PDA

View Full Version : Interstate Avenue Light Timing

karmat
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
I commute every day down Interstate Ave to downtown (a HUGE bike commuter route) and I've found that there are numerous safety problems. The primary one is that at most times of the day the stop light timing is terrible for bikes. I end up stopping at almost every light, including the one at the bottom of the hill. It's actually fairly dangerous not to be able to make it through the light at the bottom of the hill because many people who don't ride this route regularly don't realize it's not really possible to make the light and go flying past me down the hill, then are forced to slam on their brakes and nearly skid into the intersection. The problem is compounded by the fact that the yellow is just too short for bike reaction times and braking distances at 25 - 30mph which you can easily do down this hill.

You might get through on yellow if you're really cranking hard in high gear--I don't do that for safety's sake, as there are often people waiting to turn left and they jump through on yellow when they see the cars stopping, and the overpass right at the light makes traffic totally blind to you from the right, coming from Greeley. Instead I take it easy down the hill, and stop about 2/3 of the way down, then use the remaining hill to pick up speed to make sure I make it through the next light which is also timed too short.

The second problem is that the bike lane narrows significantly under the overpass to Broadway. Right at the narrowest point, there is also a recessed drain. That forces bikes onto the white line at the narrowest part of the road. With the amount of heavy truck traffic (primarily dump trucks and semis headed out from the UP yard) this is a disaster waiting to happen. I always hold back and wait for all the traffic to pass me before attempting this section of road. I see others who are not so cautious, perhaps because they don't know what lies ahead.

I'm wondering what can be done about it. Who do I talk to at the city to request changes? Has anyone done this kind of thing and can share their direct experiences?

toddistic
08-02-2007, 09:15 AM
why not just go over half a mile and enjoy the williams / vancouver cooridor? if you feel its not safe.

JayS.
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Get in touch with PDOT. They are more responsive than many people think and should at least look at the situation..

karmat
08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
why not just go over half a mile and enjoy the williams / vancouver cooridor? if you feel its not safe.

I could do that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having the bike lanes on Interstate, don't you think? Plus its actually pretty out of the way compared to where I'm headed (I live 2 blocks off Interstate, and I cross on the Steel Bridge to my office on 1st). Probably would add 30% to my commute. And there are lots of other people using this route. I mean lots.

Karl

karmat
08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Get in touch with PDOT. They are more responsive than many people think and should at least look at the situation..

Thanks JayS, I'll do that.