PDA

View Full Version : superlight tote wanted

grahamaross
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
In an effort to make my commute as lightweight and comfortable as possible I've squeezed the essentials into a small under-seat bag. But picking up some groceries on the way home is still a hassle. I have to ride one-handed or no-handed, which is a nuisance uphill.

I dream of a superlight messenger-style or camelback-style mesh bag which would roll up to be about the size of a lipstick. The mesh would be very coarse. For small items this imaginary bag would rely on being lined with a plastic or paper grocery bag. It would allow me to bring home a loaf of bread and a jug of wine, while stowing easily between uses into my tiny underseat bag and weighing less than an ounce. It might be made of monofilament fishing line or 1mm nylon cord or something like that. It wouldn't fit me very well, but it wouldn't cost much either.

Does my fantasy bag exist?

wsbob
07-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Can't you use one of those brown plastic shopping bags that are thrown away by the millions everyday? I haven't tried it, but it would seem as though they would collapse into quite a small mound. As I recall (I don't use them personally), they have two pretty good size holes for your hands, but you might want to try rig something up with cord to turn it into a backpack affair.

I've seen a friend hang two of those full, one on each side of his handlebars to balance things out. I wouldn't want to do it, but he seems to make it work for short distances.

wrinkles
08-01-2007, 08:49 AM
If you want low-cost, try an empty onion or orange bag: a sort of knit plastic mesh, lightweight. You would need to weave a longer cord or strap through it for over-the-shoulder use. It may not collapse quite to lipstick size, but, hey, it's free. I carry one of these in my fanny pack when hiking. It can hold mushrooms and trail trash--but not both at once.
A similar solution--and slightly more fashionable, perhaps--would be a string bag.

Val
08-01-2007, 10:01 AM
You could also try: http://www.banjobrothers.com/products/01120.php Any decent LBS should be able to order one. You might need a slightly larger seat bag, but not much.