PDA

View Full Version : Glass in the path!

dennis
07-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't know if it's just me but has anyone else noticed there's more broken glass in the bike routes around town this year? I'm wondering if it's a conspiracy to discourage bike riding, a way for tire/tube manufacturers/sellers to make more money, or just stupid people who like to hear the sound of breaking glass?

Also thought it might be relevent to note there's quite a lot of glass on the Bybee bridge west bound, Marine Drive path about midway along the airport, and on Woodstock between SE 43rd and 42nd westbound.

Kosmo
07-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I picked up some of that glass along Marine drive last weekend for everyone, unfortunately I used my rear tire to pick it up, it took three patches.

mizake
07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
I saw some glass on the Esplanade just North of OMSI and kicked it off the path. I would've picked it up and disposed of it, but I was running REALLY late.

Oldguyonabike
07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
The city says they clean 92nd about every 4-6 wks but I can't tell. There's always glass northbound by Lents Park. Foster Rd must have daily car wrecks. I've had two flats at the Johnson Creek / Fuller Rd intersection alone. Maybe if the bottle deposit were raised people would start recycling somewhere other than out their car windows. I carry a handbroom and stop when I can, but some of them are just too big and frequent to tackle.

cecilanne
07-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I started noticing excessive glass on popular bike routes last summer. I don't mean debris on the shoulders of busy roads that happen to have bike lanes - I kind of expect that from our nation of litterbugs. The glass I have noticed has been in places like the Esplanade, the Springwater Corridor, the Hawthorne Bridge, Marine Drive path, the I-205 path, etc. I have chalked it up to the anti-biking brigade and not tube manufacturers out for our money. I once stopped to clean up a huge pile of glass on the Hawthorne Bridge and got yelled at by a rider to get out of the way (note: I was facing him, saw him coming and was moving out of his way at the time, while also trying to warn him about the glass - he couldn't hear me over his iPod . . .).

wsbob
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Anti-bike brigade? That word implies a far more intelligent mentality than who is really more likely to be behind this kind of nonsense. I figure it's simply the work of drunk morons or people getting their kicks out of behaving like them.

cecilanne
07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
What, you haven't heard of the ABB? They're everywhere, perhaps even in our closets as we speak. Along with all the other turns of phrase used merely to provide rhetorical color. :p

wsbob
07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
The ABB is only a rhetorical figment?! Well that's a relief. I'd be concerned if bike haters behind wheels had become sufficiently motivated in their petty animosity to the point of conducting orchestrated campaigns of treachery, raining broken glass upon bike lanes so as to put cyclists in peril.

Yes, it's well and good to have a nice selection of turns of phrase in our closets to keep things lively, just as long as when the subject is one sort of horrific in nature, they don't bring the thing whimsically spoken of to body and form. Don't need no real life ABB's, please.

toddistic
07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
for anyone interested i'm a member of the AABB (that would be the anti-anti bike brigade) for late night patrols to accost these treacherous ABB baffoons and their tom foolery!!

WOBG
07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
From elsewhere on bikeportland.org, the phone number for PDOT road maintenance (including glass sweeping) is 503-823-1700. Call!

But I gotta say, Portland streets generally are super-clean compared to others I've ridden---Chicago and Sacramento, for example. I get hardly any glass flats here.

donnambr
07-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: changing the bottle deposit to $0.25 would make a huge difference. People are far less likely to throw away a quarter than a nickel.

beelnite
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
There's a considerable number of fender benders in outer SE - my bike lanes are always chock full of window glass, broken taillights, turn signals headlights, etc. When an accident occurs the bike lane appears to be used as the sweep off zone.

Headlight glass is probably more dangerous to a bike tire than window glass. Windshields and side windows are designed to shatter into roundish pebble-sized chunks to lessen injury for passengers involved in a crash... that's comforting isn't it?

Still it's disconserting, but it would be expensive I guess to completely clean up after every fender bender... seriously around Gateway/Stark/Burnside there must be at least 5-6 a day. I witness maybe 2-3 a month on my route alone.

Sigh - we're "sharing" with the motor vehicles- but it's still obviously their streets. Count blessings. Portland is better than most!

Citizen Beelnite

SpeedRacer
07-18-2007, 07:02 PM
There's a considerable number of fender benders in outer SE - my bike lanes are always chock full of window glass, broken taillights, turn signals headlights, etc.

This is one of the many problems with bike lanes. Most cars will observe the bike path lanes, and this leads to debris accumulation within the bike path. Whereas, if there was not a bike lane, car tires would be picking up some of the junk that our bike tires do instead.

On the bright side, there are fewer cars rear-ending cyclists (or cyclists, zoobombers or random idiots, in that order). It's a trade-off. What I do, is always be sure I'm wearing a helmet when in one of these bike lanes. Cars pass helmet-wearing riders at a closer distance, as the car drivers assume the helmet wearers are more competent and predictable.

This leads to less debris in the bike lanes that I ride on.

beelnite
07-20-2007, 03:21 PM
What I do, is always be sure I'm wearing a helmet when in one of these bike lanes. Cars pass helmet-wearing riders at a closer distance, as the car drivers assume the helmet wearers are more competent and predictable.

This leads to less debris in the bike lanes that I ride on.

Awesome technique!:rolleyes: There was some study to that effect not to long ago wasn't there? It pointed out that driver's tend to be more cautious around who they percieved as novice, inexperienced or female (doh!) riders. (Some guy donned a blonde wig to prove it.) I wish I could find the source. This might be a good one to reference in that "Why don't you wear a helmet?" thread!

Please I am not responsible for the blatant sexism on behalf of drivers - the report made the claims not me!

Duncan
07-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Awesome technique!:rolleyes: There was some study to that effect not to long ago wasn't there? It pointed out that driver's tend to be more cautious around who they percieved as novice, inexperienced or female (doh!) riders. (Some guy donned a blonde wig to prove it.) I wish I could find the source. This might be a good one to reference in that "Why don't you wear a helmet?" thread!

Please I am not responsible for the blatant sexism on behalf of drivers - the report made the claims not me!

I would have thought that most male drivers (especialy under the age of 25) would be so busy looking at the woman on the bike that they would either a- steer twoards what they were looking at or b) cause an acciedent due to distraction.

:rolleyes: