PDA

View Full Version : Rain pants?

Cassiel240
09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I've seen several threads here on rain riding, and pants are mentioned by some, but my question is, how many people actually use them? I have a pair from Showers Pass which are definitely waterproof, but they're also quite stiff and not particularly comfortable wearing. Additionally, I haven't really had too many days where I could convince myself they're necessary. Sometimes that results in a relatively wet arrival at my destination, and I bike to school 12 miles one way (minimum, and frequently I add to that for "fun"), so getting there dripping really sucks because there isn't much I can do about it - no dryers at school, and only a dark, dank locker to hang my clothes in. They don't get very dry in the 8 hours or so that I'm there. Still, if I wear the rain pants, sometimes that results in being pretty wet, too, because I sweat.

Am I doomed just to be wet and cold? What does everyone else do? I can't be the only one commuting through the winter...

lynnef
09-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I find the Pearl Izumi legwarmers keep the water away from my skin. They do get wet, but I don't, if you know what I mean. They dry quickly, too.

Also, really old wool tights w/Ultrex fronts. Made of unobtainium, good for the cold cold wet.

I've got some PI AmFib tights that I haven't tried yet. They should also be warm and water resistant.

I've got friends that swear by RainLegs, which cover the tops of your thighs and knees. These people ride for hours (sometimes days) in the rain. I think CityBikes carries them.

I've got friends that swear by the Performance TriFlex tights.

Fenders and mudflaps. You'll still get wet, but from the sky and you'll be cleaner.

lazlo
09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I've found I only need rain pants if it's really wet and cold. If you have good fenders you'll stay fairly dry. I just wear shorts until it gets down to the 40's, then I'll wear some lycra leggings. They get damp, but not too bad. I'd be just as wet from sweat if I wore rain pants. If it's really cold, like 35 or lower, I might wear light rain pants over the tights. Even colder, and I'll wear some Hydroskin tights that I got for paddling. Lightweat neoprene with a barrier. Get a bit sweaty, but they're really warm.

Oldguyonabike
09-17-2007, 10:07 AM
I gave up on rain pants years ago. I agree with the lycra tights. I wear a pair of winter (heavier) running tights I picked up at a GI Joes over bike shorts. Yes, I get wet, but that's the fun of it! What's important is that I don't get cold. Tights also dry quickly. Rain booties are essential, too.

cecilanne
09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Depends on how much rain we're talking about. On cold monsoon days, I wear a pair of Craft "Bullitt" pants, gaiters and booties and arrive at work completely dry. On your regular ol' Portland winter rainy day, I settle for my Descente "Cold Outside" leg warmers - I get wet, but I stay warm. Frankly, I worry more about my cold hands than I do about wet legs.

DJoos
09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
I have found that the temps here do not get low enough to warrent a full rain pant, I just wear knee/leg warmers. On cooler mornings I will put on a thermal tight. Most synthetic or wool bike gear dries quickly and is good to go on the way back home. Throw in some fenders and the rain isn't so bad, a rain jacket is definetly worth it though.

cecilanne
09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I have found that the temps here do not get low enough to warrent a full rain pant.

Oh, I dunno, once it goes below 35 degrees, which it does in the bleak midwinter, I have found that the extra warmth my Craft pants provide is kind of comforting.

norse rider
09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Yea, I stick with a basic black length of leg bike pant for the rain and winter months. I generally will buy whatever is on sale. I find the rain not that big of a deal as long as fender, mudflaps, and a good jacket have been incorparated into the ride. I like a high lycra mix in a pant for the winter as I have found they dry fast at work. If it gets cold (below 40) I will double up with a pair of lycra shorts over my lycra pants. Sounds crazy I guess but it works for me and keeps me warm. I tend to worry more about headgear and a good pair of gloves...

huss
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Leg warmers, thier flexible use in the mournings when cold, maybe not on the way home? Like stated above they dry quick...as for feet..I wear Shimano sandels(SPD) with socks, will get some thin wool socks as the winter gets colder. Last winter I rode in cold wet converse high tops, and it wasnt that bad. They would dry next to the heater at work, and had dry shoes waiting for me.....just brought fresh socks.!!! It all in the planning.

I ride with bike shorts, but wear my work shorts over them keeps the wind away, plus I get pockets for my phone and wallet. Even in the heaviest rains my cell phone has never gottten wet, maybe its my Burley jacket that covers my legs when reaching for the bars. Also good gloves like stated above....Cold wet hands is worse than wet legs.....keep those legs moving they'll stay warm:)

Tbird
10-01-2007, 09:03 PM
They're the goofy looking 'chaps' that cover the front of your thigh and pelvic region, but give enough venting to keep you cool. I love them; highly functional, not all that pricey, and you get that cool "cowboy" look while wearing them...;)
http://clevercycles.com/?p=81

donnambr
10-07-2007, 11:09 PM
They're the goofy looking 'chaps' that cover the front of your thigh and pelvic region, but give enough venting to keep you cool. I love them; highly functional, not all that pricey, and you get that cool "cowboy" look while wearing them...;)
http://clevercycles.com/?p=81
I like mine, too. :)