PDA

View Full Version : Cool but Waterproof Shoe Covers

Schrauf
10-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Shoe covers are great for keeping shoes and socks dry.

My current shoe covers are fleece lined and WAY too warm except on below-freezing days. My feet get wet from sweating, so what's the point of covers to keep my feet dry? Yes, I have naturally hot feet.

Anyway, what is a good shoe cover that is as thin (and cool) as possible, but still waterproof? Most of the thin shoe covers that are for aerodynamic purposes only don't look waterproof, but I could be wrong.

DJoos
10-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Gore makes some Gor-Tex ones, they are not insulated so you do not overheat, very water proof and durable. They are not cheap though.

lynnef
10-05-2007, 08:14 PM
wish I had your feet. I'm almost into chemical foot-warmer season now for long rides.

I've given up on neoprene booties - like you said, hot, plus they AREN'T waterproof.

Trying out some Sugoi Resistors at the moment. I'll let you know after tomorrow. :-)

Bigfoot Cascadia
10-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I have heard that Tyvek Booties are good for this. These are mid calf pullovers made of the same material as is used on houses as a vapor barrier. They are waterproof and non-insulating. Construction people use them to avoid tracking up floors when they come inside dwellings. They are white plastic. I am looking for them to try out myself - I have big feet (Size 15) that regular bike wear won't fit! I have heard they are cheaply available at construction supply stores.

bigfoot

wyeast
10-09-2007, 06:45 AM
REI has some Cyclone covers on sale for $30 this week - I can't say how good they are or not tho'. :( Sorry.

bikieboy
10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
I've had some Burley booties for awhile -- allegedly waterproof & breathable, zips & velcro closures --- but don't use them because they don't really work. Faced with moderate rainfall on my 4 mile/20" commute they inevitably fail, and my feet are wet. Tho, not as wet as without; still, why bother?

Burley's now out of business, except for bike trailers, so avoiding these booties should be easy to do...

Oldguyonabike
10-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I used Sugoi covers. Fleece lined but not too hot. Happy with them. Used all last winter and feet mostly dry and warm after 8 mi commutes. They've also help together well. Slip on w/ zip in back. I think I got them @ RiverCity for ~$40.

John Henry
10-20-2007, 10:34 PM
i also use the sugoi booties with the zip back. they seem to keep my socks and feet dry, the tips of my shoes do get wet though. The only thing i dont like about them is that they seem like they are starting to get shredded on the bottom from walking, if you get them try to avoid walking in them, i think i might have to coat the bottom with some shoe goo , got them at REI 50$

lynnef
10-21-2007, 11:21 AM
The Sugoi Resistors gave it up yesterday (Saturday, downpours) after a couple of hours. As I was out there for 5 hours, there were a lot of hours with very wet, cold feet.

It doesn't help that my shoes are actively water-welcoming, I think. I even had my leg warmers OVER the booties, so the water wouldn't run down inside. It did anyway.

They seem to be ok in less drenching conditions.

Looking at the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Mid GTX shoes now...

wsbob
10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm closely noting all of your reports because currently, I don't have a good pair of waterproof shoe covers. Don't have a pair of cycling specific clip-in shoes yet for that matter....but that's another story.

The last cleat shoes I had were pearl izumi titanium shank and currently, a pair of Vittoria tri-cross shoes which I haven't been using lately. For waterproof protection, I had a pair of grey Rivat brand covers, back zip. The Sugoi shoe covers being described might be similar to them. Rivat worked pretty darn well. Had to put sealant on the seam running up the middle of the shoe cover, but they kept most of the water out from off the top of the shoes. A little water always came up through the cleat opening, but not really enough to make me miserable. I've no idea whether Rivat is still available.

I'm going to check out Sugoi. I'll have to admit though, the tyvek bootie idea is intriguing to me. If it works, I could maybe see beyond the goofy look. In downpours, I can't see how anything except rubber boots would keep the water out.