PDA

View Full Version : Direct action to shut down dangerous impatient drivers.

baselbanks
08-23-2007, 11:52 PM
As you may be aware, an angry redneck assaulted two bicyclists with his car in inner southeast Portland this week. (See http://bikeportland.org/2007/08/22/a-visit-to-se-clinton-street/)

This happened on a stretch of road known as a "rat run" where extra-impatient drivers go to cut in line for the Ross Island bridge.

Partly to bring visibility to this deranged act that has so far evaded it, and partly to prevent it from happening again, this rat run is going to be shut down.

No, not by our friendly civic leaders - by us.

I have a plan. If memory serves, I think it can work. If anyone else is tired of this kind of shit and wants to do something besides whine on the internet, respond here and we can set up a meeting.

bikerinNE
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I've gone to things like this before, and usually only a few people show up.

If more than three people make a commitment to show up and demonstrate that this action will not be tolerated, then I will show up. It's a good idea, but people need to follow through.

baselbanks
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
not talking about some lame sign holding party here kids,.. or getting arrested, or our faces on tv or any pointless crap like that.

talking about shutting down the rat run, at least for a bit. or maybe we could just make some really polite phone calls to city officials, have 130 meetings, get a page 11 story in the boregonian, and two years from now get a nice green sign? (and naturally put the whole story on our websites)

wrinkles
08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
baselbanks, please do not include ME in your *US*. I think you might need to step back and count to ten before you try some outlaw tactics that may backfire. And please keep in mind that I am a bicyclist who is as wary of motorists as the next cyclist.
First of all, the motorist (I have no idea why you characterize him as a 'redneck') who slammed his car into the two cyclists is being prosecuted, and rightly so. Your posting suggests that he is getting away without notice or punishment.
Second, you suggest closing this road 'partly to bring visibility to this deranged act that has so far evaded it.' In my reading and viewing, I judge visibility, due to coverage by local news outlets as well as the web, to be extraordinarily high—again, rightly so.
Third, what you term the 'rat run' I consider the route I have followed for decades to escape the traffic backup at Powell and Milwaukie when motoring southbound on 11th and heading for the Ross Island Bridge. I don't think of it as cutting in', but, rather, as helping traffic flow. Needless to say, unlike the assaultive driver of the incident under discussion, I do not drive that shortcut aggressively nor with the idea that mowing down cyclists is OK.
I sense some unwritten history behind your outrage which is difficult to discern in your terse—and at times facetious, if I am reading as you intended—postings. While I reject your call to shut down the rat run, I wonder if you would enlighten us as to what experiences have made you decide that such a drastic measure is necessary.

baselbanks
08-26-2007, 11:35 AM
So thats 117 for whining on the internet, 1 for doing something if everyone else does it, and 1 redneck line-cutter?

Great.

bikerinNE
08-26-2007, 12:57 PM
So thats 117 for whining on the internet, 1 for doing something if everyone else does it, and 1 redneck line-cutter?

Great.

Hey smart dude, my post didn't say that I'd go if everyone else does. But, what good is three people standing on the side of the road, protesting for action to be taken. People respond to numbers, period.

My post stated that i've gone to events like your wanting to start up. I was the first person to show up at the event, and if memory serves me correct, only 4 other people showed up. The media was supposed to respond, and what not. But with a group of 5, it didn't make much of an impact....

So, YES.... IF EVERYONE GOES, THAT WOULD BE GREAT, THAT'S THE IDEA... smart dude.

brock
08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
"not talking about some lame sign holding party here kids,.. or getting arrested, or our faces on tv or any pointless crap like that."

What are you talking about then?

toddistic
08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
i was kinda wondering the same thing

beelnite
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Let's give him a chance - I thought maybe after reading the stories on the site and the visit to Clinton street there was some type of public meeting we could attend. As a person who works in gov I can tell you that public hearings are poorly attended and like earlier posts... numbers can carry a lot of weight.

We wouldn't an entire group, though that's somewhat impressive, but one very strong advocate who can claim to represent cyclists also works. I wonder if reps from BTA or other groups would consider carrying the torch... that's the value of non-profit membership counts when it comes to activism.

Anyway - though we haven't flushed everything out in this thread at least it's admirable that our originator is itching to get involved. OK Basel - how can we help?

Our meeting is right now. What's the plan?

mattmeskill
09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Thank you for for your calm attitude. It was refreshing.