PDA

View Full Version : will i be okay on my jcpenney cruiser?

sweetwankle
07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm an inexperienced rider visiting from Seattle in about 2 weeks. My boyfriend and I are riding down on the sweet new Shared Route bio-diesel van. The van let's you take bike's on for free.

So we plan on riding around Portland mostly on bike and if there is anything we can't get to we would just use Flexcar.

I google mapped most places we want to go and they seem to be like 4-10 minute drives. I figure on a bike they will be more like 10-20 minute bike rides.

Is it true that most of Portland is flat? What is most important is will we be able to ride around like I think we will? Our hostel is in the NW area on 18th and Gilsan.

Also, any scenic rides we should take let me know.

This is a list of the places we want to check out so far. Tell me if it's impossible.

wilson pool - if its hot
jackpot records
vendetta - i heard there is shuffleboad and a nice outdoor patio

thank you for reading.

nm973
07-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Portland is mostly flat, as long as you don't head west from where you are staying, there is a big hill there, and thier is no way around it. If I recall correctly the Wilson Pool is in the west hills, so if you don't want to climb, I would use Flex car for that one.
If you want to explore the west side, you could take the Max (Light rail/train) and it will take you to the top of the hills and you can get off where you want.
I would recommend riding the springwater corridor, at least the section that goes by Waterfront Park and the other side of the river, crossing on Hawthorne bridge, do not cross on Sellwood bridge unless you are very comfortable on a bike and don't mind harry situations.
You may want to check out the area around Pioneer Square.
Also check out Washington park, it is all hills but it has the Zoo, the chinese gardens and the rose gardens. It is a really cool park.
If you like hiking trails, check out Forest Park.
Hope that helps.

Rixtir
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Hostel to Jackpot is mostly flat, a slight downhill at Jackpot. Slight uphill leaving Jackpot to go back to the hostel.

Hostel to Vendetta is more or less flat, with the bridge being the only real uphill.

Rixtir
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Also, any scenic rides we should take let me know.What kinds of things would you like to see?

If you're into roses, the Rose Garden should be in full bloom right now. That would be an uphill ride from your hostel, not too much uphill work until the last couple of blocks, or you could take the max to the zoo and ride from there.

wyeast
07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Ditto on the big fat hill to the west of you being in the way.

For westside destinations, either Flexcar or take the bike onboard MAX then ride again once you get into Beaverton. Bear in mind (I think) that you'll need to reserve by phone when using Flexcar outside your home area, so plan ahead accordingly.

Unfortunately, Wilson Pool isn't well located for a MAX ride, but you can also take the bus (and strap the bike to the front rack as needed) down Terwilliger.

Check out the links for local bike maps (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34809) to find good paths to where you're going. Be aware that in the downtown core it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, but ok most other places. Bring a good lock! Even with a JCPenney cruiser we have a pretty foul bike theft problem.

Enjoy your trip! :D

sweetwankle
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
wow. thanks for all the responses back. i will look into the rose and chinese gardens.

thanks again!!

sweetwankle
07-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Ditto on the big fat hill to the west of you being in the way.

For westside destinations, either Flexcar or take the bike onboard MAX then ride again once you get into Beaverton. Bear in mind (I think) that you'll need to reserve by phone when using Flexcar outside your home area, so plan ahead accordingly.

Unfortunately, Wilson Pool isn't well located for a MAX ride, but you can also take the bus (and strap the bike to the front rack as needed) down Terwilliger.

Check out the links for local bike maps (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34809) to find good paths to where you're going. Be aware that in the downtown core it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, but ok most other places. Bring a good lock! Even with a JCPenney cruiser we have a pretty foul bike theft problem.

Enjoy your trip! :D

I did setup a different account for portland. it was super easy too. should be good trip!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
07-26-2007, 02:38 PM
We need an out-of-towner's guide to biking in America's most bike friendly city.

Rixtir
07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
wow. thanks for all the responses back. i will look into the rose and chinese gardens.

thanks again!!Actually, the Chinese Garden is in NW, east of where you'll be staying, close to the Max line.

The Japanese Garden is in the same complex of parks (it's all kind of one big park) containing the zoo, the Rose Garden, Washington Park, and Forest Park, plus other things I'm forgetting about. Those are all west of where you'll be staying.

wrinkles
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
The Japanese Garden is in the same complex of parks (it's all kind of one big park) containing the zoo, the Rose Garden, Washington Park, and Forest Park, plus other things I'm forgetting about. Those are all west of where you'll be staying.
The Hoyt Arboretum, the Children's Museum, the Forestry Building (I've forgotten its new name), the Vietnam Memorial and the Holocaust Memorial also are within this complex. You can get to all of these on foot or bike by starting at the Zoo Max station or bus stop. You can ride downhill to your hostel in NW. Huge Forest Park extends north and west of these sites.