PDA

View Full Version : shoe covers?

geoff
11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I have never used them, so I picked up some cheap shoe covers to see if I liked them.

I used them for the first time this morning, and I noticed that on the foot that put down, the road has already started to chew up the fabric.

For those of you that use them, how do you guys keep this from happening?

brock
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Pearl Izumi makes booties that leave the front and back of the sole exposed, I've even worn them mountain biking. The ones that cover the whole sole or make you cut out where the cleat comes through aren't very well suited for riding where you need to put your foot down a lot.

vseven
11-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I too noticed the pavement nicking up my shoe covers. I put duct tape on the sensitive spots and months later.....it is still working !

wheelaway
11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I have never used them, so I picked up some cheap shoe covers to see if I liked them.

I used them for the first time this morning, and I noticed that on the foot that put down, the road has already started to chew up the fabric.

For those of you that use them, how do you guys keep this from happening?

Gore makes a waterproof shoe cover with a kevlar bottom. You pay more but it's guaranteed for life so should be the last one you'll need.

jwdoom
12-02-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm so over shoe covers. Does anyone have any Answer or Lake or similar cycling boots? Someone who uses the locker room at my building has a pair of
Answers and they look awesome. But I can't freaking figure out where the hell to buy them.

Any ideas?

Or does anyone here work at M Financial Plaza and happen to own these Answers?

lynnef
12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm so over shoe covers. Does anyone have any Answer or Lake or similar cycling boots? Someone who uses the locker room at my building has a pair of
Answers and they look awesome. But I can't freaking figure out where the hell to buy them.

Any ideas?

Or does anyone here work at M Financial Plaza and happen to own these Answers?

I got some of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Mid GTX shoes a couple of weeks ago. I had to guess at the size and special-order them. I'm giving them a tentative thumbs-up. I rode into work today in the downpour; feet are dry. But that's only 20+ minutes. I need a multi-hour wet ride for a full test.

As for finding the owner of those boots - you could leave a note in the locker room.

artizin
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
I just got a pair of Endura shoe covers.. and they're toasty. They're made of neoprene have 3m scotchlite reflective strips on the back where the zipper is and the endura logo in scotchlite on the front. The cool part is the Kevlar fabric bottom which will be really hard to wear out and through... and for $50 not bad considering the Gore Booties with the Kevlar bottom are like $85 right now at Bike Gallery.

jwdoom
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I just got a pair of Endura shoe covers.. and they're toasty. They're made of neoprene have 3m scotchlite reflective strips on the back where the zipper is and the endura logo in scotchlite on the front. The cool part is the Kevlar fabric bottom which will be really hard to wear out and through... and for $50 not bad considering the Gore Booties with the Kevlar bottom are like $85 right now at Bike Gallery.

Rrrrreeeeeeeealy? I like my Endura shorts and I've got a pair of Endura trousers coming into Bike n' Hike that I've got high hopes for, so I'm sold on the company. And I'm having trouble finding the answers (although I finally found answer-products.com, what a stupid company name for the Google age)

You say the "kevlar bottom", is the whole sole covered or are there spaces for cleats?

Where did you get them? Bike Gallery?

vseven
12-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Specialized has some winter cycling boots in their 2008 Catalog, pricey however.

scdurs
12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I have a pair of Performance brand neoprene booties that have a rubber sole and a rear zipper. I've had them for about seven years now and they are holding up great. Keep my feet very dry and warm, even after hosing off the bike, and my feet accidentally. Inexpensive at $39.99, and currently on sale for $24.99 in the latest catalog.

artizin
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Rrrrreeeeeeeealy? I like my Endura shorts and I've got a pair of Endura trousers coming into Bike n' Hike that I've got high hopes for, so I'm sold on the company. And I'm having trouble finding the answers (although I finally found answer-products.com, what a stupid company name for the Google age)

You say the "kevlar bottom", is the whole sole covered or are there spaces for cleats?

Where did you get them? Bike Gallery?

There are two openings at the bottom, if i had them with me I'd attach a photo of them in my post. One hole is where you clips for your pedal attach to your shoe... the hole is as wide as the sole of your shoe basically allowing some tread to hit the ground, so you don't slip. and the other hole is where your heel is... again allowing for tread to hit surface. I've been wearing them for 3 days of commute so far and they're pretty cool. And yes I got them at the Bike Gallery. it says Road overshoe... but they're awsome with my mountian shoes.

this is what they feature... ( I have a lot of time on my hands hear ) but not as much as Ktesh... :rolleyes: : )

High-stretch bonded Neoprene provides waterproofing, warmth and durability

double Kevlar base panel with kevlar stitiching increases life of overshoes.

Reflective on rear of boot for Safety

Rear zip backed by butted neoprene for improved resistance

Auto lock sprung zip puller stays static whilst Cycling.... ( I love the whilst part)

Velcro ankle tab allows adjustable secure fit.

But on another note. I like endura products... some are quite pricey. Like theyre rain pants and coat that they have at the bike Gallery... $299.00 for an Event fabric, waterproof coat... and almost as much for the matching pants. Endura is definately not cheap. I'm eyeing a pair of water proof gloves that they have that are not bulky and suprisingly warm... Basically long story short If I could afford it all I'd get it... I'll just have to settle for booties and gloves for now.

jwdoom
12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
But on another note. I like endura products... some are quite pricey.

I got the Endura booties and they are freaking AWESOME. I picked them up Saturday two weeks ago and wore them for the rest of the night, including a lot of stop and go walking around a bar. The toes didn't pop up once. And they don't particularly look like booties, not like those neoprene ones I wore before.

The one caution I'd give for someone considering purchasing these is you will lose a bit of traction. But I was just wearing a pair of Airwalks, not the greatest tread. If you're wearing mountain bike shoes (which they're designed for) you should be fine.

And my Endura Singletrack trousers came in, I fully expect them to be just as great as my Singletrack shorts. I'm getting over a chest cold, so I haven't been riding in a while, but I'm looking forward to rolling through some rain now that I've got my weather gear sorted out.

jwdoom
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I got the Endura booties and they are freaking AWESOME.

Watch me backpedal. The damn things broke! The third time I wore them the zipper separated on one and today the tab that closes over the zipper came right off the same one! What a piece of crap.

And the pants I was so excited to get? Not even marginally water resistant. After riding from Seven Corners to 2nd & Yamhill on Sunday in moderate rain, I got a beer and the bill I handed to the bartender was soaked. And they didn't even keep me warm. I'd be better off riding in jeans. Today I wore a Columbia base layer under them so at least I wasn't cold. Seriously, ten minutes into my ride and my legs are wet. Worthless. My polyester work pants I had on when I rode to lunch performed better.

I'm pretty disgusted with Endura right now. Hopefully Bike n Hike will take care of me with the booties, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with these pants. I'm not yet sure if the material is crap or if the water is seeping in through the vent zipper that's positioned right on top of my leg. This might turn out to be a total waste of $120.

wsbob
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't know anything about those fancy 'waterproof pants' jwdoom, but you must know about the basic laws of physics relative to how dry it's possible to be, riding in Oregon's wonderful winter rain. There isn't a chance was there, that you were wet because you were riding like a wild hog pursued by a pack of hungry natives?

I'm kind of wussing it out these days as far as the rain is concerned, but when I was riding all-weather, what I did with my money/billfold to keep it dry, was put it in a plastic produce bag and stow it in my seat pack. Problem solved. As for the rest of me, the word 'dry' wasn't even in the vocabulary. True, it wasn't as though my body had a creek running over it as I rode along. I eliminated the major water flow, but I was always wet, pretty much everywhere, all the time it was raining. But...I was warm.

A terrestrial wet-suit seems like a reasonable way to describe good Oregon winter rain wear for biking. I don't think I would have ever have stopped for a beer under those circumstances unless it came with a couple hours in a nice lodge with a sauna and a place to dry out the clothes before the ride home. As it was, I had to settle for outa the house...ride with a reinvigorating zest for life....then back to the shack for a nice hot shower. And that was always good enough really, not that a few adornments and embellishments on that routine wouldn't have been appreciated from time to time.