PDA

View Full Version : Legal question - Moving out of bike lane to pass

heavyj
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know what the law says with regards to moving out of the bike lane to pass another cyclist?

Schrauf
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Without bothering to look up or cite code, basically you are so supposed to stay in the bike lane, when there is a bike lane, as long as it is safe to do so.

Definitely you are allowed to take the car lane if necessary for your safety - if there are obstacles in the bike lane, potential doors opening, a need to pass a slower cyclist on their left, you need to avoid a potential right-hook, you need to turn left, etc.

Obviously taking the car lane should involve looking back and not pulling out in front of a fast-moving vehicle. However, if you have already taken the car lane and a car approaches and the driver is angry you are in their way - screw them, you have a right to remain there until it is safe to pull back into the bike lane.

bikieboy
10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
HJ, here's the Oregon Revised Statute regarding bike lanes in all its glory ---
enjoy!

814.420 Failure to use bicycle lane or path; exceptions; penalty. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, a person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle lane or path if the person operates a bicycle on any portion of a roadway that is not a bicycle lane or bicycle path when a bicycle lane or bicycle path is adjacent to or near the roadway.

(2) A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates of speed.

(3) A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is able to safely move out of the bicycle lane or path for the purpose of:

(a) Overtaking and passing another bicycle, a vehicle or a pedestrian that is in the bicycle lane or path and passage cannot safely be made in the lane or path.

(b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(c) Avoiding debris or other hazardous conditions.

(d) Preparing to execute a right turn where a right turn is authorized.

(e) Continuing straight at an intersection where the bicycle lane or path is to the right of a lane from which a motor vehicle must turn right.

heavyj
10-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks BB,

I was pretty sure that was the case but wanted to make sure. I originally posted this after I needed to pass another cyclist on the westbound approach to the Broadway bridge. I looked left, saw a large truck but had plenty of room, moved into the lane, passed the other rider and moved back into the bike lane. When the truck passed, the passenger yelled out the window..."You're lucky you didn't get run over!"

boneshaker
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
What about passing other cyclists on the right? Any idea what the law says regarding that?

lynnef
11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
What about passing other cyclists on the right? Any idea what the law says regarding that?

I do not know what the law says. But don't do it. Bad cycling form. Bad cycling manners. SO not recommended.

donnambr
11-30-2007, 07:48 PM
I do not know what the law says. But don't do it. Bad cycling form. Bad cycling manners. SO not recommended.
+1. My mirror is on my left and so I'm looking for passing bikers there. I look for car doors swinging open on the right.