PDA

View Full Version : iPlods and iBike

K'Tesh
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Upon reading the Oregon Revised Statutes 814.410 Unsafe operation of bicycle on sidewalk; penalty.

The Language reads:

(1) A person commits the offense of unsafe operation of a bicycle on a sidewalk if the person does any of the following:

(b) Operates a bicycle upon a sidewalk and does not give an audible warning before overtaking and passing a
pedestrian and does not yield the right of way to all pedestrians on the sidewalk.

The jist of the language means that when on a sidewalk, it is illegal pass a pedestrian w/o an audble signal.

I wonder, what is it that I have to do when I'm stuck behind some iPlod fool who is more into listening to Heavy Metal, cRap, or any other style of "music", besides yell in their ears? Any help here? My temptation is to somehow mount one of those maritime signaling horns.

On a related subject, what about those who are tuning in, rather than focusing on their riding... seems like a recipe for disaster...

Be safe out there... the life you save could be mine.
K'Tesh

Oldguyonabike
10-23-2007, 09:31 AM
I have to confess to radio listening when riding. In the morning its the news and the tunes for the afternoon ride depends on the mood. I can hear horns, traffic and street voices much better than I can in a car with the windows up and the radio on. I don't ride with the volume up for the same reason I don't have ghetto blasters in the car. I need to protect what hearing I have left from 60's/70's rock concerts. And, I agree that we need to hear the road.

mizake
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Okay, let's not.

I'm wondering if - because you obviously don't like either style of music you mentioned - you are assuming that people who are listening to portable listening devices while using MUPs, are listening to those two kinds of music? Is it because you categorically think that because to you the......oh fuck it.

-patrick
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
To the people blissing out to Big Band or soaring Opera, I give the LOUDEST audible alert I can, and then hope they don't choose that moment to deviate their path...

As far as cyclists wearing headphones - I don't ride blindfolded, either.

I usually hear cars before I see them. I can't imagine sacrificing that edge.

I have passed cyclists deeply engaged in J.S. Bach or Barry Manilow, and had them completely fail to hear my alerts as well.

mizake
10-24-2007, 03:34 PM
To the people blissing out to Big Band or soaring Opera, I give the LOUDEST audible alert I can, and then hope they don't choose that moment to deviate their path...

As far as cyclists wearing headphones - I don't ride blindfolded, either.

I usually hear cars before I see them. I can't imagine sacrificing that edge.

I have passed cyclists deeply engaged in J.S. Bach or Barry Manilow, and had them completely fail to hear my alerts as well.

awesome.

i tried riding with headphones for a week and found it to be a terrifying experience. what i discovered was that i used my hearing to identify when cars were coming up behind me and how close they might be. with headphones on, cars would suddenly appear next to me and make my heart skip beats.

listening to cans while biking is not worth the loss of awareness. same with on the bike path, but to a lesser degree. but i friggin hate it when i'm coming up on a cyclist or jogger riding/jogging in the MIDDLE of the path like it's their own personal training path. bells, yelling, shaking fists; they don't care. they just continue listening to .... whatever.

K'Tesh
10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
i friggin hate it when i'm coming up on a cyclist or jogger riding/jogging in the MIDDLE of the path like it's their own personal training path. bells, yelling, shaking fists; they don't care. they just continue listening to .... whatever.

That was my point exactly! It doesn't matter what they are listening to, they're just blissed out in the middle of the way, and I'm trying to pass. (Often when I do manage to complete the pass I hear "Get off the f*****g sidewalk")

BTW, riding on a sidewalk in Oregon is LEGAL (with certain exceptions) in either direction

artizin
11-02-2007, 02:16 PM
But I can only advocate doing it really early in the morning with the volume low enough where you can hear the outside world, and only on a bike path, as soon as I hit traffic my headphones come off. No exceptions. As I see it large pieces of metal moving at anywhere from 1-45 mph are inherently dangerous. I'd rather hear them coming.

Whats really scary is when you see someone with their windows rolled up in their car and have headphones on listening to their ipod or what ever. Isn't this against the law in Oregon? I see a ton of it.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
11-02-2007, 06:10 PM
1. The legal obligation to provide an "audible warning" would likely be interpreted to mean "a warning audible to a reasonable person," i.e., one who isn't intentionally obscuring his or her hearing. But, as far as I know, that question has yet to be answered under Oregon law. Rixter could probably tell you.

2. One legal implication of listening to ... whatever ... so loud that you cannot hear what's happening around you is that it may constitute negligence, or, contributory negligence. That is, when a cyclist plows into you because you abruptly turned to your left to start on your way back without hearing an otherwise audible warning, you may be partly at fault as well.

3. Although it is legal to ride on the sidewalk, riding on the sidewalk is only done legally if you ride really slowly. That's because you have a general duty to exercise due care to everyone around you, and you are not exercising that level of care if you are riding at any decent speed past pedestrians in the space of a sidewalk. You have to anticipate the abrupt turn-around and other unpredictable actions by pedestrians because you're on A SIDEWALK where you're required to yield to pedestrians at all times. You can't possibly think this is what bikes were made for. Get the hell off the damn sidewalk.

But stay on the MUPs. Even though it's filled with people who can't hear your "audible warnings."

K'Tesh
11-03-2007, 09:20 AM
3. Although it is legal to ride on the sidewalk, riding on the sidewalk is only done legally if you ride really slowly. That's because you have a general duty to exercise due care to everyone around you, and you are not exercising that level of care if you are riding at any decent speed past pedestrians in the space of a sidewalk. You have to anticipate the abrupt turn-around and other unpredictable actions by pedestrians because you're on A SIDEWALK where you're required to yield to pedestrians at all times. You can't possibly think this is what bikes were made for. Get the hell off the damn sidewalk.

But stay on the MUPs. Even though it's filled with people who can't hear your "audible warnings."

I live in Beaverton... Perhaps you're familiar with the area. There are spots here, and I'm know that Portland has this too, that the city planners did not factor bicycles into the equation. So, the only thing we have are NARROW MULTI LANE roads with sidewalks.

I'm not thrilled with riding in dense two-way, five-lane traffic where there's no bike lane. And let's not forget the many driveways and intersections. Prime examples... BH Hwy E of Hwy 217, or Cedar Hills Blvd N of Canyon to Walker, just to name a few. So for that reason (no disrespect ment here) I need to stay on the damn sidewalk.

Yes, I admit, I do ride Hwy 217 (yeah folks, it's legal), but it is oneway only, and has a shoulder the whole way (sometimes not much of one, but it's still there). Plus there are no intersections or driveways, just on-ramps and off-ramps, which are not hard to manage at all (especially during rush hour, I'm often the fastest thing out there). If you have to, you stop and wait for a break in traffic. The longest I ever had to wait was 2 minutes, but we all know the true value of just a few seconds.

BTW, What's a MUPs? I'm still new to the forum stuff, and don't know all abbrv. yet.

I do appreciate your comments, and advise.
All the Best!
K'Tesh

Attornatus_Oregonensis
11-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Beavo, huh? I didn't know we let you people join bikeportland. Just kidding. Anyway, good luck out there. It is a different world.

MUP is multi-use path.