PDA

View Full Version : On Street bike parking....

Tbird
09-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Just curious; where do you think the next on street bike parking facility should go?

tfahrner
09-14-2007, 05:49 PM
908 Hawthorne.

JayS.
09-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Alberta in the mid to upper twenties is ripe for it. Anywhere business and neghborhoods push for it is good in my eyes. The more good parking we have the more good biking we have.

Oldguyonabike
09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Hollywood. Especially on Saturdays when the market is open, but most anywhere around the Hollywood theater and points east.

jake_m
09-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Hawthorne. in the Forties. Where Zach Shack, Kinju, Dingos and a few other places. There's plenty of room for it, and there's never room.

nuovorecord
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure of how the city decides on these things, but it seems that Hawthorne just got a major parking upgrade. Hawthorne just received two or three Bike Oasis parking structures, one up at 48th or so, but I don't know if that decision was made as an alternative to on-street parking. I don't usually ride over there because it's close enough to walk from my house, so I don't really have a feel for how much use they're getting.

I'd second the Alberta suggestion. Sellwood and Woodstock in the 40s would be other locations that could use more bike parking.

Jonathan Maus
09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Just curious; where do you think the next on street bike parking facility should go?

it's really not a choice for anyone to make. my answer is they should go wherever they're needed.

the sad thing is the city requires business owners to do all the heavy lifting and jumping through hoops instead of making the process easy to finish.

Despite the fact that several have popped up recently, it seems like we should have many, many more of these around town.... what's stopping that from happening?! I would love to know.

Greg Raisman
09-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Jonathan:

I agree that it would be great to see these in a lot more places. Also, it's still pretty early in their existance and I think both the design and process will be tweaked some.

However, I don't think this is a fair assessment of where things stand now:

[QUOTE=Jonathan Maus;6458]"the sad thing is the city requires business owners to do all the heavy lifting and jumping through hoops instead of making the process easy to finish."

I helped with the Belmont project and we used the current process to guide our efforts. I think it resulted in a lot of local communiy buy-in, a better understanding of how supportive the local businesses are of bike and ped improvements, and it was just a nice process to work on with my neighbors.

Anyone can see the process here: ftp://ftp.trans.ci.portland.or.us/raisman/On-Street%20Bike%20Parking/On-street%20bicycle%20parking%20.doc

I definitely do not see this as a "heavy lift" type process. It is inclusive, but not onerous. As a matter of fact, in the Belmont process, Bill Stites decided to take steps above and beyond what's required to satisfy his personal for making sure all effected people were in the loop.

I'd be happy to help anyone who is interested in pursuing these projects. Take a read of the process at the above link, then send me a private message to my account in these Forums or post to this thread.

I hope someone takes me up on the offer.

Thanks.
Greg