PDA

View Full Version : Daily Commute Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

K'Tesh
08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Was raining when I left home for work, so Henry and I rode the bus (got a pic). I noticed that there was no competition for space on the bike rack.

Got off at the stop before crossing 99W, then it started really pouring... BIG FAT heavy drops of rain, pounding me, soaking me in seconds. It felt GLORIOUS (I was doing my impression of "The Shawshank Redemption"), right up until the lady at the crosswalk with me told me that she was going in for a job interview (she didn't have an umbrella).

After work, I went to dinner with family, so I didn't get to ride, but it's Soooo Nice to have that heat broken.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
08-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Heh. I don't know if this belongs in the commute thread or the "Funny Times in The Saddle" thread...

So I'm on my way to work this morning, heading south along a narrow stretch of Watson through downtown Beaverton. Since the road is narrow, there is no bike lane, and there is a lot of unpredictable traffic there, I'm also in the lane. I'm stopped at a red behind a fairly large, red F250/Ram/Silverado type truck; I'm to the left side of the lane so he can see me in his driver's side mirror. The light turns green and we proceed across Canyon road, whereupon the red truck pulls off to the right as though he was parking. I pass on the left and move up to the next red light, still in the lane.

In my rear-view, I see the same red truck pull back onto the road and across into the left-hand lane (the street is two lanes, one-way) and he pulls up behind the traffic in his lane and is stopped about a car-length behind and to my left. I hear a quick "boop" on the horn and I turn around to look and he is motioning for me to come back and talk to him. I've never had that kind of interaction with a motorist before, so I'm not sure what's coming.

One bit of information I should provide at this point is that today I had decided to mount my headlight (MiNewt X2) in flash mode, due to the cloudy gloom, and I was wearing a yellow helmet and bright yellow jersey with black shorts.

So red truck guy has his window down and says, "Hey, what's that flashing light for?"

"Visibility", I say.

He says, "Oh, I thought you were trying to pull me over! A lot of people might think that with all your yellow stuff!"

"Nope, it's just for visibility, so people can see me--sorry if it was confusing.", I explain.

"Oh. I thought I was gettin' a ticket!" he says.

"Nope, not at all", I say.

I don't know what he thought of the whole thing--whether he was annoyed or relieved or what, but he didn't seem mad or anything.

Apparently I ride with authority...

toddwaddell
08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I was riding downtown with my Mi-Newt x2 Dual, and had a driver in front of me waive me up to his window. Like you, I thought that was rather odd.

When I went up he started to ask me for directions. The he stopped, did a double take and said, "oh, I thought you were a cop!"

These days, I don't tend to ride with those things flashing. The low beams are more than enough most times. For me the dual flashers are generally a bit too much.

Donald
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
After a summer of lightlessness (everything was mounted on my MTB and used for fun rides in the middle of the night...) I remounted flashies and my LogicMv to my roadie.

I too, had an odd experience wearing my yellows once: I about got right hooked and as I passed on the left I asked the guy what the heck he was doing and he was mid-cuss when he looked at me and then his face went a little pale and he said sorry. I'm assuming it's because I looked official; he was easily 3 times my size.

So, I recently replaced the bulb in my Logic and now I'm noticing it seems half as bright and my battery lasts three times as long. Picked up my new bulb from River City, where I bought the unit.

Guessing I somehow got a lower voltage (? I know squat about electricity) bulb. Manufacturer site is of no help. Anyone else have this issue?

You guys with your MiNewts make me remember the days before two kids and one income... Shine on, citizens! Shine on!

beelnite
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Careful y'all - you could get pulled over for impersonating an officer!

That's too funny. Yes the yellows complete the picture.

I doubt anyone would mistake me for bike patrol. I've met some of those dudes and they are huge!!! I swear the guy who routinely runs a beat near my downtown office has arms the size of both my legs put together.

When he warns someone to wait for the crosswalk there is NEVER a discussion.

beelnite
08-19-2008, 04:23 PM
One last note on the DC:

A BMW actually stopped for me while I was waiting for the crosswalk on SE 39th. No one else bothered.

Yeah, that deserves a friendly wave... and oh... why not!!??!

I blew the driver a kiss. I couldn't tell if they were female or male. Does it matter?

vincentpaul
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I've made up a set of plastic pail panniers that I've been using for about the last six months. My wife thinks that they're dorky, but admits that they're very practical. I've made up a complete set of four to do a week's unsupported tour of the coast next month, and mounted all four up this morning to give 'em a test ride during the commute. My wife was picking up the newspaper as I left.
"Don't you think having four of those things mounted looks a little dorky?"
"Yeah, they do. REI's having a sale next week and I can probably get a set of four [panniers] for about $200, maybe I'll stop by."
"You know, I really like those new buckets on your bike."

Donald
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
the last couple of days

I try to always give a "you got everything you need?" shout.

so today, I'm on Williams just past broadway and I see a woman walking her ride and talking on the phone.

I look but I'm bookin' so I can't quite tell so I give her a "you need anything for that flat?"

at which point she stops, surprised, looks at her tires and, obviously noticing that neither is indeed flat, gives me the finger.

which, I must guess, is the recognized sign for "thanks biker buddy dude, but I'm OK today" in the region from which she hails.

sigh.

Haven_kd7yct
08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Maybe she didn't hear you very well, what with the cell phone glued to her ear and in mid-conversation.

She may have thought you were being mean or something... not being that person in that situation, I don't know.

But I'm with you on this one-- sigh.... for some reason, the one-finger salute has become the main way to communicate with others on the road.

K'Tesh
08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Taurus (April 20-May20): You know much more than you think you do. Once you kick start your passions it will be hard to apply the brakes.

I pedal start... ;)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

beelnite
08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Yesterday's ride home was obstuction in the bike lane day.

Really the only time I've faced this in the last year and suddenly 3 instances.

1) On SE 7th heading North. Female bicyclist in street clothes and helmet riding towards me and against traffic in the bike lane!!! WAH!! I can't leave the bike lane because of passing traffic. I full on stop.

"NO! Either over there (I point to the other side of the road to the proper bike lane) OR on the SIDEWALK!!!"

Blank stare, no response. Fine, moving on.

2) Still on SE 7th... and a little white pick up is parked in the bike lane. Great same sitch, can't pass due to traffic... quick jump onto the sidewalk and for some bizarre reason I say:

"NO! NO! WOOOOOF WOOOF ROAR WOOF WOOF!"

My best doberman impersonation. You know barking like a dog is actually an aggressive yet benign expression. The driver sitting in the truck certainly understood.

3) SE Burnside & 102nd. Here comes a large muscular man heading against traffic... "Hey! Please. No man... either over there (points across) or on the Sidewalk!"

Response: "F_ck you."

My Response: "No, seriously... F_ck you."

Aw crud, why did I do that... this guy can tear me in half and that's not where I wanted this to go... sheesh TG he has no chance in hell of catching me.

Sigh... it's really hard to earn back that peace badge. I need a chill pill.

Bent Bloke
08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
He was NB on SE 41st, I was EB on Clinton. He had a stop sign, but blew through without even looking. Not that I always stop, but at least I slow down and check to see if there is anyone coming.

If I had been a few seconds faster he would have t-boned me.

biciclero
08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
OK, not a specific commute experience, but I see enough stories here and have enough experiences of my own to wonder why there is not yet a bikers' manual that covers issues other than "how to deal with cars".

Things I would imagine to be covered in such a manual:
1) Bike lanes are one-way unless signed otherwise.
2) How to queue up at stop lights:
a) With no bike lane painted
b) With a bike lane painted
c) With a bike box painted: What does it imply if you stop to the left/right of another rider? Should the first rider move all the way to the left, or should the box fill towards the left as more riders arrive?
d) What if I arrive at a light just as it is turning green, but there is another rider that was stopped at the red?
3) Following distance behind other riders. Is there a "3-second rule" like for autos?
4) Passing.
a) On the right? EVER?
b) Always on the left?
c) Always with an audible warning?
d) How close?
e) How soon to pass after starting from a stop? Jet ahead from the line only to get passed in the middle of the next block?
5) Being passed
a) Don't swerve to the left when you are surprised by a bell or other overtake warning
b) Don't be surprised (as much as can be helped): monitor your six.
c) Move as far to the right as practicable to create more room for passers?

etc.

Does anyone know of such a "manual"? Next best: What situations involving other bikers do you find "awkward" on your daily commute and how do you handle them (or wish they would be handled)?

Attornatus_Oregonensis
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
There is a manual for cyclists published by ODOT. I don't think it answers all of your questions, though. There is also Ray Thomas' Pedal Power, which I highly recommend. It's less than $10 at various places around town. Before you do that, if you haven't alread, you might check out the BTA site (bta4bikes) and the Swanson, Thomas, and Coon website.

biciclero
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
There seem to be plenty of "manuals" or other instruction as to how to get along with motor traffic, but most of the existing materials seem to implicitly assume that you will be the only bike out there amid a sea of cars. It appears there is a significant amount of confusion about how to behave around other bikes.

K'Tesh
08-27-2008, 01:26 PM
There is a manual for cyclists published by ODOT. I don't think it answers all of your questions, though.

That's free by the way...

There is also Ray Thomas' Pedal Power, which I highly recommend. It's less than $10 at various places around town. Before you do that, if you haven't alread, you might check out the BTA site (bta4bikes) and the Swanson, Thomas, and Coon website.

Also free (if you go to the BTA's Bikes and the Law briefing), or you can download it from the Swanson, Thomas, and Coon's website (http://www.stc-law.com).

That book is where I get a lot of my legal knowledge from.

Knowledge is Power!
K'Tesh

beelnite
08-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Sounds like what B is looking for is a guide on ettiquette for cyclists interacting with each other.

You basically covered all my peeves B! Here's an illustrative example:

Today (in the spirit of the DCT): Dowtown I fall in behind two other riders who have taken the lane. We roll up to the red - knowing it's about to turn green. Oh! Here's Mr. Break-the-peloton pushing through us on my right side!?!?! Now we're a jumbled chaotic omeoba of bicycles. WTF?

"Um, dude, that's like kinda not cool. See cuz I should then be able to do this."

And like a jerk I emulate the behavior I loathe by zipping alongside him and cutting in front. Nothing serious like we had to lock it up, but ashamedly - I admit - aggressive. Jesus wouldn't do that.

But it ticked me off. It wasn't illegal but it was assumptive and rude to break into our little ad hoc group and stick his wheel all up in there.

So we might put something like the following in our ettiquette guide:

When overtaking other cyclists always pass on the left and provide audible warning if necessary.

It is rude to "blow by" stopped cyclists getting started at a new green in low-speed areas.

It's considered Fred and quite obnoxious to roll up on and pass another cyclist who is stopped at a sign or signal. Please gauge their speed after moving on and then pass safely (if you can).

Never pass another cyclist on the RIGHT. Always pass left and provide audible warning if necessary.

Stuff like that...

biciclero
08-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Beelnite knows what I'm talking about. There is a certain "standard" that governs how auto drivers interact with each other. There is a certain set of known "best practices" for car/bike interaction. There should be a generally accepted set of such "best practices" for bike riders interacting with other riders.

I'll cease my hijack of this thread and instead provide a link to an older "etiquette" thread, Cycling Etiquette (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1826).
Maybe the BTA could put together a page on their website that addresses bike etiquette. It will become more and more important as more folks get on bikes. I'm sure the Winter months will see a decline, but next Summer...

djasonpenney
08-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Me Pedal. Me Brake. Me Steer. Me Ride in Traffic!

NOT!

I just remind myself that you don't need an automobile to behave like a jerk in traffic :)

Sounds like what B is looking for is a guide on ettiquette for cyclists interacting with each other.
<snip>

Tait
08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't think it's the passing so much as the unsafe passing of others as they are stopped/just getting started.

As for passing on the left: Yes. If you're on the left side of a one way street, you do not squeeze yourself between the cyclist ahead of you and the curb to pass said cyclist on the left. You pass on the right. That's the only exception that comes to mind though. More generally: pass to the inside of the thoroughfare just like a car would.

beelnite
08-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Sigh... so at the stop sign, crossing a main thoroughfare (SE Ankeny and 28th??)

I guess I just look incompetent because the gal whom I passed several blocks ago decides she knows better when it's time to enter the intersection.

Aw geez..."HEY! Watch ou...!"

OK whew he stopped. Now we all get to go. Thanks braveheart for sticking your tire out there... yeah we coulda waited for the guy to get through since it was his right of way but oh well.

Me: "You know, when you do that you just add to the chaos of the intersection and increase the danger for everyone. It's OK to wait your turn."

Gal: "Thank you for your commentary. Shut the F_ck up!"

Me: "Yeah well there's no written rules of ettiquete so I just thought I would tell them to you."

Gal: (P.O.'d big time - something plaintive and angry yet indisdinct since I'm now a block away).

Me: (Hollering) I will listen to you when you can keep up with me!

Sigh... feel like a total dork now. Maybe I need a muzzle. I have been barking like a dog lately.

Later... come up on 2 riders stopped at a similar stop sign. They're lined up. 2nd rider looks back - I head nod.

2: "Hey man, go for it you're brave enough!"
Me: "Naw I'm good bro. You guys know just as well as I do when it's clear."

We get through just fine. I ride up on #2: "I just yelled at another rider for cutting up like that so... you know... I gotta ride the ride."

2: (Bemused) "Hey sounds good man."

djasonpenney
08-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Be careful, they might pick their bicycle up and start hitting you (http://bikeportland.org/2008/07/10/road-rage-incident-sparks-media-frenzy-spurs-us-them-mentality/) with it. :mad:

<snip>
Sigh... feel like a total dork now. Maybe I need a muzzle. I have been barking like a dog lately.
<snip>

K'Tesh
08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Today, as I was on my commute into work, I flatted on Hwy 217. This was between the Onram from SW Allan (SB) and SW Denny Rd. I couldn't have been any further from a bus stop. Since I've flatted the rear twice now, and the front once, I was in no mood to swap out the tube on the shoulder of the Hwy, so I headed for home, and my puncture resistant tires that I was hoping not to need for some time.

As I walked my bike to SW Hall to catch a bus, one nice rider, headed EB, stopped and asked me if I needed any help... I thanked her, and said no, she went on her way, I on mine. Two other riders passed me soon after, but as I was on the phone (calling into work), I didn't hear if they offered any assistance.

Anyway, got the tube patched, the new tires on the bike, and an opportunity to take more pics of the drain that caught Mrs. OldCog's wheel. I was more than a little late to work.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

vincentpaul
08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Had my first flat in quite a while yesterday. Luckily, it occurred just as I was passing a large new water feature/fountain/waterfall on Barrows Rd. The water feature made it easy to find the leak. One observation during the repair. I had the bike upside down (rear flat) and was working on the tire, having some difficulty getting the bead over the rim. I then took the time to patch the tube rather than just put a new tube in (nice day, handy water source). Ended up spending a lazy 20 minutes on the whole routine. While working on it I had 3 different "casual" cyclists on hybrids that STOPPED and asked if I needed anything, several pedestrians walked by and did the same. In that same time I counted at least 8 road bikes go by (4 alone, two with a companion). Not a single one stopped, slowed down, or even asked if help was needed. Thought that was odd. Guess the roadies were feeling a bit introverted yesterday.

K'Tesh
08-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Had my first flat in quite a while yesterday.

Quite a while? When I met you (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showpost.php?p=13691&postcount=210) you had a flat (8/5)... ;)

Glad you were able to patch this one up.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

vincentpaul
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Quite a while? When I met you (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showpost.php?p=13691&postcount=210) you had a flat (8/5)... ;)

Glad you were able to patch this one up.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Nope, those were broken spokes. The tires were doing just fine that day. This was a broken inner tube. There's a difference. ; )

K'Tesh
08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
I understand today was the 1st Last Thursday w/o cars permitted... Like a LOT of people, I decided to go... Rode Henry, so I was a bit incognito...

Had a LOT of fun!

Ran into Let's Bike! She didn't have her well lit bike tonight, then again neither did I.

Got to watch the sprockettes do their thing... but as I've posted elsewhere, my camera is acting up, so not a whole lot of pictures to share.

Ran into one of the people who read but don't post here (Linda... Thanks for guiding me to Alberta... I hope your friend, Steve (http://bikeportland.org/2008/08/15/a-look-at-enforcement-policies-in-dramatic-stark-st-collision/), heals fully, and quickly). Also spotted Jonathan and family, A.O. (and Salem), Daniel, Timo... Met Neil (not a reader... yet) and his bike #6... WOW! That yellow bike had heads turning everywhere...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2810530909_1cd5e97b34.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157607033777339/)

Again, it was a fun time with lots of friends around... I'll be back... Perhaps I might have to check out the 1st Thursday.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Attornatus_Oregonensis
08-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Me and my crew had a great time last night, especially my pup who was treated to the second half of my friend's delicious pork chop (which he didn't want). Lots of cool freakbikes.

And the coffee and pastry was delicious this morning on the Hawthorne. Thanks, shifties!

poser
08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Incredible! So many people - why on earth do we not shut that street down every thursday during the summer?! At least once a month. I'm sure the shop owners wouldn't complain. (maybe the residents would...)

Brought my wife to see the Sprokettes for the first time. She loved it, had stars in in her eyes. What a great night. Glad so many others got to experience it too.

--

biciclero
08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I witnessed three bad moves today on my way in--one by a motorist and two by cyclists.

Bad Move #1: The unsignaled right turn across the bike lane. This was one of those where the light was red, the first vehicle stopped at the light was a Trimet bus and the vehicle behind the bus was an SUV with its tires on the bike lane line. I've adopted a policy lately of just never coming to a stop to the right of a bus, so I didn't want to pull all the way to the front of the line. My spider sense told me that the SUV driver was up to no good, so I stopped behind him/her too. Sure enough, as we get to the corner, SUV driver turns right in front of me with no signal at all. Thank you, spider sense. I gave the driver a "hats off to you, sir!" kind of salute, which I don't think they saw. As an aside, I believe I have noticed that some drivers who are stopped (or creeping) and signaling for a right turn will turn their signals off when they see me coming from behind in the bike lane. It is almost as though they are trying to give me a "go ahead and pass" indication, but to me it just seems retarded. Just keep the signal on and I'll decide whether I can "pass safely".

Bad Move #2: Blatant stop sign blowing. As I approached a 4-way, I saw a cyclist approaching the same 4-way from my left. I thought, "this will be interesting" (two cyclists simultaneously approaching an intersection almost never happens on my way to work. It's Beaverton.). But as I was slowing down and signaling for the left turn I wanted to make, I noticed the other guy wasn't slowing down at all. Then I noticed that he pedaled right through without even looking my way. If I would have taken his same approach to stopping, we would have run into each other. I guess my loss of momentum is his gain.

Bad Move #3: The cyclist right turn on red without looking for other bikes (or buses). I was stopped on a red at an intersection where the bike lane begins on the far side (SB Watson crossing Broadway and Farmington). I was in the lane behind a bus. The light turns green and I follow the bus through the intersection. As the bus nears the far side, a guy on a bike, coming from the right, makes a right turn into the beginning of the bike lane. I've seen buses and other cars clip the edge of that bike lane many times, so the guy was lucky the bus didn't blow him over. Anyway, since I was right behind the bus, the point at which I would normally have entered the bike lane was blocked by this guy. No big deal; I just stay in the lane a little longer, but it does tend to cheese me off when so many folks seem to depend on the kindness of strangers for their safety.

djasonpenney
08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
All three of these moves were pretty lame, but I have some comments...

#1 (clueless SUV and friends): I personally disagree with you; I feel much better passing a car on the right if I have some clue that they've seen me. Turning off one's turn signal is pretty back-handed, but I can see the logic in it.

#2 (stop sign blower): I know I tread in fine shades of gray here, but failing to to respect the right of way of other vehicles is just pain disgusting.

#3 (right turn slip lane): this is much more dangerous than most cyclists realize. The bike crash in Gresham a couple of weeks ago was due to the cyclist assuming that he had sole access to the slip lane (there was a pedestrian there). lynnef (http://bikeportland.org/forum/member.php?u=970) points out that even if it's a bike lane, there may be other cyclists coming long (like you).

I witnessed three bad moves today on my way in--one by a motorist and two by cyclists.

Bad Move #1: The unsignaled right turn across the bike lane. This was one of those where the light was red, the first vehicle stopped at the light was a Trimet bus and the vehicle behind the bus was an SUV with its tires on the bike lane line. I've adopted a policy lately of just never coming to a stop to the right of a bus, so I didn't want to pull all the way to the front of the line. My spider sense told me that the SUV driver was up to no good, so I stopped behind him/her too. Sure enough, as we get to the corner, SUV driver turns right in front of me with no signal at all. Thank you, spider sense. I gave the driver a "hats off to you, sir!" kind of salute, which I don't think they saw. As an aside, I believe I have noticed that some drivers who are stopped (or creeping) and signaling for a right turn will turn their signals off when they see me coming from behind in the bike lane. It is almost as though they are trying to give me a "go ahead and pass" indication, but to me it just seems retarded. Just keep the signal on and I'll decide whether I can "pass safely".

Bad Move #2: Blatant stop sign blowing. As I approached a 4-way, I saw a cyclist approaching the same 4-way from my left. I thought, "this will be interesting" (two cyclists simultaneously approaching an intersection almost never happens on my way to work. It's Beaverton.). But as I was slowing down and signaling for the left turn I wanted to make, I noticed the other guy wasn't slowing down at all. Then I noticed that he pedaled right through without even looking my way. If I would have taken his same approach to stopping, we would have run into each other. I guess my loss of momentum is his gain.

Bad Move #3: The cyclist right turn on red without looking for other bikes (or buses). I was stopped on a red at an intersection where the bike lane begins on the far side (SB Watson crossing Broadway and Farmington). I was in the lane behind a bus. The light turns green and I follow the bus through the intersection. As the bus nears the far side, a guy on a bike, coming from the right, makes a right turn into the beginning of the bike lane. I've seen buses and other cars clip the edge of that bike lane many times, so the guy was lucky the bus didn't blow him over. Anyway, since I was right behind the bus, the point at which I would normally have entered the bike lane was blocked by this guy. No big deal; I just stay in the lane a little longer, but it does tend to cheese me off when so many folks seem to depend on the kindness of strangers for their safety.

biciclero
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
...I personally disagree with you; I feel much better passing a car on the right if I have some clue that they've seen me. Turning off one's turn signal is pretty back-handed, but I can see the logic in it.

I guess if pure logic were applicable to traffic situations ;), then in a right-turn-signal-cancellation situation we could conclude that either a) The driver is sending a [back-handed] signal that they have seen me and therefore it is safe to pass on the right, or b) the driver has actually changed his mind and will be going straight through the intersection and therefore it is safe to pass on the right. So you are right--cancellation of a right turn signal should be an indication of decreased danger in passing on the right. The only assumption is that the driver canceled the turn signal intentionally.

K'Tesh
09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I tried to complete my 1st Century again... and failed again.

I started late, due to sleeping in... that was a big mistake that prevented me from succeding...
I tracked down a reader (Siobhan... No, not Doyle...), whom I had met yesterday and had offered a couple of strips of red retroreflective film for her bike... She doesn't post yet, but I've invited her to go ahead and join us. I didn't get any pictures of her or her LeMond.

I finally headed south on Lombard, then to the Fanno Creek trail. Left the trail at Scholls, then on to Sherwood via Roy Rogers. Took 99W, and nearly bonked, however dismounting and stretching gave me enough strength to continue on to Tigard.

In Tigard, I ran into The Bike Gallery's wrench, Rubin... We rode up the hill talking until I fell back, and he went on his way. I then met Kurt, a new rider (and hopefully new reader) who was inflating his tire having flatted earlier. He just moved to Portland, sold his car, and is trying to get by with a bike. He was on his third ride seeking a suitable route from PDX to Beaverton where he works for the FDA. We rode the rest of the way into Portland, occasionally stopping for him to reinflate his tire. I told Kurt about the forums, and all about the particulars that I could think of for someone who is starting out as a bike commuter. We found the downtown Bike Gallery was closed, so he went his way, I went mine..

I continued down to Yamhill, then off to the waterfront, starting by going upstream, then looped around under the bridge and proceeded down to the Steel Bridge, over the river, then down to the Opera, stopping to take pictures of the dinosaurs visible outside of OMSI.

I was invited to go dinner while I was riding on the Eastbank, so I proceeded back to the MAX, and Zoobombed into Beaverton on Hwy 217. After cleaning up, and going to dinner, I proceeded to try to find the mysterious portion of the Fanno Creek Trail on the East side of Hwy 217. I failed.

I opted to head home after getting my 50th mile in, and by the time I got home, I had 53 miles on the bike. My knee is giving me hell, and Aleve isn't working... Nutz...

Had I continued, I'd have headed for Interstate, across the bridge into Vancouver, over to the Glen Jackson, down 205 to the springwater... Once there I'd have headed for the end of the paving towards Boring, then back to Beaverton along the trail, and Barbur to 217 (or the Fanno Creek trail).

Still, a day on the bike is better than a day at work...
So, what did you do with your day off?
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Do it again next weekend! Or, come out with Portland Velo on Saturday: ride to the start, do the 40 miler, and then you'd have a metric century by the time you rode back to Beaverton.

I tried to complete my 1st Century again... and failed again.
<snip>

Haven_kd7yct
09-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Sigh.... some mornings, I wonder what some people are thinking.

So I'm riding to work as part of the bike commute challenge, and because I don't want to sit in traffic now that school has started up again.

I'm in the lane on Durham where it crosses Upper Boones, going straight across UB towards Bed Bath and Beyond.

This guy in a pickup truck decides I'm holding him up, so he revs his engine and zooms around me on the right (using the right-turn-only lane as a through lane), floors it up the road and turns into the very next driveway... as in, less than 100 feet from the intersection.

I give a frustrated "hey" and a wave of my arm (with all fingers extended), but he just rolls up his window and pulls into a parking space. I also yelled, "it wouldn't have killed you to wait 2 seconds for me to get past!"

I ride on, feel frustrated, thinking about all the snappy comebacks I coulda used... so I doubled back.

Pulled into his parking lot and took a couple pictures of his truck and license plate with my cell's camera, and continued riding to the office. As I was pulling out of his parking lot, he comes out of his work and goes to his truck.

I did not confront him directly. He was a big, bald white dude, obviously with some anger issues, and I'm just a chick on a bike.

I'll be posting him to the Watch List... (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1730) what a jerk.

Guess he was mad that I was able to make it through traffic easier than him. I don't know how many cycles he had to wait to get through the light turning left from Hall onto Durham, so maybe he was throwing it back in my face that I passed the line of cars (2 blocks long and counting!) and turned left without having to wait through several cycles.

Wait, does that make me a jerk, too?? I suppose I could have gone across in the crosswalk and then hopped into the lane with the rest of the cars on Durham...

K'Tesh
09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Was heading into work today, and despite my NEW puncture resistant tires, my rear caught something and flatted. The cut was only about 1/4 inch on the tire, and 1/16 wide at the puncture site, but it was enough to piss me off.

I'm really pissed because whatever got me, managed to work itself out of the the tire, so it's laying in wait to get me again... DAMN! :mad:

Haven_kd7yct
09-04-2008, 09:02 AM
No problems riding to work this morning; the line to turn left onto Durham at Hall was short enough that I got in line with everyone else, like I usually do when the line is less than 6 cars long.

Caught up to another cyclist at the Durham-Upper Boones light, also going straight... older gentleman on a yellow road bike with down-tube shifters-- classic-- wearing a jersey with the Rome Coliseum on it.

Followed him all the way up onto 72nd, and when we got to Bridgeport he was heading left towards Lake O and I was heading right back towards Durham.

Annoyance: he got in the left turn lane, where the light was red and had been red when we were approaching it, then pulled out into the intersection and turned left when all our lights went red.

Dude: seriously? Why didn't you just go straight through the intersection, then head in the direction you want to go? It would have taken the same amount of time, and it wouldn't have annoyed everyone at that intersection.

Oh well.

Luckily, I was able to get my squishy rear tire and somewhat bent rear derailleur hanger fixed yesterday, and bought a good floor pump for the office. I'm trying to encourage more of my co-workers to ride! :)

vincentpaul
09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Traveling through Tigard this a.m. I noticed an unusual amount of bike commuters out and about. Waiting for a left turn from Hall onto Durham, their were four of us stacked up. Can't remember ever having four bikes that weren't on a group ride stacked up at an intersection anywhere in Tigard before this. Also, it seemed like there were more women than men out this morning. First time I've ever noticed that as well. Nice signs of the times.

K'Tesh
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Rather than going home straight away, I headed up 99W/Barbur Blvd into Portland.

I poked around near my old nemesis the Black Locust tree on SW 4th near Grant... and some tree limbs hit the ground... don't know why... I saw nothing. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2827519834_2194e988e8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2827519834/)

Headed onto the Esplinade... and on the East side of OMSI, more tree limbs hit the ground... again I saw nothing. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2830281600_20e5ba4136.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2830281600/)

Hope you regulars out there noticed a little more headroom today...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

BTW This was my 900th post

K'Tesh
09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I'll be posting him to the Watch List... (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1730).

Please add him, so we can keep an eye peeled...

Thanks!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I was hoping to run into cyclists at the Pearl for the 1st Thursday last night... Didn't find anyone who was a forum reader, so I found my way to the free Movies At The Pearl, and promptly won the 1st trivia question about James Bond... (his favorite drink is the Vodka Martini, Shaken Not Stirred). Watched Casino Royale...

Tried to find my way to PGE park and the MAX there... got lost, nearly got sucked down a storm drain on Burnside when I turned Right from NW 16th... Found another drain by NW 17th (turned both in).

Got home late. My pics didnt' turn out well, so I'll try again during daylight.

Good Thing I didn't hurt the bike M(e) would be pissed.
K'TEsh

biciclero
09-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I quit signaling right turns. At least three times in the last couple of weeks, while on my way to and from work, I have had drivers simultaneously turn with me onto streets onto which I am signaling and turning right. This has happened with both overtaking, right-turning drivers ("hook" turns), and oncoming, left-turning drivers ("cross" turns). I signal to turn right, make eye contact (at least with oncoming left-turners), and as I approach the intersection, they turn directly into me (well, they start to turn directly into me and then swing over into the oncoming lane when they realize there is no room). Are these drivers thinking that we can each turn into our "own" lane and so it is OK? All the locations where this has happened are places where I am turning from a main road with a bike lane onto a side street that has no bike lane. I should also note that the incidents were at side street intersections where I had no stop sign and did not need to slow down to make the turn.

Granted it is not a scientific methodology, but I have not had this problem since I quit signaling right turns. It seems as though if drivers think I am going straight through, they will wait.

djasonpenney
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
For the overtaking drivers, you should consider swinging far out into the rightmost lane, especially if there isn't a bike lane. This will discourage motorists from attempting to pass you in the middle of a turn.

The left turners are a bit more problematic. I have a hard time believing that they saw you and still turned into your lane. More likely the case that--between the cell phone in one hand, the double tall skinny latte in the other, and the cigarette in the other--they appear to be looking at you, but in truth the lights are on and no one's at home.

I really would rather that you continue to signal your intentions. I accept your hypothesis that you are ensuring your lane of travel through intimidation, but I need more evidence before I believe it.

K'Tesh
09-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Today I found a box cutter... 9-11 is very much on my mind today, you see my Nephew was in the Pentagon when it was hit. He made it out unhurt.

My Cousin started teaching in New Jersey that day, her Husband was running late to work, in WTC 2 and was unhurt, but some of her students had parents that were.

So, you see I have personal reasons for my feelings about 9-11.

Take a moment today to tell someone You love, "I Love You".

God Bless
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Got yet another rear-tire flat today on the way into work-- I'm really considering staying far away from Bridgeport Village, or getting out of the bike lane on 72nd up by BV!!! That's 3 in the last three months. All my flat troubles this year, with one exception, have been from riding around BV to add a little more mileage to my morning commute.

Luckily, I purchased for the office a good floor pump at the end of August for Bike Commute Challenge-- and unluckily, I'm the only one who's needed it! :)

This time, thought, I changed it all by myself. The only really troublesome part I had was getting the rear wheel back on the bike, since I insisted on doing it all myself instead of asking one of my co-workers to hold the bike for me. Oh, and I called for my boyfriend to talk me through that part, as I tried and tried and couldn't figure it out.

How come I can get it off ok? :) Hopefully I'm not the only one with these troubles! :)

Oh, and on a positive note, there are now three riders in our office including me. Am I stoked? Yes I am! :) Yay, Suzanne and David!

djasonpenney
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Trick #1: You don't want the chain super tight or super loose. This hampers both removing and replacing the rear wheel. Go for the middle or large chainring on the front and one of the smallest gears in the back for replacement.

Trick #2: Did you remember to loosen the brakes? It's especially humorous on a mountain bike, where the wheel might come off just fine, but when the tire is subsequently inflated it won't clear the brake pads :D

Trick #3: Carry some vinyl examination gloves in your flat kit. This is especially welcome in winter months, when your rear wheel will be so dirty that just looking at it will get your hands dirty.

On an unrelated note, how many miles do you have on that rear tire? Rear tires wear a lot faster than front tires; expect around 1500 to 2000 miles of road use before you have to replace it.

When your rear tire wears out, consider moving your old front tire to the rear and putting the fresh rubber on the front. This gives you the newest (spongiest) rubber on your steering wheel and keeps the front tire from aging like a fine wine.

Never put a tire that has been used on the rear on your front; it's flattened out, which will adversely affect handling.

How come I can <not> get <my rear tire> off ok? :)

beelnite
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Downtown, whatever street that is that leads to the Hawthorne, 4th Avenue.

Ambulance coming! He's a block away. Stoplight turns green and a couple of pedestrians start across. They can move quickly, but... crud I have a whole peloton of grim faced commuters behind me!

Decision... I throw up my hand and look back. "Ambulance!" and stop the whole group.

Ambulance slows at the intersection just before ours. Well comon guy- I stopped the whole peloton... oh no... don't turn! Whew ok he's coming. I turn around:

"Sorry, we probably coulda made it."

"No sweat. That's OK."

Well there was one appreciative gent in the bunch. I just had this vision of 4-5 riders getting through and the rest following blindly. Err on the side of caution.

But it wasn't easy to decide for everyone. I felt the pressure for sure. It's a weird kind of assetiveness that takes some getting used to I guess.

Haven_kd7yct
09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey djason, thanks for the tips; I remembered about shifting to the smallest cog on the rear cassette, and disconnecting the brakes... I guess it's just the derailleurs that mess me up!

And getting the tire back on... which I guess is really my problem... oy vey, everybody. Confusing. I finally got it all squared away, but my boyfriend thinks I may have ended up adjusting the rear derailleur on accident. But, the wheel was on securely and squarely (roundly?), brakes not rubbing, and I was able to ride it home no problems except for some hinky shifting. :)

djasonpenney
09-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Perhaps you're a bit spatially challenged in the vicinity of the rear wheel? I remember when I rebuilt my Sekine I had a dickens of a time getting the chain back on. First, I reassembled the chain and then discovered how it actually goes through the rear triangle :rolleyes:

After I figured that out, it seemed like it took me half an hour to figure out how to thread everything through the rear derailleur. Some of the configurations were just humorous. Then, of course, I had to unbreak the chain while everything was in place.

Anyway, is it something like that? You have to kinda catch the bottom side of the chain with your cog, which may actually be higher than the top side be due to the derailleur kicking back. You pull the chain down into position then position the wheel in the dropouts. Tighten everything up, ABC Quick Check, and you're off.

I got really mad the first time I saw a fellow rider do that...I remember thinking in annoyance, "he didn't even have to touch the chain!"

P.S. -- You're not flipping the bike upside down onto the saddle and handlebars are you? Not only is it not necessary, it can trash your seat, bar tape, and accessories. Further, it makes removing and replacing the wheels much harder.

Hey djason, thanks for the tips; I remembered about shifting to the smallest cog on the rear cassette, and disconnecting the brakes... I guess i:)t's just the derailleurs that mess me up!

And getting the tire back on... which I guess is really my problem... oy vey, everybody. Confusing. I finally got it all squared away, but my boyfriend thinks I may have ended up adjusting the rear derailleur on accident. But, the wheel was on securely and squarely (roundly?), brakes not rubbing, and I was able to ride it home no problems except for some hinky shifting. :)

fredlf
09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Sounds like you know the tricks, so it's just a matter of practice. Do it at home five times a day for a week and you'll be doing it in your sleep.

I usually find it helps to rotate the rear der. back a little bit as you pull the axle up into the drops. Holding the der back also helps to keep things straight and stable while you're pulling the wheel up in. It also does no harm to spread the drops a little (1-2mm) while pulling the wheel in if your axle is a tight fit.

I love it when frames have the little chain-hanger peg on the RH seat-stay. Makes the roadside change so much cleaner and easier and helps to keep the chain out of the dirt.

beelnite
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Hawthorne - light traffic coming up this morning on a young gal with headphones. I hollered "On your left" at a clear point with no peds around. I thought she heard me... starts to move left. Then... OH NO!

I've got like 6 inches of leftness left on this here bike/ped ramp! My cheek is practically touching her shoulder and she finally sees me!

Me: "Yikes! Sorry... uh... I thought..."

She can't hear a word I'm saying, but she explains to me what the problem is pointing at her ear. Very helpfully:

"Oh! I have headphones on!"

Me: "Yes. You do."

Sigh....

djasonpenney
09-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Me: southbound on SW 158th Avenue past Walker near dusk. You: bicyclist southbound in the bike lane. As I approach Old Baseline Road in the right-turn-only lane, I slow down because I...don't trust bicyclists.

Sure enough, you went straight through the intersection, continuing southbound even though you were right of the right turn lane.

Why do people (cyclists and motorists) think that "share the road" means "cower in the shoulder then dart across traffic"?

Sigh.:mad:

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Why do people (cyclists and motorists) think that "share the road" means "cower in the shoulder then dart across traffic"?

Could it be because when you take the lane drivers get impatient and rev their engine and pass dangerously close to you in an attempt to use their vehicle as a weapon of intimidation?

I'm just posing a hypothesis here. I agree that was not the way to handle the situation and good defensive driving on your part, but I suspect the kind of aggression you occasionally experience when you take the lane has something to do with it.

djasonpenney
09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
You're absolutely right. The irony of it is that the majority of motorists are extremely polite and patient. The best part is when it is finally safe and I move over, the motorist seems to actually give me more room.

The most common example is like this morning westbound on Butner Road, where there is a blind hard right turn with no shoulders and no visibility about half a mile before Murray Boulevard.

As I approached the turn I saw a car approaching behind me that wasn't going to be able to get around me before I reached the turn, so I swung out and took the lane. Sure enough, just as we reached the turn, two oncoming cars flew by BIP! BIP!. And then, there was a third oncoming car less than two seconds after that.

Finally, at SW 134th the road widened, so I obeyed the "far right as practicable" rule, and the car gave me a terrific wide berth, moving almost completely over the yellow line. Thank you, motorist!

I'm trying to set the message by my actions that "Please don't pass me when it is not safe, but I'm happy to have you go by me when it is safe to do so." That is what "share the road means" IMNSHO.

<snip>
but I suspect the kind of aggression you occasionally experience when you take the lane has something to do with it.

Haven_kd7yct
09-15-2008, 09:09 AM

Time: Approx 3:30 or so.

You were the biker in yellow with black accents, I was driving my car home from the Sole Support for Parkinson's walk.

You went with traffic, with the light, across hwy 99w on 68th. I was third car back at the light on 99w, watching.

White Astro van-type thing was in front of you, and decided to turn right into the Newport Bay restaurant parking lot.

You were covering your brakes, slowing down, but still got right-hooked. Luckily, you didn't hit the van, or go down, and were able to get around behind the van, who continued on their merry way.

I saw no turn signals flashing on the van. You slowed when they did, which was lucky... but what would have been even better is if you had taken the lane behind them. You would have been clear and ok, and the car behind you was leaving space for you.

Glad you are okay!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-15-2008, 09:15 AM
You're absolutely right. The irony of it is that the majority of motorists are extremely polite and patient.

Right. And the irony of that is that it only takes one person doing that sort of thing to scare most people away from ever taking the lane again, or perhaps ever riding in traffic again. And that's exactly what those few people are trying to do.

I'm trying to set the message by my actions that "Please don't pass me when it is not safe, but I'm happy to have you go by me when it is safe to do so." That is what "share the road means" IMNSHO.

Agreed. I'm trying to do the same. When to pass and when not to pass a bicyclist is really a key area for driver ed. I make a point to wave in thanks when people are patient enough to wait the extra 10 seconds behind me.

vincentpaul
09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Keep an old spoke trimmed to a extenuated "L" shape as a chain lifter in your kit. I trim them down to about 5" w/ @ .75" past on the bottom leg. Works great and helps keep the hands clean.

vincentpaul
09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Had a great commute this morning. After removing 50 lbs. from Dutch it felt like I was flying up the hill on Gaarde this morning. Averaged 17 mph from the Scholls Heights area to Tualatin, versus the 11.2 I averaged on my tour. Felt like the bike had no weight. Yeah!

poser
09-16-2008, 08:57 AM
U: Cute girl commuting down SE Clinton this morning between 39th and 21st, 1 pannier on the right, khaki pants, bike-light strapped to the top of your helmet. I just love the way you blow stop sign girl, it says to that you’re a cyclist who know how to train those motorists to hit their brakes twice (or hate cyclists – whatever – it’s still hot!)

When I saw you breeze through the stop sign at 34th and Clinton I thought, "wow, did she just…?"

Then when you blew through 26th in front of a pick-up truck and a Metro bus my eyes were as big as saucers!

I almost caught up to you before 21st, but alas, I was taking a left and you were snaking around the right of cars and blowing straight through a 4-way stop with cars stopped at 2 sides. I could see the drivers at both of the last two stops shaking their heads, in a stupor (probably mesmerized by your beauty, or chutzpah – or both!) at that moment it hit me, "She could be the one!"

You obviously love pissing people off – and I have a fetish for madly pantomiming apologies to motorists (as if to say, "really, we’re not all that bad!") I think we were made for each other… wanna do coffee sometime?

:)

--

Grant
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Great post Poser. It has inspired me to make a bad attempt at poetry..

Untitled
Wow you were fast!
a blur in the night
as you zipped on past
without a tail light.

Just inches from me
you sped right on by
I tucked in my knee
and gave a big sigh.

You seemed unaware
as you raced on ahead
I had stopped there because
THE SIGNAL WAS RED.

The car you blew past
slammed his brakes in fright
The thought in his mind?
"Share the road?"...Right!"

Thank you thank you.
(cough)

K'Tesh
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Great post Poser. It has inspired me to make a bad attempt at poetry..

I think you should cross post that to the "Bike Poetry (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1595)" thread... (not move mind you)...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
09-19-2008, 08:45 AM
After work yesterday (bout 5:45 p.m.), decided to ride. I headed up 99W where I encountered an out of work pastor on his way home from Costco... He caught my eye as he was dragging a Burly trailer w/him. We talked for a while, and he told me he was riding for home (near the Ross Island bridge, I think) with the 88Lbs of supplies he had bought in Tigard (And I thought I had legs...). Nice Guy! Good Luck Craig. Take care of Joshua (his bike).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2869886084_4db358fddb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2869886084/)

On the way into PDX I was passed by a guy on a pink Centurian, but was able to catch him on the way down into downtown. We also talked a bit, but I pulled over to take pics... The torn up asphalt by Swan Mart has been replaced...

I then poked around PDX looking for BESD (Bike Eating Storm Drains). Got my shot at the one on 13th and Couch that had been replaced. None of the ones on NW 16th were done. I then headed up burnside til I got to vista, then up Park to the Zoo.

On the way down to SW Canyon I encountered a driver who was pulled over w/flashers, so I looped around and asked her if she was ok... she was... Then on Canyon, I was joined by a bike riding Physician with a powerful lamp on his helmet... his name escapes me... We rode up to Sylvan, and he went left, I went straight... Found that two drains I complained about on SW 96th were strapped :D Rode into Beaverton arrived round 8:30 p.m

Met some nice people, took a few pics (battery in, battery out... until the thing ran out of charge). Nice night for a ride... (total 28 miles)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

lynnef
09-23-2008, 05:15 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/2881385269_a730328ea3.jpg

(No, not in Beaverton...)

Pretty though, isn't it?

If I don't get myself hit, riding on the other side of the road!

lynnef
09-23-2008, 05:18 AM
on more thing -- TriMet drivers are much politer than the public transport drivers here! I was passed with about a foot of clearance. Ack.

K'Tesh
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
As I was commuting into work today, traffic was slow due to a crash on Hwy 217 south of 99W, the crash had been cleared, but traffic had already been crushed in, and I was riding with many of the same drivers for much of the way. I was amused, I was only going an average of about 15 mph, they must have been unamused as I was keeping up with them on the freeway.

I was slightly startled by one driver who yelled something like "Yo!" and as he passed I saw him reaching over the empty passenger seat with his thumbsup.. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
I appreciated the sentiment, but I prefer a smile to a yell.

As I was passing the Greenburg exit, one woman was yelling something that sounded like "You're Illegal, You're Illegal"... I was thinking "You're Ignorant, Read the Laws...". I did not waive at her. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

I did appreciate the cool temps, but my bare arms and legs were a little pink when I finally stopped.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
09-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I was riding into work today and I had one driver fail to yield to me when I was at the 4 way stop at Freddies, I was turning left, and I could see that he was oblivious to me, so I was ready for him when he made his sudden right hand turn. He wasn't worth the confrontation, and I could see him in the rear view mirror through his window, and he seemed a bit shocked as he tried to figure out where in the HELL I had come from as I was on his A** immediatly. I didn't think it was worth a confrontation, so I kept on going

I got onto Hwy 217 and traffic was so backed up, I was passing cars from the Canyon SB onramp all the way to Denny Rd. Things were fairly normal otherwise. I did manage to find a wrench with a hinged ratcheting box end in good shape.

On the last leg (past Greenburg) where the shoulder gets really narrow one driver honked, but I don't know if it about me, or the driver in front of them, as they honked again well past me. I was able to catch up to both vehicles, and neither had rolled down their window or looked like they had any interest in me at all.... Sheesh... I hate that...

Other than that it was a good ride on Mk VII, but boy does that 45lb bike move a lot slower than Henry. Henry has broken a spoke, so it needs to go into the shop. I'm getting a new, stronger, wheel built w/more spokes to handle my needs, just waiting for the parts to come in, so it can be done.

Forecast for this evening is rain... so stay dry...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
09-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Now that the fog of the commute has burned off my brain, I'm able to report that my Mom really enjoyed our little ride last night.

We met at my work after I had got off, and rode the Fanno Creek Trail into Beaverton on one of my commute routes. We stopped at Performance where she got a headlight (a little AA powered NR light) and a Pearl Izume jacket, as well as her bike's first adjustment. On the way back I took her on a more direct commute route (not Hwy 217) back to her car. It was on 5th and alger(?) that I broke my spoke (the 4th on Henry's rear wheel... all inside facing drivetrain side rear spokes). I'd already ordered the parts for a more durable wheel, but it's only just on it's way. She drove me home, and after some food and TV, it was lights out. Trip distance 14.6 miles... not a record, but still fun.

After Mom got home, she called and said that she had a good time, and I was surpised to see she wasn't freaked out by riding at night. It probably helps that I was using over $300.00 in lights on the bike to help clear the way for us.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

flying_dutchman
09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Bicycle traffic was so heavy this morning that it took two light cycles for me to get through the traffic light at the Hawthorn bridge and Grand.

I never thought I would be happy about heavy traffic, but I am.

vincentpaul
09-24-2008, 02:40 PM
OK, all summer long my kids' radios have been blaring this summer's defiance of conformity song w/ lyrics that go something like "I kissed a girl, and I liked it..." (sung by a girl). Thought of it on my bike ride home yesterday. I'd woken up late and the bike and I were ferried to work by my lovely wife. When it came time to go home I realized that I'd forgotten my helmet and riding gloves. So, did the ten miles home w/, GASP, NO HELMET! ACCKKKK! About a block away from work I realized how conditioned to the MUST WEAR HELMET regime I'd become. I was literally holding on to the handlebars like my life could end any moment. Had to remind my self that I'd spent the first 20 odd years of my life riding without a helmet and calmed down. Here's the hitch. By the end of the ride......I liked it! Started humming "I've got no helmet, and I like it....." So, is there some type of pennance that I have to perform for having enjoyed a long ride without a helmet?

K'Tesh
09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
So, is there some type of pennance that I have to perform for having enjoyed a long ride without a helmet?

Yes, but like the worst of all punishments, you know what you have to do... (donate a helmet to the CCC's Holiday Bike Drive (http://www.communitycyclingcenter.org/index.php/events/holiday-bike-drive/)).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, since we know that everyone will judge you and your actions as representative of everyone who rides a bike and since your actions were so eggregiously irresponsible and such a terrible example for the children, you should be forced to wear a scarlet "N," for "No Helmet"...on your helmet!

djasonpenney
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Although a helmet reduces a certain type of fatal head injury by 85%, note that accidents and injuries in Amsterdam occur at 3% of the rate in the US and UK.

My point is that if you were in Amsterdam, maybe that would be ok, but as long as motorists are hell-bent on killing anything in their way, I think you should put the lid back on.

--jason "I wear a Styrofoam hat so you can drive like an idiot" p.

So, is there some type of pennance that I have to perform for having enjoyed a long ride without a helmet?

vincentpaul
09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah, in contrast to the Dutch experience, I've got a lurking feeling that in the US familiarity will only breed contempt...the big hat was back on for this morning's ride...

beelnite
09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Yesterday, 4:45 p.m. rush hour downtown heading up to and over Hawthorne:

Mr. Bald, Ipod, no helmet, sweet road bike, khaki shorts wearing, clip shoes guy decides he needs to pass EVERYONE and EVERYTHING on the Right.

Like some gal a few weeks ago... at that crazy bus, turn, last intersection before heading up to the bridge... I slow for a Parking Attendant in one of those little 3 wheel cars. She's wide-eyed cuz she was coming over across the bike lane (legally) and some dude just buzzed her nearly killing himself.

So I'm gonna help. I wave her in, she waves back and...

ZZZZZiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg.... screeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Aforementioned daredevil was attempting a whip around me on the right. Cuz you all know how stupid and lame I am. I can't possibly be making a judgement call for safety or courtesy. I'm just some dumb commuter going to slow.

He had to lock them up or get squashed by Parking Lady.

"Nice work." I say as I pass him. Hit it. Up the bridge.

Nothing behind me. Well OK. I need to give these peds some room. Half-way across. Ah. I feel someone coming on, ok, let's move right and let them by...

OH CRAP!!! Swerve. Baldy: "On your right." He whispers in my ear.

Me: "Really. Hey man pass left, OK. Always pass left, please? It's safer for all of us."

No response, no acknowledgement. He rides on and I think... I think I snap cuz I don't care if I'm on a Mt. Bike I can take this fool. Charge up, tuck in behind him.

Me: "ON YOUR WHEEL! PASSING RIGHT!!!"

He looks back.

Me: "There's room right? Can I pass right? Comon smart guy."

No response, but he stands on them and hits it. Nice. Catch back up to him.

Me: "On your RIGHT!!!"

Same response... then unbelievable... he passes two more cyclists - IN THE BIKE LANE- on the RIGHT. I of course go left. Tuck back in behind him. He's cruising - we're going about 27 mph on the old bike computer.

"Hey man, can you go any faster if you won't let me by?"

No response. OK fine. I've harassed enough. I'm starting to feel like a bigger jerk than I think he is. But parting words are in order.

"Dude, comon! I smoke and I'm on a MTN Bike. What's your excuse?"

Turned on 7th. Hope you all are OK with me being completely honest and open about my immature behaviour. I apologize to you for that reaction.

To the bald guy: I challenge you. Downtown to the top of Mt. Tabor. I'll ride my MTB - you ride your sweet roadie. Obey all traffic laws. If I win I get your bike. If you win... we'll think of something.

K'Tesh
09-24-2008, 04:46 PM
To the bald guy: I challenge you. Downtown to the top of Mt. Tabor. I'll ride my MTB - you ride your sweet roadie. Obey all traffic laws. If I win I get your bike. If you win... we'll think of something.

It wasn't me...

Are you really a Vulcan, or Klingon in disguise?

Qapla!
K'Tesh

beelnite
09-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I probably have some Romulan blood!

Definite warlike tendencies. Offends easily... rides to the death... hmm...

There may be some Klingon in the family tree!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I slow for a Parking Attendant in one of those little 3 wheel cars. She's wide-eyed cuz she was coming over across the bike lane (legally) and some dude just buzzed her nearly killing himself.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but motor vehicles have to yield to cyclists in bike lanes, so if she was coming across the bike lane when someone was riding in it, she was doing it illegally.

Dude, is all that highly technical air quality work getting to you? Don't hunt me down and kill me for asking, but by the "Obey all traffic laws," are you implying there that the bald guy's passing on the right was illegal? My understanding is that the law is poorly written and it says you can pass on the right if it's safe to do so. Now, that's totally different than a poor choice and safer for us to always pass on the left - no disagreement there.

This morning, I was following a guy into downtown just after we got off the bridge. We were on the right, passing cars in the right lane - because it was safe to do so and it's wide enough for a bike lane even though there isn't one. But, at one point, he decides he wants to wait in the right lane behind the cars. Fine. Plenty of reasons for that. So as he veers left (without looking) and pulls up behind a car, I keep going on the right. Suddenly, he decides he wants to keep going too and almost hits me coming back into the bike stream of traffic - because again he wasn't looking as he changed positions. Now, technically I guess I passed him on the right, but I don't think it was unsafe. Got any (rational) thoughts on that?

djasonpenney
09-24-2008, 06:59 PM
are you implying there that the bald guy's passing on the right was illegal?

No, I'd say it's more like blowing your nose on the floor of your neighbor's house. Incredibly tacky, but not really illegal. Tacky enough that you won't get invited over again :D

I guess it shows that some people just park their brains when they get on the street, regardless of what kind of vehicle they're using.

Sunday afternoon, westbound on Cornelius-Schefflin Road (yes, just about half a mile past Long Road, where Tim O'Donnel was killed last year), around 12:30: I'm approaching a narrow two lane bridge and I see a car approaching towards me as a silver pickup truck closes behind me.

I take the lane since it's not safe to pass. I hear him gun his engine. I wave my hand frantically (with the Scotch-lite reflective glo-gloves on). He passes anyway and forces the oncoming sedan completely off the road! I had enough time to yell "Hey!" with a strong diaphragm-supporetd sound.

The poor oncoming driver, the motorist behind me, and I all shared a "sheesh" moment and then continued on. Of course I didn't get the license plate or this would be in the "close encounters" thread.

My point is that your bald-headed friend is just the cyclist equivalent of this horse-exhaust motorist. "I'm in a hurry and I don't give a d--- if I endanger other people."

I'll shut up now.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd say it's more like blowing your nose on the floor of your neighbor's house.

Good analogy.

vincentpaul
09-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Well, a Klingon would pull up next to the guy and say something like, "Race me, or I will personally cut your tongue out, Yintagh!" :D

djasonpenney
09-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Say it in Klingon for real!

Well, a Klingon would pull up next to the guy and say something like, "Race me, or I will personally cut your tongue out, Yintagh!" :D

beelnite
09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Ah, yes, once again, like most works of art, the "supernarrative" needs clarification.

No, not implying illegal - just rude, and yes dangerous considering the first time he ran right into a situation another vehicle and I had created.

The Parking Lady was yeilding and didn't see the cyclist in front of me as he was flying in order to beat the bus that also wanted to turn... you know if you can beat the "yeild" sign... I just recognized her plight and wanted to improve the situation by waving her in and giving up my legal right of way. To me that was the safest move... UNLESS someone chooses to enter the RT Turn lane to pass me in that situation.

(You needed to be there - it really was the "right" thing to do given the traffic and circumstances. We had a disaster waiting to happen with the bus, other cars, other cyclists... you know? Judgement call.)

The second time - I was moving right to yeild the lane of travel... and nearly touched shoulders with this dude. Complicating things is the fact that he was squeezing between me and two pedestrians. Not cool for anyone.

The "obey all traffic laws" is placed in order to protect my legal, law abiding reputation... I'm not publicly calling for an illegal contest of speed! More like a road rally, with checkpoints... maybe we could gauge our caloric burn or something...

My antics were designed to send a message: yeah, you are legal, but if someone wants to pass you on the right, how does it feel? How does it feel to be navigating traffic and have an annoying, gnat like cyclist behind you desperate to pass you by any means necessary? Kinda sucks...

Yeah the Air Quality is getting to me... too much benzene. OK... gotta log off... back to work!!! You're all counting on me to monitor the air quality... it's good today, by the way.

Darren
09-25-2008, 09:20 AM
I owe a fellow cyclist an apology. I helped escalate a stupid incident and I'm sorry.

This happened Tuesday October 16th. I was headed north on 28th Avenue between Sandy and Wasco near the back entrance to the Fred Meyer. Wasco is closed to vehicle traffic at 28th and cyclists negotiate through bollards to head west.

I was on 28th headed north getting in position to come out of the bike lane and into the vehicle lane. I was startled to find another rider passing me and I shouted my displeasure that I wasn't warned he was behind me. I shouted because he was wearing earphones.

His response was, "Are you such a f***ing elitist you want me to tell you when I'm coming around?" Well, yes was my response and I used a few choice words myself. Things went south real fast after that.

What my fellow cyclist didn't realize was that I was still trying to turn left, so when I got out of the bike lane and into the vehicle lane with him I think he saw my actions as aggressive, particularly when I got in his blind spot. He continued to pepper me with worldly advice, getting out of the saddle and turning around to face me. I could have shut up but I had similar verbal abuse for him. When I got in line to thread through the bollards I told him "Hey I need to turn, A**hole!" and I transitioned onto Wasco. He said, "Hey this isn't over" and intentionally looped back to follow me.

I was kind of scarred now as well as pissed. Was he going to follow me home? He came up close to me on my right and elbowed me so I leaned into him and pointed him to a parked truck. He braked hard and came around me and leaned me into the curb. At this point I stopped my bike and yelled at him "I'm trying to get home so I can take my daughter to a doctor's appointment. I don't have time for this S**t!" All true, I might add.

He looked at me, told me I was "f**ked up" and left. I was shaking but ready to go ballistic.

It wasn't until after I got my daughter home from the doctor, after I'd let out that big sigh of relief that her illness wasn't serious, and after I tried to explain what happened that I really realized what I jerk I had been.

And here's the rub, the guy, the fellow cyclist, looked like someone I'd usually have a lot in common with, someone I'd chat with in line at a cyclocross registration. Some one I might see on a long ride and join for a few miles. I wasn't chastising a meth addict or a homeless guy on a bike. By the look of his bike and kit, he would have just as easily been considered an "elitist" racer, frame builder, bike mechanic, etc. Weird.

Anyway, I apologize to who ever you are. Sorry to wreck your day.

K'Tesh
09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Say it in Klingon for real!

That dishonorable PataQ would not get words, a Klingon would, upon witnessing such behaviour, shove whatever weapon was at hand into his front spokes at speed. (kidding ;) )

Long Live the Klingon Empire!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I admire you for acknowledging your part in this. It's an object lesson for us all that it's not the case of "two wheels good, four wheels bad." There are bad people out on the road in any type of conveyance.

What can I say? If we don't speak up when we see incorrect and antisocial behavior, we are contributing to the decay of society. I, too, am one of those dorks who eschews earphones, calls out or rings a bell when passing, and gives other cyclists a smile or a friendly wave. And yes, I occasionally speak up when I see a cyclist doing stupid or dangerous things.

So, what could you have done differently? Perhaps a simple disgusted "just forget it" when he started his tirade might have been a better response. But that's 20/20 hindsight after the emotions have cooled.

I owe a fellow cyclist an apology. I helped escalate a stupid incident and I'm sorry.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Jason, just FYI, if you want to indicate something is a law, you should not post it in bill form, which is by definition not a law. You should post the citation to the code. And, in your citation of the bill, you forgot perhaps the most important part:

"This paragraph does not apply to a driver operating a motor vehicle: ... (B) At a speed not greater than 35 miles per hour..."

I want this exemption taken out.

djasonpenney
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I agree, but I could only find the law in the 2007 measures. What is the process by which the chapter and verse in the ORS is assigned? Do you have a reference to the completed text? Thanks.

And I intentionally omitted the 35 mph part, in the hope that people might forget about that part :mad:

Jason, just FYI, if you want to indicate something is a law, you should not post it in bill form, which is by definition not a law. You should post the citation to the code. And, in your citation of the bill, you forgot perhaps the most important part:

"This paragraph does not apply to a driver operating a motor vehicle: ... (B) At a speed not greater than 35 miles per hour..."

I want this exemption taken out.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree, but I could only find the law in the 2007 measures. What is the process by which the chapter and verse in the ORS is assigned? Do you have a reference to the completed text? Thanks.

And I intentionally omitted the 35 mph part, in the hope that people might forget about that part :mad:

ORS 811.065. The codification of enacted bills is done, I think, by the legislative counsel's office. It's not something I've researched, but there are a set of rules and procedures that are probably far too detailed and irrelevant to recount here. Check out the note under that section:

"Note: 811.065 was added to and made a part of the Oregon Vehicle Code by legislative action but was not added to ORS chapter 811 or any series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation."

Huh? I haven't read the explanation. But you can see the text at:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/811.html

And the preface is here:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/

More importantly, help me get the 35 mph restriction omitted so that it applies on the streets of PDX!

vincentpaul
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
It might help the lay person on the board to understand that what's at question here is only the correct manner in which the laws in question are cited, not whether they have the effect of law. The codification process is separate from the enactment process. Editorial decisions are often made by the legislative counsel's office that, for instance, place a certain law at a certain place in the codified laws. Whether a particular law is placed at a particular place in the code by legislative action or through editorial action can have an important effect. This is because laws are often explicitly placed in the code by the leglislature itself, and other laws are self-referential to the section or chapter in which they are codified. It can make a big difference in interpreting a law, and so while a "session law" may be editorially placed in a chapter, references by other laws in the code to "this chapter" might not apply to the session law placed into that section.

We lawyer types can also get all hyper technical on the precise manner in which the law is cited. For instance, we can cite in the narrative form as in ""text", Oregon Laws 2008, chapter 2, sections 45 to 47 (Special Session); or we can use a short hand citation such as "Or Laws 1989, ch. 790, § 87."

beelnite
09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Anyway, I apologize to who ever you are. Sorry to wreck your day.

Darren - you rock. I forgive you - even though it wasn't me!

I felt a lot better posting on this forum (thank you all) about my "not-so-shining moment." We're human beings regardless of our occupation or daily pursuits.

The Daily Commute Thread is probably the best thing ever invented.

Related issue: OK so passing on the right on a bicycle isn't specifically codified into law... but it is for a motor vehicle. Interesting. However, we're supposed to obey traffic laws as if we were motor vehicles when on the roadway... ah. This is another thread!

K'Tesh
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM

I'll second the motion...

I can't tell you how green with envy that I didn't think of it before Schrauf did... This is one cool thread!

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
09-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Between riding into Portland on Friday, then to Mom's for a family BBQ, and back on Saturday, then one guided ride w/Mom up from Beaverton to Silvan Hill and back, followed by meeting up with a friend for a ride on Silvan hill for another ride on Sunday, I pulled a 90 mile weekend this weekend...

Monday to Monday was 145 miles...

Year-to-date is 3609.1 miles

Now If I could only get my appetite in check...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

lovetobikedaily
09-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Your the MAN!!! Isn't it nice to go back to work so you can rest.:)
By the way nice job on the 3609.1 YTD miles, keep it going.....

droppedagain
10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
... We're human beings regardless of our occupation or daily pursuits.

Agreed. New poster, here, but I have to say that it is refreshing to see that some people understand that sometimes cyclists are their own worst enemies.

I commute on my bike to work when my schedule allows (a 25-mile round trip), and have experienced bad behavior from motorists, but also as a motorist, bad behavior from cyclists. Yesterday, I witnessed a cyclist yell at a motorist for getting "too close" to her going through Ladd's Addition. The driver had allowed as much room as was feasible, given that the cyclist insisted on riding two abreast with a friend through one of the small traffic circles (and no, no one was hit - not even close). The resulting conversation chastising the driver because she was a "Californian" was about the dumbest thing I had ever heard (the car had a sticker on it from a college in CA, but Oregon plates).

Really, folks. It's fine to be incensed when drivers do dumb things, but we need to take responsibility, too. Good to hear that many do just that.

djasonpenney
10-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Isn't this really a case of two cases of bad behavior? The fact that the cyclists were blocking the road was not an excuse for the motorist to act dangerously.

This is a sensitive subject for me because I just had a conversation on Monday with a resident of southeast Portland who asked me to teach bicyclists to pick better routes, because "riding on Division is dangerous."

At the time I agreed with her, because there are indeed some good alternative east-west boulevards through that part of Portland.

But...as I thought about it for a day...wait a minute...was it the bicyclists who were being dangerous? No, it's the motorists who seem compelled to perform dangerous acts.

Please, please keep the distinction clear. Just because you're impatient and want to drive faster is never an acceptable excuse to place the lives or property of others at risk.

<snip>
Yesterday, I witnessed a cyclist yell at a motorist for getting "too close" to her going through Ladd's Addition. The driver had allowed as much room as was feasible, given that the cyclist insisted on riding two abreast with a friend through one of the small traffic circles
<snip>

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Way to tell it like it is, Jason.

droppedagain
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Agreed, although I don't believe that the driver was being dangerous. It was a case of "you're driving a car so you must be an a$$hole so I am going to yell at you and tell you so and make assumptions about where you are from and disparage that, too".

As for Division Street - the problem isn't the cars so much as the lack of bike lanes. I don't choose to ride on Division. Why be stupid? There are alternate routes that are MUCH safer.

beelnite
10-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Um... so...

WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!

Big smiles from those that were crossing the Hawthorne today.

The herd has been culled.

K'Tesh
10-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Um... so...

WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!

I'm here...

Rode into work with my new bike bucket this morning on Henry...

Henry just added another zero... (he now has 3 zeros, on the odometer)

djasonpenney
10-02-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm not trying to pick on you, droppedagain, and I know I'm sounding a bit contrary, but...

Are you saying that it's stupid to ride on Division? Please. I agree that intelligent cyclists would choose another route, but a) they have a right to ride on division, and b) one can ride safely on Division, though it will annoy motorists if they do so.

The stupid thing would be to ride on Division but fail to control your lane, so that motorists attempt dangerous stunts in your vicinity.

--jason "Beaverton motorists drive faster and are commensurately more dangerous on Cornell Road" p.

As for Division Street - the problem isn't the cars so much as the lack of bike lanes. I don't choose to ride on Division. Why be stupid? There are alternate routes that are MUCH safer.

biciclero
10-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Tried to savor the ride home yesterday as probably the last "nice" ride home of the year (I'll be out of town and unable to ride for the next three weeks). Took a somewhat longer, less trafficked route home and did enjoy it.

This morning on my way in, as I was passing the "mini-wetlands" in front of the Home Depot on Science Park (in Beaverton), a small flock of ducks came flapping out of the reeds and one male duck cruised along just above me to my right for a few seconds--close enough it felt like I could have reached up and grabbed his little orange, webbed foot. That doesn't happen very often when you're driving to work... It can be fun traveling at the speed of duck.

Bent Bloke
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I rode in today. Only got rained on the last 15 minutes or so (after getting out from under the tree canopy on Ladd). I don't mind rain, but I hate wind. No wind this morning, so no problemo.

I'm working from home tomorrow, so I'll miss riding in the first storm of the year. ;)

djasonpenney
10-02-2008, 10:03 AM
BZZZZ!

Alarm went off at 4:45 this morning. Man, I actually feel rested. I dress for rain, open the garage door, and...hmmm. No rain. Hokay.

Fired up my 1000 lumens of light (Man, that Trinewt is great!). Sweet gentle silence riding by the creek and the lake.

The traffic signal at Cedar Hills and Butner did not want to change for me today. Why does this only happen in the cold weather?

Some people may regret the onset of fall, but for those of us who are outside every day, there's something to enjoy in the weather every day.

brock
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
sigh, time for fenders again. of course, i timed everything for the heaviest rain this morning, sweet :)

lazlo
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't mind the rain, it's the road grit and grime that bugs me. Just put my fenders back on last night. Got to get used to those increased stopping distances!

djasonpenney
10-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I confess, I don't wash my bike as often as I probably should.

I especially enjoy the summer months because the buildup of dust and grime is pretty minimal.

This morning pulling out of the bagel joint a light mist had started. As I rolled (downhill) to the traffic light at the west end of Peterkort Square OHMYGODIMGONNADIE! Fortunately, I'm a pretty conservative rider...but those wheels, with their fine patina of oil and water, simply don't want to grip.

Guess I've gotta clean the bike tonight :D

I don't mind the rain, it's the road grit and grime that bugs me. Just put my fenders back on last night. Got to get used to those increased stopping distances!

biciclero
10-02-2008, 12:49 PM
...but those wheels, with their fine patina of oil and water, simply don't want to grip.

Guess I've gotta clean the bike tonight :D

I hardly ever clean my whole bike, but every week/few days I will pick up each wheel, give it a spin, and use a rag as a brake to wipe down the rims (one side at a time). Sometimes I will even grab a paper towel from the office restroom after work and use it on the front rim while riding a circle or two around the parking lot. Gets a lot of the "patina" off and prolongs the life of both pads and rims.

K'Tesh
10-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I remember that one of you read the forums...

I just wanted to say thanks for all the options on getting home last night w/o major hills. I just wanted to say... I made it.

Thanks
K'Tesh

vincentpaul
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Fired up my 1000 lumens of light (Man, that Trinewt is great!).

What are you running in addition to the Trinewt to get 1000 lumens? Or are your running two of them? Niterider rates them at 486 lumens. http://www.niterider.com/light_comparisonchart.shtml

vincentpaul
10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Where did all those UNfamiliar faces go?

This morning I only saw the couple of cyclists that I recognized as regular commuters last winter. The second season returns. Funny, but it kinda gave me a comfortable feeling.

beelnite
10-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Nothing quite like the splash of the tires
That sound the baldies make when your cruising at speed
And you look down to see that inverse rooster tail
Streaming from your front tire
Fenders are the 8th wonder of the world
Watch out! Puddle...
Buckets of water on my shoes.

groundshero
10-04-2008, 05:46 AM
This past week I hit 10,000 miles of bike commuting. That's spread out over 2 1/2 years.
It's just an arbitrary round number. But it's my arbitrary round number, and I like it.
I thought someone here would appreciate it, too.

K'Tesh
10-04-2008, 09:33 AM
This past week I hit 10,000 miles of bike commuting. That's spread out over 2 1/2 years.
My son says it's just an arbitrary round number. But it's my arbitrary round number, and I like it.
I thought someone here would appreciate it, too.

I sure appreciate that! I'm sure the planet appreciates all the CO2 you didn't release into the atmosphere too...

Made me go back and check my records...

Since March 1, 2005 I've put 15723.9 miles on my bikes (as of 10/14/08 ). Now If I could only lose the extra weight.

Keep up the Great Work!
K'Tesh

vincentpaul
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Timed my commute just right for a downpour as I crested Bull Mountain. Ah, the brisk feel of a heavy rain on a fast downhill! Ok, its actually the painful feeling of a heavy rain on a fast downhill. Still, every ride with the rubber down is a good ride.

K'Tesh
10-13-2008, 09:29 AM
while I was fighting what I thought was a cold (now I think it's fall allergies), I did some housecleaning 'round the apartment, and knocked my computer offline...

Just got it back online again last night... looks like I didn't miss much, except for some beautiful riding weather http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Sniffle, cough and wheeze...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I rode from Tigard (work) to the Bike Commute Challenge wrap party on 10/8, and noticed that those annoying rose bushes that were pushing us out into the traffic on Barbur had been pruned back... don't have an exact address.

Thanks to whoever got out there and did what was needed to be done.

Thanks!
K'Tesh

vincentpaul
10-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Had an interesting encounter this morning. I was zooming past Scholls Heights Elementary at about 6:30 and passed a group (3-4) coyotes in the roadway. They seemed as surprised as I was. They were maybe 5 feet away as I passed. Looked healthy.

lovetobikedaily
10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
VincentPaul,
That is one of the reasons a bike is so much fun. You get to witness all the little animals and they don't hear you (or care) when you come by to take a look. Very cool sighting in the AM:)

K'Tesh
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
It was cool, not painfully cold.

Traffic was bumper to bumper on Hwy 217, and I was able to fly past all of it on my bike. When it's like that I pick a few distinctive vehicles and I watch for them to pass me. Today it was a truck carrying green plastic sewer pipes.

I passed it around milepost 2 (approaching the SB Allen offramp) and it didn't catch up with me again until I was approaching the Scholls overpass.

The sky had some great colors (no pictures... pity) and the geese overhead was drowned out by the sound of traffic. But the images were enough to inspire me to write some poetry. So, I wrote a poem (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showpost.php?p=15960&postcount=32) about what I'd rather have been experiencing.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
10-14-2008, 11:34 AM
This is a fun video (http://www.vimeo.com/1918279). I didn't enjoy it as much when he started running red lights. I counted nine. Is that enough to get your license suspended in Oregon?

Other than that, it's a beautiful day and a beautiful ride in the city I was born in.

lovetobikedaily
10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
WOW!!! The moon this morning was SO BIG. What a treat to be riding by the river (Kellogg Park area in Milwaukie) as the reflection of the moon was casting down on the water. You could look across and see the hills around Lake Oswego as if it was day time. I made a quick stop to enjoy the moment.

:rolleyes: We sure do live in a beautiful part of the world.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Has anyone else noticed that we tend to get clear or less cloudy nights during the rainy season around the time of the full moon?

K'Tesh
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Has anyone else noticed that we tend to get clear or less cloudy nights during the rainy season around the time of the full moon?

Was pretty cloudy the last night I looked up (was that Sunday or Monday)... But I don't know if I'd call this "the rainy season". I was hoping to see the moon, as I've been watching it get fuller.

vincentpaul
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I left a little early this morning on my commute this morning so that I could slow down and enjoy riding through the wildlife refuge between Cook Park and Tualatin Park. Nice to see my old migratory friends again.

lynnef
10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Heading out this morning to meet friends for breakfast before going to work (pre-rude-SUV-operator-incident)...

The sun was coming up, and the sky was all red, pink, and gold. I was pedaling up the ramp to the Sunset Hwy pedestrian bridge to the MAX transit center.

A cyclist was crossing the bridge, silhouetted against the sunrise.

Nice.

K'Tesh
10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Was riding NB on Hwy 217, the setting sun keeping my shadow close to my side where I could watch it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/2963913464_a5a2521c1a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2963913464)
Me and my shadow

When I was rolling up within a block of home the moon was rising (in a clear sky A.O.).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2963073397_ace22756f8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2963073397/)
Harvest Moon at moonrise

Very nice...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

FYI... Last night was the Harvest Moon, the next full moon will be the Hunter's Moon.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-15-2008, 11:40 AM
When I was rolling up within a block of home the moon was rising (in a clear sky A.O.) (got a picture, need to upload it).

Very nice...

Word! It was beautiful. I sat out by the firepit and enjoyed it for about two hours...

Cyberman2
10-16-2008, 03:08 PM
I ride on the Marine Drive path nearly every day and I love it. Just one thing bothers me. Why do they have those flashing yellow lights at the crossings? I understand that cars are supposed to stop when someone is in the crosswalk. The police even conducted a sting operation some time ago and ticked people who did not stop. Last time I looked at the drivers manual it said flashing yellow means proceed with caution. Almost no one stops when I push the button and wait. Wouldn't it make more sense for the lights to flash red? Then most people would know they are supposed to stop.

K'Tesh
10-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I nearly forgot to post my experience this morning as I rode into work today.

It was in the low 50's this morning, the sky was overcast, a few very fine sprinkles. The air tasted fresh from the rain the night before. I swear, it felt just like early morning in Hawaii.

Now if I could only have enjoyed some Kauai coffee on the lanai while looking out over the Pacific...

http://surfnail.com/200610-hawaii/20061025-sunrise.jpg (http://surfnail.com/200610-hawaii/2006hawaii.html)

A hui hou!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
A little fog and the sunrise made an impression this morning... I stopped and took a pic

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2963052703_a3a6df3a62.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2963052703/in/photostream/)
Foggy morning sunrise

Spotted some work being done on the WES. I don't know why they ripped out the part that they did (again), but it looks like they fixed the gap thru there. I doubt that they will fix the rest of the project's gap any time soon though.

Stopped in for an apple and some lunch supplies at freddies.

Altogether a pleasant commute in.

Last night I forgot to mention the storm drains on 99W were fixed (at least the WB ones). Didn't head EB to find out if they had been addressed.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

beelnite
10-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Agreed... Fall is a great time to ride. Those yellow magnolia leaves are particularly striking and there's nothing like a leaf shower with a sudden gust of wind (best place this has happened to me is on SE Lincoln).

I think we should all hum "Ramble On" on the way home tonight.

"Leaves are falling all around..."

poser
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
rode in the fog this morning; just memorizing. Off busy streets, away from the blinding headlights, the neighborhood bike-blvds take on a quiet like after a fresh snow.

This morning, headed down SE Woodward, I passed another cyclist going the other direct. Their front light was so blinding in the fog that I really never saw him/her, but we both dinged our bells at almost the same time. Kind of funny, since I almost never ding my bell. For whatever reason it seamed appropriate.

--

Tait
10-19-2008, 02:23 AM
First incident I've had in quite a while. I was riding in to work the other day. A guy riding a motorcycle wants to turn left across my lane of travel. We make eye contact as he slows down. He pauses momentarily, just long enough to make me think I'm safe to continue, then abruptly turns left right in front of me (almost into me, as I was only going about 12mph at the time). I'd think motorcycles would have more than the usual sympathy to the left-hook situation. Anyway... kind of a crappy start to the morning.

K'Tesh
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
What a lousy feeling...
I'm flatted again...

With a large hole in my tire, and a tube that's expired
I'm grumping, grumping in the rain... :mad:

Flatted again on 217, just at the SB Progress offramp. Was able to walk bike to a bus stop and catch the bus, but my socks are damp, and now I have to bring a replacement dry pair for these. And the tire's beyond repair (3/4" slice between treads). What I find most annoying is that what got me is still out there, 'cause I didn't find it in the tire.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2963897292_a05a0098bc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2963897292/)

Fortunatly I have a spare tire... At home... grrrr... :mad:

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
10-20-2008, 10:00 AM
K'Tesh, I know you're used to riding SR-217, but one of the things I loathe about super busy routes are just how dirty the shoulders get. It's even worse in the rainy season (I'm not quite sure why that is; it's not just the sand that gets thrown down by the road crews; I think it may be more the case that wet debris doesn't get blown as efficiently by the passing cars.)

This is one reason I won't ride TV Highway (SR-8 ) any more than I can help it. I'd guess that the shoulder on that road is about five to ten times more likely to give me a flat than say, SW Baseline.

Honestly, the only part of SW Hall that gives me any pause is as it crosses over SR-217, where ODOT, in their infinite wisdom, neglected to engineer the bridge to have any sort of shoulder. There you have to completely assert the lane and hold it...on an uphill, if you're headed south.

Flatted again on 217, just at the SB Progress offramp.

vincentpaul
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
(O)ne of the things I loathe about super busy routes are just how dirty the shoulders get. It's even worse in the rainy season (I'm not quite sure why that is; it's not just the sand that gets thrown down by the road crews; I think it may be more the case that wet debris doesn't get blown as efficiently by the passing cars.)

I think you're right about the dirt not getting blown off. It's also just plain harder to see debris on wet pavement in the dark, no matter how bright your lights are. And it seems to me that the wet/oily roadway debris penetrates tire casing more efficiently than dry debris.

beelnite
10-20-2008, 12:31 PM
General observations from SE Lincoln/SE Burnside route:

As I ride East from Downtown - the political signs for President are pretty much Obama until you reach about...

Oh... maybe 82nd/I-205 and then it's an abrupt change to McCain.

Not surprising to some I guess, but interesting perhaps.

GET THOSE BALLOTS IN!!!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm proud to say I have already cast my vote. Can we just build a wall at SE 80th and cede everything eastward to Gresham?

djasonpenney
10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
(I know, that's almost an oxymoron.)

Saturday I was selling books at Powell's and discovered OMG where's my driver's license?

Later I turned the house upside down. Nope. Beats me (Saa, neh? as my Japanese student daughter would say.)

So, I figured I better take care of it. After lunch today when I had a spare moment a pedaled down to Allen Boulevard to take care of it.

First thing I noticed was the rancid smell of cigarette smoke at the bike staple rack. I know, it was in the smokers' veranda, but still, it smells a lot worse than outside of just about any other building I've been. There's a delicious irony connecting unhealthy drug use and motor vehicle operation....

When one enters a DMV nowadays there's a triage nurse that makes sure you aren't wasting your time before you take a number.

She immediately asked, "So, what do you need a driver's license for? You bike everywhere." She was just joking, so little did she realize it's true.

"Yes, but my wife occasionally wants me to drive!" I'm not sure if she knew how true that was, as well. I probably drive less than a thousand miles a year now.

As I explained to the fellow at the next counter what I wanted, I heard two other DMV clerks: "Wow, he cared enough not to drive his car to get his replacement license!" :D If I had to wait for a car, it could be weeks, since we only have one car and my wife needs it Monday through Saturday.

Finally, as I was unchaining my rig, a fellow walked up and asked, "Hey, I see all those bicycle manuals in there; do you need a license to ride a bike here?" To which I replied (eloquently, I feel), explaining that cyclists have all of the responsibilities as well as rights as other vehicles (I even mentioned ORS 814.440!). I felt, for once, like a capable and qualified cycling advocate.

In general, it was a pretty good afternoon!

vincentpaul
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm proud to say I have already cast my vote. Can we just build a wall at SE 80th and cede everything eastward to Gresham?

After the 2000 and 2004 elections I wondered if it was really too late to let the states of the former Confederacy go ahead and secede.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
After the 2000 and 2004 elections I wondered if it was really too late to let the states of the former Confederacy go ahead and secede.

That'd be fine with me. I'm confident the Republic of Cascadia will value human rights, will not invade other countries, will provide for education and health care as a basic right for its citizens, and will follow sustainable energy and development policies.

And, oddly enough, these are some of the things I think about on my commute.

K'Tesh
10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I actually stopped and took my foggy morning picture out at the vacant field North of the BTC... Then rode to work with all my lights on...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2963901920_f5220ea3fb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/2963901920/)
The Foggy Field

Here it is now, 45 minutes before I get off work, and I'm thinking about riding into PDX and doing my followup for looking at the drains on 16th and Burnside that I called about a few weeks ago (last inspection showed no changes). I need to get a haircut though, so I'll make the decision to head to PDX after I get trimmed.

Still, looks like a BEAUTIFUL day outside (and probably colder than all get out tomorrow morning if it stays clear tonight).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Cold one this morning. But clear and dry, so no complaints here. Watching the sun rise over Hood always (after the ride) always reminds me of how much I love this place.

brock
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Cold one this morning. But clear and dry, so no complaints here. Watching the sun rise over Hood always (after the ride) always reminds me of how much I love this place.

Cold indeed, always makes the first ten minutes a little tough. But then to watch Hood on the horizen as dawn settles in, wow, all is well in the universe for a little while.

Grant
10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Cold indeed, always makes the first ten minutes a little tough. But then to watch Hood on the horizen as dawn settles in, wow, all is well in the universe for a little while.

I have a harder time about a third of the way into my commute when I go down a couple big hills. My eyes start to sting and I can barely keep them open. Does anyone wear goggles or something like that to combat this problem?

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I can't imagine riding without glasses. I've had my contact lenses literally peel of my eyes and blow away while going downhill when riding without them...

djasonpenney
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Have you ever thought what "steel belted" means in the term "steel belted radial tire"?

Have you thought about what happens to that steel when a truck throws a tire? The steel is in the form of finely twisted wire worked underneath the rubber of the tire.

I know someone who had to undergo surgery for a steel sliver that subsequently got kicked up and landed in his eye.

I would never ride without eye protection.

On a more humorous note, I experimented with a different brand of sunglasses on my second Cycle Oregon. The start of the second day was a dry windy cold sunny Central Oregon morning; I was fully decked out in cold weather gear, including a balaclava.

As I headed down from my first ascent, my left (soft) contact lens went <plink> and landed on my balaclava. EMERGENCY STOP.

I applied eye drops frequently for the rest of the week, and relegated those sunglasses to the console of my car when I got home.

I have a harder time about a third of the way into my commute when I go down a couple big hills. My eyes start to sting and I can barely keep them open. Does anyone wear goggles or something like that to combat this problem?

brock
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
FWIW, the only time I ever put anything over my eyes is when it is sunny. Glasses don't seem to help me in the cold, when it's wet I can't see a thing, when it's hot I sweat all over them. I don't even usually wear them off road. I'm sure many will find this behavior extremely dangerous, but it's worked for me :)

beelnite
10-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Sure! But let me out first!:D

beelnite
10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Safety glasses - the big honkin wrap-around Yellow lensed kind. Yeah, looks kinda dorky, but man, once you try "amber vision" you never want to go back.

Those yellow UV tints are great - they cut the sunlight when it's bright and brighten and sharpen when it's dark.

Bent Bloke
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I use Oakley photochromatic lenses during daylight, but use some cheap, clear polycarbonate glasses in the dark. Had no problems today, but had to take them off yesterday morning because it was so humid they fogged and wouldn't clear.

I've had bugs hit me pretty hard in the cheek, and was always glad I was wearing eye protection when that happened.

And aO, no putting in guard stations at 82nd! Unless there is an unguarded bike lane to let me through...

Bent Bloke
10-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Cold this morning: 34° when I left home at 6:00am. There was frost on the roof of my pickup as I rolled my bike by. Took a bit longer than normal to warm up, but going up the hill by Kelly Butte on Division always does the trick.

Stay warm out there ...

Grant
10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah I have a hill right outside my house. Warms me up quick. Only problem is that I work up a pretty good sweat and feel like I'm freezing into a block of ice on the downhill. Brrrr.

This will be my first bike commuting winter. Still figuring things out. For example, I have discovered that my bike gloves suck. I switched to some cheapo fleece ones that do a better job of warming my hands but they are not ideal for shifting. Going to have to do something about that. Also, I have found that if I don't bring something to blow my nose with then I regret it pretty quick. I don't know if that's normal or not but it's a problem for me. Maybe I just need to get better at shooting "snot rockets"? :D

Cheers to all those braving the cold this morning. I know I can't complain too much...I'll save that for when the rain and sleet starts in.

K'Tesh
10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
I nearly froze my ... well you know the rest of that. Thank God! it was dry.

Absolutely beautiful out there this morning. Thin clouds, and jet contrails catching the sun rising in the East. Great colors from the trees... and my camera is dead, or at least in a coma. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif Guess I'll need to write more poetry or somethig to capture the images.

I'll say this, it was good to get outside today though, my allergies (and the related meds) were messing with me earlier this week. But today my sore throat, and plugged ears have cleared up, and I managed to get the better part of the nights sleep. Allergy meds give me little rest, I toss and turn for about two hours until I give up and then start housecleaning for the rest of the night. The only positive thing to say about fall allergies, at least my apartment is looking better.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Bent Bloke
10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Grant,

I'm using full-fingered cycling gloves from REI's Novarra line. It's not their warmest model, and they don't quite keep my fingers warm enough.

I've found that by not pulling them on too tightly, I get a little extra space at the finger tips, and that makes a big difference. My fingers get much colder if my fingers are tight against the end of the glove tips. So leave a little room in your gloves and see if that helps.

I'll still probably look into getting something warmer.

djasonpenney
10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I've learned to warn the stoker when I do that; she gets really annoyed if I shoot one of those without giving her a...ummm...heads-up. :D

Maybe I just need to get better at shooting "snot rockets"?

djasonpenney
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Look into the Smartwool gloves. They're technical a liner. This time of year I wear them under my short finger gloves. As it gets colder, I use them under other long-fingered gloves.

I have discovered that my bike gloves suck..

beelnite
10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Sorta can't wait for winter. This fall stuff leads to freezing in the morning and sweating in the afternoon.

For really cold (below 40 F) I'm breaking out the Ski Gloves.

Mornings: Using a long fingered pair of Kayak gloves for rain and anything above 40 degrees F. Be careful to dry out your neoprene between rides. Fingerless bike gloves for the ride home.

First real frost this morning on the Outer East Side!

K'Tesh
10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Started out a bit cool, but I quickly warmed up and didn't break a sweat on the way into work today.

scdurs
10-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Kudos to Jennifer Campos and the City of Vancouver for repairing the bridge approaches on the I-205 overpass on SE 10th Street. This issue has been brought up by many of us on the Clark County Bicycle Advisory Committee over the past year or so.

SE 10th Street was supposed to be re-paved this summer, but the project was cut due to budget constraints. I was concerned that the gaps and drops would only get worse. I'm glad to see that they still found the funds to repair this bicycle hazard.

Thanks to all those involved!

Steve

jr98664
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Kudos to Jennifer Campos and the City of Vancouver for repairing the bridge approaches on the I-205 overpass on SE 10th Street. This issue has been brought up by many of us on the Clark County Bicycle Advisory Committee over the past year or so.

SE 10th Street was supposed to be re-paved this summer, but the project was cut due to budget constraints. I was concerned that the gaps and drops would only get worse. I'm glad to see that they still found the funds to repair this bicycle hazard.

Thanks to all those involved!

Steve

I too spoke with Jennifer about this issue, amongst others, and I'm glad to see that this one was finally fixed. I was just waiting for the repaving, but this is the only thing that I was after.

As for my commute: For those who are interested, the ride is viewable here (http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/wa/vancouver/454001178105).
After school, I tried to hit up every Vancouver Taco Bell for the free taco deal.

Five free tacos and five miles of freeway. It's completely legal to ride a bike on the shoulder of freeways such as SR 500 and I-205 in Vancouver. (Portions of I-5, however, are not)

K'Tesh ought to know of what fun it is.

After school I rode to the Taco Bell on 164th, then back to school, then the one of Mill Plain, and then the one all the way up past Fourth Plain. Then I got bored so I took SR 500 to the one at the Vancouver Mall and one more on Fourth Plain. Other than the fact that the shoulder tends to be rather dirty, it was fine, save for crossing I-205.

Apparently, someone thought it would be funny if they took an overpass designed for three lanes, and shoved four lanes on it. As a result, there was no shoulder next to the weave lane of traffic getting on and off of 205.

K'Tesh, just be thankful that you don't have a shoulder-less cloverleaf on your freeway commute. While two ignorant motorists decided to honk at me, just as many kindly yielded to me, one most importantly at this cloverleaf of death.

Riding on the freeway is certainly a good way to get your adrenaline pumping.

Psyfalcon
10-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Got lectured about not using the bikelane after exiting hwy26 into Goose Hollow. After being passed within a foot. Of course, I caught him at the light for the MAX and gave him the "are you trying to kill me" look.

(paraphrased)
Him: You need to be in the (mumble) bike lane.

Me: (thinking he means the exit or the highway) Perfectly legal to be there...

Him: Bikelane!

The light changed before I lectured him on the difference between a bikelane and an overgrown shoulder. Google maps shows no bike lane symbols... not that you could see one on the road with the overgrown brush.

Nevermind the whole... I was already exceeding the recommended limit (25) and darn close to the posted limit (30 or 35) on the tight corner.

This might be a downside to bike lanes that I have not thought about... drivers thinking any stripe is a bike lane and how completely oblivious to hazards they are. (The brush is completely blocking that thing!)

It does not appear to be a visibility thing, but people have been coming up much faster on my and passing with less room lately. Over the summer they typically held back. I don't want to take any more room, since I'm convinced I'll be mirrored or rear ended if I don't give them that car + 1 foot space.

K'Tesh
10-28-2008, 11:24 PM
K'Tesh, just be thankful that you don't have a shoulder-less cloverleaf on your freeway commute. While two ignorant motorists decided to honk at me, just as many kindly yielded to me, one most importantly at this cloverleaf of death.

Riding on the freeway is certainly a good way to get your adrenaline pumping.

Cloverleaf of death? (eek!) Pass...

Jr be careful out there! Someday I hope to meet you!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Today as I was commuting into work (on the shoulder of 217, SB between Greenburg and 99W, I had a little read car scream past me (not yelling, but really really unnecessarily fast for the traffic at the time).

Then I heard a gentle tap on the horn and witnessed white commercial pickup truck loaded with shipping pallets ease back into the center of his lane. His pallets were extending over the side of the pickup. I wasn't offended, I felt that it was a polite heads up, and not an angry, do this just to frighten honk.

I exited 217 and proceeded up to the Shell gas station to get something to drink, and I saw the truck there. As I rolled up, the driver got out and started telling (not yelling) me that I had no business being in the E-lane. I was a little taken aback, this guy who I felt had done something nice was turning into a dick. I explained that 217 is legal, and he starts grumping about it is not legal. I tried to give him the OAR, but he interrupted me saying that this is why he's leaving the state because of all the (his words) garbage on the roads. I left before he could complete his sentence.

I proceeded to work, and as I was rounding out the mileage (riding til the odometer was at the even mile), I noticed him a 3rd time. I got the plate that time, and he didn't follow me into the parking lot (so I don't feel like he was stalking me). I didn't get the company name other than it has "pallets" <edit: see photo below>. I didn't find a easy to recognize ad in the phone book, so I can't try to call this guy's boss, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3060199303_b59dc5edd0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/3060199303)

Sometimes it's hard to figure people out. Still, if you hear about someone getting clobbered by a pickup full of shipping pallets, know that the driver may have it in for "all the garbage" on the side of the road.

Signs off, shaking head...
K'Tesh

jr98664
10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
After school, I was headed up to nLight, when I was in the NB bike lane on NE 94th Ave, stopped at Padden Parkway. Behind me, there is one of those pickup trucks with a large, Republican election sign held up in back. (Who else would have the room in the back of a pickup truck that never actually gets used to haul things? ;)) This one had a loudspeaker from which someone inside the truck started yelling at me to get off of the road. Silly Republicans and their pickup trucks. I think I might as well just call the campaign offices and complain.

On my way back home, I was headed SB in the bike lane on NE Andresen Road coming up to NE 58th Street when a motorist cuts me off to make a right turn. I roll around to his window and knock. Then I tell him that he needs to yield to bikes in the bike lane, and as such, he shouldn't be in the bike lane. He just starts mumbling something about how I'm there, and he's going, only to speed off.

beelnite
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Maybe my day job as a muddle-headed paper pusher is getting to me.

Normally somewhat calm (yes, with some effort), yesterday I just flipped over some hipster on an expensive road bike weaving through traffic and jumping the rest of us at stop lights.

So I did it to him.

Obscenities, sarcasm, nasal-toned barbs exchanged... my favorite was one of his:

"Oh you think your so cool in your bikey clothes!!!"

(For the record - Dry fit, some "elf tights" and shorts... hardly Tour de France and kinda laughable if you ask me.)

and then...

What ensued was a 10 minute thrill ride/chase across the Hawthorne, past OMSI and down Clinton street at speeds of excess of 25 mph.

At which point I realized I was acting like as much of a jerk as I thought he was.

Plus I'm on a freaking MTB, I need air in my tires big time, I just got a flu shot and still have this annoying head cold. WTF? I'm a family guy - spending 10 minutes trying to kill myself to prove some stupid point... sheesh.

More Klingon behavior... thank you for letting me cleanse. I may consider counseling, though I think it's fatigue from raising small children and working in a job where I'm an impotent bureaucrat.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Jeez man, at least you're witty and non-violent about your anger management problem...the raising small children and working as an impotent bureaucrat line is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Hipster douchebags aren't going to listen to you. If you feel the need to warn someone for dangerous or unsportsmanlike conduct, just give them a sharp, clear admonishment and then let it go.

At least that's my advice, which is worth what you paid for it. Stay sane (and safe) out there.

Normally somewhat calm (yes, with some effort), yesterday I just flipped over some hipster on an expensive road bike weaving through traffic and jumping the rest of us at stop lights.

So I did it to him.

Obscenities, sarcasm, nasal-toned barbs exchanged... my favorite was one of his:

"Oh you think your so cool in your bikey clothes!!!"

(For the record - Dry fit, some "elf tights" and shorts... hardly Tour de France and kinda laughable if you ask me.)

and then...

What ensued was a 10 minute thrill ride/chase across the Hawthorne, past OMSI and down Clinton street at speeds of excess of 25 mph.

At which point I realized I was acting like as much of a jerk as I thought he was.

Plus I'm on a freaking MTB, I need air in my tires big time, I just got a flu shot and still have this annoying head cold. WTF? I'm a family guy - spending 10 minutes trying to kill myself to prove some stupid point... sheesh.

More Klingon behavior... thank you for letting me cleanse. I may consider counseling, though I think it's fatigue from raising small children and working in a job where I'm an impotent bureaucrat.

djasonpenney
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
You just made my day :D I thought I was the only one who did dumb things like that.

--jason "never quite outgrew the testosterone" p.

beelnite
10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks AO and DJ.

I'm heading out for the daily ride with my mantra spinning through my head:

"It's OK. Take it easy. Kill with kindness. Wave. Smile." Repeat.

Serentity now...

Grant
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
My first rain related crash this morning. Actually, I'm not sure I can really call it a crash. I park my bike in a secure grage that is below street level. The entrance to the garage is covered but has a pretty steep slope and is concrete. The ground was completely dry and I was going quite slow as I was about 10 feet from where I'd get off my bike and open the secured door. As I turned on that steep sloped entrance my wheels just sort of slid out from under me, dumping me on the ground and leaving me with a slightly bruised tail bone.

I guess it was a combination of my wet tires and the concrete. I lay there for a few seconds thinking "I hope the security guys weren't looking at that camera".

Guess I need to re-read the thread about wet weather tires...

sheesh.

Oldguyonabike
10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Going home yesterday in Clackamas on 92nd going uphill (north) by New Hope Church. Enjoying what probably was the last dry day with colorful leaves. I heard a SMACK and felt something on my arm. Looked over to see pumpkin pie running down my sleeve and a white Toyota Corolla with a couple teens in it speeding away. Didn't have the presence of mind to get the license. The hill was too steep to catch up. Coulda been worse. It stank pretty good, didn't stain or injure. But I ride that route every day and I'll be looking for them.

biciclero
10-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks AO and DJ.

I'm heading out for the daily ride with my mantra spinning through my head:

"It's OK. Take it easy. Kill with kindness. Wave. Smile." Repeat.

Serentity now...

...Don't forget "goooose fraba".

One advantage to riding a bike as opposed to driving a car is that if something happens to cheese you off in traffic, you can "pedal it out" and burn off the adrenaline, rather than smoldering in your car or "driving angry".

beelnite
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Going home yesterday in Clackamas on 92nd going uphill (north) by New Hope Church. Enjoying what probably was the last dry day with colorful leaves. I heard a SMACK and felt something on my arm. Looked over to see pumpkin pie running down my sleeve and a white Toyota Corolla with a couple teens in it speeding away. Didn't have the presence of mind to get the license. The hill was too steep to catch up. Coulda been worse. It stank pretty good, didn't stain or injure. But I ride that route every day and I'll be looking for them.

Hey oldguy - as I recall we share at least a portion of our daily route. I'm in outer SE. Do you have more details on the vehicle. I'll keep an eye out too.

Maybe a look at the driver - or possibly year of vehicle? Anything you can think of that might distinguish the Corolla.

igerould
10-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Allen road in Beaverton..never again
Only a short bike lane that serves no purpose whatsoever from Menlo to
Wilson. Car full of people pulls out in the middle of the sidewalk, good think I was cautious too and slowed down when I saw them because I wouldve smacked it so bad.

djasonpenney
10-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, major cluster f***. Fortunately it's largely avoidable by virtue of SW 5th to the north or SW Hart to the south.

I have one destination right on Allen and I make sure to only ride the minimal distance (i.e., from Hall & Allen) to the destination. For those two blocks, I assertively take the lane. There just ain't any other way.

See my post on Bicycling of the Future for my ultimate fantasy, where they simply remove the second vehicle lane in order to accommodate shoulders and bike lanes :)

Wilson. Car full of people pulls out in the middle of the sidewalk, good think I was cautious too and slowed down when I saw them because I wouldve smacked it so bad.

K'Tesh
11-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Back when I first started having problems with my camera, I had tried to get a video of that bike lane...

It's not a bad bike lane, but totally pointless one as like you said, it only goes for a single block. I think if that was a part of my regular commute, I'd only get into it to allow cars to pass, but (if memory serves) as it's on a downhill, I'd probably only get stuck at the bottom by all the vehicles that would force me to stop.

I'd stay in the travel lane if I was out there.

K'Tesh
11-03-2008, 09:25 AM
All the leaves are down...
and the sky is grey...
I went for a ride...
On a November day..

I'd be home and warm..
If I didn't have bills to pay...

I'm having problems finishing that. but it accurately describes todays commute. I'm rather pissed because of my camera problems. The new one hasn't arrived yet (but that's to be understood). I park my bike under a maple tree and for the last few weeks it's been looking absolutely beautiful (increadibly red leaves) but I didn't get a shot off with the blue skies. Today I came into work, and the trees are mostly naked. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

No disrespect ment for you Mamma's and Pappas

And no ones getting fat except for..
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
11-03-2008, 09:52 AM
On Hall Blvd, between McDonald and Greensward (riding on Hall towards Bonita, the next light beyond Greensward), at the church:

There is a large steel plate in the bike lane. Looks like someone did a little utilities work over the weekend, and covered the hole with a slippery steel plate. It's not flush with the road surface, either.

Oh, and there's no warning signs, and it blends in with the wet road.

Watch the grade change, be careful on the steel.

It wasn't there on Friday, it wasn't there on Saturday, so someone must have been out there on Sunday during the day, digging up the bike lane.

vincentpaul
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
On Hall Blvd...there is a large steel plate in the bike lane.....someone must have been out there on Sunday during the day, digging up the bike lane.

I hit that this morning and was surprised at how "easy" the bump was when I crossed it. Remembered that I was riding my bike w/ the 2.1 inch balloon tires that I'd lowered down to about 35 psi. There's something to be said for fat tires.

K'Tesh
11-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Just about to get off work and Damn! it's dark outside...

Doesn't help that it's raining, and I have to get to Sherwood w/o an umbrella.

I'm Grumping in the Rain...
Just Grumping in the Rain...
What an annoying feeling, my shorts are soggy again...
K'Tesh

poser
11-05-2008, 09:42 AM
sitting at the stop sign at 50th and Clinton, and I had one of those moments that maybe only a cyclist could experience.

There was a line of cars coming down 50th in both lanes as far as you could see in either direction; but then one of those crazy gaps appeared. You know, where one car slows everyone down to take a right while another car, in the opposing line, slows down to drop someone off - and you have that magic 2 second gap between both lines coming, but you must... go... NOW! GO GO GO!

I picked my left foot up, got it on the pedal and pushed hard to accelerate through the gap... except that I ended up catching the side of the pedal, not the flat. So when I pushed, my foot snapped the pedal down, slipped off, and somehow flipped my clog off my foot and into the middle of 50th. I lost my balance trying to brake suddenly (so that I didn't float into traffic) and had to put my sock-clad left foot down on the wet street to right myself. So now I have a wet sock, I missed the gap, and I'm staring at a line of cars going both directions - and I'm sure that one of them will be on the phone, or looking somewhere else, or distracted just enough to run over my clog.

Talk about instant bad mood.

when the cars cleared, I coasted into the street and, since none of them had run over my shoe, (thankfully) I was able to just slide my wet foot in with little pause and keep riding down Clinton. But I did pause just long enough to notice the Obama spoke card in my front wheel as I put my shoe back on.

Somehow, I had hit the alarm, gotten out of bed, got dressed, packed my gear and hit the road without remembering that our president-elect was Barack Obama.

Talk about instant good mood!

Then I remembered that our president-elect was a man who:

when he had a day off from campaigning, took his family out for a 4 hour bike ride
has convinced our own Earl Blumenauer that that he's supportive of bicycle issues (http://bikeportland.org/2008/06/16/blumenauer-obama-meeting-was-a-coming-of-age-moment/)
could potentially rest the supreme court from the clutches of Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito
is intelligent
is not evil
can complete a grammatically correct sentence

By the time I got to work I had a big, sloppy grin on my face.

What a beautiful day! Happy Wednesday everyone!

--

K'Tesh
11-05-2008, 05:15 PM
UPS tracking was showing that my camera had been delivered. I wanted to get home so I could pick it up, get a 4G SD card, and get the battery charged so I could start using my new tool...

Rushed outside all ready to go, unlock the bike, and find...

My front tire was flat... :mad:

Due to the time crunch, had to use one of my few remaining forever TriMet tickets to get home before the store closed. Thank God I have a 2nd bike, and it had fully inflated tires.

Got the camera, made it to the store, and now I'm up and shooting again.

Say Cheese!
K'Tesh

jr98664
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Here's my map (http://tinyurl.com/694tf4) of commute fun today.

So I thought I would spice up my ride home from school today by taking Mill Plain, the main arterial in that portion of Vancouver. Three lanes in each direction with little room for a bike east of 205, with two lanes and enough room for a currently non-existent bike lane (if they would move the lanes around, that is) to the west of 205. So I'm headed WB coming up to Chkalov, which is probably the largest and busiest intersection on this side of Vancouver.
I get in the middle lane, as the right-hand one only goes to 205 NB, and right as I get across the intersection, some cars who want over into the right lane stop up the center and right-hand lanes. Already going at around 15–20 mph, I notice the left lane is open, signal over, and pass the stopped cars instead of—you know—rear-ending them. Apparently, suburbanites in their SOVs couldn't possibly believe that they were being legally and safely passed by a bike on their left, so one of them let out a loud, angry honk of pent up road rage. He was stuck in traffic though, so he didn't concern me much.

Humorously enough, I took the Mill Plain overpass over 205 this morning headed EB on my way to school, making sure to politely wave at the lines of motorists waiting to get onto 205, with today's unusually congested SB traffic headed to the Glenn Jackson bridge.

Psyfalcon
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Could have been type 50 today.

Climbed up broadway into a foggy cloud with sharply slanting light drizzle. That is, if the rain ever made the ground it was so fine. Hewitt was leafy and slippery. Whats the chance that Portland will send a street sweeper up that nice out of the way street?

K'Tesh
11-07-2008, 08:52 AM
There's something about fall rides that I find inspirational... Now if I can only write the poem I was composing this morning.

See the Beauty All Around
K'Tesh

jr98664
11-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Cross-posted from Close Calls Forum (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=16721#post16721).
Map du jour (http://tinyurl.com/6bjrfl).
Today I was riding on EB Mill Plain Boulevard at about 7:20 am on my way to school. Three lanes in each direction, just enough room in the right lane for a small car to pass without going over the line—if they're good. I'm riding as far to the right as is safe, when a car whizzes pass me honking their horn. I wouldn't have thought much of it, had this driver not tried to run me off of the road before.

They're a student a my high school, and I still remember our previous incident. If my vision and memory serve me correctly, it was WA 226-UOV, a red Honda or similar.

We've got a police officer at our school, so I've just got to tell him on Monday (he was off today). Considering that I have reported these incidents with to him, but that he has not seen them in person, what is he allowed to do? The school themselves said that they could likely rescind his parking pass, but what can legally be done against him with only myself as a witness, and no physical damage yet (after all, that's what I'm trying to prevent)?

poser
11-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I have two: one is "water-resistant" and the other is "water-proof", or so I thought. Last night on the way home I learned that the "water-proof" jacket is just "more water-resistant" than my other jacket.

Soaked... to... the... bone. Same with this morning.

I need to go get myself a jacket that is actually water-proof.

Still - I love riding in a downpour. the rain tickles my whiskers.

--

vincentpaul
11-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I rather enjoyed the torrential rain on tonight's ride home.

Puddles? Oh, Yeah! Wheeee!

I rode my bike with the big, fat conti town&country tires. It was nice to spray cars for a change, rather than the other way around.

K'Tesh
11-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Took the Fanno Creek Trail tonight... I knew that my rain resistant jacket wouldn't hold up to the type 17 coming down, so I opted for a large industrial sized plastic trash bag... What the Hell? It worked!

Under Scholls, the water was about 18 inches deep...

Between Scholls and Hall, there was a part that had to be at least 22 inches deep... How do I know? The high water marks on Henry... Yeah, it was a little deeper than I had expected.

Live and Learn ;)
K'Tesh

BTW... The bike bucket did it's job well! :D

M Cook
11-13-2008, 08:15 AM
I got soaked yesterday. My jacket kept dry, but the rest of me was soaked all the way through. My gloves and shoes are still not dry.

djasonpenney
11-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Just a few minutes after five today, I was headed home, eastbound on SW Downing (between Meadow and Murray). This is a wide two lane residential street abutting the north edge of Meadow Park Middle School.

It's quite dim at this time, so I've got full running lights, including three rear blinkies (one is a Planet Bike Super Flash), and all three front lights (2 MiNewts, one TriNewt).

There's quite a bit of traffic passing me due to being rush hour, but everyone was behaving decently. Until.

This red sedan passed me with inches to spare. There was no oncoming traffic, no parked cars on the other side. This driver just Could Not Be Bothered.

As I approached the light at Murray all vehicles were stopped for the traffic light. I spotted the offender sitting in the left turn lane. Since there was no traffic behind me, I swung over to the passenger window. I saw a middle aged couple, with the female type riding shotgun and a fairly nondescript nebbish male behind the wheel.

THUMP THUMP two taps with my gloved hand on the window. "Next time give me a little more room!" and pushed off. That's all. No one-fingered salute. No profanity. Not even an angry tone of voice.

As I rode up to the light I heard her yell out the window, "You little jackass, don't you ever do that again!"

Guess I spooked her a little bit, hunh? I didn't engage her because a) it wouldn't have been constructive, and b) she wasn't the one driving anyway.

I just hope that after she calms down the little shrew turns that tongue on her husband. Was she scared? That's the point, lady. While you're sitting comfortable on your motorized sofa, your dimwit husband is being an inconsiderate...jackass.

Surprised that there's a real person tapping on your window? Yes, those are real people out there. Stop thinking about getting home in time watch the idiot box and start treating bicyclists as people.

I can only hope.

I actually find her response humorous. I'm sure she won't forget it for at least a few hours. :D

Attornatus_Oregonensis
11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey, K'Tesh, nice full moon paired with clear skies on your ride up the Willamette to Sellwood tonight... coincidence?

jr98664
11-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Street View of incident location (http://tinyurl.com/6auf3j):
12914 NE 28th St, Vancouver, WA
(Humorously enough, there's a cyclist riding the wrong way in the bike lane just to the east in Street View)

A car cut me off turning into their driveway, coming as close as an inch away from my bike. I was going at least 20 mph, and had I not braked, they would have easily run me over. Then I ask if they were even looking, and the guy responds something along the lines of, "We were *bleep*ing pulling into our *bleep*ing driveway"—as if the rules of the road did not apply to them at this point.

After that, he and his friend almost sic their pitbull on me. Then they threatened to kill me, so I left and called the cops on them.

For an added bit of humor, I went and looked at the county tax records for the lot, and it turns out that not only is it not owned by the guy (it's owned by a redevelopment firm), the stated value of his house is flat out $0.

I don't want to sound like an evil person, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it turned out that they were squatters and that they were arrested when the cops arrived. That could be karma right there.

K'Tesh
11-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey, K'Tesh, nice full moon paired with clear skies on your ride up the Willamette to Sellwood tonight... coincidence?

Yeah, and you wouldn't believe the character I spotted out there tonight! ;)

Rode from work (Tigard) to Pdx, crossed the Ross Island, hit the springwater, caught up to another rider, rode and chatted... till an attorney caught up with us... I've taken some moon shots tonight, but I'm waiting for the computer to finish uploading them.

I went to the Sellwood bridge presentation, more on that later...

Rode to Umatilla? then turned around and did my typical Springwater/Esplanade run (once around in each direction), then headed for home. (Zoo Bomb into Beaverton)

I managed to hit Hwy 217 at 10:45 pm tonight... Was so little traffic, I actually managed to ride in the fast lane! FUN!!!

Got home by 11pm... 34 3/4 miles ridden tonight.

Rubberside Down!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
11-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Rode from work (Tigard) to Pdx, crossed the Ross Island, hit the springwater, caught up to another rider, rode and chatted... till an attorney caught up with us... I've taken some moon shots tonight, but I'm waiting for the computer to finish uploading them.

I went to the Sellwood bridge presentation, more on that later...

Yeah, I'd like to hear more on the Bridge presentation. I am caught up with what's going on (DEIS), but I'd like to hear how the presentation was.

And you probably already know this, but from behind you're visible from like a mile away. I could see you entering the murky curves of the Holgate Slough while I was crossing undering the Ross Island Bridge ... pretty dang bright! Course, I was shining the MiNewt on ya.

And why did you exit where you did? That ramp doesn't take you up into the neighborhood....

K'Tesh
11-14-2008, 08:40 AM
And why did you exit where you did? That ramp doesn't take you up into the neighborhood....

The presentation was at the Oaks Park Dance Pavillion, and I know where Oaks Park was (I've never been there, but still managed to get briefly lost)...

Wish you would have caught up earlier, would have enjoyed adding you into the chat...

The DEIS report will have to wait for a while... pics however are on my flicr page...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Street View of incident location (http://tinyurl.com/6auf3j):
12914 NE 28th St, Vancouver, WA
(Humorously enough, there's a cyclists riding the wrong way in the bike lane just to the east in Street View)

A car cut me off turning into their driveway, coming as close as an inch away from my bike. I was going at least 20 mph, and had I not braked, they would have easily run me over. Then I ask if they were even looking, and the guy responds something along the lines of, "We were *bleep*ing pulling into our *bleep*ing driveway"—as if the rules of the road did not apply to them at this point.

After that, he and his friend almost sic their pitbull on me. Then they threatened to kill me, so I left and called the cops on them.

For an added bit of humor, I went and looked at the county tax records for the lot, and it turns out that not only is it not owned by the guy (it's owned by a redevelopment firm), the stated value of his house is flat out $0.

I don't want to sound like an evil person, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it turned out that they were squatters and that they were arrested when the cops arrived. That could be karma right there.

Jr9866,

I'm sorry, I was so tuckered out, and so busy, I didn't manage to read this until now...

I'm glad that you got away unharmed, and I'm glad to hear that you did the right thing by calling the cops.

Take care of yourself, Ok?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Did a lot of riding this weekend... Turned a lot of square storm drain grates... took a lot of pictures, now if I can only get the time to download them. Took some time out to clean Henry, and add more reflective material to Mk (as if it needed any more). It was glorious weather this weekend wasn't it?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought that this was cute...

THE BRILLIANT MIND OF EDISON LEE (http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20081119&name=Edison) 11/19/08

For what it's worth, I went out and bought some degreaser yesterday... $6.29.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

biciclero
11-20-2008, 11:13 AM
...at least when a lit cigarette is the only visible thing on a pedestrian walking in the bike lane. Discovered that last night on my way home.

K'Tesh
11-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Today I met Peter,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/3081806305_22284b5b30.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/3081806305/)

Peter was at the Beaverton Transit Center, and I intially mistook him for another rider (similar garb) I had met recently (John, who was serving beer at the Veer Premier last Friday). Anyway, we talked, and I found out that he was heading for Tigard.

I asked if he had ever ridden on Hwy 217, and he said no, but he had spotted some guy out there often. I offered to lead him on Hwy 217, and we rode from Beaverton to Tigard. We had one "beeper" who honked and did the finger waggle (index, not middle), but we were able to pass him, and didn't see him again. I pointed out my tricks to crossing the on and off ramps, advised him of the SB tricky spots (narrows under Hall blvd, and again between Greenburg and the Hall overpass). Pretty easy commute, and we were able to pass a lot of cars.

I might have a new commute partner... I've ridden with others out on 217, but not as a daily commute.

Welcome Peter!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

vincentpaul
11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
this morning. I was running a few minutes late and really attacked the steep (east bound) side of Gaarde Hill. Was rewarded for my efforts with a great view of Mt. Hood rising above the Portland-area hills swaddled in morning fog. Stopped for a moment at the top to enjoy a few sips of coffee from my thermos and soak it up. What a great way to start the day.

K'Tesh
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Today's commute in was dry, and uneventful, however it's raining hard here in Tigard right now. Last time it was raining this hard, I ended up in water 22 inches deep on the Fanno Creek Trail, while I was covered in a rather large plastic bag. I didn't mind it much, as I was wearing shorts, but today I've got sweats. I am not going to get those drenched...

I have a feeling there may be reports of a 1/2 naked man wearing a large orange plastic bag riding on the trail tonight. (No pictures) ;)

I have just got to get that drysuit...

Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy this year...

Let's hope the weather clears up tonight...
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Things settled down last night in time for my commute home... Actually the underpass at Scholls Ferry was DRY!

I managed to ride with my clothes ON!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

lazlo
11-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Delightfully quiet commute this morning. Hardly any cars out, and I rode from St Johns to Ladd's Addition before I saw a single bike. The entire length of the Esplanade I saw only 2 walkers and a jogger.

bubbaPDX
12-04-2008, 09:24 AM
So, while staying at a Hampton Inn, I visited with the lady who ran the breakfast buffet. As I pulled a waffle out of the little automated flip-upside-down-beeping-appliance-thingie, she sighed and said, “Another perfect waffle.”

That’s become a code word for crispy perfection in our household.

This morning was “another perfect waffle.” Flawless sky, with a crisp headwind to get the tears and snot flowing. Springwater Corridor was curiously empty; the South Waterfront sparkled like an architect’s conceptual rendering. Easy merge onto the Hawthorne Bridge, with no grim faces in my mirror. Caught all the green lights on SW 2nd, and slipped quietly up SW Morrison.

Perfect waffle. This evening should be lovely… with a tailwind, perhaps.

K'Tesh
12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Then I took off my glasses... ;)

My clothes, my glasses, my helmet all had a fine covering of water that I picked up as I was riding this morning. I had drips forming on the brim of the helmet.

I took a few photos, but I don't know if they turned out. There's somthing about the effect of fog that I enjoy capturing when I can. Perhaps it's the soft edges, or perhaps it's the ability of it to conceal manmade intrusions into "natural" areas.

Anyway, pretty much had the FCT to myself after I crossed Scholls.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

jr98664
12-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I certainly enjoyed the dense fog when I went out early at six this morning. Normally I'm leaving just as the sun is starting to bend its rays around enough to actually begin to illuminate the sky. No so this morning.

With the fog, visibility was down to no more than a block or two, and beyond that, just darkness. And car headlights.

My ride home was much less peaceful. I decided to take Mill Plain Boulevard. It's always 'fun' in one way or another. Today, for example, I was being tailgated, I turned around, looking the woman in the eye, and politely motioned for her to back off or pass safely. After tailgating for at least five more blocks, I looked back at her again to see her cut off a truck, despite the fact that she would have safely been able to change lanes earlier while tailgating. Then she blares her horn right as she passes me.

I ended up catching up to her at the next red light and asked what the heck she was doing. She then accused me of making her cut off that truck. Nevermind that the lane had been open the entire time she was tailgating me. Even a C-Tran bus was able to safely overtake me while she was there.

Then I felt like cruising the rest of the way home at 25 mph. While I was riding in traffic, two or three people then yelled at me over the next couple of miles to either get off of road, or to get on the sidewalk. Humorously enough, they were all pedestrians standing on Mill Plain's narrow 5 or 6 foot wide sidewalk. Other than a few ignorant teenagers, not even the drivers were heckling me as much.

In other good news today, on SE 160th Ave in Vancouver, speed cushions have now been installed along with ADA ramps and marked crosswalks, in addition to the old bike lanes. How do I know that they're working? My fellow high school students now are complaining about how they have to slow down.

K'Tesh
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
This morning my feet were revelling in the warm fuzzy feeling of fresh out of the dryer wool socks...

Fun commute in too. Traffic was fast, then it'd slow down, and I'd pass, then it speed up, then it slow down and I'd pass. It's always fun when I can tease the cagers. ;)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
12-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I was a bit of a lunatic,
I rode from work to Mom's for dinner (roast beef). Then rode home... (22 miles last night, 6 more this morning).

Clear dark skys with a bright full, or nearly full moon. Was so bright out, I was able to see the trail w/o the aid of lights.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/3102281858_2bd0cd5dda.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/3102281858/)
Beautiful!

Still trying to figure out my new camera, so I can get the details of the moon, but I took a few shots.

Stay Warm this weekend!
K'Tesh

scholzj
12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Ktesh, in order to get detail in the moon at night you need to meter off of the moon its self. The moon needs to be exposed by your camera as if it was a little orb of daylight, so that means that you can either get detail in the moon or detail in the night sky, not both. Try shooting it in a manual mode exposed like you were shooting an object during the day. Play around with different exposure settings.

vincentpaul
12-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Just finished making my checklist for next week's riding:

balaclava - check
lobster mittens - check
thermal underlayers - check
one pair of Sorrel boots w/ lamb's wool liners - check
spare 26" wheelset w/ knobby tires - check

Winter weather? Bring it on!

K'Tesh
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Wool socks - check
Cotton Tee Shirts - check
Cotton Sweat Pants - check
Cotton Sweat Shirt - check
Large Orange (jack-o-lantern print) trash bag - check
Multiple pairs of shoes - check
Ski Gloves - check*
Multiple changes of clothes - check
One Zone and All Zone bus tickets - better double check.

Sanity - better double check ;)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

*plotting on improvising some overmits for the gloves.

vincentpaul
12-15-2008, 08:34 AM
sanity check - failed

Had a nice ride in this morning. Put some aggressive trail tires on and deflated them to just over 30 psi to get all the knobs on the pavement. The ten mile ride took 90 minutes. Kept it in the granny gears all the way, and established a rule that if I was spinning out in fifth gear I was going too fast. Never even had to put a foot down. I was warm and toasty, only problem was keeping my glasses from fogging. Ended up pulling the balaclava down a bit and didn't have any more problems. My container of soup froze up during the ride. Beautiful view of Mt. Hood from atop Gaarde Hill.

bubbaPDX
12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
30 minute commute via bike translates to an hour-and-fifteen on foot this morning. Serene and quiet on the Springwater Corridor this morning. Couple of intrepid souls with fatter tires than I have rolled past. Hawthorne Bridge bike/walk lane empty. Bus 19 tonight. Happy Shuffling!

vincentpaul
12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
30 minute commute via bike translates to an hour-and-fifteen on foot this morning. Serene and quiet on the Springwater Corridor this morning. Couple of intrepid souls with fatter tires than I have rolled past. Hawthorne Bridge bike/walk lane empty. Bus 19 tonight. Happy Shuffling!

Conditions have changed for the worse out there, even for fat tires. By 5:00 that slush should be a nice sheen of ice. I'm planning to shuffle over to the park-n-ride to make my way home.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
12-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Great to be back in the saddle this morning, even though it was through freezing rain. Beats the bus any day. Looks to be dodgy this evening...

M Cook
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Got a flat on the way to work today. Oddly, it did not appear to be connected to the homemade studs It was in the very middle of the tube on the side facing out. Very odd.

K'Tesh
12-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Rode bike in slush to the bus, rode bus to work, rode bike from bus to work...

Now it's snowing hard (and sticking)...

It's gonna be fun tonight... NOT! (This bus stuff is getting old).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

jr98664
12-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Well, it's not my personal commute, but with the weather the way it is, I figure it's got to be relative to someone's.

For those of you who like a visual aid, the map can be found here (http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=591613688907):
http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=591613688907

I get onto Mill Plain Boulevard, and the first thing I think is "Where are all of the cars?" There were some, but they weren't traveling much faster than 15 or 20 mph. One odd thing to note is that paint has very little relevance under a few inches of snow. Nevermind that there was no longer a bike lane. I now had a 15-foot wide one.

I really wish I had my camera when I started to head down Blandford Drive. Imagine magically being transported to a forest on mount hood for half a mile. Instead of my normal 30+ mph down the hill, I was traveling at the breakneck pace of about 10 or 12 mph.

Then there was Evergreen Boulevard. Somehow, the tire tracks just disappeared—a 30-foot-wide ribbon of snow. Now care to correct my logic if I'm wrong, but as I headed down a slight slope to a four-way stop right before Officer's Row, I figured it would probably be safer to just carefully ride though the stop sign as opposed to risk slipping on ice. Then a car comes up across the way. I brake. Wham! Same thing in downtown Vancouver. I'm heading down a slight slope on C street towards Mill Plain when the light turns red. I try to slow down. Wham! At least that time I half expected it. Another time, I was able to recover so quickly that I didn't even have to stop moving, I just slid on my left foot.

While the roads had been next to devoid of cars up to this point, all of the frustrated ones came out in force as I made my way back east over I-5 at Fourth Plain. Nevermind that there was an open lane to my left. At least two or three angry drivers either yelled at me to "Get the F*** off the road!" or tried to accomplish that with their horns and front bumpers. Silly motorists. You don't even have a right to be here. Guess who does.

All of their bad attitudes no longer concerned me about two miles down the road when, after drafting behind a friendly snowplow, a man walking down the street yells out to me "That's some F***ing balls!" That made my day.

Unfortunately, as I got on Burton Road, some driver didn't seem to understand the idea of leaving extra space with bad road conditions. It may only have been half a mile, but even at only 8 mph, it was easily the most nerve-wracking four minutes of the entire ride. To make matters worse, the snow was too deep to pull over to the right, and the road to slick to take my hand of the handlebars to motion that it was okay to pass me.

I finally start may way up the hill towards my house, only to realize that not only do the properties of friction hinder my safety heading downhill, they make it next to impossible to go uphill. Of course, my tires has been spinning out even on flat ground, so I took to walking my bike about as quickly as it takes a motorist to get fed up with traffic.

I get back on my bike at the top of the hill. I've only got half of a mile left! I cautiously maneuver my way around two speed cushions in an effort to stay on top of my bike. I'm looking around for the third set and—Wham! Luckily, in my two hours of riding, I only managed to fall thrice, the last two times for which I was prepared.

Maybe I really ought to invest in some studded tires. Actually, based on my experiences today, a tricycle would be a very welcome addition to my garage.

Also interesting to note would be my average speed at the end of my ride. A blazing seven point something miles per hour. Still over twice as fast as walking, but only half of my normal speed. Funny what a lack of traction will do to you.

K'Tesh
12-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Last night as I was doing my last minute shopping, rode "The Crazy Dammit" (Dammit Mk VII's predicessor) with it's new studded tire to Freddies, then off to Powells, then finally off to Borders to find Mom's gift.

Those studded tires are FUN! Got a lot of complements on them too! My only complaint... Washboard roads and packed ice walkways are a real workout for the arms, and HELL on my knee.

I want a recumbent trike (outfitted as a snow bike) for just this kinda stuff.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

MrWolf
12-26-2008, 04:12 AM
i ran out to plaid pantry early christmas morning, and the roads just to go bout a mile up the road were horrible and it took me forever. went from 89th, to montery ave, up montery to 92nd, then 92nd down to sunnyside to the plaid pantry located across from the hospital. it was a challenge the whole way and rather not do it again. at one point i road in opposing traffic lane on sunnyside for about a block and half to plaid. made it into the parking lot with no problems, studs gripped anything worth gripping there. got what i was after and i took sunnyside down to clackamas town center, then cut thru the parking lot to get home. just remember, if you go out, be prepared for hell. if possible don't go out, if need be use tri-met or other means of transportation. i would like to see a trike equipped with snow tires.

bubbaPDX
01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Crunchy, slushy ride in to downtown this morning. Manageable, though.
And here comes the sun. It's alright!
Happy New Year!

K'Tesh
01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Crunchy, slushy ride in to downtown this morning. Manageable, though.
And here comes the sun. It's alright!
Happy New Year!

+1 in Beaverton, however I have to add that the Fanno Creek (River) Trail was beautiful today (if you had a mind to do whitewater 'tubin).

I was hoping to head up to the Scholls underpass and take daylight pictures, but ran out of time as I kept having to re-route my commute. I'm guessing that the underpass was more than four feet underwater, but I don't know.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Road conditions are still bad...

Helped my Mom take down her tree and move furniture last night, so she came and picked me up from work. I noticed that the sidewalks and bike lanes on 99W thru Tigard, King City, and Sherwood were completely polluted still. I've seen good parts and bad parts on SW Hall (mostly bad)... and Hwy 217 is also nasty.

I'm not surprised, but still very disappointed.

I still would love to see some huge fines levied against the businesses that fail to shovel/sweep their sidewalks, and the fines be used to get some equipment that could do the job in a faster/more efficient manner.

lacorota
01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Yesterday, the ride from Hollywood to the downtown REI (via Tillamook, Vancouver, Broadway) was relatively benign, with a few accumulations of gravel. Nothing extremely hazardous of note on that stretch, aside from some downtown construction zones.

flying_dutchman
01-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I left home early to take the long way to work and came in along the springwater corridor along the river. Sweet tail wind, Turquoise dawn and no gravel or ejected tire studs. Damn that was fine.

K'Tesh
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I've hopped on it for small segments hoping to find it cleared of all the gravel, but I've been dissappointed.

Today I was running really late, so I was forced to take it to get to work on time. It was every bit as bad today as it has since the snow melted.

I guess, I've got to start taking my morning showers at night. :confused:

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

allisons
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Flash and I had a lovely ride into downtown. A trike ride feels more like fun than transportation - it's nice to have a little recreational ride and then realize I've gotten to class on time.

Took some pictures from the bike - lovely day for January, if a bit chilly. My fingers are still pink :).

jr98664
01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't know how your morning commutes were in Portland, but today in East Vancouver, we had a good amount of black ice. I know at least one cyclist at my high school who went down in the parking lot. Within the first two miles of my ride, I had nearly eaten it every other turn that I made. Once I got on an arterial, (NE 136th Ave) I was riding in the right-hand lane due to unswept gravel, and I begin fishtailing. Thankfully I made it to school unharmed.

I was also nearly hit in a head-on collision. Thankfully it wasn't a car. It was, as we say on the forums, a salmon ninja cyclist. Unlit at 7:00 am and heading the wrong way, I yelled at him after he nearly hit me, only to get cussed out. Then he got the cops called on him. I hope they got him before the black ice did.

lacorota
01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
My 3X weekly commutes from Hollywood district to Tigard, and King City are relatively clear of gravel. I ride the popular Ankeney to dowtown, south on Eastbank Esplande, west on the Sellwood Bridge, up the rather immediate steep hill, and lastly Barbur to 99W.

There were perhaps 4 short stretches along 99W that required detours around the accumulated gravel. Otherwise, it's fine. I sure enjoy that sense of keeping pace with the same cars along those horrible gridlock stretches of 99W. Seems it's always gridlock, aside from midnight to 5am. Light after light, I come to a stop with the same group of vehicles. It pretty much confirms cycling is the same pace with cars, in gridlock conditions.

With the dense fog and cold, multiple layers were the norm.

bobcycle
01-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Yesterday, the ride from Hollywood to the downtown REI (via Tillamook, Vancouver, Broadway) was relatively benign, with a few accumulations of gravel. Nothing extremely hazardous of note on that stretch, aside from some downtown construction zones.
Don't know if you turned from B'way bridge onto LoveJoy ramp (inbound) .... but I do it daily and since the storm of '08 have noticed a large mud layer in bike lane that requires me to slow for the turn. Last summer (or was it fall) I brought a shovel and cleaned it up and am working up the motivation to do it again. I consider this a fairly dangerous hazard as the approach from Broadway bridge is downhill resulting in a fast, sharp turn.

K'Tesh
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
My 3X weekly commutes from Hollywood district to Tigard, and King City are relatively clear of gravel. I ride the popular Ankeney to dowtown, south on Eastbank Esplande, west on the Sellwood Bridge, up the rather immediate steep hill, and lastly Barbur to 99W.

There were perhaps 4 short stretches along 99W that required detours around the accumulated gravel. Otherwise, it's fine. I sure enjoy that sense of keeping pace with the same cars along those horrible gridlock stretches of 99W. Seems it's always gridlock, aside from midnight to 5am. Light after light, I come to a stop with the same group of vehicles. It pretty much confirms cycling is the same pace with cars, in gridlock conditions.

With the dense fog and cold, multiple layers were the norm.

Manageable?

Sorry, but I'm with bobcycle on this... Yesterday I rode from Beaverton to Sherwood on the Fanno Creek Trail, then on 99W.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/3187840989_3d07dc0443.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157612444041710/)
Westbound on 99W through Tigard

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3187829441_8c7d28abf7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157612444041710/)
Ditto

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/3188702198_dd7a625dfb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157612444041710/)
Tualatin River Bridge

You might opt to ride on this if you have puncture resistant tires, but IMHO road tires are not the way to go yet (unless you like hugging the fog line), as you can see, the sidewalks are still a problem too as you can see in this recent picture taken out by the RR crossing on SW Hall in Tigard...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3188761048_fb61e06c19.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/sets/72157612444041710/)

How long do we have to wait until bikes are treated as legitimate transportation and not toys? How long until things change and serious steps are taken to allow nonmotorized persons access to the right of ways that are our right to use?

K'Tesh

lacorota
01-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Clear like mid-summer, indeed not. However, I made my way back from Tigard today, via the zoo, and had no issues requiring medication. The only hazard today, was a volley of busted whiskey bottles on a stretch of the Fanno Creek path. My partner flipped off trail avoiding them at the last minute.

Guess I spent too many years commuting Hood River, Wasco, and other impoverished (thanks, Dubya) Oregon counties. Different scene out that way: cycled narrow shoulders and dodged pot-holes the size of a Volkswagen, routinely. Bad, rim-bending stuff, for sure.

The sloppiest days commuting Portland beats stellar days in places I've lived, worked, and biked before (blue collar towns). To be sure, I'll be all smiles once they get the lanes buffed out around here (when?). Regionally, I've had more safety related issues with busted glass on the groomed asphalt paths than I've had with debris in the bike lanes. Spent my fair share of hours sweeping, too.

Moreover, compared to the hazards of my nightly cycling commutes -- I work swing shift-- home from 181st and N.E. Sandy to Hollywood, the gravel is my lesser concern. Pending the night, some of my work commutes through the "hoods" are pretty nerve shattering when the gang-bangers drive by tossing vulgur slurs, trash, and who knows what else.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
How long do we have to wait until bikes are treated as legitimate transportation and not toys? How long until things change and serious steps are taken to allow nonmotorized persons access to the right of ways that are our right to use?

A very good question. Perhaps the single most important question for those of us who use bicycles as transportation.

However long it is going to be, it will be a shorter period of time if more people do what K'Tesh does when he rides. He's an example for everyone.

allisons
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
The sloppiest days commuting Portland beats stellar days in places I've lived, worked, and biked before (blue collar towns).

Interesting perspective - I generally prefer roads outside of Portland because they tend to have so much less traffic. Maybe that's because my rides outside Portland rarely have much to do with getting from Point A to Point B and I can be more flexible with routes....but I get super tired of the need to pop in and out of the parking lane or wondering whether or not the cross traffic will see me and yield as proper, etc.

But this morning, my right of way was stolen by a fellow pedal-power. (Guy on SE 7th and Salmon, I shake my finger at you!) I think it's just a question of population density.

Dillon
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Nothing wrong with a little Vitamin G. Sure I have to go slower in a few sections and take the lane in a few, big deal. It's winter people deal with it, and just be glad they don't use salt. I think ODOT or whoever is doing a fine job.

lacorota
01-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Interesting perspective - I generally prefer roads outside of Portland because they tend to have so much less traffic. Maybe that's because my rides outside Portland rarely have much to do with getting from Point A to Point B and I can be more flexible with routes....but I get super tired of the need to pop in and out of the parking lane or wondering whether or not the cross traffic will see me and yield as proper, etc.

But this morning, my right of way was stolen by a fellow pedal-power. (Guy on SE 7th and Salmon, I shake my finger at you!) I think it's just a question of population density.

Yes, the darting in-and-out of parking lanes can get tricky. Perhaps that's why I find Portland commuting such a relief. Dedicated bike lanes at minimum provide a sense of presence for the cyclist, whereas without lanes the side margins can be up for grabs. The dedicated lanes aren't a substitute for caution and consideration of one's perhiphery, but they seem to delineate us from the "others."

lacorota
01-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Gravel and downed branches were not only abundant, but nearly prohibited any bike lane use between L. Oswego and Tualatin yesterday. I'm curious about the gravel situation . . . do the street cleaner machines need special attachments to clean the margins and lanes, or, is there just lack of time and funding to sweep them? Guess I've been hugging those fog lines and straying into the auto lanes more than I figured. Yesterday, my partner said I was in the auto lane avoiding gravel most the time.

bobcycle
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow! What to my wondering eyes would appear... but a lovely LoveJoy ramp bike lane that was oh so clear! So thanks to the city ( I assume they did it) the thick slippery mud that was in the bike lane from Broadway Bridge to LoveJoy off ramp is gone. No gravel, no Mud. Good Job! So who do I owe a cup of coffe to for that one? I cannot express how greatful I am for whomever was responsible.

biciclero
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
2: Number of drivers I have "pulled over" with my flashing headlight.

This happened for a second time (first time was late Summer '08 ) the other night. I was in the left lane of a one-way, using the whole lane in slow traffic. Person driving SUV in front of me pulls to the left and stops, apparently for no reason. There is no parking lane at the location, so they were just stopped in the traffic lane. After waiting for some time for them to get going again, I finally had to pull around on the right and pass them. Since I had had that reaction to my headlight in the past, I assumed they thought I was some kind of bike cop. Does everyone know that unless the lights are red and blue, there is no reason to think they are cop lights?

K'Tesh
01-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Can't upload the pics from here, but I did take them with the intention of doing a panoramic version.

I'm still finding myself not riding as much as I'd like due to the gravel issues, things here in Washington County are moving IMHO way to slow when it comes to bike issues.

So, are you still riding, or is it only me?
K'Tesh

hemp22
01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
still been riding when I can - although it's been awfully chilly in the mornings.
Some time midweek this week, Cornell Rd received a second sweeping - so now the bike lanes are even cleaner than they were after the county first swept them a couple weeks ago. But that's the only road that seems to be really clean yet that I've noticed.
If you have particular bike lanes that you're concerned about, try emailing the county to ask them to prioritize those. www.wc-roads.com

Cyberman2
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Has anyone tried reporting this to the city as a nuisance? I don't have much gravel on my route, but I did have a problem with blackberry bushes at one time. I reported the problem and within 2 weeks it was cleaned up and has not been allowed to reoccur.

K'Tesh
01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Has anyone tried reporting this to the city as a nuisance? I don't have much gravel on my route, but I did have a problem with blackberry bushes at one time. I reported the problem and within 2 weeks it was cleaned up and has not been allowed to reoccur.

Umm... Which City?

jr98664
01-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I found this rather humorous.

On Inauguration Day, I went to high school dressed in my Barack Obama mask:
http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v224/942/105/n1103478943_857.jpg

I rode to school in it, waving at everyone I passed, much to either people's excitement or else just complete bewilderment. I did the same riding home. I was actually surprised that some Republican didn't try and run me over in his pickup truck. ;)

I'm talking with the police officer stationed at Mountain View High School about the middle schooler that had been hit on Wednesday near Wy'east Middle School, when he tells me that there had actually been a 911 call about me on Tuesday while I was riding home. Apparently someone wasn't too pleased about me riding perfectly legally in the right lane of Mill Plain Boulevard. They called to complain that I was blocking traffic, nevermind the fact that I average about the same speeds once you throw traffic lights into the equation. With nothing else to go on, the described me as a guy on a bike dressed as Barack Obama. Of course, the school resource officer had seen me that day, and when he heard the call go out, he put the kibosh on it, probably saving me from being pulled over. I guess it pays to know your police officers.

Psyfalcon
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Almost bit it, hard.

Came around a corner on Hewitt and found the entire road covered in ice. Not even the normal tire track clearings. Wobbled both ways before keeping it up and riding off into the soft snow/leaf shoulder, where I walked to the end of the ice patch. I was not about to attempt the slight curve in the road.

26 is mostly cleared though.

Haven_kd7yct
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
To the rider going down (up? Northbound) Upper Boones just past Findlay Rd at 7:59am:

You, sir, rock.

Way more courage than I have!! :) You looked like you were having fun. :)

K'Tesh
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Wake up, check outside, clear parking lot, dry cars... Take shower, get ready for work, watch the weather on TV (yeah, I know, kill my TV...).

Grab bike, and head outside, now everything is covered in a fine layer of icy pellets, and more is coming down. Get to the Fanno Creek Trail, and all the undriven roads are white...

Trail is covered in white, grass and trees are still (mostly) bare.

Mostly a fun ride in, but the frozen rain stung a little, and I had to be careful breathing, as occasionally one pellet would get sucked in... painfully similar to breathing in an insect... cough cough cough hack hack hack...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

LESTER
01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Awesome ride today. A little bit of snow atop dry pavement. If the weatherman's correct about 40 degree temps this afternoon, I shouldn't need the studded tire.

I got out the door halfway down to the road when I spotted 2 kiddie bikes in the dumpster, returned to the apartment for a Crescent wrench and back down to the dumpster to remove the front wheels for future trailer use. I'd rather they were 12s instead of 16s, but beggars can't be choosers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3231971356_a91bedce90.jpg?v=1233076778 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesterofpuppets/3231971356/)

Once out on the road (well, I rode sidewalk most of the way, actually), it was easy going, just a light dusting of snow - 1/2" leaving home, about 3/4" arriving at work, and still coming down.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3231971678_804d2e4f86.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesterofpuppets/3231971678/)

Michelin Country Rock 26x1.75" worked great in these conditions. I looks like they already put some more gravel down on HWY 99 between Minehaha and 78th Street. Maybe they'll sweep the bike lanes soon???? Luckily I can avoid HWY 99 altogether on my commute. My main road is 78th street, which was swept almost immediately after the last thaw and I can sub in Hazel Dell, which never got heavily sanded, for HWY 99.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3231972484_9d4d6e2736.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesterofpuppets/3231972484/)