PDA

View Full Version : Saw some guy riding my stolen bike yesterday in St John's

ShinyFab
07-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I wanted to get this out ASAP. My bike was stolen June 6th from N Lombard and to my amazement, my husband saw some guy riding it around behind the Wishing Well between N Ivanhoe and N Lombard, a very few blocks from where it was stolen. We tried to chase him down, but of course he was too fast. He was between 35 & 40, around 200 lbs, about 6ft. He has dark brown hair and scruff. The bike is a silver GT Pantera with a black fork & handle bars. Single speed, free wheel with sun ryno tires. I got close enough for a good look at the bike and it looks like he hasn't changed anything as far as the speed, wheels, etc. The finetoothcog ad is here: http://www.finetoothcog.com/site/bike_matches/757 (http://www.finetoothcog.com/site/bike_matches/757)

The photo in the ad was taken before we changed the handle bars & fork, but it was the best one of the bike I have. Please call or e-mail me asap if you see it:
503-805-2190 or helgrenk@gmail.com. Thanks everyone.

Ps: yes, it was a cable lock. No, never making that mistake EVER again.

ShinyFab
07-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Another update on this. I got a call yesterday from a woman who saw a flyer I put up in Great Eats in St John's. Monday night she was on her way home and saw the police talking to the same guy I described and with my bike. She didn't realize the bike was mine until she took a closer look at the flyer and realized the fork had been changed out to a black one (due to an unfortunate run-in with a bike rack and a parking space cover). Apparently the cops just talked to this guy and let him go. This was Monday 16 July, the day after me and my husband tried to chase him down. I gave the cops a description of the bike and all when I talked to them on Sunday 15 July, but for some reason the cops didn't take my bike back on Monday night. Its frustrating. But it means this guy is dumb enough to ride around on it still. If you live in St John's and see this guy, please let me know. Myself and the woman who called saw him behind the Wishing Well on N Ivanhoe. Thanks.

Rixtir
07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Apparently the cops just talked to this guy and let him go.They may have gotten his I.D. when they talked with him. Or maybe they even know his name. Have you checked with the police to see if they have any record of the stop? The officers who made the stop might be able to help you out...

ShinyFab
07-19-2007, 06:30 PM
They may have gotten his I.D. when they talked with him. Or maybe they even know his name. Have you checked with the police to see if they have any record of the stop? The officers who made the stop might be able to help you out...

Actually, I did call North precinct and left a message. The detective got back to me today and I've sent him a copy of a flyer I made and is posted around St John's. Here's hoping . . .

Duncan
07-22-2007, 07:56 AM
My exwifes car was stolen, she reported it, and the cops knew where it was for more than a week and didnt tell her because it would have "interfered with an ongoing investigation." Meanwhile she had to buy another car, deal with the insurance only to have the cops calle her the day she was supposed to get everything settled and tell her that she had an hour to come get her car or they would tow it and charge her 200$.

:confused: