PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Connect needs mechanics

Greg Raisman
09-12-2007, 12:01 AM
There's a huge event called Homeless Connect that serves Portland's homeless community on September 18th (next Tuesday). There is going to be a booth there to work on people's bikes and the Community Cycling Center has offered a stand and some tools.

There's a need for mechanics though. Anyone out there a competent bike mechanic that would be willing to volunteer 2 hours to help homeless people fix their bikes?

Here's when we need people:

First shift (10-3)

Second shift (2:30-7:30)

If you can do it, send me a private message here on the Bike Forums -- or just post to this thread.

Thanks.
Greg

Greg Raisman
09-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi all:

Since I posted this, I haven't had a response here AND we've lost a couple of mechanics who had signed up. Last minute plea.... PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Thanks.
Greg

bikerinNE
09-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi all:

Since I posted this, I haven't had a response here AND we've lost a couple of mechanics who had signed up. Last minute plea.... PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Thanks.
Greg

i Have no beef with the homeless except, (and i do live in a high traffic area by providence hospital) most of there bikes appear to be lifted. Maybe they did save up and buy a bike for 5 bucks, who knows. I do know that I have a couple bikes I'm fixing up, and my parts bikes are chained up on my porch. Since they've been their, I've heard the homeless fellas that rummage through my recycling and trash every Thursday morning, also check to see that the bikes are in-fact locked to my porch. Oh yeah, and to the homeless can collector, i did see you steel my aluminum baseball bat off of my front lawn.

When they stop rifling through my trash and recycling, and not taking what doesn't belong to them, i will start fixing their bikes.

nuovorecord
09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
i Have no beef with the homeless except, (and i do live in a high traffic area by providence hospital) most of there bikes appear to be lifted. Maybe they did save up and buy a bike for 5 bucks, who knows. I do know that I have a couple bikes I'm fixing up, and my parts bikes are chained up on my porch. Since they've been their, I've heard the homeless fellas that rummage through my recycling and trash every Thursday morning, also check to see that the bikes are in-fact locked to my porch. Oh yeah, and to the homeless can collector, i did see you steel my aluminum baseball bat off of my front lawn.

When they stop rifling through my trash and recycling, and not taking what doesn't belong to them, i will start fixing their bikes.

This is sooooo cool! The really great thing about stereotypes and generalizations is that they free you from the thought process! Just lump all the homeless people into the "Scumbag" category and be done with it.

Sad.

bikerinNE
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
This is sooooo cool! The really great thing about stereotypes and generalizations is that they free you from the thought process! Just lump all the homeless people into the "Scumbag" category and be done with it.

Sad.

Stereotypes, and generalizations? I'm not generalizing, or being stereotypical, i was speaking about MY observations and experiences. There is a difference.

wsbob
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
"Stereotypes, and generalizations? I'm not generalizing, or being stereotypical, i was speaking about MY observations and experiences. There is a difference." bikerinNE

bikerinNE, well, if that's true, then as a participant in this event, you could happily fix the bikes of any homeless persons, except those that you know have ripped you off, or that you have a legitimate suspicion they are in the general habit of ripping people off, right? Sounds like this event really could use some good bike mechs.