PDA

View Full Version : Best chain lube for rainy weather

raruss1
08-29-2007, 07:21 AM
It did not seem that this one has been discussed before...
What I was wondering is what chain lubes do people use for winter commuting. I am using Pedros Extra Dry and dont like the way dirt seems to cling to it.

Any lubes that stay clean in wet and dirty conditions?

Thanks

lynnef
08-29-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm partial to White Lightning Epic. If the weather is going to be truly over the top bad, and I'm doing a long ride (long >= 6hrs) I'll pull out the Finish Line Cross County, knowing that I will have to clean my chain sometime soon thereafter.

Mondofresh
08-29-2007, 08:14 PM
WL works well. I apply after every rainy ride. But make sure to lube with teflon lube (tri-flow) every 20 miles or so.

Every 100 miles or so, soak your chain in gas or white-gas to get ride of the gunk.

Every 500 miles, consider replacing your chain depending on wear/stretch.

rainperimeter
08-29-2007, 11:57 PM
WL works well. I apply after every rainy ride. But make sure to lube with teflon lube (tri-flow) every 20 miles or so.

Every 100 miles or so, soak your chain in gas or white-gas to get ride of the gunk.

Every 500 miles, consider replacing your chain depending on wear/stretch.

and with all that obsessing you have time to ride when?

pro link is what i use...when my chain sounds starts to sound dry, but more often in winter.

lynnef
08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
My husband is a user of Pro-Link. We've got a diverse selection of chain lubes sitting on the bike tool box :-)

Just remember, there is White Lightning and White Lightning EPIC. Epic is for wet conditions.

mizake
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
i use tri flow year round. when i get home at the end of a rainy day, i wipe down the bike and esp. the chain. re-apply the tri flow maybe a couple of times per week and wipe off the excess. this has worked fantastically for the 7 years i've been biking in portland.

apocalypse
08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I've been commuting for 10+ years, about 1500 miles per year. I never found the need for anything more than WD40 sprayed on a rag and then freewheel the pedals so the chain moves through the rag.

I've only had to replace the chain once (after 7 years).

During the dry months, I lube the chain every 2 weeks. During the rainy months 1 to 2 times a week, depending on how gritty the chain gets.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

mizake
08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I've been commuting for 10+ years, about 1500 miles per year. I never found the need for anything more than WD40 sprayed on a rag and then freewheel the pedals so the chain moves through the rag.

I've only had to replace the chain once (after 7 years).

During the dry months, I lube the chain every 2 weeks. During the rainy months 1 to 2 times a week, depending on how gritty the chain gets.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

WD40 is not actually a lubricant, but a very thin solvent which evaporates quickly. It can be used for cleaning, but I would not suggest using it solely as a lubricant.

mizake
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
WD40 is not actually a lubricant, but a very thin solvent which evaporates quickly. It can be used for cleaning, but I would not suggest using it solely as a lubricant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

Okay, so it's not entirely a solvent, (15% mineral oil) but still not suitable as a bike chain lubricant.

Simple Nature
08-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow... this is a pretty tame discussion on chainlube. To many forums have this debate a few times a year when a new kid shows up on the block. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer as I am a fair weather rider... but I love the civility!

Oh, and my trike stays in the house, so if you can lean toward stuff that doesn't smell bad, all the better. I'm using Dumonde Tech Lube light but it has a bad habit of letting the chain rust with only an incling of wet.

Teflon, wax, oil are your real choices. If you have nickel plated or stainless chains, rust shouldn't be an issue and teflon should fit the bill, otherwise, a sticky greasy oil is the only thing that will protect the chain... but that means grit.

The stuff they put on chains from the factory is cosmoline. It fills all the crevises of the chain so grit won't go inside but it will get quite dirty on the outside. They dip the chain in a hot vat of it so it gets all the way inside. It also does a number on mucking up the cogs. Teflon and wax will remain reasonably clean and dry. Problem being that chain life will probably be reduced as grit starts working its way into the workings of the chain.

BillD
08-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I have been using White Lightning in dry weather and Boeshield T-9 in the rainy season. Seems to work OK. I usually wipe the chain down every couple of rides just to keep the leg clean. I have heard so many good recommendations about Pro-Link that I might try a bottle after my supply of White Lightning runs out.

raruss1
08-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I think that I am going to try out Progold Prolink. I have recieved the most positive responses for this.

norse rider
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Rock and Roll Lube. Bike and Hike has it. I would assume everyone else does as well. Da stuff is great.

Matt P.
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Teflon, wax, oil are your real choices. If you have nickel plated or stainless chains, rust shouldn't be an issue

It shouldn't but it is, at least in my experience. Then again, I ride 12.5 miles one way to work, so in the rainy months I'm getting a lot of water on the chain. I don't always remember to wipe the chain down or lube it regularly, which of course makes a difference.

"Stainless" is like "bulletproof" - works great in theory but sometimes not in practice. As with anything in life, the more you abuse it, the less it holds up.

Etchy
09-08-2007, 08:55 AM
here's some weirdness - I use a water-based "personal lubricant" mixed with Triflow in a 90/10 mix. this homemade lube makes cleanup easier but requires frequent relubes (almost daily during the rainy season).

rubbish heap
09-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Out of the three lubes I've tried, TriFlow has worked the best.

lazlo
09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
"Stainless" is like "bulletproof" - works great in theory but sometimes not in practice. As with anything in life, the more you abuse it, the less it holds up.[/QUOTE]

You're right; what's commonly called stainless steel is actually corrosion resistant steel.

huss
09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Tri-Flow, Tri-Flow, Tri-Flow.

tfahrner
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Any lubes that stay clean in wet and dirty conditions?
now that summer's finally here you want to know about winter lube?

no, i haven't found something that sticks to the chain in wet, but doesn't also stick dirt to it. i've tried lots. i've settled with boeshield t-9 wax lube for winter and prolink for summer. once every 2 weeks of daily riding in rain does the job, as long as you have full-coverage fenders with a front mudflap extending to within 2" of the ground. you have that, right? or get a bike with a chaincase and forget chain maintenance. seriously.