PDA

View Full Version : Your experience in court for traffic ticket?

santospdx
08-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi all,

I am yet another person in SE who has gotten a $242 ticket for riding through a stop sign (coasting right in front of my own house on a Saturday afternoon, as a matter of fact -- not even on a major street or bike route). I have read all the other posts about how people handled the situation, but I can not figure out exactly what will happen when I go to court.

Assuming the cop shows up, what should I do to get that class that everyone says they have been offered? Some people have been stuck with a $180-plus fine, while other people get off with a $30-ish class. What is the difference in what those two groups have done?

Do I go to court?

Do I plead guilty or not guilty or no contest?

Will the judge ask me questions? Do I have to admit what I did? or should I plead extenuating circumstances?

(I should mention that I am unquestionably guilty of the offense, but also entirely unappologetic. So it would be preferable for me to not have to make up something, since I don't want to incriminate myself nor contradict the word of the officer, and I also don't want to slip up and give my real opinion of all of this b.s. either.)

Will the judge offer me the class? or will I have to ask for it? or does the cop suggest it? When does this offer/request take place?

Finally, has anyone had a bad experience with a particular judge? and what was the result of that?

THANKS very much to all of you who have posted your experiences here before, and thanks in advance to all of you who reply to these questions. I truly appreciate the effort.

Santos

Mofopotomus
08-14-2007, 09:13 AM
one word of advice: wear a suit. I hate to say it but if you walk in there dressed to impress and are at least respectful you'll be more likely to get a little more leniency.