PDA

View Full Version : One way bike lanes South Waterfront

orskier
08-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Last night while riding home from work, headed south on Moody St, just past the OHSU tram, there is a five or six block stretch where the bike lanes are one way. Traffic also seems to follow this one way theory, as they are required to by law. However, recently since the interuption of a particular intersection just west of the Old Spaghetti Factory, where the river trail starts, i have seen numerous groups of people riding against traffic in the wrong direction in the bike lane. Would you drive your car the wrong way on a one way street? Are those arrows above the bike so hard to read? When you ride against the flow of traffic on a one lane street, you completely give up any right of way. Not to mention, most drivers aren't going to look in the wrong direction to check for traffic, namely you. So when someone tells you that cycling the wrong way in the bike lane is wrong, guy on mountain bike with headphones, Don't just yell at them "F@#k you bitch!" That person, me, was just trying to inform you of your right to obey the posted traffic control devices, hence the bike lane with it's arrows. The other bike lane is one block to your east if you want to head north. Yes, many of our local bikers choose to ride the wrong way on one ways, but i'm willing to bet, most won't stop on the sidewalk (still going the wrong way)to cuss you out if you say something. So i sincerely hope you continue this behavior and meet the fender of a large delivery truck someday, cause with his blind spot he probably won't see you going the wrong way, and you won't have and rights to recourse, cause you were breaking the law.
Happy riding in the wrong direction!

aaa
08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I ran into the same thing (with a little less vitriol) in the very same area on a Saturday ride this past weekend. An older couple (later 60's?) both riding the wrong way in the bike lane in the area of the new aerial tram/south waterfront.

What the heck? I couldn't even fathom why they would thing to do that when they had a perfectly FINE lane on their site of the street.... Huh??

Cruizer
08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
orskier,

Sorry you had this unpleasant experience. The rider you encountered demonstrated that the only jerks on the road aren't in cars.

But thanks for the valuable reminder to the rest of us that bicyclists who choose to ride the wrong way not only place themselves at greater risk of being hit by a car (or truck!) but also give up any legal rights they might otherwise have. My understanding is that if a cyclist is at least 51% at fault in an accident, the driver's insurance company doesn't have to give them a cent toward bodily or property injury. Riding the wrong way gets you way over the 51% mark.

Haven_kd7yct
08-30-2007, 08:33 AM
1--- It's not a right to ride on the correct side of the street, it's a responsibility and a law.

2--- Also, it's just common sense. Riding against 35 mph traffic at 15mph gets you an impact with a car as if you were sitting still and the car was going 50. Riding with traffic, same numbers nets 20mph if you get hit. Don't know about you, but I like the 20mph better than the 50.

(Yes. I am a geek.)

:)

Donald
08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
I ride this section most days both ways. I didn't run into the opposing riders in the one-way until they blocked off the street leading to the Spaghetti Factory. There is no detour posted at all. So riders suddenly find themselves riding against traffic with no posted way out. Some figure it out. Some don't.

It should improve once the street reopens and there's a natural way to get to the North-bound bike lane.

Until then, watch yer six AND yer twelve.