PDA

View Full Version : Safety

horsecop
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I was reading an article about the North Plains and tickets for stop signs
In Hillsboro we try and accomodate most Cyclist but with lights and siren
going I have had bicycle riders pull out in front me out of habit of running stop signs. I live in Rural Washington county outside the now notorious North Plains and have the same troubles many of you have had when riding my horses. A couple of things you can do to help.
1) I seem to always come across a rider with Dark clothing on on West Union
at dusk or dawn. Most on the road wear very bright clothing. One other thing if you ride that stretch at dawn or dusk is the sun is directly in the drivers eyes.
2) I have actually had this happen in a patrol car going to an emergency
riders were across the road way. I had lights on but was trying not to scare the riders. I honked my horn and the on next to the center line told me I was number 1. Thats when the siren came on and I scared at least to gals in the front so bad they fell. Stay to the right so we dont have to do that
I was heading for a stabbing where the officer responding was by herself and every one else was on a crash. Fire has told me of similar incidents.
3) Keep your eyes out for wild life. I had a call about a month ago where
cyclist were talking to each other ( which by the way makes the ride go
faster) but they missed sighting the coyote 2 of them hit and went flying.
Coyote was ok the cyclist were cut but ok the bikes wheels, thats another story.
We in Hillsboro at least most of us anyway appreciate you folks being out there. In most area where cyclists are riding we dont have the crime calls
as frequently since the cycle traffic is great and if anyone is suspicious it gets called in. Be safe, Drink lots of water and keep on trucking.
By the way I dont think most of the gravel trucks and log trucks have breaks
So I would be looking for them and this time of year farm equipment is working and they travel slowly :)

Rixtir
07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I seem to always come across a rider with Dark clothing on on West Union at dusk or dawn. Most on the road wear very bright clothing. One other thing if you ride that stretch at dawn or dusk is the sun is directly in the drivers eyes.I was crossing a street in Ithaca, New York once when a driver nearly hit me. I lost it and started to chew him out. He responded very reasonably, apologizing and explaining that he had the sun in his eyes and didn't see me because I was wearing black-- I had just kind of blended into the color of the roadway. I really felt bad after that, going off on him like that, because I hadn't realized how I just blended in to the background.

Thanks for the tips.