PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Wheels

Psyfalcon
09-27-2007, 05:01 PM
The wheels on my commuter are dying. The braking surface has pockmarks and rust, things you expect on a trash bike that sat in someones garage since 1980. They're pretty true, but the surface makes for squeeky braking and a lack of confidence flying down hills. The tires are even worse with sidewall bulges!

The trick is, its 27 inch. New wheels seem to only come in 700cc and they are EXPENSIVE. I don't want to put $300+ wheels on my free bike. I should have enough brake clearance of 700cc if i can get them cheap though.

Since I don't know what wheel size I'll have in a month, I don't want to buy new wheels, but I will have to change them soon, so I'd rather not sit on craigslist or something for another old bike for a few months...

Ideas? Places to look? etc?

BillD
09-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Check with City Bikes. Look for something used but still in rideable condition. there are still some new 27" rims available, you may be able to have your old hubs rebuilt. Harris (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels/630.html) has some new wheelsets from $99.00 to $300.00.

lynnef
09-28-2007, 09:56 AM
it isn't just the rims. Bike frames meant for 27" wheels have a narrower hub spacing than bike frames meant for 700c. Something like 126mm vs 130mm, but don't quote me on that.

Not sure 126mm hubs are obtainable these days. I had to get my rear triangle expanded when I needed a new 27" wheel many years ago. The shop got the wheel in with a lot of brute force, and I had an amazing surprise the first time I had to fix a flat (rain, wind, the usual). I took it back, and they did something to the frame so normal humans could get the wheel off and then back in.