PDA

View Full Version : Re: Moving to PDX next month...

shamrock0325
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone-
I hope this is okay to post this here. I am getting ready to move from Detroit, MI to the Portland area next month and am just seeking some advice on what area to look for rental property, possible work etc....
I am 28, and thought I was too young for a mid-life crisis. Don't really think that is the case. I just need a new home. Don't have much keeping me here any longer. In fact I'm not originally from here. I am a Barnett's certified mechanic, and have retail store management experience. Any one have some suggestions on where I should begin to look. I don't have my heart set on working in a shop again, but I am good at it and do really enjoy the work. However work is just what puts food on the table and a roof over your head. Anything is better than nothing right? And retail is pretty much all the same.
The economy here is bad, and the weather is worse. I have some small delusions of grandeur about cycling, and think it would be better to live and train in Oregon than Michigan. Yeah I know- some of you are probobly thinking I'm crazy since I should be looking at San Diego, or Boulder or something with sunny days year round. Nope- At the end of the day I'm a cyclocrosser. And I also plan on returning to school in the future to finish my undergrad studies when I'm there long enough to get residency. Any and all helpfull suggestions will ge greatly appreciated. Thanks- Look forward to making some new friends and riding partners.

adab
08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Hello!

Well, right now there seems to be a lot of housing available just about everywhere around here. Generally, the cheaper parts of town are in Beaverton, Hillsboro, and Tigard. Those are all just about 15 minutes away from downton pdx. However, I have found some really good deals in Sw, Ne, and Se Pdx. Check out craigslist, there's a lot there. Good luck and congratulations on your move!

nishiki
08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi everyone-
I hope this is okay to post this here. I am getting ready to move from Detroit, MI to the Portland area next month and am just seeking some advice on what area to look for rental property, possible work etc....
I am 28, and thought I was too young for a mid-life crisis. Don't really think that is the case. I just need a new home. Don't have much keeping me here any longer. In fact I'm not originally from here. I am a Barnett's certified mechanic, and have retail store management experience. Any one have some suggestions on where I should begin to look. I don't have my heart set on working in a shop again, but I am good at it and do really enjoy the work. However work is just what puts food on the table and a roof over your head. Anything is better than nothing right? And retail is pretty much all the same.
The economy here is bad, and the weather is worse. I have some small delusions of grandeur about cycling, and think it would be better to live and train in Oregon than Michigan. Yeah I know- some of you are probobly thinking I'm crazy since I should be looking at San Diego, or Boulder or something with sunny days year round. Nope- At the end of the day I'm a cyclocrosser. And I also plan on returning to school in the future to finish my undergrad studies when I'm there long enough to get residency. Any and all helpfull suggestions will ge greatly appreciated. Thanks- Look forward to making some new friends and riding partners.

1- You're lost! Portland is not the solution.
2- Go back to school and complete your program.
3- The economy is what it is everywhere. Good, smart and versatile workers will get a good job whether they live in Portland or Detroit.

Simple Nature
08-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Portland is fueled by high tech and housing costs are gauged accordingly. Indeed, you will find enough job prospects in all sectors. It might be best to find the work situation and then find the best place to live. Commuting is a serious consideration in the underfunded planning of the PDX infastructure. Good thing is that public transit (trimet/max) is highly rated in PDX as long as you have the funds for the monthly pass (read: extortion).

Every towns has it's high rent districts and its low so whatever you will be comfortable with will be available. Just know that low rent here is middle of the road in a lot of other towns.

The weather will definitely be a lot milder on this side of the divide.

toddwaddell
08-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Having relocated from the Maryland/Washington DC area a couple of years ago, I can tell you that my wife and I have no regrets at all. Oregon is a great state (overall) and Portland is a fantastic city.

I don't have a specific suggestion about neighborhood or area for housing. But would suggest that you look for a place in the city. The Portland 'burbs are better than most, but you do loose a lot of the city's vitality.

And not to criticize, but speaking as someone who took 8 years to get around to finishing their undergrad, but who then when on to complete a masters and now works in higher ed. Finish your degree first! Don't loose all those credits by moving somewhere else!

Sorry, will get off soapbox.

Safe travels.

-Todd