PDA

View Full Version : Any one know of a good place to sell a bike besides Ebay or Craigslist?

artizin
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm trying to sell my mountain bike anywhere but Craigslist or ebay... anyone know of some othe avenues?

true
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
If you're looking to make profit money off of it, then I don't know, but if you're looking to replace it anyway, Citybikes might be good for trade. I traded up there years and years ago. My trade-in bike took a good chunk off of the new (used) bike I got, and that bike has held up remarkably, despite years of use and abuse, daily commutes, longer rides, and touring. I would imagine any of the several options besides Citybikes would be good as well. For just selling with an eye to good money, I don't know what would be better than ebay. Craigslist is a great idea, but is so sketchy for bikes - it's a shame.

artizin
12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah c-list can be sketchy. I've heard soo many horror stories.. I have my bike posted there ... Specialized epic marathon... my racing steed. Because of C-lists sketchyness i've gotten like no replies to my ad. I'm just frustrated...

wsbob
12-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Geez artizin, I checked out your CL ad...not in the market for such bike, but $3000 is a chunk of change. Probably worth it, but most of the bikes for sale on CL are much cheaper. I imagine most people looking on that site for bikes are looking for cheaper rather than high end bikes, which is probably more likely why you're not getting bites, rather than craigslist being sketchy, which it can be. Your ad doesn't read like an ad for a stolen bike.

Last week some dude listed a 2002 specialized stumper with one of those frames sort of like yours for $125, he said, down from $600, but then I saw a slightly newer, similar bike on CL for $800, so I figured something was funny about the deal.

There probably is better sites to list high end bikes, but I don't have a ready answer. I used to know this crazy asian kid. This guy was basically a bike collector. Had 25 or so high end bikes in a little bitty studio apartment. the best; composite frames, zipp wheels, exclusive racing bikes, and more I can't even list. He'd bought them all through ads listed in a bike enthusiast journal or maybe some other online site. This was 6-7 years ago though.

artizin
12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Well Bob.... Geez :rolleyes: I know it's totally expensive but totally worth it to somebody. And I'm not sure if portland is the area for selling a high end xc mountain bike. Everyone I talk to seems to be a roadie. I just want to find it a good home and not take a huge loss on it. I might have to ebay it.
I wish I knew your friend from 6-7 years ago.. Thanks for your input.

Porter
12-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Sellwood Cycle Repair in SE (um Sellwood...) sells bikes on consignment.

Check out http://www.sellwoodcycle.com/ for details. They definately take the 'sketch' out of selling since they are dilligent about making sure a bike is not stolen. Also, they definately know a bikes worth. One of the proprieters is Erik Tonkin who is also a pro mountain & Cyclocrosser (rides for Kona).

Thanks,
Porter

wrinkles
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
My advice to artizin would be to wait until spring if you can. This is a terrible time of year to be trying to sell a bike of any kind. I pulled a bike off CL recently when it became apparent that it wasn't going to move. I will repost in the spring.
One other idea: I recently stumbled onto a mountain bike forum (nationwide) where you could post stuff for sale. Sorry, don't have the URL.

artizin
12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah I found a few of the online bike classified sites... most of the ads were from like a few years ago.... So I guess I'll wait till spring. Thanks for all your input folks. But I live in Sellwood so I'll also check in with Sellwood cycle repair. The catch is with consignment sales... not the commission... is that right now I only have my "one" bike. So if my bike is on display in Sellwood. I'm without a ride. I'll figure something out.