PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist asked to move bike from public bike rack

SE Bike Rider
07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
As I was walking back to my office from the Coffee Plant this morning, I overheard something that made me so mad!

A bicyclist was in the process of locking her bike to one of those blue bike racks on the sidewalk of SW Broadway. A woman came out of Jeri Rice (an upscale clothing store) and asked the girl to move her bike to a different bike rack. The woman claimed that she needed to lock up the "store's bike" to the bike rack for advertising purposes.

I think I'm going to go park my bike there tomorrow morning to protest!
Public bike racks are for PUBLIC BIKE PARKING!

brock
07-23-2007, 09:27 AM
maybe that's where the zoobomb pile should go :)

donnambr
07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Is it that pink cruiser with the plant in the basket?

SE Bike Rider
07-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, it's the pink cruiser

wsbob
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Interesting. I've seen the lady's advertising bike on that rack out in front of her store many times. Kinda cute really, She's put some flowering annuals in the basket, things like that.

It's funny that she would want only her ad bike parked there. The rack will hold at least two bikes, right? Maybe she just doesn't want any of those fixie bikes down at the corner coffee shop parked in front of her store. She probably doesn't think any of those cat's bikes would create the suggestion that their riders might be shopping at her store. Maybe she would like it if 2-3 more of those girlie cruisers parked at the rack.

SE Bike Rider, was she nice about the way she asked the cyclist to mover her bike to another rack? That would count for something, but she sounds a bit out of touch. People are interesting. She probably has in mind something like painting the bike rack pink with strawberries or flowers or something.

fetishridr
07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
one that is 10 feet tall with metal panels welded between the tubes to obscure any view from the side?

next time tell her to eat a (your own favorite explitive inserted here)

was the woman told or asked to move the bike? if asked, igore the above response, if told, lets soldier on with this evil flower girl post :)

Carl
07-23-2007, 12:25 PM
It's cool that they've got a bikey ad campaign, but unless she's riding that bike to the shop and locking it up out front, she's just using public parking for advertising and avoiding getting a sign permit from the city. Whether she was "nice" about it or not, that's messed up. It makes me question the nature of their bikeyness. If she was really interested in business from bicyclists, she wouldn't tie up a parking space with her bike all day, ad or not. Weird.

wsbob
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure, because I'm not downtown everyday to notice, but I don't think the bike is being ridden. On 2-3 days a week when I have been downtown past the store, and it's closed, I've seen the bike parked inside the store.

Even if the lady merchant did ask a cyclist to move a bike so the merchant could park her ad bike there, it doesn't seem right for people to be mean to the merchant, particularly without knowing the whole story. She could be a perfectly friendly person with no particular intention to inconvenience cyclists. The whole thing could be a complete misunderstanding. Just the fact that she's using a bike to pitch fashion kind of suggests she might be supportive of bicycles. She's had some decent stuff in the window display. Nice mannequin's too, at least I like them.

We'll see how this goes. Maybe I'll drop in and say hello.

SE Bike Rider
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
a little clarification:

The lady was indeed nice about asking the cyclist to not park her bike on the rack.
If the business is bike friendly, awesome! But, in my opinion, why not park the bike in the window? near the mannequins? Or, how about the shop provide their own bike rack on the sidewalk for their "advertising" purposes.
Also to clarify, no...the bike is never ridden. They roll it out from the store and lock it up to the bike rack each day. There is also no sign on it advertising their store. It's just a pink bike locked up to the bike rack.

donnambr
07-24-2007, 11:54 AM
She probably has in mind something like painting the bike rack pink with strawberries or flowers or something.
I don't care what color a bike rack is so long as it's sturdy, well-designed and available for public use. It doesn't seem like the last point is the case.

Do the racks on that block fill up quickly?