PDA

View Full Version : Hit by car on commute home...

worldsafari
08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
this is the second time I have been hit, both driving Lexus cars oddly enough. Anyway I was wanting some advice on how to approach this situation. The first time I was hit I just really wanted my bike fixed so I could get back on the road. I took it to 7 Corners and had Corey check it out, and he signed off saying all was well. So I just had the guy cover a new helmet since my head had an impact and had him cover the slight tune-up on the bike. Less than $100 all together, getting off pretty flippin easy considering you can get an almost $300 ticket for riding a fixed gear. What the hell are the repricusions for a motor vehicle driving when they "cant stop", jack shit apperently. Let me also state that I'm not a fixed gear rider, this happened on a fully geared bike with brakes. Anyway, this time the guy pulled out right in front of me as I was going through Grand Ave and Salmon after waiting for the car in front of hime to go, it was then my turn. So, no need to take the frame to Corey this time, the frame is totally crumpled on the toptube and downtube. I just dont want to make the same mistake last time and jump into anything too fast. I have all the guys info including insurance company as well as having a police report filed at the scene. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attornatus_Oregonensis
08-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Consult an attorney. Check the BTA site and the Oregon State Bar site.

Rixtir
08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Ray Thomas and Mark Ginsberg both specialize in bicycle law here in town.

wsbob
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I'd love to hear more details about this incident to get a better sense of exactly what happened; how you managed to get off the bike before being crushed like it did, and whether you were on a bike path, but maybe you better keep it on the Q.T., until, as the others suggested, you talk to an attorney.