had to ask. I'm no Saint, but we try.

K'Tesh
03-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Over in the "Ride/Event Announcements (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)" forum there's a ride tomorrow around the Alameda neighborhood, "Awesome Architecture." It's a very easy ride but you could stretch it out by riding to it from NW, and then any other touring you want on the return.

Also in that forum, K'Tesh recently posted about a 100-miler in "Study Hard... Ride Harder.." thread. His route went all around the metro area, from westside to east, north across to Vancouver, and back on the Springwater in SE (if I recall correctly). He had a link to a route map but I'm not finding it right now...K'tesh?

City of Portland has some maps of bike routes online, here (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34809).

I hear Hawthorne bike lanes can get a bit crowded at rush hour, so just relax and pace with the rest of the pack and it shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to BikePortland!

Here's the link to the route (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18916556;jsessionid=04F9268EDA21681FAC88DABBE8C487 2E)...

boneshaker
03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I thought this thread was about the daily commute? You guys are way off topic ;)

How bout all that sunshine this morning? Huh? Anybody? Dang it's almost springtime. I left the rain-coat hanging on the porch and wore my new shoes this morning because I'm sure it won't rain on the way home this afternoon. March has been wet but it looks like it's starting to turn.

dmc
03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
So, both of my tires get popped in the same week. I learned how to solve a tire bulge.

The front brakes were not springing back all the way. I spent some time taking the front brakes completely apart and checking the movement of the brake cable.

In a sense, I'm so glad I bought a cheap bike as a newbie. This bike has given me the opportunity to examine and learn every part of the bike.

I like my shitty bike. I like what it has made me learn. I look forward to buying a better bike.

I just bought another rear bike light. In my humble opinion, Rear lights > front lights. Concerning safety.

Take care brothers and sisters, ride safe. The sunshine is coming soon. (I hope) :D

beelnite
03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I may have broke all the rules today.

I maybe didn't wear my helmet.
I maybe also didn't run my lights.
And I might have worn ear buds, possibly in both ears.
Perhaps the music was a bit loud.
I may have ran several stop signs
And I might have went when I thought it was safe at a stop light or two or three.
There's a chance I rode on the sidewalk downtown.
It's possible I also chose dark, non-reflective clothing.
It's very likely I did not run fenders and passed fellow cyclists with impunity anyway.
I might have ignored TriMet
I maybe jumped the stop while other cyclists were waiting and then went... incredibly... slow...
And it's not out of the realm of reality that I wove thru downtown traffic with extreme smugness (Snob, 2011).
Later, I think I might have passed a fellow cyclist on the right, then maybe tailgated a Ford F-250 and possibly passed a Chevy on a downhill and earned a honk.
It's not unlikely that I met a friend and we rode side by side with no concern for traffic behind us.
I may have signaled a right turn with my finger extended.
I might have used a parked car's side mirror so I didn't have to unclip.
It's possible I hugged the curb and snaked around a few parked cars.
There's a chance I rode the wrong way in the bike lane (but I was in Outer East Portland so it was OK.)

But I am absolutely certain I was stone cold sober.
I also for sure wore my safety glasses and carried water.
And I am positively dead on that I yielded and extended courtesy to EVERY pedestrian I encountered. Ridiculously so.

There's some lines even I won't cross.

It was an interesting day of possibilities.

dmc
03-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Excellent read. +1

beelnite
04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I flatted the very next day... :cool:

K'Tesh
04-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I flatted the very next day... :cool:

Carma's a bitch! (This better not be an April Fools Joke).

What's worrying to me, is I'm riding on a slimed tube I know is leaking, and I did my entire Century ride (as well as a couple of hundred miles before, and probably a hundred since) in that condition. Now that I've said that, I'm certain it'll go flat just as I get exactly between the two furthest (uphill) bus stops in TriMet's system (after the last bus leaves).

K'Tesh
04-01-2011, 11:48 AM
In my quest to find the best routes from Beaverton to PSU, I've been riding routes that I seldom (if ever) have ridden on.

I've found that SW Canyon is one that will have to go in the junk pile. There were aspects of it that I liked (steady climbs vs plateaus and steep climbs), but the overall effect was not one I'd want to repeat often. No shoulder/bike lanes for much of it.

The best route I've found for ease (not distance) seems to take me south on the Fanno Creek Trail (or Hwy 217) to 99W/Barbur, and in that way.

Fastest route seems to be to climb Roxy, then hit the Hwy 26 MUP and then take the Hellway route into PDX.

Tolerable route (with good views) is to take the Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy up to Hillsdale, the wind up and around pill hill.

I don't even want to try to see what Barnes looks like.

beelnite
04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
It's a bit warm yes... I for one am overdressed.

dmc
04-07-2011, 01:24 PM
So I've had a few flat tires recently. I'm to add a needle to my seat bag so I can pick out deep shards of glass/rock.

I do have a question for some of you inner-tube changing pros. I sometimes struggle with holding the valve stem out away from the rim as i'm trying to get a good "bite" on the valve stem with my frame pump. I know needle nose pliers will do the job. Do you guys have any tricks to hold that stem firm without using a tool? I was trying to push sideways on the stem so It would grip the side housing of the hole and hold in place while I pushed the air pump housing onto it.

beelnite
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's one DMC.

Tire's flat right? Well I put the tube in the tire with just a tad bit of air in the tube to kinda give it a little shape... not a lot though.

Then I line up tire with tube in it... and apply pressure on the outside of the tire above the stem! You see you aren't actually holding the stem from the inner rim side- you are pushing from the top - through the tire to hold the stem in place.

You see? So pushing on the outside of the tire you push the stem through the hole and press down firm while you attach your pump nozzle. That way you aren't risking shredding the side of your stem/valve thingy by trying to hold it in place with side pressure or pliers.

Speaking of pliers... GASP! I don't bring anything metal near my tires and rims unless it's a spoke turner. No screwdrivers (dear lord), putty knives, pliers... keep away! I hate scratches dings and sharp gouges on my rim... It makes me cry when I see a tire that's been changed using a screwdriver.

I almost can't describe that heinous crime without needing some medication...

rolinon
04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
My early morning commute takes me north on SE/NE 148th and I often see the same 4x4 vehicles zipping by on their way to work. One I was especially critical of was a particular Jeep with noisy tires that always makes me a bit apprehensive as it approaches from behind then zooms by at what seems like a faster than legal speed.

Yesterday, as I was commuting home through a nearby neighborhood, I noticed a man walking his very small Chihuahua. I was about to ask him about the dog when he said, with a fairly strong hispanic accent,"Aren't you the guy I see in the morning on 148th? I drive a white Jeep and I see you every morning."

We ended up having a rather long conversation and he says he's waiting for the weather to get better so he can ride his bike to work. I always cursed him under my breath before, but now I'll wave hello when I see him!

And a few days ago, as I was walking through the baggage claim area of the airport (where I work), a flight attendant looked at me, made a fist pump and said, "Bike commuters are AWESOME!" It really gave me a boost for the day!

Things are not always what they seem and you definitely can not judge a book by its cover. Happy commuting everyone! http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

beelnite
04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Hahaha! It must be because this year I've refused to put fenders on my new ride...

It's raining hard during the commute more than I can remember - I mean the last few years we had some good ones-always- look where we live, but you know you'd get that break in the rain... usually between dusk/dawn? Hmmm.

Could be just me. Maybe I'm feeling it more for no reason.

Today... was... BUCKETS between 7-8 a.m. in SE. Now... if you slow down to 10-12mph you actually may not need a fender, but for some (like me) going that slow requires incredible discipline. ;)

dmc
04-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Almost had a heart attack this evening at dusk when two bunnies ran right across the MUP in front of me, narrowly escaping my front wheel.

This is my second encounter with rabbits in the last month. :)

In the first encounter, the rabbit panics and runs along side my bike. I was afraid he was gonna take a 90 degree turn and run into my bike but instead he just "wigs out" and jumps 3 feet straight into the air. It was so funny, but scary too! lol

biciclero
05-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Wascowy Wabbits!

dmc
05-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Yesterday I did a really fun 35 mile loop. I had started my ride just after a thick afternoon shower.

I first rode down to check out the Vancouver Ave. Bridge. The sidewalks have almost has much sq. ft. as the car lanes do. :D

I have a fear of heights. My first dozen rides across the I-5 bridge were a little hairy. I have never road across the St. Johns bridge. I get really light headed when standing near a cliff or ledge so I stood at the west side of the bridge for a few moments to acclimate. When I decided it was time, I didn't hesitate. I took the right lane and mashed as hard as I could without looking out to my sides. As I road, I noticed that I started to glance out to the south. It bothered me to look out but at the same time I was netting glimpses of one of the best views of Portland and the Williamette I had ever seen.

I rode the I-5, Vancouver Ave, Hawthorne and St Johns bridge today. I Zoo bombed today. I confronted a fear of heights and was rewarded with an amazing view. I can sum up today's ride with two key presses:

+1

I map a lot of my routes so I can find "holes" or areas that I have not rode through. For fun, I've attached a map of my ride yesterday. Enjoy :)
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/9242/bikeroute.jpg

lynnef
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
as an aside... NICE ride home today! Warm, sunny, no jacket! Long sleeves shoved up!

Thought I'd do some math. Bike 1 is my commute/errand bike. Today, bike computer revealed:

643 commuting miles YTD
33 gallons of gas not bought.
>$100.00 not spent.

THAT'S tangible.

I do have a car. YTD, cycling miles are >2x driving miles.

biciclero
05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Was a rear-view mirror witness (from my car, unfortunately on a day like today!) of the kind of "inside-the-box" thinking by drivers that causes so much consternation for cyclists:

Farmington Road, through central Beaverton is two narrow lanes (each way) of 30 - 35 mph traffic; no bike lanes. A cyclist was traveling EB in the right lane, at an estimated speed of 20 - 25 (I was impressed). As I came up behind the cyclist (with recent discussion of Sandy Blvd. in mind), I changed to the left lane and passed, moving back over to the right lane after it was clear. In my rear-view, I saw the driver who had been behind me pass the same cyclist without even moving over enough to touch the lane stripe--extremely close. Are drivers like this not aware they can move over to the left lane (it was clear) to pass a cyclist? Do they really want to "teach the cyclist a lesson" about being a "road hog"? I don't want to assume malice on the part of the driver I saw, but what gives? I guess this is the best argument for taking the WHOLE lane, and not trying to ride FRAP. I found myself wishing I could talk to both parties and tell the cyclist "you get to ride all the way over...here, in the lane!", and tell the driver, "you wouldn't pass a motorcycle or another car like that; don't do it to someone on a bike, either! move over to the other lane!"

q`Tzal
05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't want to assume malice on the part of the driver I saw, but what gives?

I think it was put best in the quote called Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wish someone had sat me down and explained that to me back when I was a raging 6 year old. When I eventually stumbled on the above quote everything seemed to crystallize in to the realization: everyone is just so self-absorbed that they aren't paying attention to anything outside of their immediate 2" of space around them. Bad behavior usually is not intentional but a function of not being aware of one's surroundings.

Even in CDL school they told us to drive all 53 foot of it as if we were a ninja that no one could see. It didn't take too many training trips with a tractor trailer in a city to observe that many people seemed completely unaware of our truck until it was almost too late.

Perhaps the answer is that almost NO ONE is really qualified to drive a motor vehicle because they are human.

dmc
05-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Sunday Parkways was a blast today! My cheeks still hurt from smiling so much.

The rain drizzled a little bit towards the end, but not enough to bother anyone I don't think.

The lemonade stands were out in full force today. I think some of the young juice entrepreneurs have a bright future as carnival barkers. I only purchase one round of drinks today. Next parkways event I'm gonna drink so much juice and lemonade, promised!

lynnef
05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
meanwhile on the West Side...

riding through Cedar Hills, pop out onto SW Park Way from SW Faircrest. Two women attempting to fix a flat. When I offered up that I had a good pump (Topeak Road Morph), they were all over it. Helped them fix the flat (I think I've had a lot more experience at it :) ) and then we all proceeded east.

Hanging by the side of the road there, I got an appreciation for the incredible number of cyclists that commute on SW Park Way. I knew numbers were up from observation as I rode through, but you see a lot more if you are stationary.

Most riders offered assistance, as did many drivers.

Note to self: add a "pay it forward" tube in my bag. My spare tube (650B) won't work on most bikes, but I have a heap of 700c tubes that could be patched and passed on.

dmc
06-17-2011, 03:16 AM
To the guy that passed me through Delta Park southbound: Thanks for letting me tail you underneath the freeway to Denver Ave. I know you turned your head and saw me and slowed your pace so we could stick together!

To the guy that trailed me for awhile and then blew by me at the stop sign. It felt too good to pass you on that hill right after....

<3

dmc