PDA

View Full Version : Bike on MAX Survey being handed out

SyntaxPolice
08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
This morning, my fellow cyclists and I were each handed a survey having to do with bikes on the max. It seems to focus a bit on rush hour.

At the risk of impacting a neutral survey, from my reading it sounds as if they'd like to get fewer people to take their bikes on the max, and leave them at "secure parking" at the stations instead.

I know why I prefer to bring my bike on the max, but why do you folks do so? If I were Trimet, I would be thinking, "This isn't going to scale." It's already pretty crowded in the evenings, and I've heard that some people get kicked off.

Some days, I ride all the way from Southeast to my work in Beaverton, but usually I take the max. Maybe we should have a regular commuter ride "over the hill" to encourage each-other. It's quite doable :)

peace,

isaac

Mofopotomus
08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I use the max mainly to get my butt out to Beaverton/Hillsboro area, but once I get there I usually bike from the max station to my destination (usually a friend's house), and that's why the bike comes with me.

For a station to be used by me I would need them to be super secure, easy to use, CHEAP, and able to leave my bike there overnight because I'm giving up some of my personal freedom, and my friends are going to have to drive me

wyeast
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Secure parking at the Park'n'Rides could reduce the # of bikes travelling into downtown, but I don't think it would affect much the # of bikes going to the suburbs, where connections-by-bus aren't an appealing alternative.

Makes me wonder if there could be some way to temporarily boost MAX's carrying capacity for bikes during rush hour (that didn't adversely impact passenger capacity) - like replacing the "trees" with a more space- efficient rack or box layout or even something as dopey as a secured "bike trailer" hitched to the back of the train with lockers for maybe a dozen or so bikes? Something like the keyless lockers you see at some airports/bus stations that spits out a barcoded slip that you use to retreive your bike?

Tho' I guess you'd need an armload of cameras because inevitably some idiot will think the bike locker's a cool place to stash an M-80 or a couple smoke bombs for giggles.

If it's a thing for regular commuters, you could issue passes (like a keyfob) that you scan to secure the locker?