PDA

View Full Version : Cross Crusade

fetishridr
10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
for everyone who is thinking about it, come to a cross race. 1087 people showed yesterday, making the cross crusade #1 the largest cross race EVER. There are categories for everyone, beginner, C,B,A, single speed.
if you ride fixed, throw a heavy tire on and come out. you will have more fun than you thought possible.

some categories are competitive and some are inebbriated, you take your pick. NO, you dont have to wear spandex, although it does make butts look good.

oh yeah, there is plenty of cowbell too.

mizake
10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
for everyone who is thinking about it, come to a cross race. 1087 people showed yesterday, making the cross crusade #1 the largest cross race EVER. There are categories for everyone, beginner, C,B,A, single speed.
if you ride fixed, throw a heavy tire on and come out. you will have more fun than you thought possible.

some categories are competitive and some are inebbriated, you take your pick. NO, you dont have to wear spandex, although it does make butts look good.

oh yeah, there is plenty of cowbell too.

i despise the thought of picking up my bike and running with it. just the whole getting off your bike aspect is unappealing to me.

however, i'd love to see other people do it :)

Attornatus_Oregonensis
10-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm relieved to hear that I don't have to wear spandex. I won't do it.

On a more relevant note, a few questions:

I have considered cross, but I don't understand why they design a bike race where you have to run part of it. Can you explain this?

How is this different from cross-country mtn bike racing? It seems to involve technical routes and lots of mud, but bikes ill-equipt for the conditions (i.e., no suspension and no fat tires). What makes a cross bike better suited for the race?

Are there other skills, besides the dismount-remount, that are unique to cross racing?

fawkinghell
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Cyclocross is over one hundred years old. You do it if you get it. Over one thousand people got it. If you don't get it, you never will.

bikerinNE
10-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I understand the idea behind cross racing, but i don't get the idea behind single speed cross racing. First off, I get the idea behind single speed bikes, or track bikes. But lets face it, mt. biking on a single speed is really, well for lack of better words idiotic. For instance take a street worthy track bike, and rider, in the streets, and put them on a winding singletrack with jagged rocks and creek crossings, i wouldn't think they have a chance, but thats just me.

Not only that, but Cross bikes were built for just that type of riding.

Don't get me wrong, you're better then i am if you try it. I would just suspect, you'd be more apt with the proper equipment.

its all the same, i wouldn't tour, or take an epic, across country with a track bike, but i will with my trust worthy touring bike.

mizake
10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Cyclocross is over one hundred years old. You do it if you get it. Over one thousand people got it. If you don't get it, you never will.

You're so fucking cool.

fetishridr
10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
and the bikes go way faster than a mountain bike. the whole get the bike and run aspect is more of an agility training method than anything else. keep in mind that cross started as a fall/winter training tool for euro roadies.

the courses arent as technical as mt biking, they are short, spectator friendly, and beer is consumed. the fastest bike riders usually win.

DJoos
10-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Once you go Cross, there is no going back.

Jim E. Hat
10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
But lets face it, mt. biking on a single speed is really, well for lack of better words idiotic. For instance take a street worthy track bike, and rider, in the streets, and put them on a winding singletrack with jagged rocks and creek crossings, i wouldn't think they have a chance, but thats just me. Not only that, but Cross bikes were built for just that type of riding. Don't get me wrong, you're better then i am if you try it. I would just suspect, you'd be more apt with the proper equipment. its all the same, i wouldn't tour, or take an epic, across country with a track bike, but i will with my trust worthy touring bike.

there are single speed cross bikes, and fixed gear track bikes... two totally different bikes. do you understand that single speed does not necessarily mean fixed track?

single speed cross:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_san_jose.html

fixed gear track:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_pista.html

maxadders
10-16-2007, 05:18 PM
not to mention that SS / fixed "conversions" (the majority of fixed / ss road bikes you see around town!) are not real track bikes but rather stripped down steel road frames. some can accommodate fat cross tires quite well...

and many other "street track" bikes by Surly, IRO, etc are not really built with competitive track racing in mind but rathere street riding / commuting. they're quite sturdy enough to handle the offroad environment.