PDA

View Full Version : Park Way at Cedar Hills Middle School (Bvtn)

lynnef
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
heading east on Park Way, shortly before 6pm last night, passing the
middle school, I was almost struck by a driver turning right out of
the school (almost on top of me!), and not looking to see if anyone
was coming first. Fortunately, I slowed, because it looked like she wasn't going to stop (there is a stop sign at the school parking lot exit)

I can't believe she did NOT see my very bright
headlights - one solid, one flashing. So I do not think she looked.
She did apologize. I asked her to really look next time.

Plus I sent an email to the school principal; there should be a
notice in the next home-going newsletter with a pointer to the And We Bike campaign AND an encouragement to all parents and staff to STOP AND LOOK before exiting the parking lot.

Let's Bike
11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Sorry to hear about your scare.

Your close call sounds very similar to mine (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1327). It seems that a lot of people in the suburbs don't look when they pull out from a driveway.

BTW, do you mean Cedar Park Middle School?

lynnef
11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Right, Cedar Park MS... My kids went there long enough; you'd think I'd get it right.

Side lighting wouldn't have applied in this situation. I slowed when it was pretty clear the driver was not stopping. If I'd kept up my paltry 10 -11 mph, I would have been hit. I did get to yell "HEY!", which DID get her attention.

We decided this morning that she probably drove home with a lot of "what ifs" and "I'd better really stop and LOOK" running through her head. Or I can hope.

<Plug for stopping at all stop signs> It causes me to really look. I roll up and stop, then look. Especially in Cedar Hills - some corners have a lot of obscuring shrubbery. Plus bicycles are dead silent. There have been some zipping in from the left on their through streets!

t27
11-29-2007, 06:28 PM
I ride past Hiteon School in Beaverton nearly every day and people pulling in and out without looking is common. I sent an e-mail to the school principal suggesting a reminder in the news letter but didnít get any response. I have now contacted the Beaverton police and waiting to see if they are interested in helping with the problem. It is sad that those who drive their kids to school are creating a barrier for those who would rather walk or ride a bike.

Camel
12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Back east I found "soccer Mom/Dad" drivers to be the most in-attentive. I'd allways take extra care when I noticed a parent with a car/van load of kids.

I'm sure they are not bad drivers intentionally, just a bit sensory overwhelmed at the moment when I'd see them do really stupid things.

lynnef
12-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Another fine attraction of Cedar Park Middle School - the athletic fields are in use as practice fields for softball, baseball, soccer and football. The parents pull right off the road onto the grass area in front of the sidewalk (lots of room to do that; we used to do it, too, back when our kids were in that phase).

BUT THEY DON'T LOOK WHEN THEY BACK OUT!

I'm always on high alert during that stretch of road.