PDA

View Full Version : mounting expandable baton on frame

chopstic
07-14-2007, 10:50 PM
After having a few negative experiences myself and hearing about many incidents some of you have had, i came up with an idea of carrying one of those expandable batons like police officers carry with me while i ride. I figure i can mount it along the top tube and make it look like its just a tire pump. Hopefully i will never be put in a situation to actually need it, but it never hurts to be prepared for such an incident. Does anyone here in the forums mount any kind of "angry driver" protection on your bike, i'd love to hear any suggestions.

BillD
07-15-2007, 09:39 AM
........................... but it never hurts to be prepared for such an incident..........................

Preparation should include professional instruction in any implement you plan to employ for self defense.

misc.
07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Does anyone here in the forums mount any kind of "angry driver" protection on your bike, i'd love to hear any suggestions.

If it ever came to that, I imagine I'd rely on my trusty u-lock. Thankfully, it's never gotten that tense for me.

toddistic
07-15-2007, 03:15 PM
if it ever came to blows you should just ride away and call 911. assaulting someone even in defence is open for interpretation (and in the presence of car centric society isnt going to fair well). it would be much safer to use something such as pepper spray to deter an attacker than a baton.

next someone should suggest we carry guns because some car drivers can.

PDXGS
07-15-2007, 03:36 PM
next someone should suggest we carry guns because some car drivers can.
Pepper spray and a cell phone are likely to be more effective. Of course, developing a good sense of situational awareness will often prevent one from getting into a self defense situation in the first place. Not everyone out there is well-intentioned and sometimes they are trying to hit us.
Re: firearms
Anyone with a concealed carry permit can carry a gun on their person, concealed. Carry a gun if you feel you must but please educate yourself as to the many possible consequeces if you should ever have to use it in self defense.

Val
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I actually did this a few years ago, choosing a baton over the other implements mentioned as being something much less likely to have unintended impact on anyone not involved (pepper spray drifts, sometimes onto the weilder, and bullets carry - not to be used in urban situations). It was easy to camofalge, and I actually carried it a few times, but it didn't take long before I realized that I was nowhere near paranoid enough to keep up such a silly charade. It is much easier to avoid situations in which it might be useful, and to project an image that makes it unnecessary. I guess that if I had a route that included many vicious dogs, I might reconsider, but barring that, it's just ridiculous.

Rixtir
07-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Better read up on self-defense for bicyclists:

http://stc-law.com/bicycle_selfdefense.html

pidamos
07-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Mounting..hmm. I don't know about that. You could just carry it in a backpack or wear some sort of cargo pants/shorts. There's also the option of a holster for your belt too.

pidamos
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Or just stic it up his chop!

blknwhtfoto
07-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Two of these would probably work out. In the last month, I've come really close to being physically "involved" with three drivers after they stopped and got out of their car. I'm considering this option as well. I keep one in my camera bag when I shoot in sketchy areas(east orange nj, eg).

Be safe though. Just because you have a weapon doesn't mean you know how to use it.

Mike

Donald
07-17-2007, 09:58 PM
The first raging CCL bearer or off-duty cop you pull the thing on will totally skate through grand jury proceedings after he triple taps some hollow-points into your center of mass. It's a potentially deadly weapon and will be percieved as such.

Carrying one in a bag or otherwise out of sight may open you up to conceled weapons charges.

I haven't passed the bar, but seems to me that just the act of carrying one, in or out of sight, would help any Lionel Hutz form an intent argument against you in criminal and/or civil court.

If Ghandi rode a bike, it wouldn't have an asp attached.

(But, boy howdy, it'd be nice to use one on those damn F-350 mirrors that always seem to be hanging over the bike lane, wouldn't it?)

chopstic
07-17-2007, 10:25 PM
it really is getting pathetic when you can't even carry a stick without it being considered a "dangerous weapon".

Donald
07-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Chopstic, to be clear, this isn't a "stick" we're talking about.

This is a military-grade tactical weapon. Its intended purpose is to allow the user to gain to control of a person through intimidation or pain, be it through striking or leverage.

It also comes in handy when you need to break tempered safety glass as one might find in a car window.

If you carry one, you have to be aware that this is not a toy.

Oh, and it sounds like a 12-gauge racking up when you deploy it, too. Pretty cool, eh?

Not your typical bit of bike gear, if you ask me.

chopstic
07-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Chopstic, to be clear, this isn't a "stick" we're talking about.

This is a military-grade tactical weapon.
hmmm... it may be convenient to store in a small space, but lets face it, once the thing is extended, its just a metal stick with with a ball on the end. This isn't cutting-edge-splitting-the-atom technology here, just a metal stick. As far as I'm concerned an automobile is a far more deadly weapon, and there are statistics to prove that. But after doing some research it turns out Oregon does not allow its citizens to carry metal sticks, sounds ridiculous, but its true.

PoPo
07-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Donald said exactly what I was thinking. You had better be justified in using deadly force if you come at someone with one of those, as that is what most courts would probably decide you are doing. And your attackee would most likely be justified in using deadly force to defend him/herself.

They're heavy anyway. You don't want to strap one to your carbon-fiber bike. Pepper Spray is much better.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
rixter (as usual) provides a very helpful link. If you're going to carry a deadly weapon, it's important to know the very unusual circumstances in which it's legal to use.

Donald's assertion that carrying a weapon establishes intent to commit a crime is pretty amusing. If memory serves, Lionel Hutz is not a member of the Bar either -- which is why he refers to himself as "a law-talking guy" rather than a lawyer -- so basically Donald and Lionel have the same credentials here. You wouldn't let an amateur physician perform surgery on you, so you probably shouldn't take legal advice from an amateur lawyer, either.

And PoPo is happy for himself and his fellow police officers to carry deadly weapons, but discourages you from doing so. You're much easier to subdue that way. LOL.

DirtUniMan
07-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I too considered an telescopic baton. I talked to some folks in law enforcement and they said I could actually end up on the wrong side of the law using these things. I have had confrontations where someone tried to get me and I simply ran into them on by bike with my bob trailer and then sped off. I now carry pepper spray if I'm feeling paranoid and always have my cell phone easily ready to use. It's good to be able to defend yourself but it will probably end up as your word against another persons when you're explaining it to the cops. In the confrontation I had, the cop was a jerk about it and claimed I provoked the driver which was bs. Having a device that may be illegal might work against you.
Be safe

SpyT
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
In most cases... once the steel baton is expanded and gazed upon by the problematic person(s), they will retreat. After expanding mine in several situations, the person(s) causing trouble backed off almost immediately.

phiguy
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I have to agree with SpyT. I have had several experiences where the device was used as a deterrent rather then a weapon. However I don't feel its all that necessary when I'm on my bike. You can usually out run (ride) them or if the poop really hits the fan a u-lock would be better than something that is illegal to have.

Ride safe, and if you do get a baton hope that you never have to use it.

chopstic
07-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Someone should manafacture a bicycle pump made of metal that when fully expanded is "coincidentally" very sturdy, i believe something like that could really sell

K'Tesh
12-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm actually glad that they don't make pumps stronger so you can use them as weapons.

10/8/1990 Phoenix, Oregon...

I was run off the road by a motorist while turning from S. Rose St. onto Elm (at that time a dead end street).

The A**H***S in the car had no where to go, except thru me... So that's what they did... After I chased them down, and words were exchanged, I opted to grab for my frame mounted pump. I don't remember what happened next... They (three men) used MY pump against me. But it broke (over my head, or was it when they hit me in the mouth putting a tooth thru my lip). Had it been more solid? Who Knows? They drove off after neighbors came out to find out what all the racket was (me screaming)... No one came forward with the license plate or description other than it was a small white car w/California plates. They were never caught.

That was the 2nd of my 10/8 concussions... I've had two on 10/8 (89/90)
10/8/89 dragged off a 30ft drop (headfirst) by my kite while I was strapped into my harness (8pk 6' FlexiFoils w/500lb test line)
10/8/91 was the flu,
10/8/92 was a bad nosebleed,
10/8/93 I got fired from taco bell (thought that my luck changed for the better!)
10/8/99 I cut my thumb open (to the bone)(while I was in bed),
10/8/01 it was a twit returning to work and making my life hell after she'd been laid off,
10/8/06 was the flu again,

Nothing happened this year on 10/8... but it remembered it was late and nailed me on 10/12 instead (Bike v. Car in Beaverton (guess who lost (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1262)) :mad:)

I HATE October 8th!!! :mad:

(some people have one of "those days" I have one of "those Lives")
Be Careful Out There!
K'Tesh

ChipSeal
12-15-2007, 03:21 AM
One can have a plan.

If I am riding and forced to stop, and attacked by someone on foot, this is my general plan- Raise my hands before my face with fingers extended and palms out. Shout "Don't hurt me!" at least twice. Then attempt to grab his collar/neck/hair/head and head-butt his face as hard as I can with my helmet as many times as I can.

If I prevail and I put him off his feet, I will then attempt to snatch his keys and ride away.

No plan survives contact with the enemy.

One might be interested in googleing ResQme.

geoff
12-15-2007, 06:37 AM
My plan is to rely heavily on the training I received while wrestling in Middle school and High school for six years. In addition, I have spent the last nearly, six years studying Taekwon Do. Combined with my the many miles I put on my bike, and the fact that I'm 6' tall and 215lbs, I'm most likely bigger and in much better shape then my attacker.

I would disable, as best as I could, the attacker with a sharp roundhouse kick to the knee. I would make sure to be screaming and yelling so people noticed what was going on. I would then run as quickly as possible to a safe location where I would use my most powerful weapon, the cell phone, to call the police.

No matter how much training, or planning you have, the longer you stick around in a situation like this, the better chance you have of getting seriously hurt.

The best thing you can do in any situation like this is to yell, run, and call the police!!

flying_dutchman
12-15-2007, 08:54 AM
I built a little whacking stick by running a length of clear plastic hose into an opaque water bottle so that about 6" extended beyond the bottle top, then filled the bottle with expanding foam. This thing has enough mass to really sting, but in no way could it be considered a deadly weapon. It sits in my second bottle cage, and the only times I have pulled it out were when I wash my bike.

The times I have been menaced I just rode away.