PDA

View Full Version : Interested in tours?

toddrun
08-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Lately, I've been kicking around an idea having to do with providing bike tours. It's not a well formed idea yet, but I'd like to hone it and see if there's something worth pursuing. I'm looking for one or more creative bike fanatics who would be interested in brainstorming, exploring and experimenting with different, slightly out-of-the-ordinary ways of making a living with your butt in a bike saddle.

Send me an email or private message through the forum, or add a post and I'll get in touch with you.

Cheers,

Todd

mcubed
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm neither a bike fanatic nor particularly creative, but I still think this is a great idea and I hope you and/or others pursue it. It's definitely something I'd be interested in as a customer. One of the more attractive aspects of Pedalpalooza is the opportunity to explore new areas and paths with a guide (the more knowledgeable, the better of course). It would be awesome if that kind of opportunity was available year-round, geared toward different skill and experience levels, and so on. Good luck!

Simple Nature
08-17-2007, 09:05 PM
...but don't forget about trikes :)

The trick is to offer a well organized tour with great accomidations. Good food is neccessary and safe bike parking and comfy beds sell. This means getting cozy with service providers and getting your cut. Most of all, people want to know what the bottom line will be. You will need a minimum of 2 guides (head and tail?) and fool-proof routes (read: safe and reliable). Camping tours are optional for low budget tours (although that's less for you) that will require a well stocked sag wagon. Mid ride (daily) "adventures" are always a plus (sightseeing; cultural; exploring...).

Good luck and let us know if you want to do this for real.

Psyfalcon
08-17-2007, 10:59 PM
What about around town tours? Might not be what you're looking for, I can't see a ton of profit in it. Maybe as a side thing for "Touring" tours though, showing people the bike routes and ways to local destinations.

Might be a good idea for slow periods?

toddrun
08-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Hmmm. All good thoughts!

So, let's see if I can put this into more concrete terms. Again, this is just an idea that's brewing, so any input, suggestions or critiques are welcomed.

I'm thinking along the lines of visitors and tourists. It would basically be a walking tour, but on bikes, allowing for a much greater area to be covered in a fairly short time. The tours would include history and highlights of Portland (or at least the core area) with special attention given to bike related features. Because we're talking about visitors, the tours would need to be family friendly. Trailers/tagalongs for kids and trikes (great idea) would be needed. The default for hills would be to walk them (though the guides would judge the customers ability). You'd probably need at least 2 guides, with an extra guide after a certain number of riders (10???).

Obviously, Simple Nature was thinking along the lines of a longer tour designed for cycling enthusiasts. While the lodging and food wouldn't be involved, I wonder there is a way to do some cross promotion with a few bike friendly businesses who are interested in getting some tourism income - perhaps a restaurant could be persuaded to offer free lemonades mid-ride in exchange for a few minutes of unabashed self promotion.

So, again, this is all just ideas with no real substance. But do others think that this is something that is doable here in Portland? We obviously have the infrastructure to create a multitude of 2-4 hour easy (meaning fairly flat) rides around the core area that includes many sites of interest to visitors. We also have businesses that are seeing the value of bikes (kudos to the Hotel Monaco for their Carless vacation package). Is this something that has some merit?

Let me know your thoughts!