PDA

View Full Version : Reed College to Lewis and Clark College

Shaggy2Dope
10-24-2007, 06:16 PM
i am starting a new commute soon and i am in need of suggestions on a route to Lewis and Clark College from SE near Reed College. i used google maps to help find bike lanes but satellites can only see so much. anyways, any help is much appreciated.

thank you and ride safe!

Thorlak
10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
It's a trip planner using Google in conjunction with the bike lanes.

http://bycycle.org/

jake_m
10-24-2007, 09:34 PM
i am starting a new commute soon and i am in need of suggestions on a route to Lewis and Clark College from SE near Reed College. i used google maps to help find bike lanes but satellites can only see so much. anyways, any help is much appreciated.

thank you and ride safe!

I ride this just about everyday.

My ride takes me past Reed on Woodstock to 28th to Bybee. Then depending on traffic on at the lights I usually turn south on 18th, as that's where the bike lane ends on Bybee anyway. Then I turn right on Knapp which will turn into SE Sellwood Blvd. Turn left on 7th followed by a right on Spokane and a left on 6th. Then onto the sidewalk for the ride over the Sellwood bridge. Then there are various ways to get over to the cemetary. I just cross traffic safely and ride up the cemetary. It's a bear but worth it. There are differing points of view - the short steep route up the left side or the long and winding flatter route up the righter sides.

Check this map:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/or/portland/340032305

Shaggy2Dope
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
thank you! i wasn't sure if going through the cemetery was possible.

Jim E. Hat
10-25-2007, 09:20 AM
is it OK to just bike over the sellwood bride both directions, taking a lane? I was under the assumption that the sidewalk is for pedestrians only. i like to take a lane rather than play chicken on the sidewalk... it's sketchy to pass people going the other direction on the sidewalk because inevitably, a couple inches of somebody's handlebars will be sticking out into the lane. I also think it's kind of fun to do the corkscrew at the end to get th the cemetary light... am i being totally illegal here?

jake_m
10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
is it OK to just bike over the sellwood bride both directions, taking a lane? I was under the assumption that the sidewalk is for pedestrians only. i like to take a lane rather than play chicken on the sidewalk... it's sketchy to pass people going the other direction on the sidewalk because inevitably, a couple inches of somebody's handlebars will be sticking out into the lane. I also think it's kind of fun to do the corkscrew at the end to get th the cemetary light... am i being totally illegal here?

I can't speak to the legality of it, but I prefer to not ride on the bridge roadway of the Sellwood. I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone doing it, but I often pass and am passed by people riding the sidewalk. It's fine. Usually one of us will stop to let the other pass and it's no problem.

fetishridr
10-26-2007, 07:16 AM
i stay to the right going up, then take a lane once i'm going 20 mph down. that is the way to ride the bridge. the sidewalk is for peds, and deck is for vehicles, including bikes.
that being said, there are some cranky commuters on that bridge. ride safe.

bikieboy
10-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Multnomah County posted the sidewalk with "Walk your Bike" signs a decade or so ago, as well as with "Bikes on Roadway" warning signs.

I generally ride the sidewalk, slowly & carefully yielding to peds, except at times when traffic is light when i ride the roadway.