PDA

View Full Version : SE Riders

maxisnow
09-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I think I may have put my original post in the wrong place.
But, wanted to heighten awareness.

http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1225

Attornatus_Oregonensis
09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure what to say. I didn't do any of these things -- and I even agree with you on the bike shop employees -- but now I'm a d-bag because I ride in SE Portland? I don't get it.

I do see that you're frustrated, or more perhaps, and that's too bad. Life does indeed suck sometimes. I hope you get back on the bike, 'cause we need ya.

maxisnow
09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Don't worry man.
If you're not a d-bag, you're not. Riding in SE doesn't make you one. There's just plenty of em riding there.
And for the record, I'm not that angry. It's not my style.

beelnite
09-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Crew - We gotta bring Maxi back and police ourselves and others not in this forum - somehow!

The "protocols" followed by riders on the Hawthorne also annoy this SE rider. It just seems like we are so competitive. I really think we should treat this bridgeway like the waterfront.

Slow down. Do we really need to pass? Can it wait until we're off the bridge and away from the Peds? Of course.

I've gone to the extreme and absolutely refuse to pass another rider unless there are no peds in the vicinity and the rider ahead intentionally moves to the right. If they are going really slow and won't move RIGHT, I gently and as politely as possible let them know I am behind and would like to pass on the LEFT.

No passing on the right. Period.

Slow up when approaching peds, even if they are facing you. Never scream at them. Cool it.

My worst fear is being knocked off the sidewalk - I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet - or has it?

Worst thing I've seen: Inbound - before the bridge - At the bus stop. The bus is stopped the doors open and the Lance Armstrong wannabee nearly kills himself and the passenger stepping onto the sidewalk. This is after blowing by me because I slowed in anticipation.

Anyway - to the folks in this forum - perhaps we can lead by example. Maybe if our behavior is observed some of those yahoos might get a clue and help us protect our reputation for sharing the road.

mizake
09-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I think I may have put my original post in the wrong place.
But, wanted to heighten awareness.

http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1225

That is indeed sad to hear.

There's not a lot of love out there for people on fixies and don't wear spandex (except in NE). And then some people are just plain dicks. Realize also that there are a bunch of us nicer folk out there, and we're looking out for each other and for you. Even if someone was riding like a complete asshole and endangering people in the process, and that person crashed, I would stop and help them. Not that I think that's what happened, I'm just saying: there are people out there who are watching out for all cyclists...and trail cats.

It just seems like you had a few bad days wrapped up in one. Don't let it get you down!

nuovorecord
09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I just responded to the initial post, but thought I'd add two more cents to the discussion.

It seems that along with there being greater numbers of cyclists, to the point that they're becoming nearly as commonplace as seeing cars in certain parts of the city, the same attitudes that we berate auto drivers for are manifesting themselves.

I'm referring to the "me first" attitude that seems to pervade so much of society today. We all want to get where we want to go, with nothing to impede us, be it pedestrians in crosswalks, stop signs or yellow lights, slower cyclists, etc. Doesn't really matter if you're driving a Hummer or a Huffy, the attitude is the same. It's not a car v. bike, or a NE v. SE problem - it's a problem with ALL of us. We need to care a bit more about each other, and a bit less about ourselves.

[group hug] :)

lazlo
09-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I can't believe someone knocked you over with their pannier and rode on. Nuovorecord is right. I believe impatience is perhaps our greatest shortcoming. Leads to a host of ills, among them bad manners on bikes.

Haven_kd7yct
09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
One thing about riding a bike to work that I like is that it gives me a chance to slow down a little, at least mentally.

Nuovo is correct, everyone is in such a hurry these days, and we're all so competitive about it. I'm at fault of the hurry-competitive attitude as well, but I'm trying to change that mindset.

Why the big rush? Why get angry when someone gets in front of you? I don't get it.

Maxis, it's not a location problem, it's a people problem. Hopefully you'll get better (knee problems suck!) and are able to get back on your bike soon. Come ride out here in the SW 'burbs, it's really not bad. :)

maxisnow
09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Of course my lust for cycling couldn't be quenched. I got back on my bike this weekend, and although I took a bad endo (self-inflicted) after putting on my new seat stem and seat, the ride today wasn't too bad. I'm trying to find some sort of commonality between the crazy agressive speed riders on the bridge, but haven't come up with much today.

Although I would say that last night I was passed by a guy going pretty damn fast on the bridge, who I then passed in the later uphill portion. This made me think he was just an amateur rider as he had what looked to be a working rear derailleur and no real reason not to keep his speed, except maybe a lack of knowing how.

So maybe it's just novice and amateur riders. I'm not saying I'm not a novice, as I am, but maybe it's just a lack of seeing or being in a bad accident and thats why they ride like they do.

I see it all the time in the bike shops. People buying fixies without brakes who've never rode a fixie, and probably not even a road bike in general too much. But it's "cool" and the shops want to sell them, so people buy em.

Ranting again. But just to update, I am riding again, and trying NOT to yell at the speed demons on the bridge. (It would just make me look crazy or angry.)

toddistic
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
and its annoying when you are on the bridge and some slow person is sitting directly in the middle of the bridge. espically if you are in a low gear or are a single speed (like myself). I go fast to keep my rpm up so it doesnt get insanely painful to climb.

and maybe because you are a novice you dont really know how to ride with other people around. people are trying to get out of your way. if you are self inflicting endo's then maybe you should take a few weekend trips before you get in the way of people who are trying to get to work.

maxisnow
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
point taken, but I'm pretty sure even pros still take falls every once in a while.

mizake
09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
point taken, but I'm pretty sure even pros still take falls every once in a while.

i have the bruised ass to prove it.

pdxtex
09-26-2007, 02:45 AM
sorry to hear about this experience....im constantly passed by boy racers and dudes on mountain bikes that apparently need to make it to the lucky lab to play darts, in a hurry!!!! yeah, i wish people in general would slow down on that bridge or better yet, id like to see the city of portland put up a guard rail on the left side of the sidewalk. im just waiting for the day some bike goes careening off the sidewalk and on the bridge.....not really, but its gonna happen sometime. be carefull y'all.

fetishridr
09-26-2007, 09:57 AM
each and every rider needs to take a chill pill, the dudes riding 30 mph (although i highly doubt that unless its right at the bottom of the hill westbound) and the dudes riding 5 mph. just because someone rides faster than you doesnt make them reckless, irresponsible, or an ass. they could be a much better bike handler, in better shape etc. apparently the guy who knocked you down was an ass.

riding a bike faster than running speed is not reckless. unfortunately people are in different states of fitness, and hence the differing speeds. lets have everyone be aware of the slow and the faster riders and ride accordingly. if you are riding walking speed, dont pass walkers while people who are faster are trying to pass you as well. if you are a fast rider, be aware that not everyone wants to big ring into downtown and break a sweat. while we're at it lets not pass faster riders in the intersection getting onto the bridge, cause i just have to pass you again 50 feet later. not only is it obnoxious, but its dangerous for you to go 2/3 wide in the intersection on grand.

but hey, at least we have a bike/ped only sidewalk to bitch about :)

mizake
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
"if you are riding walking speed, dont pass walkers while people who are faster are trying to pass you as well".

AND if you are hauling ass, don't try to squeeze past someone on the left who is already passing someone. <------- drives me bananas!

let that person pass and then you can pass both of them.

yes, bananas.

beelnite
10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Got this one today at the bottom of the Hawthorne, heading in. I'm using the left bike lane - the new passing lane for us bikes.

Two bikes to my right - here comes Johnny Racer with a comment:

"You don't need that much room to pass."

At first I thought he meant side-to-side. Then realized he probably thought I was taking too long to get back into the right lane.

Apparently he didn't notice I am ill prepped for the rain season and have my fenders off. It would be rude of me to rooster tail in front of another biker.

So what happens - well he had the jump on us at the light but soon proved to be unworthy of leading the peloton. I tucked in behind a fellow (who had fenders) and we ended up slowing up for Mr. Passing Critic.

It's like the guy who dares you to rear-end him by darting in and out of traffic, thinking he's getting somewhere quicker only to stop 500 feet later for a 6 mile long traffic jam.

All in a days ride. Smile.

Anyway - just another glimpse at the Automobile Driver-like impatience that is just as relevant and prevalent in our mode of transport. Not sure this is isolated to SE, but isn't it great how many opinions there are on what we should be doing on the road?

It doesn't surprise me to learn there are a lot of riders, particularly in this forum who have a 'riding conscience'. We know when we're pushing the limit, being somewhat rude or lawless. That's way cool.

maxisnow
11-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I haven't look at this thread in a while.

And no, the ride on Hawthorne hasn't gotten much better.

I actually got "leap frogged" in an intersection earlier this week. I simply said, "oh, go right ahead, sorry to be in the way." I think the guy felt bad after I said that and promptly apologized. I said, "it's alright." I really wasn't angry and it was nice to hear a sorry when someone realized they had cut me off at an intersection.

I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Cruizer
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Maxi,
Your unfortunate experiences on the Hawthorne Bridge will inspire me to cross it with more vigilance so I am prepared if similar things happen around me.

Have you considered that maybe you see more jerks biking in SE because more people in SE bike? Maybe the percentage is similar in all parts of town. Just a thought.

But everyone taking a chill pill and not being in such a hurry is good advice. Most importantly, people have to be considerate of others and not carry on as if the road/path/lane exists first and foremost for them alone.