PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me rollers please?

12-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could recommend me a pretty good entry level roller for training indoors? And and good LBS around here that might carry them? Thanks!

Psyfalcon
12-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Secondly, how about decent but on a student budget rollers? Or even a trainer?

PDXGS
12-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Rollers and stationary trainers are for two different types of training. Rollers train you to ride with a smooth linear motion at a high cadence and really condition your sense of balanace. A stationary trainer is for aerobic exercise with no balance and little cadence training. Ride rollers for a few weeks for 30 minutes a day and you'll become a more efficient, proficient cyclist. Hands down the best training for riding efficiently and for being able to hold a straight line. Learning to ride rollers is a test in and of itself. A thick rope tied around a strong beam overhead that you can reach for and a set of bars or boxes on each side make learning a bit easier when things go sideways!
As for brands....There are several brands of rollers but only one worth buying. Al Kreitler Rollers. Crap rollers are not worth the effort or $$.
Scour the country for a set on sale or used. They're not cheap but there's no roller as well made or smooth riding. Kreitler also makes a front whell stand and a resistance unit (fan blower) that can convert rollers into a stationary trainer. As for trianer brands I'v ehad good experience with the Trek/Blackburn units. Again don't go cheap. Either find a good quality set on Craig's List or save your $$ until you can afford quality.
Just my $.02...worth everything you've paid for it!
Cheers,
Jorge

12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Thank Jorge! I'll be looking to that brand. And yes, I would rather spend the money up front than getting something that doesn't work as well and end up wasting more money. Cheers!