PDA

View Full Version : neck injury

vseven
07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
My brother in law crashed last night, broke his neck at C5 or 6 in surgery tonight. Foot and 50 % hand paralysis, one side... so , not too bad I hope, anyone have experience or thoughts on recovery ? He is in a halo brace, med flighted to the hosp. b/c was in a rural town when he crashed.

wsbob
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow, tough break. Here's thoughts/karma/ prayers for a speedy, uplifting recovery. Movement is encouraging. Even so, I imagine this recovery will be a quite a challenge for him.

SpeedRacer
07-26-2007, 09:47 PM
My brother in law crashed last night, broke his neck at C5 or 6 in surgery tonight. Foot and 50 % hand paralysis, one side... so , not too bad I hope, anyone have experience or thoughts on recovery ? He is in a halo brace, med flighted to the hosp. b/c was in a rural town when he crashed.

He's lucky. Many have died in rural settings. It's the price we pay for food.

the Wumpus
07-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I've become slightly familiar with the nerves through C5 and C6 since I've been dealing with a bad disc there for a while. There are nerves which exit the spine to the arms in that area. (that's my issue, a disc is pressing on one of those nerves) The 50% hand paralysis might possibly point to one of those nerves, mine can cause the inside half of my arm down through the thumb and index finger to go numb if I don't take care of it. I think the nerves for the other side of the arm exit between C6 and C7.

But that's a long way from the legs, not good. That might mean an injury to the spinal cord, or further damage down the spine a ways. In any case, he's lucky to be alive! The hardest part is over, he made it to proper medical care. But it's still a terrible injury. Even if the symptoms were only caused by pressure or bruising of his spinal cord and everything starts working again once the pressure is relieved, a broken neck will still be something he'll always deal with at some level. Necks are very useful! Arms and legs, too!

Keep us updated on how he's doing!

vseven
07-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey... thanks for the kind words and thoughts/tips. Turns out it was 5,6 &7. He has total paralysis in the right arm and leg. Nerves were not severed, they put rods in the spine and grafted bone from the hip. Surgeon is really pessimistic, I remember when I broke a leg and crushed a nerve and had paralysis they told me I'd never come back. I did, partially. Maybe he can too ? Especially if the nerves were not severed ???

BTW, he was wearing a helmet, did an endo at pretty slow speed, this is so not right.

Ride safe my friends and use a light after dark, please. (he wasn't)

wsbob
07-27-2007, 11:10 PM
This is a lesson for us all. The slow speed endo, at night, without lights. vseven, if you don't mind answering, could I ask how old he was? I'm just wondering a bit whether less flexible bones that most of us get as we age, might have been a factor here.

Good, unexpected things can happen for people with paralysis. It's especially inspiring when they do. Again, wishing the best for your brother in law.

vseven
07-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Dan is 50, he is in good physical shape, a biker, runner, swimmer, kayaker, climber and hiker....you get the picture ( 6 ft 3 inches, maybe 190.) That's why the injury is so devastating. We can all learn, all thoughts and tips are appreciated and let's all be as safe and smart as possible. Thanks again for your advice good wishes and tips.

vseven
08-01-2007, 05:52 AM
He can move both arms and has some limited movement in one leg !
This is very encouraging, it's only been one week.

Breathing and swallowing are difficult, he's in rehab now, hopefully it will be a little better each day.

Pedal safe friends :)