PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a trailer mod

lily407
08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I need help figuring out how to transport my old ma.
She never learned how to ride a bike and she's now somewhat advanced in years. I would like to take her around by the wonderful transportation mechanism we know as bicycling, but how?
I am thinking something like the bike trailers manufactured for kids, but modified for a 5ft 6in 115 pound adult. I like the fact that the trailers can take some impact, they are waterproof, light, and have a low center of gravity. Do any companies make an adult-sized one? Does anyone know how to modify a child's trailer for someone who fits the above description and can no longer arise easily from a sitting position?
Or do you have a different suggestion entirely?

Rixtir
08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Is she too advanced in years to ride an adult tricycle?

drosen
08-06-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't know what your budget is, but try going to http://www.pedicab.com/shop.html and there are some cool rickshaws out there. I bet you could get one used for a decent price.

Val
08-06-2007, 09:54 AM
How about this: http://www.tonystrailers.com/vehiclesfordisabled/ ?

Tbird
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
You could rent a Bak at Clever Cycles for not too much $$

Mofopotomus
08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I've seen one of those Bakfiets bikes being ridden by an adult with his wife and child in the front basket. He didn't seem to have any troubles at all so that might be just the ticket for cheuffering your ma.

They also have the added advantage of having your people in front of you so you can maintain a conversation and they feel more like passengers and less like cargo.

BeerdedOne
08-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Cycletote makes a nice, solid trailer for adult sized passengers too, though probably not as comfy as the Trail-a-Chair from Tony's Trailers, but not $1800 either:

http://www.cycletote.com/special_needs.html

lily407
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the helpful replies! I am leaning toward the Cycletote right now - great suggestion. I never would have found that site on my own.

BeerdedOne
08-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey great!

They are fantastically built trailers- I haul my dog (and occasionally my stuff) around in one. The guy who builds them is friendly and will work with you to make sure that the fit will be good for your particular setup.. one caveat..

'Due to cost', they use non-metric bolts for the hitch assembly. I just don't get that at all. Had I known, I would have asked them to build an all-metric setup. It's a bit nit-picky, I guess, but having to carry extra tools isn't great either.

Also, they will ship your wheels (you can get it without wheels for a little off the total price) with schraeder valve tires- I use presta and carry just an extra tube for both the trailer and my bike tires... so I had to fix that too.

Aside from those quirks, they are very solid, reasonable weight and well thoughtout and will last a lifetime (and have a lifetime warranty), good luck!