PDA

View Full Version : SE 45th near Rex

Matt P.
07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Last night (July 23rd), about 9:45pm. I was riding SB on 45th towards Johson Creek Blvd. I hit the downhill, and was coasting about 30 mph (the speed limit, possibly a bit faster - it was dark). I was wearing my bright yellow and green 2007 StP jersey and had a 10W Nite-Rider Trail Rat light on the front, fully charged and illuminated. A truck pulled out onto 45th from a side street in front of me (this was not the close call, though if he'd been slower this would be close call #1). I was quickly overtaking him, but he accelerated like a madman until he was moving just faster than I was. I was within 10' of coming alongside when he put on his right turn signal, and I began decelerating, expecting him to cut me off.

Yep, he did, and about a block earlier than I expected. I jammed both brakes all the way, and only avoided colliding with him when my back wheel fishtailed at the last instant. If I had not prepared when I saw the signal and attempted to get clear of his blind spot, we would have had a 25-30 mph sideswipe situation.

Moral of the story: You are invisible. Especially at night, even with a 10W lamp. You are doubly so if in a vehicle's blind spot. If this guy even saw me, he probably assumed he was faster and that I'd turned when he couldn't see me in his mirrors - I don't know for sure, I wasn't going to try to chase him uphill to talk to him at night.

Moral #2: Stay alert, and have an escape plan of some sort for any given road situation. Assume that at any moment, the other guys on the road could do something crazy. Don't be afraid, just be prepared.

Ok, soapbox moment over.

norse rider
07-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Glad you are alright.