PDA

View Full Version : Dogs

Psyfalcon
10-15-2007, 04:23 AM
My rant and PSA for the day.

Please be careful passing people with dogs! I'm in Beaverton and I've noticed people either on the street/ bike lane or sidewalk (legal apparently here) are passing very close to my dog and I during walks from behind.

My dog is a herding breed, which means he tends to chase moving objects, and would very readily nip at the wheels, which would be disastrous for the biker and my dogs dentition. He is always leashed on a 4 foot leash (I believe state law is less than 6ft) but he can still cross a sidewalk well within a bike length. Some dogs may be genuinely aggressive for that matter.

If you pass me within that 4-6 foot leash + arm length there is little I can do except try and react. I've been lucky so far to read my dogs ears and notice the bike, but only at close distances and with no help from the bike rider. With a warning, I could shorten the leash and make your pass much less hair raising for all of us.

So, if you are going to pass a person and dog, please give them as much room as you can, and if you have to pass within leash + arm length, give us dog walkers some warning by voice or bell, not the ever subtle sound of light braking or the sound of a coasting bike's ratchet mechanism.

wyeast
10-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Having had a long-ago memory of a neighbor's doberman looking to nibble at my wheels, I can agree that's sound advice. :)

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Me and my doggie would appreciate that as well.

FollowtheLeader
10-19-2007, 09:57 PM
THANK YOU so much for not walking your dog with one of those 20 foot extendable leashes! My voice can't carry fast enough to ask them to reel it in! (thinking of the park paths such as Fanno Creek in Beaverton).