PDA

View Full Version : Tires...

punkfairy
03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
I've been getting lots of flats lately (about 5 times in the last 2 weeks) and I was wondering if this means I need new tires? I know I need a new rear tire because it's bulging a lot on the side at one point, but could worn out tires be the cause of so many flats?

Pagani
03-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Not an expert...just a rider, but I know sometimes answers around here are few and far between so I'll put in my two cents.

Yes, of course worn-out tires can increase the number of flats, and if you have a bulge at one point in the tire, it needs replacing. But that's not the only thing involved.

For instance, how is your air pressure? Do you check it regularly? I think low pressure is maybe the number one cause of flats. In general, it seems that tire pressure should be kept in the *upper* end of the range indicated on the side of the tire.

Then there is the whole thing about where you ride...getting a lot of debris lately? It helps if you know what kind of flats you are getting. Like, if you are pulling nails out of your tires, that's a hint. If it is much more non-specific then I go back to the pressure issue.

But by all means, get new tires anyway if you are changing so many flats. :)

Pagani

punkfairy
03-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the help! I went ahead and got new tires today, I figured the back one was finished anyway so I might as well just do it and see if that helps. I did run over a staple a few weeks ago, which was my first flat recently, but then it seems like I've been getting flats front and back ever since then, so I don't know.

But now I have new tires and fresh new tubes, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe I just need to start looking where I'm going... ;-)

Thanks!

thinpaperwings
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Did the new tires do the trick?

punkfairy
03-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Hard to say at this point. I've only had one ride since I put the new tires on. It was 45 miles and no flats, so I suppose that's a good sign. :-)