PDA

View Full Version : Do Trees Count?

K'Tesh
11-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I can't count the number of times I've have to duck for trees/roses/blackberries...

I cut them back if I can... Call Code Services if I can't.

Oh, and Bad Sidewalks! How about rotted or heaved sidewalks?

erth64net
11-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I can't count the number of times I've have to duck for trees/roses/blackberries...

I cut them back if I can... Call Code Services if I can't.

Oh, and Bad Sidewalks! How about rotted or heaved sidewalks?

I hear ya. Even on the bike boulevards, at about SE 40th, the boulevard turns north for a block, and then goes eastbound again. On that turn from the northbound street to the eastbound street, there's a bunch of nasty roots breaking through the street; makes for a treacherous turn every time. And to say nothing about all the potholes all over these side streets...

Though, as for the tree branches, get a recumbent, and you don't have to duck anymore :D

K'Tesh
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Problem is, One of my friends is blind...

Before I watched him very nearly walk face first into a tree branch on a tree that the city had just planted, I did like everybody else, I ducked and went on my way. When I watched him rip that branch off that tree (and probably killed it cause he peeled half the bark off of it) I realized what I needed to do.

I've been pruning ever since.

Every low branch we prune, every heaved sidewalk we get fixed makes it easier for someone else just get around.

erth64net
11-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Awwww, my joke was lost in the ether... :(

Seriously though, even on a recumbent, I've had my share of close encounters. I've often considered stopping, but thought such pruning could be construed as some form of vandalism, so I've always hesitated. Especially since some folks will claim that pruned branches need that goop put on the "open wound" (sorry, it's late, and I cant remember the name).

Any quick links/answers to those questions?

K'Tesh
11-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Sorry about being a Kill Joy

I usually just cut and run (I think of myself as a Civic Vandal.. vandalizim in the civic minded form).

I don't goop... I just leave the branch on the ground out of the sidewalk... UNLESS ITS A HAWTHORN (or other similar thorny plant) then I've been known to occasionally leave it on the doorstoop of the related property.

Hawthorns are clearly evil, they bring out the worst in me.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission ;)

Haven_kd7yct
11-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Speaking of crappy riding surfaces:

How about Burnham St in Tigard, between Hall and Main? Talk about the WORST riding surface EVER!! I think the City is waiting until they re-do Main St to take care of it; although, it is funny that this is the road the City folks (and City police) have their offices on, and have to drive on...

My least favorite: blackberry canes running across the Fanno Creek trail and the Springwater. And glass in the bike lanes; Tualatin Rd is particularly bad, at least heading out towards 99W.