PDA

View Full Version : Best area in pdx for bikers' new home?

FollowtheLeader
10-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey, I have a question intended for proud claims and not battles. . .
I'm curious: where in Portland is the best neighborhood for biking? I used to live in Orenco on the west side which was close to MAX and the meetup spot for Portland Velo. There was quick access to amenities and plenty of rural roads for great biking. Is this the only place in the Greater Portland Area that is so awesome? I want to expand my mls search a little since we're looking for a new home. We telecommute so that's not an issue. Suggestions?

Cruizer
10-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Follow,
There are tons of great neighborhoods on the east side of the river, each with its own distinct personality and an array of independently-owned small businesses and unique restaurants. What makes biking on the east side so great is that there are straighter roads and lots of bike lanes on heavier traffic streets. What (to me) makes biking on the west side difficult, once you get out of downtown, is there are so many narrow, windy, hilly streets that don't even have a shoulder to ride on. So there you are, in the traffic lane, going around a blind curve and here comes a car or SUV, perhaps driving a little too fast and crossing over the center line. This doesn't make for a pleasant ride from my perspective.

And getting downtown from the east side is a breeze, what with all those bike-friendly bridges.

I have a friend and neighbor who is a very successful, long-time realtor and if her clients who are new to Portland express an interest in biking as a transportation option, she recommends the east side.

Oh yes, welcome to Portland and good luck with your house hunt :)

mike_khad1
10-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Look into Sellwood because of its proximity to the Springwater Corridor. From this artery you can head east to Gresham/Boring, North along the Williamette River to downtown Portland. Once Max construction is completed, the Springwater crossed the 205 bike path which heads north past the airport and IKEA into Vancouver and heads south to Gladstone.

I've taken the Springwater to Boring and then highway 26 to Government Camp on Mt Hood.

I-205 path to Marine Drive to Troutdale, to The Dalles via the Columbia River Historic Highway.

Klixi
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey, I have a question intended for proud claims and not battles. . .
I'm curious: where in Portland is the best neighborhood for biking? I used to live in Orenco on the west side which was close to MAX and the meetup spot for Portland Velo. There was quick access to amenities and plenty of rural roads for great biking. Is this the only place in the Greater Portland Area that is so awesome? I want to expand my mls search a little since we're looking for a new home. We telecommute so that's not an issue. Suggestions?

Ladd's Addition is my favorite... Basically anything between SE 12th and SE 39th between Division and Belmont is, in my opinion, the best area for a cyclist to reside in Portland.