PDA

View Full Version : How much did the "I Share the Road Class" save you?

Cecil M
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I just got back from a short experience in traffic court for the stop sign I didn't stop at in Ladds Addition. Beyond being cited for "failure to stop at a traffic control device" I also recieved citations for "failure to recognize a one way street sign" and "going the wrong way on a one way". All told the charges added up to $750.00. The officer who pulled me over gave me the chance to take the "I Share the Road" class. I took the class which cost me 30 dollars and went to court today where the officer offered to drop the stop sign charge $246.00, to failure to use a proper turn signal $93.00. and drop the other two charges. Because of my clean record the judge dropped the charge to $73.00.
Having an acccepting attitude to my traffic violation and jumping through the judicial hoops in a punctual manor saved me $650.00.
anybody else had a simillar experience?

bikieboy
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
That's a goodly wad o' cash. How was the class? Any value therein, or merely something to be endured? I'd spend a couple hours in hell for $650...

SpeedRacer
07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I just got back from a short experience in traffic court for the stop sign I didn't stop at in Ladds Addition.

It's too bad you neanderthal "the rules of the road dont apply to me" types get to wiggle out with stuff like this. If I had my way you'd spend a few days in jail.

wsbob
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Tell you what...I don't even want to have to spend $73 for such an infraction. Cecil M, I hope at least, as some consolation, that your road manoeuvres in Ladd Addition really, really justified the citation you got and what you're having to go through to get this straightened out.

mizake
07-13-2007, 08:08 AM
It's too bad you neanderthal "the rules of the road dont apply to me" types get to wiggle out with stuff like this. If I had my way you'd spend a few days in jail.

Jail? Really? That seems pretty excessive. Good thing you can't have your way.

cecilanne
07-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Tell you what...I don't even want to have to spend $73 for such an infraction. Cecil M, I hope at least, as some consolation, that your road manoeuvres in Ladd Addition really, really justified the citation you got and what you're having to go through to get this straightened out.

Huh? If I understand the post correctly, Cecil M (to whom I bear no relation, thank you very much) not only ran a stop sign but was riding the wrong way down a one-way street - in my book those three maneuvers would, indeed, justify the citation.

Cecil M
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM
hey bikieboy the class was alright. While most of the info is common sense I did learn about pedestrian rights and that cyclists by law should stop for pedestrians crossing the street. Lots of things like that. I was ready to go after 3 hours but is was far from hell. And while I did stop at probably 75% of stop signs before the incident I stop now stop at 90%.

brock
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I did learn about pedestrian rights and that cyclists by law should stop for pedestrians crossing the street.

Say wha? You didn't already know this?

dawndol
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, but at the same time, before my friend got a ticket for going through a yellow light at the foot of a hill on her bike, I had no idea there was even an official state bike manual. There's no driver's ed., no mandatory bike insurance, no incentive really for increasing public awareness about bike laws. And boy, is there very little public awareness (that's based on the 10 people or so I see every day breaking some bike law). You have to seek the information yourself.

The state's bike manual is pretty good, really. And it's online. I learned a lot as a newbie commuter.

wsbob
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
cecilanne, looks like I'm getting careless in reading. I'll agree, going the wrong way on a one-way is bad. Rolling through stop signs? Against the law, but not necessarily so bad if done carefully in certain specific situations, and with moderation. I'm hoping the police dept didn't cite every single cyclist that cautiously, slowly rolled through a stop sign when there were no other cars, cyclists, or pedestrians around.

Naturally, the police squad car would likely have been quietly sitting a block away.

cecilanne
07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
cecilanne, looks like I'm getting careless in reading. I'll agree, going the wrong way on a one-way is bad. Rolling through stop signs? Against the law, but not necessarily so bad if done carefully in certain specific situations, and with moderation. I'm hoping the police dept didn't cite every single cyclist that cautiously, slowly rolled through a stop sign when there were no other cars, cyclists, or pedestrians around.

Naturally, the police squad car would likely have been quietly sitting a block away.

We can debate forever the wisdom of rolling stops (and then complaining about being ticketed) when the law does not recognize them, but in this particular instance, Cecil M didn't mention being cautious, just being caught. Given the "wrong-way" riding part, I am willing to guess that "cautious" was not an element of Cecil M's actions.

Cecil M
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
cecilanne,
the wrong way citaitons came when I realized that I was going to get a ticket and attempted to evade the officer by turning left instead of following the road around the circle. Yeah the cop caught me three blocks down the street and we both laughed about my attempt to get away. It wasn't the safest decision I have ever made but with adrenaline flowing and a cop chasing...........

10e
07-13-2007, 03:02 PM

I just got back from traffic court this afternoon for allegedly rolling through a stop sign on SE Clinton and 11th Ave (11th ave is a 1-way). I truly feel that I crossed the intersection safely and followed the intentions of the law completely.

During the court proceeding, I got to cross exam motorcycle officer Housley (sp?) and I asked him what he considered a complete stop on a bicycle is. The judge interrupted to answer for the officer to say the law states the wheels must not be moving (how could this be determined from in back of the rider?). I truly believe this officer thinks that you must put a foot down because that is the only rational reason he could have given me a ticket (unless he was quickly trying to fill a quota of bike tickets in the area?).

Basically it came down to my word against the officer's and the judge ruled guilty as charged and reduced my fine from $242 to $182. This is what I expected.

I feel like I was 'taking one for the team' by going to court instead of taking the class to get out of the fine and remove the violation from my driving record. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe others will pursue this course as well. It will cost you some bank, precious time and probably will raise your blood pressure. Perhaps if the same judge starts to see enough similar cases they might rule for the defendant. However, I'm pessimistic that it will change things. The traffic court process was just as arbitrary as the ticket...

I'm reluctant to ride my bike with the increased randomness of tickets that have been issued in the SE area in the last few months (they have been reported on this site en mass). Good luck riding and all I can say is if you see a motorcycle cop on your route - your best bet is to stop and walk your bike on the sidewalk. I really mean that.

Tbird
07-13-2007, 03:46 PM
...and remove the violation from my driving record.

Here's where I get confused.
No Driver's license required to ride a bike. No particular traffic control for a bike,like bike signals (other than a single isolated one). No insurance required to ride a bike. No training or certification required to ride a bike. So, why then does your driving record get impacted by a ticket for riding a bike? What if I have no Driver's license? How is my record impacted then?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Rixtir
07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
That's a goodly wad o' cash. How was the class? Any value therein, or merely something to be endured? I'd spend a couple hours in hell for $650...Would you obey the law for $650? Or is hell the upper limit of what you'd do?

Rixtir
07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
cecilanne,
the wrong way citaitons came when I realized that I was going to get a ticket and attempted to evade the officer by turning left instead of following the road around the circle. Yeah the cop caught me three blocks down the street and we both laughed about my attempt to get away. It wasn't the safest decision I have ever made but with adrenaline flowing and a cop chasing...........Another violation, and probably a criminal offense at that. You're lucky you didn't end up in jail and only had $750 in citations.

Rixtir
07-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I just got back from traffic court this afternoon for allegedly rolling through a stop sign on SE Clinton and 11th Ave (11th ave is a 1-way). I truly feel that I crossed the intersection safely and followed the intentions of the law completely.Your words indicate that the allegation was true. So why say "allegedly"?

During the court proceeding, I got to cross exam motorcycle officer Housley (sp?) and I asked him what he considered a complete stop on a bicycle is. The judge interrupted to answer for the officer to say the law states the wheels must not be moving (how could this be determined from in back of the rider?). I truly believe this officer thinks that you must put a foot down because that is the only rational reason he could have given me a ticket (unless he was quickly trying to fill a quota of bike tickets in the area?).

Basically it came down to my word against the officer's and the judge ruled guilty as charged and reduced my fine from $242 to $182. This is what I expected.

I feel like I was 'taking one for the team' by going to court instead of taking the class to get out of the fine and remove the violation from my driving record. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe others will pursue this course as well. It will cost you some bank, precious time and probably will raise your blood pressure. Perhaps if the same judge starts to see enough similar cases they might rule for the defendant. However, I'm pessimistic that it will change things. The traffic court process was just as arbitrary as the ticket...In all seriousness, not to be critical or anything, but you just don't understand the law, or the court, and that is why you lost your case.

I'm reluctant to ride my bike with the increased randomness of tickets that have been issued in the SE area in the last few months (they have been reported on this site en mass). Good luck riding and all I can say is if you see a motorcycle cop on your route - your best bet is to stop and walk your bike on the sidewalk. I really mean that.I have no fear of motorcycle cops. But then, I don't break the law. Allegedly.

wsbob
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
"the wrong way citaitons came when I realized that I was going to get a ticket and attempted to evade the officer by turning left instead of following the road around the circle." Cecil M

Cecil M!! Evading the officer?!! Now that's just outright dangerous. Never, never do that. I'm basically respectful of police, but I also consider them to be....how else can I say it?.....potentially crazy. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear you say the officer called 3-4 of his buddies and had you thrown down on the pavement and in cuffs.

(later that evening...)
Having thought about it for awhile, I think I'm realizing that you attempted to evade before the officer had approached or signaled for you to stop...I hope. I guess otherwise, both of you wouldn't have been having a good laugh about it all!

Donald
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Sounds to me as if you put your life, the officer's life and possibly the lives of innocent citizens in danger by trying to evade a lawful stop.

Do you have any idea what goes through a cop's mind when someone tries to flee as you've described? Can you stop with the Wonder Years narrative just long enough to sympathize with all the people whose valuable time and professional effort you wasted with your middle-schooler's stunt?

And you have the temerity to post your story here? Do you really expect any sympathy?

Holy heck, CM. Am I missing something? Because it seems to me you got far less than you deserved.

Based on what I've read here, I feel that you're the problem. Not the cops. And you just keep dragging down the image of all cyclists with you in your vain description of your clever travails within the halls of justice.

It's probably very inappropriate, but I just have to say this: What a (rhymes with stick).