PDA

View Full Version : another abandoned nice bike??

fetishridr
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
there is an 06' bianchi pista locked to a pole (ulock) on a popular street in SE. it has been there for about a week. upon riding by this morning i saw that the wheels were removed/stolen (who knows), they're crap wheels anyway.

you see, i would like to take the frame if it has been abandoned. i think it has been because had it been my bike and i lost the key to the u lock, i would take the time to cut the lock and save my Precious.

so anyway, i am going to give it one more day for the meth-heads to steal, (starting tues) and then i'm going to take the frame. if anyone thinks its theirs, i will cross reference the serial number for you if you come upon this post later than tomorrow. i'm afraid that if i wait longer and go through the proper channels, someone with my same idea will take the bike while i do the uber honorable thing and try to wade through the beaurocracy of the MAN.

if it is yours and know remember where you parked it. WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING LEAVING YOUR BIKE ON A BUSY STREET TO GET PICKED APART. i will cross reference stolen bike listings for the bike upon its removal and post here if it is indeed stolen (prior to my street cleaning removal)

if anyone voices strong objections i'll back off. AND if anyone's interest gets sparked by my idea and goes to remove the frame tonight, shame on you, i called dibs on it.

wsbob
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
fetishridr, the only thing I'd say, is that I believe there is some division of the police dept that goes around and tags bikes that are suspected of being abandoned. Then, after another period of time passes, how much, I've no idea, the bike gets collected by the dept. I expect. I wish I had ready information of what that division was, and what extension you'd need to connect with.

I'm not saying what you should do, but you might want to be aware of the period of time the police allow for such bikes, given that this one actually is locked up to a pole, and you'd have to bust the lock to get the frame.

People do weird things, like get thrown in jail for a couple weeks for relatively small offenses. They lock up their bike not knowing they were going to get arrested and wouldn't be able to come get it. I don't know what I'd do in this situation. Maybe...maybe cut the lock and take the bike, and in addition to the efforts to locate the owner that you already mentioned, maybe make a sticker or a poster with a message to call to I.D. the frame, and attach it to the pole.

I saw someones Bianchi pista downtown tonight. Those are nice bikes.

mizake
07-11-2007, 06:13 AM
like wsbob said above, you really don't know what the circumstances are regarding this bike. i would leave it alone.

fetishridr
07-11-2007, 08:47 AM
if its still there next week i'll reconsider. i'm sure someone else will have rescued it by then however. the last thing i need to do is explain why i am cutting a lock on a bike that doesnt yet belong to me.

rainperimeter
07-12-2007, 02:53 AM
i don't know. i never noticed, or notice now, many bikes left on poles for long here in portland. i moved to minneapolis for a couple years. that shit happens there all the time. i don't get it. college town? completely horrible weather? hard to say. i had my eye on a bike outside an apartment building in the elliot park neighborhood. it sat and sat and got picked to pieces. i figured that was fine as it was the frame i wanted anyways. then one day it was gone. damn.

but that wasn't a new(er? ish?) pista either. just a nice steel, lugged frame.

wsbob
07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
fetishrider, I don't know why I didn't think of this before: Why don't you just go get the serial number and call up the police to see if it's been reported stolen? You don't have to actually wait to cut the lock and take the frame to do that. At the same time, you could find out about the wait period adhered to by the abandoned bike detail.

The police may give you the information if they know the bike is not actually in your possession. In making the inquiry under these circumstances, they might be able to recognize that you're not trying to steal something that isn't yours, but rather, considering the possibility of salvaging something that is likely abandoned. Of course, if you did call, and then took the bike, they might figure out that you were the guy that took it, not that they really have the time or inclination to care for something related to a broken down bike. They just want to catch bad guys.

You'd still have to deal with actually being observed while cutting the lock to get the bike. Where did I read recently about public reaction to this kind of thing? Seems like WW did a little experiment with a set-up bike steal. Almost nobody passing by gave it a second thought. Being ready to offer an honest, informed explanation might be important here.

Really though, I'd hope that for a possible owner out there looking for the bike, and for your own integrity, you'd want to do everything as legitimate as possible.

fetishridr
07-12-2007, 09:59 AM
with all of this hullaballoo the bike could already be in my possession. after reading the post about the rescued dumped bike downtown, i have no intention of calling the police, as they did nothing to help the other dude with the same problem. i think my chances are better to just cut the lock in broad daylight and call it good.
i will post to let everyone know whether or not i get arrested, and i will return the frame if anyone claims it months down the road.

chopstic
07-18-2007, 10:36 PM
i am going to give it one more day for the meth-heads to steal, (starting tues) and then i'm going to take the frame.

Dang fetishridr, remind me to never park my car in your neighborhood... well actually... let me upgrade my insurance to include theft coverage... and then its all yours

wsbob
07-19-2007, 09:18 AM
fetishridr, any details on the frame rescue? Did you get it? Any questions asked by people passing by?

fetishridr
07-19-2007, 11:59 AM
it was gone as of monday when i got back to town. next time i'll have no mercy.

Rixtir
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
it was gone as of monday when i got back to town. next time i'll have no mercy.Maybe it was taken by the owner?

Anyway, this was interesting, on craigslist today:

I STOLE: Yellow Trek 1200 (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/377539003.html)

I STOLE: yellow trek 1200 on 12th and ankeny
Reply to: sale-377539003@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-07-19, 11:57AM PDT

To whom it may concern:

I am the one who took the sign off of the pole and took the yellow Trek 1200 road bike. If you would like to come forward and admit to being the one riding my stolen bike my number is 503.449.5672. You have alot of balls locking my bike up outside, 4 blocks from where it was stolen from me two weeks ago. Thank god for toolkits and ladders, but my problem is now that your fucking lock is still on my bike.

If you would like your lock back, as well as this nice fender you have so thoughtfully added, I will be more than happy to let you come unlock it for me. If you don't call me within a couple hours, however, the lock will be cut, and the fender will be mine. I'd rather you come and unlock it as this is a nice lock that will be very hard to break.

Like I said, feel free to call me, but just consider yourself lucky I didn't see you riding it down the street. I know you probably bought it from some crackhead for cheap, but this is what you get for riding my stolen bike.

Once again, 503.449.5672

Thanks,
Jordan

fetishridr
07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
it was parked on 28th and ankeny, perhaps all of you rode by enviously wondering if it was stolen or just a lost key, or possibly just the owner being in jail for a few weeks as was suggested.

the owner of the trek can get a hacksaw and use some elbow grease to cut off the lock. congrats on the find. i am still waiting to ninja kick the SOB off of my mt bike when i find him or her (99/00 Gary Fisher Mt Tam- blue red black, XTR/XT build, Rock Shox SID fork , black, time atac pedals) if you did purchase this bike from a crack head i'd be willing to buy it back if its in your possession.

wsbob
07-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Bummer about the Pista frame fetishridr. Hope you don't feel some of us unwisely influenced you to not to snag the bike earlier. I saw the ad in craigslist from the owner of the recovered Trek. That was something.

There's tons of slack in the way of knowledge about how and where its' critical to secure bikes. Last Monday (day after STP weekend) I came into town about 4pm, walked down through the S Pk blks to Shemanski square across from the Paramount/schnitzer theatre. There, cable/combi locked only around the frame to a tree was a nice browin Gary Fisher Mt bike. I thought that was deadly stupid or an act of ignorance, but nobody nearby seemed to belong to it so I walked on. Later that evening when I came back about 8-9 pm, it was, amazingly, still there, intact, but I took the time to write the person a little note and tucked it somewhere on the bike where they'd find it.

The lesson of this story could be any number of things. One I'm pretty sure of though, if I'm getting the message straight, is that a thief with a pair of bolt cutters could probably have had that bike in about 15 seconds.