PDA

View Full Version : Westside, Quadrantids night ride..

K'Tesh
12-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Ok folks, I host the UFObike... it was inevitable that I try to start something like this...

The next meteor shower is the Quadrantids (http://resources.wardsci.com/resources-and-tips/the-quadrantid-meteor-shower/) peaks on Friday, January 4, 2008.

Viewing weather permitting, we'll meet Friday night, Midnight, at the Beaverton Transit Center (I'll be the one with the Glowing Blue Bike).

We'll Bike South on Lombard until we get to Denny Rd.
Left on Denny till we reach the beginning of the Fanno Creek Trail
Follow the Fanno Creek Trail until we reach the baseball Diamond Near Fowler Middle School (past SW Tigard St, and before SW Tiedeman)...

Prepare for cold, wet, muddy conditions at the site, bring snacks, warm drinks, good lights and a helmet... A sense of wonder is also recommended...

Following the watching, proceed back on the path to SW Scholls Ferry Rd. Go East on SW Scholls Ferry Rd to Denny's Restaurant (Corner of SW Scholls Ferry Rd, and the Hwy 217 NB onramp) for first breakfast (Perhaps I have a bit of Hobbit in me).

After breakfast, we'll proceed downhill on Hall Blvd to the Fanno Creek Trail, up the trail to Denny.
Then Left on Denny to Lombard, and Back to the Beaverton Transit Center... I've Mapped this route on Gmaps (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1508843).

OR...

We can take the NB Hwy 217 onramp and use Hwy 217 to get back to Beaverton Transit. (I was able to ride in the fast lane back during the last meteor shower due to the lack of traffic)

Plan on me trying to get something like this going for Lunar Eclipses (Feb 21, 2008 ), and other Astronomical phenomena

Despite all that's happened, Things are Looking UP :D (2007 is nearly over)
K'Tesh

(It looks like I'll be able to attend, I originally posted this late at night and couldn't do calendar math to figure out when I'll be going to the coast to help my Grandfather w/cleanup of his house... (he had a tree come thru the bedroom during the December 2, 2007 storm))

Simple Nature
12-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Indeed, K'Tesh... 2007 was a trial in motion for many of us. I've seen more than my share of the E.R. as well. But despite all the setbacks, riding pedal powered is a great release. Here's to '08!

Have a wonderful holiday!

the Wumpus
12-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Things are Looking UP :D

Glee! Star Hustler flashback!

I can't make out for the Quadrantids, but that eclipse might be doable. I've always wanted to combine bicycling and astronomy somehow.

Keep looking up!

K'Tesh
12-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll be going out Midnight Friday (ie Saturday Morning)...

I work on Friday, so I can't Go out...

But the Meteor Shower peaks on Thursday night/Friday morning if I read the info correctly...

NUTZ!!! Sorry about the Confusion!
Meet Friday Night Midnight... Not Thursday Night...

Keep Looking up!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Well, I went out, just in case someone else was willing to brave the weather (clouds, rain, gale force winds...).

It was a lonely 1/2 hour.

My ride was a soggy couple of blocks... Makes me wish that I bought that wetsuit.

My suggestion to anybody who bikes the metro area in winter, make sure you know how to swim. ;)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh