PDA

View Full Version : Hit on Sandy near Belmont

drewser
11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey,

I was riding in the bike lane on Sandy (SE 7th) on my way downtown to have lunch with my girlfriend. I noticed a ford F150 stopped on a cross street trying to go straight across Sandy. He looked to his right and didn't look left. He didn't see me riding in the bike lane and when I began crossing his path, he pulled out and hit me. His grill hit me in the left thigh and sent me tumbling. I was pretty sore for two days after but am fine now. I'm thankful that it wasn't much worse.

Thank you to all who helped in this incident. The car behind the truck who hit me immediately called the police and asked me if I needed an ambulance. There were two cyclist riding behind me that helped me pull my bike off the road and acted as my advocates when the police arrived as I was pretty dazed after the impact. The officer who arrived on the scene did a very thorough investigation and recommended citing the driver for not clearing himself before crossing the intersection. The driver was very apologetic and called me yesterday to make sure I was ok.

I'm still a bit skiddish on my bike. I am much more away of cross streets and will assume that people don't see me if they are trying to pull out into traffic or crossing the street I'm riding on. Thankfully my bike was fine after the accident. The brake levers were bent in and needed adjusting and I needed new grip tape but there wasn't a scratch on the frame and the front and rear wheel were still relatively true (front was a bit out of true).

I wish all of you safe riding and encourage everyone to be hyper-aware when riding in busy traffic areas.

Peace:)

agramsci
11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Drewser:
Consider getting yourself a horn like this:
http://tinyurl.com/26ahpw,
You can pick one up locally from Dan Kauffman at www.crankmychain.com

Keep your thumb on the button while going through intersections or past driveways or other highway entrances where inattentive motorists may be lurking. It will decrease your stress level to have a means of communication and grabbing their attention even when they are not looking! And it will increase your safety, too.

Hey,

I was riding in the bike lane on Sandy (SE 7th) on my way downtown to have lunch with my girlfriend. I noticed a ford F150 stopped on a cross street trying to go straight across Sandy. He looked to his right and didn't look left. He didn't see me riding in the bike lane and when I began crossing his path, he pulled out and hit me. His grill hit me in the left thigh and sent me tumbling. I was pretty sore for two days after but am fine now. I'm thankful that it wasn't much worse.

Thank you to all who helped in this incident. The car behind the truck who hit me immediately called the police and asked me if I needed an ambulance. There were two cyclist riding behind me that helped me pull my bike off the road and acted as my advocates when the police arrived as I was pretty dazed after the impact. The officer who arrived on the scene did a very thorough investigation and recommended citing the driver for not clearing himself before crossing the intersection. The driver was very apologetic and called me yesterday to make sure I was ok.

I'm still a bit skiddish on my bike. I am much more away of cross streets and will assume that people don't see me if they are trying to pull out into traffic or crossing the street I'm riding on. Thankfully my bike was fine after the accident. The brake levers were bent in and needed adjusting and I needed new grip tape but there wasn't a scratch on the frame and the front and rear wheel were still relatively true (front was a bit out of true).

I wish all of you safe riding and encourage everyone to be hyper-aware when riding in busy traffic areas.

Peace:)

K'Tesh
11-13-2007, 06:20 AM
His grill hit me in the left thigh and sent me tumbling. I was pretty sore for two days after but am fine now. I'm thankful that it wasn't much worse.

Sorry to hear about you getting hit.

I would remind anyone that your injuries might not be immediatly visible... It took 3 weeks for my Dr to get me into a MRI to find torn ligiments... and nearly grabbing the ortho. surgeon by the shirt and telling him to check out my calf... which then found my fibia had been broken too.

If you get hit, go to the ER... they can evaluate you better (despite my experience) perhaps than you can yourself, and the driver's PIP should pay for it.

Please do yourself a favor, attend the BTA's Free Legal Clinic... there's one this Wed. 11/14/7. Get Pedal Power. Protect yourself.

Be Safe out there
K'Tesh