PDA

View Full Version : Bike lock ettiquette?

Duncan
08-19-2007, 03:49 PM
My son and I biked up to Powells to get some books, and there was an empty sign with a bike lock on it. I figured somebody was going to be bummed when they got home and realized that their bike lock was still attached to the pole, but locked up to the pole (my bike and my sons)... when I get back the lock (cable) is run through my bike, my sons bike and a third bike, effectively trapping us all there... I am about to call a locksmith, have the cable cut and call it a day when a young woman shows up and starts to unlock the bike. I asked her "hey did you intentionaly lock all our bikes up and she says that her friend left her bike there for her. She apologized (not her fault really), and as it was only a couple minutes I wasnt pissed (beyond having a crappy weekend I mean, but she had nothing to do with that), but it seemed to me that a person would have to try to lock two other bikes together (ie not accidental)- is there some kind of etiquette that states a bike locking place is reserved by the presance of the lock, a memo I missed or something?

toddistic
08-19-2007, 06:41 PM
i did it once unintentially, in a drunken stooper when i returned realized what i had done but the other person's bike was still there so i guess everything turned out ok.

Jakelin
08-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Was there room for a third bike on the same pole? If there wasn't I'm guessing she probably thought she would beat you guys out of the store and figured locking her bike to a bike that is locked to the pole would work, and blamed it on "a friend" when she was embarassed to see you there. I mean how many people have their friends return a bike by locking it up in front of Powells? And wasn't there another pole she could have locked up to?

But regarding the 'reservation' of racks, it is every man/woman/child for themselves as far as I can tell at PSU. If I see a lock on a rack, I'll lock up to the next one if there is another one open not because I consider it reserved, but because I don't need someone not very carefully removing their lock and accidently messing up a spoke or something. If there isn't another one open I have no problems locking up to it.

Some people leave their locks on racks down there so they don't have to cart them around (myself included) and there is no guarentee that they are even going to be at the PSU that particular day. When someone locks up to a rack I had my lock on it doesn't bother me in the slightest and I'll get it and lock up to a different rack. I'm just trying to lighten my load by the 7 pounds my lock weighs for my commute.

I'm guessing you just happened into a very uncommon situation. I'm glad it only held you up a few minutes.

Duncan
08-20-2007, 04:04 AM
i did it once unintentially, in a drunken stooper when i returned realized what i had done but the other person's bike was still there so i guess everything turned out ok.

OC it was still there... you had locked it down!:rolleyes:

rainperimeter
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
recently at a show at ground kontrol somebody with their p.o.s. fixie conversion and hardware store chain lock had me stuck to a staple rack. i was super pissed and had decided that if when i was ready to go and i was still locked up with this dude, everything was getting loosened on his bike. wheels, chainring bolts, handle bars and stem, brake cables, whatever. the other bike was gone by the time i was ready to take off fortunately.

you can't reserve a spot to lock up and if you're gonna use a big chain or cable pay attention to other bikes locked near you...

toddistic
08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
OC it was still there... you had locked it down!:rolleyes:

whoops! :P

Mofopotomus
08-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I've never met anybody who thinks they have a reserved bike lock spot. Like some have said, people sometimes like to leave a lock behind so they won't have to carry it. I do like the imaginative bike justice though. My advice is if you find yourself in such a fix you should re-lock your bike so that it's looped through their brake cable. They have you, and now you have them. Eye for an eye man. Ghandi said something about that...I'm pretty sure he was for it. ;)

Haven_kd7yct
08-22-2007, 08:51 AM
They have you, and now you have them. Eye for an eye man. Ghandi said something about that...I'm pretty sure he was for it. ;)

"Not an eye for an eye is the golden rule; just leaves a room full of blind men"

But, yes, re-lock things so you've got their bike locked up with your lock. Maybe they will learn that it's not cool to do that. It's rude.

nm973
08-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Or better yet, break their cable, lock your U-Lock to the bike, and come back in a few days to get your U-Lock. :) Really vindictive, but I think they will get the hint, and if they had to break your lock, at least they had to go through the troubles to break it.