PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Mystery Riders

Rixtir
07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
If anybody here was ticketed the other night, or if you know anybody who was ticketed, I'd be interested in talking to any riders who received a ticket for a nonexistent or otherwise unfair violation, such as having a reflector instead of a tail light. I'd like to assist you in getting some free legal help, if you're interested.

PM me.

SKiDmark
07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
815.280 Violation of bicycle equipment requirements; penalty.(1) A person commits the offense of violation of bicycle equipment requirements if the person does any of the following: (c) At the times described in the following, a bicycle or its rider must be equipped with lighting equipment that meets the described requirements: (A) The lighting equipment must be used during limited visibility conditions.(B) The lighting equipment must show a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front of the bicycle.(C) The lighting equipment must have a red reflector or lighting device or material of such size or characteristic and so mount-ed as to be visible from all distances up to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlights on a motor vehicle.

Some things I would like to point out:

1.The lighting can be attached to the bike or the rider. Good news for us people who have a blinky light or reflector on our backpack, and good news if the Police say the lights or reflectors must be attached to the bike.

2. Only a red reflector is required, not a red light. A red light can be substituted for a reflector.

Donald
07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about taillight placement on my uphill slog this evening and wondering if the lighting had to be attached to my equipment.

So I guess it's OK that my blinker is attached to my Timbuk.

But, if it goes out (my two toddlers LOVE to play Turn It On And Hide It), does the middle panel of my Timbuk count? It's that orange 3M reflective stuff.

Rixtir
07-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Donald, the only way to tell with absolute certainty would be to test the panel with the low beam of a car's head lights from 600 feet. If it's visible, you're legal. Keep in mind that the legal standard is a low bar, and you might want to exceed that for safety's sake.

Another way to go would be with a blinky that does double duty as a reflector:

Planet Bike Blinky 5 & Cateye TL-LD500 (http://www.mechbgon.com/visibility/active.html)