PDA

View Full Version : jobs

FixForLife
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
i was thinking that it might be a good idea to have a forum for bike shops and courier services and any other bike related job to list any openings they have. personally i would rather be on my bike or working on them all day then to do anything else!

Got_Dirt?
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I agree I miss biking, and well my currently job well...... sucks bolts I rather be working on them or riding mine for work.

HarshPlanet5
04-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks to Jonathan for adding the new classifieds/Jobs forum....

...... and my first post credit! : )

PDXGS
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
For all of you waxing/waning nostalgic about working on bikes for a living...you remind me of people at the renaissance fair who romanticize about how good in was back in the day...forgetting that most people were dead before 35 and most people were covered in filth!
It's hard work and usually pays pretty poorly considering the knowledge and responsibility that working on bikes requires.
While working in the cycling industry can be rewarding in it's own way having a job that allows one to walk into a shop and purchase what one wants/needs is also nice...and then there's the health insurance....and having Saturday off....and the Fred factor....and being able to eat something more than Ramen and still pay the rent....

Aw nevermind...have fun working on bikes!

mizake
03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
For all of you waxing/waning nostalgic about working on bikes for a living...you remind me of people at the renaissance fair who romanticize about how good in was back in the day...forgetting that most people were dead before 35 and most people were covered in filth!
While working in the cycling industry can be rewarding in it's own way having a job that allows one to walk into a shop and purchase what one wants/needs is also nice...and then there's the health insurance....and having Saturday off....and the Fred factor....and being able to eat something more than Ramen and still pay the rent....

Aw nevermind...have fun working on bikes!

i'm pretty sure most faire attendees throw themselves upon their swords at 35, after rolling in pig shit.

PDXGS
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
i'm pretty sure most faire attendees throw themselves upon their swords at 35, after rolling in pig shit.

"I'm not dead"

maxadders
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't know how shops can get away with paying entry-level mechanics $10/hour. Even feel-good places like the CCC do this. $10/hr is NOT a living wage in this town!

For all the skill and knowledge it takes to diagnose and repair problems (as well as deal with customers), $10 or $11 an hour is an insult. You can get any number of low-skill temp jobs in clerical or light manufacturing for more than that.

There's no reason to be a mechanic unless it's your passion. I love working on my own bikes, but you'd have to pay me way more than that sort of chump change to work on anyone else's.

mizake
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
"I'm not dead"

"i think i'll go for a walk"