PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Tait
12-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I think I'm at a point where I should (and can probably afford to) get insurance. I don't own a car or motorcycle, but I want uninsured motorist coverage, personal injury protection, and it'd probably be wise to have liability coverage in case I accidentally mow down some pedestrian (not that I plan to!) or an accident is found to be my fault.

I've tried calling automobile insurance companies to request this type of coverage, and to date all I've gotten in reply is "Huh?" Has anyone who doesn't also have automotive coverage done this? Where did you get coverage? How did you explain what you wanted so the insurer understood?

And most importantly, who provides your coverage and what has been your experience with them? I'd like to get a recommendation or two on good providers.

K'Tesh
12-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Me too, I've tried and failed...

However, for $1000-$1200/yr, I could get insurance that would have given me my own insurance in *ANYBODY'S* car... I felt that that was a bit overkill, since *ANYBODY'S* car would have it's own, should I drive it...

(I didn't shell out for it)

Ray Thomas has been on this one for some time now.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
You should check with your insurance agent for your homeowner's or renter's insurance.

You do carry homeowner's or renter's insurance, yes? :)

Anyhow, they may be able to help you out. I don't have this problem because I've got a car that I've got insurance on, and my agent says I'm covered with that insurance when I ride.

nuovorecord
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Check out www.betterworldclub.com. This "green" alternative to AAA offers "pay as you drive" auto insurance, which might be a more cost-effective way to insure yourself.

Plus, they offer other benefits to cyclists, including roadside assistance! They have a cyclist-only membership category.

true
12-20-2007, 12:59 PM
That's the first I've heard of the Better World Club - thanks Nuovorecord.

Under the bicycle only category I see 24/7 roadside assistance (interesting, but how often do you need that?) and a whole bunch of schwag. I don't see anything about liability coverage, medical, or anything else.

Did I miss something?

K'Tesh
12-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Haven kd7ycd,

I've got renter's insurance... but when a motor vehicle is involved, it is concidered a MVA (Motor Vehicle Accident), and renter's don't touch them...

You need to own a car and have Insurance on it to get insurance in Oregon, or pay that crazy amount for driving *ANYBODY'S* car.

Doesn't it seem surreal that you can buy Alien Abduction Insurance (http://www.ufo2001.com/), but you can't get automotive insurance unless you actually own a car? :confused:

Peace (and Long Life)
K'Tesh

nuovorecord
12-21-2007, 08:51 AM
That's the first I've heard of the Better World Club - thanks Nuovorecord.

Under the bicycle only category I see 24/7 roadside assistance (interesting, but how often do you need that?) and a whole bunch of schwag. I don't see anything about liability coverage, medical, or anything else.

Did I miss something?

Sorry, I was hasty and not clear in my post. What I was thinking is that by getting a pay as you drive auto insurance policy, maybe it would cost less than a standard auto policy? I haven't done the research to see if this is in fact true...just pointing folks to another possible option.

Not to drag this conversation off topic, but I just have to say that this is a prime example of why I think we need single payer, govt.-issued health coverage in this country! No, it doesn't cover liability situation addressed in the OP, but the odds of a cyclist severely injuring another person are pretty slight. The odds of the cyclist getting injured are...well, we all know way too much about that. :( But if we were in Canada or most of Europe, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Haven_kd7yct
12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Ha, K-tesh, you are correct. I was confusing my "insuring the bikes in case something happened (as in, a tree falls on the house and lands on the one room housing all the bikes)" with "insuring the bikes when you ride them (as in, here we are riding down Terwilliger and are involved in some sort of crash)" scenarios.

Alien Abduction Insurance, are you kidding??? I always knew insurance was a racket, but that takes the cake! :)

That "pay as you go" auto insurance thing sounds nice, but how good is it?

And for the "24/7 roadside assistance"... I would assume that means if you're out on a Sunday early morning ride and something happens like you develop a large crack in your frame or your bike becomes otherwise broken, you can call them and they'd come out. Or if you're making a long haul and it's practically the middle of the night and something like the above happens, they'd come out and help. I wonder what the assistance entails, though?

emerson
01-19-2008, 08:20 PM
As far as I know, you can't purchase pay-as-you-go insurance in Oregon or Washington.

drosen
01-20-2008, 07:29 AM
It sounds like you need a personal liability insurance policy, if you're not going to be driving a car at all. That would be different, I would imagine, than a renter's or homeowner's insurance policy. I have a personal liability plan since I'm a teacher. It's an umbrella policy that covers me for a million dollars in case of some injury caused by negligence on my part. Look into that.

agramsci
01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
It sounds like you need a personal liability insurance policy, if you're not going to be driving a car at all. That would be different, I would imagine, than a renter's or homeowner's insurance policy. I have a personal liability plan since I'm a teacher. It's an umbrella policy that covers me for a million dollars in case of some injury caused by negligence on my part. Look into that.

I think that would be nice if YOU cause injuries to another, but it sounds like it won't help you if they cause injury to you, and are uninsured or underinsured-- the probability of the latter of which happening is liable to increase appreciably thanks to Gov. Kulongoski's decision to flood Oregon roads with thousands of new uninsured motorists (http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/11/368618.shtml)