PDA

View Full Version : Portland Century

mcubed
08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I didn't ride, except riding from home to the park blocks and back, but I volunteered for the first finish-line shift. From what I could tell, everyone seemed to have a good time. I was struck by how many people made a point of coming to the information booth to express their gratitude and pleasure for how smoothly it all went, how well marked the routes were, and so on. The food was sure good, and the goodie-bags decent. One of the event organizers said they "very nearly" reached their cap of 1500 registered riders.

The only unpleasant thing I saw was a woman who got a bad gash on her leg, about two blocks from the finish line, when a pedestrian stepped out in front of her. Even she was in pretty good spirits, all things considered. (Maybe the beer we got her helped a bit in that regard.) She had done the 100-mile ride. I put some gauze on her wound while she kept her leg elevated and waited for her son to come get her and take her to the hospital. (Definitely needed stitches -- it was about a 3 1/2" gaping wound.) Otherwise I did fun stuff like setting up chairs, collecting garbage, serving beer, answering questions and manning the area where people left their bags.

So anyone here do any of the rides? How'd it go?

Mung
08-27-2007, 07:50 AM
I watched several hundreds of the riders ride through the neighborhood with nary a look or hesitation to stop at the designated stop signs. Three in the area I was able to see. This says a lot about why share the road doesn't work.

Oldguyonabike
08-27-2007, 10:12 AM
My first century and happy to have done it. Sunny in morning but cooled off nicely for the hills around Bull Run. The blueberry smoothies blended with bike powered blender were awesome and just right to prep for the climb. Is there ever NOT a headwind on Marine Drive? Thank you volunteers! Very well supported from the breakfast at the start line to the salmon dinner/beer at the end. The main complaint from last year was that people got lost but overall the signage was clear for me and I found my way home - to ice and a bottle of ibuprofen ;-)
I admit to blowing some stop signs - after slowing down, looking both ways and moving on only if clear.

Haven_kd7yct
08-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Re: Marine Drive:

Depends on the time of year. And what the weather's doing. And which direction you're heading. :)

Maybe next year, they could run it in reverse, so everyone gets at least a chance at a tailwind on Marine Drive. :)

ephany
08-29-2007, 02:34 AM
I worked the 25 mile rest stop. I can confirm that the strawberry shortcake was excellent and the riders I talked to were overall very happy with lots of compliments for route, markings, food etc.

My full write up is here. (http://ephany.blogspot.com/2007/08/portland-century.html)

And some pictures (http://flickr.com/photos/ephany/sets/72157601681184674/)