PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Globe?

agramsci
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Anyone own or have informed opinions about the Specialized Globe? It's one of the few explicitly "commuter bikes" on the market now, complete with such standard amenities as internally routed lighting system, fenders, chainguard, etc. They are selling it at River City.

artizin
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
which level of the globe were you going to get....? at the high end your paying for the carbon fork and seat stays.... but for the price I would expect at least some mechanical disc brakes... Personally for the Portland winters with the rain and everything... I'd prefer to have disk brakes.

if I were you I'd check out the Trek Soho series.... my fav.. the 3.0 they don't have the carbon fork or seatstays... but it has front and rear discs standard on all models... the geometry is nice... I would just test ride either and see what you prefer..

there's my 2 cents.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Since we're giving recommendations, for what it's worth, I love my Trek Portland. It has a great ride, great stance, carbon forks, mechanical disc brakes, and will accept fenders and racks. Last month, I wrecked it at ~25mph and it was totally fine. In fact, I love it so much that when I get some money I'm going to have a Portland builder make me a titanium frame based on its design.

Thorlak
11-26-2007, 09:26 PM
...that the Portland is a super handsome bike. Wanted to buy one myself before going vintage French steel.

artizin
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I'll admit the Trek Portland is an awesome bike. right now they have an orange one at a certain nw 10th bike shop for around 1600... kinda pricey.But I'd love to get one.... I just have to wait for my tax return... and if you can afford a titanium pardon the phrase " knock off " then you go right ahead. I'm sure it will be sweet from a local builder... you can even customize it a little more.

artizin
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Attornatus_Oregonensis, how long have you had your portland? would you recommend it as a general use road bike on top of being a commuter? I'm really seriously pondering getting rid of my racing mountain bike and getting a road bike and the portland seems like a good idea... mainly because of the disc brakes. But any input would be great.

lynnef
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
A co-worker just got one to use for commuting AND touring. He likes the disc brakes. His other bike is a hot road bike.

vseven
11-29-2007, 05:00 AM
There were several Portlands on Cycle Oregon 2006 and 2007 so I guess that speaks to the touring purpose in addition to commuting.

Love mine as well, mostly commute on it, the fenders that come with it are so cute but in reality, rather wimpy :)

elk
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a Globe..it's a Comp, the one with the 8 IG... and I love it. It's a truck, yet nimble and pretty fast. The price at River City was also really really good.

I also have a road bike. I use my Globe in bad weather and on roads/paths trails that are a little rough. It's my pal....

It was released in the UK long before we got it....so all the reviews I found are from over there..