PDA

View Full Version : Good local wheel people?

the Wumpus
07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Can anyone recommend a good shop or mechanic to pester about some decent wheels? My Randonee's rear wheel just ate another spoke, and I'm beginning to feel suspicious about the other 34. They've got a lot of miles on them anyway, and the rims are a bit on the lightweight side for the kind of stuff I haul around, so rebuilding isn't looking too attractive.

I live up a little north of Vancouver and don't drive, so I make a lot of errand running rides between 10 miles round trip for the shortest to 60 or more if I've got a couple of stops to make around Portland. Wheels falling apart really don't help out with that! I'm hoping someone locally might have some suitable wheels hanging around, but even if I do wind up ordering online I'd like to find someone knowledgeable who can go over the wheels and make sure everything's kosher.

rubbish heap
07-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Veloce and Bike Central are two of the best places in town for wheelbuilding. They aren't cheap though - both charge $40 a wheel for labor charges. A quality handbuilt wheel is well worth the extra money over a novice or machine built wheel. Also, don't get stingy when it comes to spokes - double butted build into a longer lasting (and lighter) wheel than straight gauged.

mizake
07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Veloce and Bike Central are two of the best places in town for wheelbuilding. They aren't cheap though - both charge $40 a wheel for labor charges. A quality handbuilt wheel is well worth the extra money over a novice or machine built wheel. Also, don't get stingy when it comes to spokes - double butted build into a longer lasting (and lighter) wheel than straight gauged.

dean builds the best wheels ever

therecyclery
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
TheRecyclery does hand built wheels for $40 each plus parts cost.

nuovorecord
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
I've had great wheelsets built at both Veloce and Sellwood Cycle Repair. You can't go wrong, either way.

pdxtex
08-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I'll vouch for veloce too. They might seem a little snooty upon first impressions, but they totally know what they are doing. They fixed a broken spoke and trued my crappy tawainese rim to a T and its never riden better. Oh yeah, and all for 15 bucks out the door.

arcellus
08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I can also vouch for Bike Central, and Veloshop builds great wheels as well.